AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-24, 12:22   Link #81
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Lasik is not for everyone. You have to go through an eye examination to determine your cornea's thickness and eye curvature. Deformed eyeballs increases chances of one failing the examination.
If you're photosensitive, they might recommend against it as well. I was told due to mine (I have to wear lightly tinted sunglasses even on overcast days sometimes) I should avoid Lasik for now, because a lot of people get MORE sensitive to light and that's the last thing I need.
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 13:47   Link #82
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
If you're photosensitive, they might recommend against it as well. I was told due to mine (I have to wear lightly tinted sunglasses even on overcast days sometimes) I should avoid Lasik for now, because a lot of people get MORE sensitive to light and that's the last thing I need.
I was not allowed due to my cornea curvatures. It is more obtuse than normal corneas.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 14:16   Link #83
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
I'm short-sighted by 8 and 8.5 degrees respectively and still wear glasses...haven't had time to search for a proper place to consider lasik, and I also got chromatic aberration and astigmatism,so I'm not sure if it's possible.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 09:14   Link #84
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'm short-sighted by 8 and 8.5 degrees respectively and still wear glasses...haven't had time to search for a proper place to consider lasik, and I also got chromatic aberration and astigmatism,so I'm not sure if it's possible.
Both are fine and aren't the bigger requirements for eye surgeries, because Lasik only affects the corneas and not the light-sensitive cells behind your eye.

Most people have Lasik to correct astigmatism actually. Just don't rub your eyes after the surgery.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 09:24   Link #85
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Hum I'm wondring if it's not a little of topic to talk about glasses and surgery on this thread ?

Anyway, I wear glasses too sometimes and personnaly I really like the look that give me (people they that I'm even better with it ) But I ojnly wear them when I'm working or when I'm studying

And i have a stupid question : How can I know (by myself) if I have a greasy skin or greasy hair etc...? Any tips about that ?
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 11:33   Link #86
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
That's very easy to spot: while bathing with hot water, try scratching your thorax: if you see your skin peeling, it means you have greasy skin (dead cells giving the greasy feel). In the case of hair, you can notice on any average day by running your hand through your hair, if your hand's oily then your hair's greasy. Simple, no?
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 12:13   Link #87
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
That's very easy to spot: while bathing with hot water, try scratching your thorax: if you see your skin peeling, it means you have greasy skin (dead cells giving the greasy feel). In the case of hair, you can notice on any average day by running your hand through your hair, if your hand's oily then your hair's greasy. Simple, no?
Oh thanks, I will try that for the skin And I don't have greasy hair And do you have other tips for other kind of skin/hair ?

And again, thanks for the answer ^^
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 12:38   Link #88
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
About hair: dandruff is visible, if it's not then scratching your head or playing with your hair can reveal flakes. It doesn't DO anything, but it's annoying, there's many kinds of shampoo for it. Weak hair needs a lot of love, don't use shampoo in the morning but do wash them regularly (with shampoo) and cut it more frequently; new hair is much stronger, growing hair to certain lengths can considerably weaken it if not taken care of properly. There's lotions for dry hair in order to return it to a normal condition as well as many types of conditioners to increase volume if necessary.
Skin care has already been discussed a bit, but anyway: too much sunlight is bad for your skin, but a certain amount is necessary in order to produce vitamin D, keeping yourself clean will prevent layers of dead cells from appearing and the fresh layers are smoother. Tanning is a personal preference and comes with known (I like to believe) dangers.
If you like working out, make sure you don't tone your muscles or gain bulk too fast, abrupt changes to your muscles leave permanent marks on your skin. Those are of a red-blue hue when first appearing and turn white later, looking like stitches...for example, I hate three lines under my left shoulder because I started working out in my teen years, thus increasing my already increasing volume.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 13:14   Link #89
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
If you're a powerlifter like me you'll unfortunately get those stretch marks all over Just think of them as trophies of achievement
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 15:07   Link #90
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
That's what I thought at first ("spares me the pain of a tattoo, coooool) but I happened to see a friend of mine who used to be overweight (240p) and lost it later...now he has a white-striped body (full thorax, stomach, arms, shoulders and back) and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't give off a very jungle-like feel
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 15:29   Link #91
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
This is kind of a tall order, but... maybe the girls here (that means you, Narona-chan ) can help me out a little.

Most of what I know about fashion, makeup and beauty has come from trial and error combined with independent research. Nobody ever taught me these things personally, as I'm transgendered, plus I have issues that only transwomen have to deal with.

I know that in my current environment, caring for myself as well as I want to is impossible. In a homeless shelter there's only so much I can do to keep my physical and mental health up. But I'd like to try and figure out how I can minimize the damage I do to myself.

The worst thing is probably shaving. I have to shave every single day in order to pass well, and I've gotten so used to shaving everything daily that when I skip a day, it's rather painful. Problem being is I keep getting hustled out of the bathroom, not given adequate time to carefully remove the hair from my skin. So I'm being covered in cuts and not doing a very good job, and having sore and itchy skin.

Is there any ideas anyone has that may help me reduce the discomfort from having to shave basically my whole body in only ~45 minutes? Sometimes it just feels like I ran a cheese grater across my skin (and my face is the worst, because it has to be perfect, so it winds up with the most pain).
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 16:12   Link #92
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 34
Well if this is not just for females, I actually want to ask for some advice.

I have dark shaded skin below the eyes... more at the inner side (next to the nose) than on the outer side. In summer I can compensate that a little by sunbathing while wearing sunglasses (this makes the skin tones become more equal).
The rest of the year however I look rather tired/sleepy, even though I am not (I don't sleep too long or too short).
Someone told me that is because my skin there is especially thin. Well that wasn't exactly a helpful advice, since I cannot just make my skin thicker there.
Oh and make-up is not an option for me... (really I mean it!)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 16:58   Link #93
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is kind of a tall order, but... maybe the girls here (that means you, Narona-chan ) can help me out a little.

Most of what I know about fashion, makeup and beauty has come from trial and error combined with independent research. Nobody ever taught me these things personally, as I'm transgendered, plus I have issues that only transwomen have to deal with.

I know that in my current environment, caring for myself as well as I want to is impossible. In a homeless shelter there's only so much I can do to keep my physical and mental health up. But I'd like to try and figure out how I can minimize the damage I do to myself.

The worst thing is probably shaving. I have to shave every single day in order to pass well, and I've gotten so used to shaving everything daily that when I skip a day, it's rather painful. Problem being is I keep getting hustled out of the bathroom, not given adequate time to carefully remove the hair from my skin. So I'm being covered in cuts and not doing a very good job, and having sore and itchy skin.

Is there any ideas anyone has that may help me reduce the discomfort from having to shave basically my whole body in only ~45 minutes? Sometimes it just feels like I ran a cheese grater across my skin (and my face is the worst, because it has to be perfect, so it winds up with the most pain).
Have you thought about using something akin to Nair (or other sensitive skin hair remover) for your face/underarms, at least? I should think those would be the 2 big ones as far as your situation and might buy you a bit of time in between removals so your skin can heal a bit.
Then again, I don't know how well it works on beard hair and whatnot. You might look up online to see what some of the drag queens use; their skin often has to be baby smooth, as well.

Personally, I either use an epilator (yanks the hairs out by the roots and hurts like hell but lasts for a while) or a good sharp razor & shaving gel/body wash. Basically the sharper your razor, the better a shave you'll have. Most nicks happen with dull razors.
Something to lubricate it with (such as shaving cream/gel/body wash/shampoo/whatever) would probably help too, especially on your face. Again, I don't know exactly what you use right now, but there's my 2 cents.
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 18:12   Link #94
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Well, I don't have income. I use cheap conditioner and dull razor blades. I don't have much of a choice, because I don't have any money.

I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it for now.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 22:43   Link #95
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
I thought wax was one of the better options.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 23:07   Link #96
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I thought wax was one of the better options.
Well, for someone pressed for time & money, it's not as economical/good.
The reason I suggested an epilator was because it's a one time expense, and you can get them for less than 20$.
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 05:56   Link #97
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
At least it is better than shaving, in which when the hair grows back, it will be thicker, and will grow faster.

People who sweat alot tend to be more hairy so they can release more heat through the longer hairs. But interestingly, the thicker hair coverage provides more insulation and the person gets hot more easily.

Human evolution and adaptation doesn't seem so logical after all.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 06:06   Link #98
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
At least it is better than shaving, in which when the hair grows back, it will be thicker, and will grow faster.

People who sweat alot tend to be more hairy so they can release more heat through the longer hairs. But interestingly, the thicker hair coverage provides more insulation and the person gets hot more easily.

Human evolution and adaptation doesn't seem so logical after all.
Thankfully not the case for me Though I sweat gallons every time, I'm not that hairy at all
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 11:11   Link #99
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Thankfully not the case for me Though I sweat gallons every time, I'm not that hairy at all
Tried measuring the length of the hair on your skin, chest or legs? If there aren't more hair follicles, there would be longer hair. Joking.

If you sweat alot despite having short hair on your body, it could be due to over-reacting sweat glands. It is a problem actually, you get dehydrated very easily and will be more susceptible to heat illnesses.

Consult your doctor for more details. Or you can drop fellow Asuki members named Meotwister (who is studying to be a doctor) or justsomeguy (Bio major) for details. I wouldn't suggest Google, when it comes to medical problems, they give all the totally serious versions of the problems and none of the milder ones.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 11:14   Link #100
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Tried measuring the length of the hair on your skin, chest or legs? If there aren't more hair follicles, there would be longer hair. Joking.

If you sweat alot despite having short hair on your body, it could be due to over-reacting sweat glands. It is a problem actually, you get dehydrated very easily and will be more susceptible to heat illnesses.

Consult your doctor for more details. Or you can drop fellow Asuki members named Meotwister (who is studying to be a doctor) or justsomeguy (Bio major) for details. I wouldn't suggest Google, when it comes to medical problems, they give all the totally serious versions of the problems and none of the milder ones.
Incidentally, I've never had a single heatstroke in my life, or any other illnesses begotten through excessive heat. This despite my ghost-white skin and lack of bodyhair. And don't forget I've lived in Saudi Arabia for four years and was pretty active outdoors
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beauty, health, style

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.