AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-06, 11:18   Link #21
Irkalla
I asked for this

Yeah, I have also read about those, some kinda psychoactive drugs too. Which is ironic, because people who suffer because of depression, schizophrenia etc also get some kind of those, and among the side effects are bad nightmares,insomnia etc..So go figure. I might have mixed something up though xD But in any case, medication should really be your last resort.
Old 2010-02-06, 13:05   Link #22
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Actually I think I've read somewhere about drugs for dreamless sleep, but the body gets used to them over time...but yeah I'd like to get over this normally
Note that I'm not so much bothered by the dreams themselves (although it IS tedious), but the fact that I wake up tired, as if I haven't recovered at all.
Err.. I know this is the most stereotypical response..you need to tire yourself out more.. I remember during the summer I was working full time, and was only sleeping 3-4 hours everyday ( I have a lot of sleeping problems, as do most people on my moms side of the family).

Short of lucid dreaming, I don't think theres any way to actually control what you dream ( even lucid dreaming isnt really that). Well, maybe I should replace control with predict. I dont know about any drugs that will ensure dreamless sleep, and I dont think you can ever know if your sleep was dreamless either. Just because you dont remember it doesnt necessarily mean you didnt dream. Either way I can't really comment. Now if its about psychoactive drugs that make you dream when you're awake , thats a different story all together. eh.. second-hand of course
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 19:19   Link #23
Lost Cause

Re;Dreams

Not really as your not giving your brain new stimuli to 'feed' off of. While it might give you a good dream just to get out of the box so to speak. I find if I have a boring day I either don't dream or have dreams that make me say "What the hell was that about?!" But if I have an active day (and being a mom of 2 everyday can be an adventure!)I usually have great dreams! Again just my $0.2 cents worth.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 02:41   Link #24
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Err.. I know this is the most stereotypical response..you need to tire yourself out more..
Unfortunately I've been up against a common cold for almost a month now, so I can't really tire myself out (at least not physically).
Quote:
I find if I have a boring day I either don't dream or have dreams that make me say "What the hell was that about?!" But if I have an active day (and being a mom of 2 everyday can be an adventure!)I usually have great dreams! Again just my $0.2 cents worth.
Point is, I don't get bored even by normally boring things
Old 2010-02-10, 02:09   Link #25
FateAnomaly

It is apparently your latent precognitive ability. Try to focus on lottery numbers.

Seriously though did you guys sometimes get deja vu feeling that you have seen a particular situation in a dream before?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 03:13   Link #26
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Or when still sleeping I believe to be hearing a loud ear-piercing shrieking/screaming as if it's right next to my ear and it scares the crap out of me before I fully wake up and realize what's going on.

I really hate those things.
No shrieking, but extremely rarely I'll wake up because I heard a woman's voice, usually calling my name. It's never a malicious thing, but it's extremely creepy. Enough to make me want to cover my head and not find out if it was real.

I haven't had any actual nightmares in years....since I was 12. I had a nightmare so strong that I woke up not believing it was over. I can still remember the whole thing like it just happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Nightmare
I'm walking in a castle courtyard, under an archway. Down this walkway I see someone at the end, and start heading to them. All down this walkway are giant lions statues. Think New York Public Library in how they look. Suddenly they come to life and start chasing after me. I run as fast as I can, but everything starts warping and turns black. As I'm running into the darkness, I have this strange sense of vertigo and a face appears before me, laughing. This face looks like a rainbow of neon colors making up the features, but it looks like a very old woman. I feel it's very evil somehow, and I woke up sitting up staring forward, shivering and so scared I couldn't move. Finally I passed out.
This was the last nightmare I ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Short of lucid dreaming, I don't think theres any way to actually control what you dream ( even lucid dreaming isnt really that).
To follow on my above comment, I actually learned how to control my dreams after that nightmare. This turned strange though, as I've had a recurring dream ever since that's oddly tranquil and easy to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Basically, I'm rummaging in a walk in closet, looking for something. Inside the closet is old furniture and clothing, mixed in with some newer clothing as well. All of the clothes belong to a woman, skirts, dresses, and jewelry, although I don't know who it is I feel I know the person very well. The place looks like a mess, with drawers open and clothing hanging everywhere like it was tossed around.

I find an ID card of some kind, it belongs to a woman but I can't recall the face. I know it's important but I don't know why. At this point I look up and realize that half of the closet is gone, and I can see the ocean. Birds are calling, and I hear the soft waves lapping at the shore in front of me. In the distance is an island with one palm tree on it. I look back down at the ID, turn around to dig through the closet some more, and then wake up.
I don't dream this every night, but frequently enough through the years that I've spent entire days struggling to figure it out. It's so clear that I could draw a picture of the closet down to minute details (what the dresser looked like, what the clothes looked like, etc)...but why I'm there, what I'm searching for, who the woman is, it's all difficult to understand. The only thing I'm certain of is that the woman is very important and that I know her so well that it's like...a twin, or a best friend, someone extremely extremely close, but it's not a feeling of love or hate. More like I need to know, but am being prevented.

I can control the dream in that I can look around and decide what to look through. However I'm no closer to finding anything out than when I started having the dream years ago.
Old 2010-02-10, 08:18   Link #27
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Seriously though did you guys sometimes get deja vu feeling that you have seen a particular situation in a dream before?
Yeah, I've had that for quite a few years, after looking up on it, I found out it's a sort of memory problem, with many possible explanations, including similar situations having happened in the past and then you forget about them, so when they reoccur you remember that as a deja vu, although it's a bit more complicated, because you can recall these memories at any given time, even before the next trigger, so when it does happen you get the feeling you had predicted this. Also, it doesn't have to happen while you're sleeping, I remember having a few while getting breakfast or walking around town.
Old 2010-02-10, 09:00   Link #28
xKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
It is apparently your latent precognitive ability. Try to focus on lottery numbers.

This happened to me quite often 2 years ago,but it occurs less nowadays.Wondering if it has anything to do with my lifestyle...

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 16:33   Link #29
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Wondering if it has anything to do with my lifestyle...
Very likely if you had been leading a routine for a while, like doing exactly the same things when waking up, going to the same places or even working on the same project for too long.

In other news, I've been trying sleep by music and I have to say it works wonders
Old 2010-02-10, 17:29   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Tiresome dreams-what to do? you say. Try sleeping more (seriously!). Dreams are that, dreams. They're nothing you should worry your little head over. At best searching for the so called "why" will just lead you to half backed theories that, like fortune telling, apply even if you didn't have the experience. Think of it as searching for the truth in the truth.
Old 2010-02-11, 02:11   Link #31
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
You think that's weird?

I once had a dream that I was one of three kings living in the same castle. That's already strange. The other two were friends of mine from ages ago. One night I wake up to see this creature looking like Alien with batwings sizing me up for a meal. It suddenly blows up and I see this soldier with a huge laser rifle. He's wearing an armor that looks like a cross-over between a stormtrooper and Master Chief, who tells me that I need to leave quickly. My friend, the other king, is laughing like made behind him so I ask what's going on. That's when the third king, my other friend, walks in. He has an afro, cheecks that look horribly red because of how much make up he's wearing, and he has an apron and a tutu gown. Finally, he's carrying a tray with drinks on them and asks if I would like one. That's when the second king tells me that he played with the cards.

If that's not weird, I don't know what is
90% of my dreams are like this. Well not like yours specifically, but completely unrealistic with random stuff from movies/books/games/anime, everything. Makes dreaming fun, but it does make the few times where I have really realistic dreams make me think I'm awake, when I'm still dreaming.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 04:15   Link #32
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Tiresome dreams-what to do? you say. Try sleeping more (seriously!)
I've tried sleeping again right after waking up tired, which usually occurs when sleeping longer than usual, then I wake up too soon to consider it proper sleeping (<3h) and then I get insomnia that could last up to nearly two days...
Also, it's not that I'm questioning why I'm dreaming, but why I'm waking up tired after having slept for so long, which collides with my logical assumption that sleep=revitalizing.
Old 2010-02-14, 21:01   Link #33
yoropa
Director

I've done dream analysis before not only on myself but also on others. It's very helpful in my opinion, and helped me learn a lot about myself. Dreams work as symbols, and there exist sources in which certain symbols are recognized.

Quote:
1) I'm in my room, formatting my PC and I spend all night watching it update...forcefully woke up at 86% or something because I was bored out of my mind.
PCs can mean many things. They can mean that new areas of your life are blooming, or it could mean that you lack individuality. Let us presume that in this case it means a blooming successful life. You are formatting it. You are getting rid of progress and closing the doors of opportunity. Have you rejected an opportunity that has presented itself to you, or are considering to? Presumably you sat down and watched it slowly format before waking up. Are you willingly letting the doors of opportunity in your life close?

