AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-03-02, 02:30   Link #81
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoonicmayhem View Post
If that's the case, I'd try to get on the guy's good side buy giving him a gift during the holiday season or whenever your school is about to go on break to thank him for driving you and such. That is, if he is your regular bus driver, if not, I'd give him the finger and mentally plot my revenge.

But the present thing usually works with bus drivers. I've had to move a lot in my past. I've gone to twelve schools in twelve years so I've had my far share of crazy bus drivers, so I'd advice trying that.
Given that Harufox's comments indicate to me that this driver dislikes students, I would assume that this guy was a driver for the local transit system and not a school bus driver. At which point I would seriously consider noting down the license plate, route, and time, and filing a complaint.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 02:34   Link #82
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
The worst stuff happened in elementary school: I got stabbed with a compass, another guy managed to drop a closet on a kid, and during the late elementary years, we got a perverted priest as teacher...and then I changed schools
Okayy something's wrong with priest...

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 02:46   Link #83
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Skype™ to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Look at the bright side of things! a) you got a BUS, and b)morning sprint's good for your heart, it helps the blood circulate so you can focus on the unexpected pop quiz.
1) no, I didn't. Like I said, he drove off by the time I got to the next stop (hence, the 300 metres, and the wasted effort)
2) this was in the afternoon. I had consumed not a damn thing whatsoever, and this was during a time when students would otherwise still be in school (I was allowed early leave because our Math teacher was absent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Given that Harufox's comments indicate to me that this driver dislikes students, I would assume that this guy was a driver for the local transit system and not a school bus driver. At which point I would seriously consider noting down the license plate, route, and time, and filing a complaint.
Yes, this was a public bus. The drivers rotate frequently, and you're unlikely to run into the same driver twice a week, but the buses themselves rarely change. As stated, I don't normally (attempt to) catch this bus. I knew the licence plate (for those curious, 6509AO) but not the driver, whom I only caught a half-second glimpse of him while I was banging on the door. I've already called the company in charge of the depot and they've talked to the driver, but I forgot to leave return contact details.

I also knew that thing had a 12 litre engine too, and having travelled on that particular bus before (as in that very bus), that's a bloody quick bus. Trying to chase it was a stupid idea.
Old 2010-03-02, 03:50   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You only need the time of day and the bus route -- THEY have the rest they need.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 05:42   Link #85
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Skype™ to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You only need the time of day and the bus route -- THEY have the rest they need.
Well, I had everything they needed anyway.

I'm not built for sprints. I still can't feel my legs, hours after this happened...
Old 2010-03-02, 06:32   Link #86
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
1) no, I didn't. Like I said, he drove off by the time I got to the next stop (hence, the 300 metres, and the wasted effort)
2) this was in the afternoon. I had consumed not a damn thing whatsoever, and this was during a time when students would otherwise still be in school (I was allowed early leave because our Math teacher was absent)
My bad, I thought it was a school bus...and at least you only sprint one stop, I had to run through 4 of them once...at noon! (and in summer, in Greece, with about 45 degrees on my neck). Anyway, can't say much to make you feel better, but revenge is a plate served cold
Quote:
Okayy something's wrong with priest...
From what I heard, he got expelled for groping the girls during tests, he said that he left because of the earthquake damage to the school (~98' or so)...but I believe the former :P
Old 2010-03-02, 07:30   Link #87
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
The worst stuff happened in elementary school: I got stabbed with a compass, another guy managed to drop a closet on a kid, and during the late elementary years, we got a perverted priest as teacher...and then I changed schools
I share your pain. I almost died in elementary. Someone threw me off a raised surface and I fell on the edge of a low window, hitting the back of my head on the jutting wedge. I have the stitchmarks on my head to prove it And priests always tend to be pervs, this coming from someone who'se also been in a catholic school. At least they have that kinda reputation in Italy (more than just a few pedophile crimes are done by priests). I was glad all my teachers in elementary were nuns.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 07:46   Link #88
Edgewalker
Nani ?

It seems like forever since I've been in High School, but now that I look back I was still in it when I joined this forum. Oh lawd I'm an Oldf*g.

I think the reason is because high school is a fake bubble. The way it's social interworking represents how the real world works is way off. The best advice any teen can receive when it comes to dealing with HS is to just ignore the social ladder, because none of it will matter once you graduate. Nobody in the real world gives a shit about who you were back in the social pyramid of HS.

Oh, and a fair warning: Stupid kids grow up to become stupid adults. Cut your ties with all jerks once you graduate. A very small minority of them will grow up, but for the most part they will never really stop being assholes- they just learn to hide it better as they get older.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 09:52   Link #89
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
It seems like forever since I've been in High School, but now that I look back I was still in it when I joined this forum. Oh lawd I'm an Oldf*g.

I think the reason is because high school is a fake bubble. The way it's social interworking represents how the real world works is way off. The best advice any teen can receive when it comes to dealing with HS is to just ignore the social ladder, because none of it will matter once you graduate. Nobody in the real world gives a shit about who you were back in the social pyramid of HS.

