AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: How annoying?
After a few minutes of that sort of thing I want to NUKE THEM TO HELL. 167 30.31%
It's only annoying when it's really excessive. 247 44.83%
It's interesting, like a sort of anime slang, but I wouldn't say it myself. 44 7.99%
Using Nihongo in my sentences is cooool ^____^ You are a chibi baka! 42 7.62%
おばけアメリカンのだ、日本語わかれない 51 9.26%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-09, 10:04   Link #301
oompa loompa

well.. what i dont like isnt really injecting it in speech.. thats not really the problem.. but i think one of the first (?) posts in this thread had a quote of some guy saying irritating things with a lot of injected japanese - and somewhat looking down upon the culture around him like saying something about movies..

well i dont do it with japanese but i inject plenty of english in hindi and vice versa.. and i know the japanese use a lot of english terms.. thats not really the problem..

i hate to be lame but

i just cant stand it when someone seems to ridicule his/her own background and/or the culture thats around him - where hes from - or even tries to substitute it.. no matter how bad it is should always be very important - and it should be given the respect it deserves - by all means be 'international'.. but for god sakes dont forget where youre from..

having said that, i really dont mind a baka or kawaii thrown in here and there at all lol
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 07:51   Link #302
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

WOW

i never knew nihonggo has such complex and well fascinating words(accent to be exact)

all i can say is that nihonggo really suits anime rather than english hahahha
Old 2008-03-11, 12:54   Link #303
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

I wasn't too sure what counted as "injecting Japanese into their speech" (using common terms like "tsundere" and whatnot while discussing anime on the net is fine), but the potential amount of rage I feel in proximity to this thread (for the above, I say, you'd best be trollin'!) led me to choose the NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT option.
Old 2008-03-11, 22:44   Link #304
sa547
*Author

If I really needed to be understood coherently by an international audience, I prefer to say in English, whether I answer posts or write in fanfiction. This was a lesson I learned from my Venezuelan pre-reader who warned me after putting too many Japanese phrases in the first chapter I wrote: never make the fanfic reader reach for the English-Japanese dictionary.
Old 2008-03-12, 14:39   Link #305
Banditopants
Pathetic Wannnabe Writer

Japanese injected into english is annoying, but would better understanding through practical application count as something different?
Banditopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 18:07   Link #306
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They're not talking about examples like, say, I'm talking to my son's friend who is a Japanese exchange student and she and I will switch back and forth between Japanese and English depending on our comfort levels (sometimes she'll answer in japanese and I'll answer in english and vice versa). We don't usually mix it within sentences unless we're groping for a word we can't think of.

The OP was talking about "those people" you encounter at anime clubs and cons who insert Japanese words into their sometimes questionable English conversation in order to sound like one of the "extra-in" anime types.... but all they're really doing most of the time is either misusing the words or applying them incorrectly/oddly.

We're assuming the OP wasn't referring to the occasional use of German, French, or Japanese to articulate concepts that have no quick English equivalents (tsunami, gestalt, or "c'est la vie!").
Old 2008-03-14, 17:31   Link #307
Ecole

Few things makes my blood boil as much as the people mentioned in Vexx's post.

I know some of "those" people (shouldn't really group them together, but you get the point), and I'll never get past the false "ultra-cute" expressions they make, how they squell "miiiiiiiiiviiiiiiii" (which isn't correct in any form EITHER because there's no fucking V in Japanese, gah). If the things said are IN CONTEXT and MAKE SENSE it's fine with me, but just throwing them in deliberately to sound bilingual is just ridiculous.

I'm from Sweden, and I'm known to mix in a lot of different words from languages such as German and Spanish when I talk, most of them English though. But that's just because of convenience, and I'm not very serious about it anyway.

On the other hand, I hang around with my Japanese classmates a lot and we tend to switch around depending on the context. I reply in Swedish unless it's a touchy subject but they prefer to speak Japanese back. It's awfully convenient to just switch some words out to make the sentences sound a lot less suspicious though, especially considering their extremely dirty minds.

Anyway, my point is; if you use the words, use them in context so it doesn't sound alien, and don't do it to tricky people into you know more about the language than you do. If you put in the occasional "nani", "kawaii" or "baka" I'll write your name in my Death Note. If you have to do it, be creative and mix up the language so it doesn't sound so stale.
Ecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 00:06   Link #308
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I just really hate noobs in my town. The convention we have is almost all bootleg and the cosplay looks like a prison convention (aka naruto costumes). It is almost impossible to not have fan girls scream out yaoi or some word as such a scream it out mis pronounced >.> Noit to mention any other words....

Wait this is a noob rant...I just can't stand it if it were used in real life in reading it online it gets annoying when used often.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 00:12   Link #309
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Personally I find bemused smile, silent contempt, and a wink to be a much healthier solution to such annoyances than boiling blood and lectures on the soapbox. Not to mention a (generally false) sense of superiority usually does wonders to one's self-esteem.