If yes, you should perhaps consider taking a safe risk and seeing what happens.

Quote:
2) This one was yesterday, I dreamt I had to go to the supermarket, got stuck in traffic, then spend the rest of the night looking for parking
I found some officers and whatnot who suggested that I turn left next block and park at building A, but I was thinking "to hell with it" and woke up.
A market represents emotional or physical need in your life. Getting stuck in traffic symbolizes frustrations, that you are literally stuck in your life. You couldn't find a parking space. This means you currently can't find a place in your life. Do you feel that right now, as it stands, you are trapped in the conditions of your life, and that though you may want company, you cannot seem to find it to bring you out of these conditions?

So far, if this is accurate for you, I would recommend something that helped me during a major phase of depression in my life, which was to forcibly bring myself to talk to people I don't really like, just for the sake of doing something social. Now to continue with this analysis.

An officer can mean multiple things, but in this context I believe it means that you need to find a larger group to connect with, much like how the police is a large group that officers connect with. The building usually represents the mind and body. You not being in the building is a problem and could mean that you need to look inward, at your heart, to try to understand yourself more.

It seems the second part of the dream helped give an answer to the first part. Should you feel that you need to escape from what are unwanted conditions of your life, you need to look inward and understand yourself better, and you need to find a large group of people to connect to who can indirectly help you get out of said conditions of life.

I hope I was of assistance. Just watch none of this is accurate for you at all. XD
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 17:12   Link #34
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Just watch none of this is accurate for you at all. XD
I'm afraid this is the case here I haven't had any "great opportunities" in life, just following my set route, which I set down myself. I'm currently making progress by studying in university (in order to have a career later).
Although others would see me as stuck in my life, I've come to enjoy it: right after high school I changed my daily routine, the days of transition being the hardest and most chaotic. After a while everything was back to a new "normal", that was around 4 years ago. I'm also quite the social person, I spend all of my outdoor time with others until summer break, during which I occasionally enjoy long strolls around town by myself until my high school friends drop by to visit (1 week margin).
Quote:
Dreams work as symbols, and there exist sources in which certain symbols are recognized.
Even though they were many ways off in this particular case, there are indeed occasions where everything about my dreams is symbolic, and in all these situations, everything progresses smoothly, according to my plans (after having a few similar dreams, if there's a new one that could possibly be like the others, I would like it to end the same way, which it usually does).
Old 2010-02-24, 13:49   Link #35
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I just had a dream experience that I think maybe I can post here, its so insane, it resulted in sleep paralysis.

This week is a really hellish week in school, we had so much work, we hardly slept, a girl even fainted in school. People were all complaining of stress and all looked like zombies.

I'm usually very tolerant of stress but it even got to me, I kept falling asleep throughout the day today. And since tomorrow there's no school, I finally got a chance to sleep.

So I checked the clock and its 1:59am and I slept.

I had a dream, I was getting results for the essay I'm supposed to be typing out tomorrow. I looked at the marks and was shocked that I failed by one mark, I thought its impossible, I'd never fail in my essays. And it was such a shock to me, I fainted in my dream and my mind literally short-circuited.

I found myself in sleep paralysis, its the first time I experienced it, but I know it from all the documentaries I watched about sleep.

The first thing I realise is that I'm staring at the wall of my room lying in the exact position I went to sleep in and I felt constricted by the blanket over me and I can't move my entire body. At this point I already realised I'm in sleep paralysis, from my knowledge I know that its not a very dangerous phenomenon, so I was calm.

But I felt this urge to shout out because I have this feeling that I'm being watched by someone. This is the exact feeling those people who think they got abducted by aliens feel, its all in their minds. I did try to shout out and in my mind I thought I shouted, but I'm very clear my mouth didn't move.

The most amazing part of this experience is what I heard, the weirdest sound or probably even music, that I've ever heard in my life. Its like I'm hearing my brain short circuit, its a very psychedelic and electrical sound. I've never taken drugs, but I probably felt like I was on a high.

Then I tried to move my body again, this time I was able to tilt my body just this slightly and I somehow got my head to move, but it moved into a choking position where my blanket is covering my nose. After a while I regained my full senses. I checked the clock and its 2:19 am, just 20 minutes into sleeping.

Its a very weird experience, I actually hope I can get more of these. That psychedelic experience was really interesting. Anyway its 2:49 now, I'll go back to sleep. With this much stress, I'll probably have alot more crazy dreams later on.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 14:02   Link #36
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Most from what I remember (I can't recall my dreams very well) I usually think of archs and pillars the most. Idunno if they even mean anything. Let alone their purpose.

