AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-11-21, 14:28   Link #1
SummeryDreams

Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

Had watched it a while ago with my girlfriend and it was quite great with new twists on the story.

Spoiler for Movie spoilers:

What's your thoughts about this movie? Was it great for you? Mind if we discusss it?
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 16:55   Link #2
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Speaking as a book reader only, I liked the first story well enough. The sequels were redundant. Honestly I enjoyed the Shadow Children series far more.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 11:00   Link #3
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Speaking as a book reader only, I liked the first story well enough. The sequels were redundant. Honestly I enjoyed the Shadow Children series far more.
To be honest, that's how I started feeling about the Shadow Children series, but mind you, it's been like ten years since I've read them. I preferred the earlier books, and by the end, everything just seemed so...anti-climatic. I also liked it when we had Luke's perspective most, but I digress.

I really enjoyed the Hunger Games book series when I read it in high-school (again, a long time ago), but the first movie left a lot to be desired. It was a good adaptation of the book, but personally, it wasn't all that enjoyable to actually watch. I didn't find it very gripping, though the actors were all fine in their roles. I haven't seen Catching Fire yet, but here's hoping it ends up holding my attention a little more!
Old 2013-11-22, 11:37   Link #4
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

I find it in reverse. I like the movie and dislike the book--Katniss's twilight like alternate interest in two different boys was thankfully cut out of the movie.
Old 2013-11-22, 21:52   Link #5
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I find it in reverse. I like the movie and dislike the book--Katniss's twilight like alternate interest in two different boys was thankfully cut out of the movie.
Definitely didn't like that part of the book. And I fear it's not going to get cut-out. Considering they're giving two movies for the third book (...two? really?), I think we'll have plenty of time for -lovely- love triangle fun.
Old 2013-11-22, 23:05   Link #6
james0246

Better in nearly every way to the first film. Strong acting from all involved (especially the supporting players who are given some actual material to play with this time around (kudos to Josh Hutchinson for creating depth and subtlty in an entirely unsubtle and fairly bland character), though Thor's brother had n no chemistry with Katniss), strong pacing and directing, great action sequences, and a wonderful score. I was also impressed by how vivid the film went into the exploration of Katniss' PTSD and survivors guilt (one of my main quibbles with the first film was the lack of recognition of the moral dilemma/crisis concerned with kids killing); it's still a PG version of that discussion, but it was still good. 85/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 03:01   Link #7
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaking Zoomatic View Post
To be honest, that's how I started feeling about the Shadow Children series, but mind you, it's been like ten years since I've read them. I preferred the earlier books, and by the end, everything just seemed so...anti-climatic. I also liked it when we had Luke's perspective most, but I digress.
Admittedly, I read the Shadow Children series in middle school, and the Hunger Games trilogy just a couple years ago. I just liked the atmosphere of SC better.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 05:28   Link #8
konart

Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Is it any better than the first one?
As a book reader I was really upset after watching the first part so I hope they did better job this time. They've cut out all the important stuff, made Pit look like a total useless nobody and made Lara Croft out of Katniss
Old 2013-11-23, 17:55   Link #9
EscapeReality

^I felt like the second book was mostly filler. The lead-in into the third book could have been much quicker.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 19:42   Link #10
Aesthetic Shampoo

The books were far too ambitious. The first was barely above average, and the rest had terrible execution and pacing on whatever ideas the author had and therefore failed.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 16:12   Link #11
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Better in nearly every way to the first film. Strong acting from all involved (especially the supporting players who are given some actual material to play with this time around (kudos to Josh Hutchinson for creating depth and subtlty in an entirely unsubtle and fairly bland character), though Thor's brother had n no chemistry with Katniss), strong pacing and directing, great action sequences, and a wonderful score. I was also impressed by how vivid the film went into the exploration of Katniss' PTSD and survivors guilt (one of my main quibbles with the first film was the lack of recognition of the moral dilemma/crisis concerned with kids killing); it's still a PG version of that discussion, but it was still good. 85/100.
And the best scene is when she got that idea to shoot that.... Everyone in the theater shouted like, 'screw you!'..
Old 2013-11-29, 01:15   Link #12
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Finally watched it--I thought it was great, and all the actors did such a good job! I loved Claflin as Finnick, too. I mean, he was my favorite character in the book, and Sam just brought him to life! He was so charming. That aside, I thought it was quite a bit better than the first one, and all around gorgeous to look at. The second book was my favorite, so it did it real justice. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Mockingjay, as I always thought it was the weakest in the series.
Old 2013-12-03, 20:30   Link #13
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaking Zoomatic View Post
Finally watched it--I thought it was great, and all the actors did such a good job! I loved Claflin as Finnick, too. I mean, he was my favorite character in the book, and Sam just brought him to life! He was so charming. That aside, I thought it was quite a bit better than the first one, and all around gorgeous to look at. The second book was my favorite, so it did it real justice. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Mockingjay, as I always thought it was the weakest in the series.

Made me very excited of what would gonna happened on the next movie. The twist is so cool as well, was it?
Old 2013-12-04, 03:19   Link #14
Etyo

I feel it was too long for extra story but it was done well enough to entertain me. If it was done a little bit better it could of been much shorter and not as excessive with information. However it does present the emotion of the film well through the time of the movie. I am not complaining too much about it because it was good.
Etyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 11:21   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Personally, catching fire was my favorite out of the three books. Amazing twists, non-stop action and the persisting president's personal pickle, killing Katniss! The movie delivered what it promised imo, very good acting from so many people (especially Hoffman and Jeffery Wright - for side characters, they had a lot of impact).

As for the main event, it could have been quite a bit longer, but the events unfolded so fast that there was no room left to stretch it out. Definitely waiting for the third movie, although my expectations are somewhat lower for that one... 8.4/10