Positive energy, like they* used to say.

*they = every pathetic self-improvement book out there
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 01:05   Link #310
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

My whole house are used to my Baka exclamation chant and my younger sister and fiancee are used to kawaii/kowai comment on their fashion taste.. other then that, its mostly straight Malay conversation with a few Manglish thrown in for the lulz

My nephew who studied Japanese often said something in japanese that I can totally understand as a secret conversation between us in family gathering, which I cant reply back vocally sadly, but other then these peoples, I'm lucky I dont have to face most Japanese wannabe in my RL XD
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 08:11   Link #311
Pasteurized Milk
All I Care About is Japan

I'm not gonna lie, that Shii chick/dude makes a lot of sense. I'm Japanese and not even I interject Japanese words in my conversation, unless I'm -actually- communicating with another Japaneser. That's right, I said Japaneser, wanna fight about it? Anyway, I also like Shii because their name reminds me of that old video "Shii's Song". It's so cute and sad and FABULOUS.

...And yes, I'm incredibly articulate. Are you jealous?
Pasteurized Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 08:53   Link #312
ZeosX
Oh castitatis lilium

Send a message via AIM to ZeosX Send a message via MSN to ZeosX
Pisses me off.
ZeosX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 10:22   Link #313
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasteurized Milk View Post

...And yes, I'm incredibly articulate. Are you jealous?
a little bit

youre right about that, its fine if you inject it in your speech as long as theres a purpose to it - for example, a person whose clueless about japanese injecting japanese into their conversation to another person/people who are as clueless about japanese means instant death.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 07:08   Link #314
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
heh heh heh, guilty as charged >.>

It depends, during my stay in japan, our english deteriated so much that amongst us gaijin, were just interchanging japanese and english without even thinking... and somehow it made sense >.>
(Or at least we understood each other)

Japanese is becoming my second langauge, native being english, so I like cussing/swearing in it if no one understands me nearby xD

Aside from that, i don't go around saying 'teme, anta wo korosu!'
(okay i did with my flatmates in 2nd year of studying japanese at uni, but we were all anime freaks) >.>
I totally avoid common anime sayings with japanese natives, it's like someone speaking to us having watched 'little house on the paerie' or something, they just think 'wtf?'

But otherwise, i just speak english with english natives for most part. If someone knows a good degree of japanese and we're on a topic about the language or culture itself, then we may start mixing it in from time to time, example being other translators in fansubbing, but since we keep it romaji, i figure the others are learning off of it >.>

Aside from that, im a good lil english native speaker :P

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 08:06   Link #315
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

So, if this thread was brought back...

While I still inject some japanese and english words to my conversations, when I talk in my native language, I do that because I've learned that word first in that language. This goes to the english "pride" or "vice versa", or the japanese "otaku", "hikikkomori", I use "yare yare", or sometimes greet with "osu" or "oi", it's not because I want to show off, hell, I never want to show off, I've just got used to them.
But when I was at my first animecon, I almost screamed, when I heard the fans using japanese words. For God's sake, we're hungarians, our native language can pronounce almost every word in the world except maybe some african language!! If they want to use those words, first learn how to pronounce it!
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 08:12   Link #316
escimo
Paparazzi

I think there's a time and a place for everything.
If someone litters his/her everyday-life speech with Japanese words I generally want to punch them in the face. If you share your interests with your conversational counterparts, they understand what a hell you're saying and it serves at least some purpose I think it's fine. But even in these situations I'd say that if you need to translate what you said you screwed up.
Old 2008-05-12, 12:56   Link #317
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

i chosen It's interesting, like a sort of anime slang, but I wouldn't say it myself.

why do some people what to say japanese to somebdy that won't know a bit about japanese
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 15:23   Link #318
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chison View Post
i chosen It's interesting, like a sort of anime slang, but I wouldn't say it myself.

why do some people what to say japanese to somebdy that won't know a bit about japanese
Unless they're *teaching* some new words, they are just being obnoxious or clique-ish. If their target can't understand them, all they've done is establish their "jerk" level.

I attended a local K-12 japanese speech tournament yesterday. During the breaks, the contestants, their teachers, family, etc spoke interchangeably in Japanese and English but most people were very careful not to leave anyone out in a conversation circle.
Old 2008-05-12, 15:56   Link #319
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

xd , most of the fun come from understanding...(VERY OFTEN)
so,how the tournament was like??

speak it to the wrong people will make them hate the sounds of japanese....chinese,etc
have care ^^

世界語などと外星人語と同じズ
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 18:56   Link #320
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I like it.

I is anime suki very much. just like this web site. we are multi-cultural desu.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote