AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-22, 01:19   Link #1
Penn
元帥

Chronic/terminal illness anime/manga?

Anime or manga with a protagonist who suffers from a terminal illness (or if well done enough, just a chronic illness), that is noticeable either from the start or gradually (not completely unnoticeable the whole time). I don't want something where the protagonist is perfectly healthy with a curse or some ability that using too much could/will kill them. Listing shows which I think fill this request very well might spoil some people, so I'll not do it. I don't mind being spoiled myself, though if it's very spoilery you may want to hide it so others are not spoiled.

No ecchi/romance/harem/stuff like that, though. I've read some of Ai Ren, for example. Nothing like that, please.

Last edited by Penn; 2010-02-22 at 04:32.
Old 2010-02-22, 01:47   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It's not an anime /manga, but have you heard about Narcissu? One of the first visual novels to be translated to the English language, a terminal illness is the very theme of the game. Very short, and very touching at the same time, you should be able to completely go through it in under 1.5 hours. You can get it here. The game is freeware.
Old 2010-02-22, 02:55   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Full Moon o Sagashite
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Old 2010-02-22, 03:17   Link #4
Penn
元帥

Jedinat: But those are romance.
Proto: I'll look into that, thanks.
Old 2010-02-22, 03:43   Link #5
jedinat
フリーター

You'll be hard-pressed to find something featuring illness without romance. Otherwise, really, what's the point.

edit-to-avoid-wasting-space:
Reply to below:
Well I'm surprised you've found that many. Care to list them? I'm curious. My comment wasn't to critique your preference, but made in reference to the fact that illness is almost always used as a convenient device designed to separate two unfortunate young lovers... in fact I'm having trouble recalling a single time it was a central element to a story in which it wasn't used to that melodramatic effect... I'm only remembering some crappy fantasy novel in which the protag had an unlikely case of leprosy... it was an awful book.

Last edited by jedinat; 2010-02-22 at 04:00.
Old 2010-02-22, 03:49   Link #6
Penn
元帥

Well, I've seen/read at least four anime/manga that would work with this thread, none of them really have romance and I liked them quite a bit. :|

edit to avoid wasting space as well:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=8875 (my favorite one shot of all time, tuberculosis)
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=26054 (Akagi has Alzheimer's)
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=584
Spoiler for LoGH:

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1786
Spoiler for Sanctuary:

Last edited by Penn; 2010-02-22 at 04:13.
Old 2010-02-22, 04:31   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora personifies this. Also as Proto has already mentioned, Narcisuu handles the mental processes, angst and anguish of impending mortality unbelievably well.
Old 2010-02-22, 18:00   Link #8
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

If Narcissu handled grief and mortality unbelievably well, I'd hate to see it done poorly. Couldn't even finish that game the dialogue was so awful.

Full Moon wo Sagashite isn't really a romance, since the main character is 12 and therefore a bit young for full blown shipping.

Otherwise, the only other sick people I know of where it's actually handled honestly (as in no nameless disease for the sake of drama) are Yoshino in Maria-sama ga Miteru with her heart condition and Honey and Clover, where no one actually has a chronic illness, but someone gets an ulcer and then someone else gets involved in a serious accident. Sorry.

edit: And possibly another that might come close. PLanetes has a girl who is always in the hospital, but not for reasons that are immediately apparent.
Old 2010-02-22, 19:04   Link #9
Penn
元帥

The girl in Planetes has nothing wrong with her, though. Well, aside from growing differently.
Old 2010-02-23, 00:05   Link #10
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Full Moon wo Sagashite fits the bill.
Old 2010-02-23, 07:35   Link #11
Penn
元帥

I watched the first episode of Full Moon wo Sagashite, does she stay 16 and healthy for the majority of the show?
It's also a bit too childish for my taste I think.
Old 2010-02-23, 10:30   Link #12
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

CANAAN, maybe? Many characters in this series suffer from some specific illness, and some die from it. There are few ecchi moments, but the series in whole is not ecchi-centered.
Old 2010-02-23, 10:40   Link #13
Coruja

There's also one of the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs: Reflection.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-23, 19:31   Link #14
Penn
元帥

Canaan isn't much like what I'm looking for. More a half-assed Type-Moon plot device than an illness.
I'll see about Rurouni Kenshin after I finish the rest of it.
Though, it's only in the OVA?
Old 2010-02-23, 20:22   Link #15
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

It's not something that happens that much in anime. If a character is suffering one, it's usually something that appears late in the piece or to a side character that appears for only 1-2 episodes. Tragic deaths are more commonplace because they evoke a more desired effect within target audiences and because a lot of directors like to inflict them on teen characters.

But if you really want something sombre, tragic and slowly see a decent person die from something they can do nothing about, then I think Saikano is something you should watch. While Chise, the female lead, doesn't have a terminal disease as such, what happens to heer in Episode 1 does lead to that. Saying how and why spoils it so I won't say more. But it might be worth you time.
Old 2010-02-23, 20:34   Link #16
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Indeed, Saikano is a very good suggestion on this respect. And one of the best tragedies I've seen in anime form. I get depressed just by thinking about it, and I have never been able to muster the courage to re watch it even once.
Old 2010-02-23, 21:06   Link #17
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
I'll see about Rurouni Kenshin after I finish the rest of it.
Though, it's only in the OVA?
Its only the 3rd OVA.

Grave of the Fireflies maybe? Not chronic illness but...
Spoiler for incase you havent seen it:
I 3rd Saikano, as with Fireflies, watched it once, dont wanna ever watch it again. Id say KnGE but you said you didnt want romance and really the girl doesnt have a chronic illness.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
Old 2010-02-23, 21:37   Link #18
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Indeed, Saikano is a very good suggestion on this respect. And one of the best tragedies I've seen in anime form. I get depressed just by thinking about it, and I have never been able to muster the courage to re watch it even once.
The manga is the best version/ending. There is a little ray of hope at the end of the manga. There were also a lot of sex jokes that the anime excluded, which they shouldn't have. But the anime is still a good watch.

Spoiler for Saikano real ending:
Old 2010-02-23, 22:27   Link #19
Haladflire65
*Artist

Oh, I think Shin Angyo Onshi might work. The protagonist, Munsu, has an illness similar to athsma. It's a really great seinen action/fantasy/drama manhwa with good art.
Old 2010-02-23, 22:31   Link #20
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
The girl in Planetes has nothing wrong with her, though. Well, aside from growing differently.
Which has screwed up her Earth-based biology enough that she's always in the hospital.

One other thing that I thought of that doesn't quite fit the bill but might is a manga I saw at the bookstore called With the Light, about a family raising an autistic son.

Quote:
I watched the first episode of Full Moon wo Sagashite, does she stay 16 and healthy for the majority of the show? It's also a bit too childish for my taste I think.
She goes back and forth from being 12 and 16 fairly equally, and over the course of the anime lands in the hospital a few times. For teh drama.