The most vivid dream I had was me getting ran over. That's pretty much it.

Dreams are either relaxing, or painful (Not necessary in depression, but painful as in fearsome as well.) that express something we couldn't normally express.

Dreams are like doors, they show the person's mindset and psychology terms. With that in mind, I can't help but wonder how we are able to dream, since it's 'subconscious' while we are slumbering/sleeping.

If dreams are too tiresome, and I mean nothing by this -- Take some pills. AND I mean SAFE pills. Perscriptions have side effects, but also tend to be more effective... Or from what i've been taught atleast.

Try humming a counting song that requires energy, you will eventually 'collapse' sort to speak and fall asleep. Not very helpful, I know... But this was from several months ago. Idunno how effective it'll be for you people, but it semi-worked for me.

Sidenote: Dreams can be... scary. Very scary.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 14:11   Link #37
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I had a dream, I was getting results for the essay I'm supposed to be typing out tomorrow.
I've had a few of those, doubt it's because of stress though...school dreams occur often during exams and such, I find it a great way to gain the necessary amount of stress in order to sit down and study. Anyway, you slept quite fast, it takes me around 8 minutes to start sleeping and at least another 30 before I start dreaming.
Quote:
Its like I'm hearing my brain short circuit, its a very psychedelic and electrical sound.
As far as I remember I've had something similar twice, nothing special about the dreams of those nights, but at some point it felt like current flowing out of my ear (that, or a fly being seriously noisy in it) and woke up very crudely.
Old 2010-02-24, 14:17   Link #38
psycho_luny
close to insanity
*Author

Send a message via MSN to psycho_luny
for the last 11 years i've been having the same dream at least once a night. a memory best to be forgotten, for years i've been seeking a way to get rid of them but nothing worked, till recently.

even if you remember only a little bit of your dream, if your dream keeps coming back, it mostly means there is something on your hart that needs to be released.
the best cure is to talk about your dreams or what's bothering you. if you don't your dreams will keep hounting you.
Old 2010-02-24, 22:00   Link #39
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post

I've had it quite often back then. And not the 'similar situation' thing that Kafriel mentioned above, since most of the things I saw were rather new, that I didn't have or see before until the incident.

Of course, by now I'm just getting typical 'I'm just reacting to the situation' dreams like taking a walk, etc. Don't remember most of them.

Best thing I can recommend for you is to try something new. Both of the dreams stated have the common factor in the actions being very tedious, and over time, potentially irritating, even though they're necessary (format com to improve, parking in a spot so you don't get a ticket for just parking anywhere).

So, find a part of your life that has been too repetitive, and force a change on it. E.g. Watching too much anime->Go switch to some movies, do exercise, etc.
Old 2010-02-24, 23:06   Link #40
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
I've had a few of those, doubt it's because of stress though...school dreams occur often during exams and such, I find it a great way to gain the necessary amount of stress in order to sit down and study. Anyway, you slept quite fast, it takes me around 8 minutes to start sleeping and at least another 30 before I start dreaming.

As far as I remember I've had something similar twice, nothing special about the dreams of those nights, but at some point it felt like current flowing out of my ear (that, or a fly being seriously noisy in it) and woke up very crudely.
Its definitely because of stress lol

I forgot to mention I'm a chronic insomniac, I can lie on the bed for hours and not fall asleep sometimes. And when I fall asleep I'll wake up several times at night. I rarely get to sleep well and this time its probably the fastest I've fallen asleep.

I haven't had much sleep for 2 weeks and not just me but the entire school is stressed out.

Stress is one of the causes for sleep paralysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I do feel that I have something sitting on top of me or that I'm being flattened by something. But because I'm very scientific and don't believe in ghosts, demons and such, probably an ET skeptic, neither of these manifested in my sleep paralysis. So instead of having demons sitting on top of me, the one giving me pressure and constriction is my blanket lol

I've had lots of lucid dreams because of my extremely sensitive REM sleep, which probably results in me waking up alot at night. But this is the only time it came with a event of sleep paralysis.

According to the possible causes list in the wiki:
Quote:
* Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
* Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation
* Increased stress
* Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
* A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode.
I have all of those except for sleeping position, its a long story describing what sudden environment/lifestyle change I'm having right now, so I'll skip that.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dreams