Oh, and a fair warning: Stupid kids grow up to become stupid adults. Cut your ties with all jerks once you graduate. A very small minority of them will grow up, but for the most part they will never really stop being assholes- they just learn to hide it better as they get older.
I actually think it varies per school. My school didn't really have a "social ladder" to climb... we were very clique-y though. Everyone had a "group" and depending which "group" you were in, you would be deemed as that type of person. That didn't mean that there were more popular kids, although there were more WELL KNOWN people than others, but besides that... I figured that you either fit in (meaning you had a circle of friends) or you didn't (meaning you're a loner).

Perhaps it's because I had a group of good friends, but I really like my high school experience =) We were a big group but even now, we still attempt to keep in contact and see each other for bdays and special occasions when we're all home. I think high school is one of those "life altering" periods in your life that kind of determine who you are when you leave. You can hate it and decide to change who you are when you enter college or you might really like it and continue being the same person. Personally I'm the latter and like all situations, I think high school's only as fun and memorable as you make it so... =)

Buttercup~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 10:16   Link #90
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup~ View Post
I actually think it varies per school. My school didn't really have a "social ladder" to climb... we were very clique-y though. Everyone had a "group" and depending which "group" you were in, you would be deemed as that type of person. That didn't mean that there were more popular kids, although there were more WELL KNOWN people than others, but besides that... I figured that you either fit in (meaning you had a circle of friends) or you didn't (meaning you're a loner).
Most definitely. While social tiers exist in every school (except maybe college/varsity), there's a lot of differences between each one. For instance, I've been to three different elementary schools in Italy and the US. Each one provided a vastly different experience for me because for one thing, there's the obvious culture difference between Italy and the US. It also depends on the type of people who go to these schools and the teachers who look after you.

However, what I think Edgewalker is saying is that while each school is different, High School is a very poor simulation of what the real world is like, and I'll add that so is varsity as a matter of fact. Whatever social tiers you're used to, or the kind of academic work you've done, none of it is like what you'd do irl, and 90% of the time, it's also inappliccable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup~ View Post
Perhaps it's because I had a group of good friends, but I really like my high school experience =) We were a big group but even now, we still attempt to keep in contact and see each other for bdays and special occasions when we're all home. I think high school is one of those "life altering" periods in your life that kind of determine who you are when you leave. You can hate it and decide to change who you are when you enter college or you might really like it and continue being the same person. Personally I'm the latter and like all situations, I think high school's only as fun and memorable as you make it so... =)
The thing is that sometimes, some people don't realize that who they were or what they did in HS is good or bad until they are well into their university studies. It's hard for a lot of people to just decide that the type of person they were in HS isn't exactly a good or bad person and change/stay the same as before. Most people will understand what's best for them in life as they get along with their studies, especially if they're still young and have an entire life ahead of them.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 14:35   Link #91
VVayfarer
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to VVayfarer Send a message via AIM to VVayfarer Send a message via MSN to VVayfarer
I found this to be a quite interesting essay on the subject.
Old 2010-03-02, 20:07   Link #92
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVayfarer View Post
I found this to be a quite interesting essay on the subject.
Quite an interesting analysis indeed, and the analysis of nerdiness certainly rings true as far as my experience is concerned.

Quote:
A lot of people seem to think it's good for smart kids to be thrown together with "normal" kids at this stage of their lives. Perhaps. But in at least some cases the reason the nerds don't fit in really is that everyone else is crazy. I remember sitting in the audience at a "pep rally" at my high school, watching as the cheerleaders threw an effigy of an opposing player into the audience to be torn to pieces. I felt like an explorer witnessing some bizarre tribal ritual.
That sums pretty well how it felt for me during middle and high school years, especially how I positioned myself compared to the teenagers, having children and adults as a referential.

Quote:
Nerds don't realize this. They don't realize that it takes work to be popular. In general, people outside some very demanding field don't realize the extent to which success depends on constant (though often unconscious) effort. For example, most people seem to consider the ability to draw as some kind of innate quality, like being tall. In fact, most people who "can draw" like drawing, and have spent many hours doing it; that's why they're good at it. Likewise, popular isn't just something you are or you aren't, but something you make yourself.

The main reason nerds are unpopular is that they have other things to think about. Their attention is drawn to books or the natural world, not fashions and parties. They're like someone trying to play soccer while balancing a glass of water on his head. Other players who can focus their whole attention on the game beat them effortlessly, and wonder why they seem so incapable.
It sure took me a while to understand this, and I fully realized it only as I why nearing the end of my Bachelor, as it was only then that I discussed it with a fellow nerd (never had the opportunity before to meet a "peer nerd"), I don't know why but they have extremely low visibility on campus, or maybe it's just that I cannot identify myself as a geek.
Old 2010-03-02, 23:48   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Both my sons are "closet geeks" (what we called such things in the 80s) -- they're popular, athletic, sports-oriented, social ... but also gamers, anime-buffs, tech-geeks... the younger one is majoring in photonics and nanotech applications in electrical engineering and thinking about double majoring in physics. That's pretty geeky by most standards.

Neither thinks much of stoners or drug use -- they consider it a waste of time and money when there are more interesting things to do.

I was more of a 'rocket scientist geek' in my early teens and grew into the "what is he, hard to categorize" I am now in college.

Quote:
I felt like an explorer witnessing some bizarre tribal ritual.
I will say this is a fair description of the feeling that both of them, I, and my wife get in many social gatherings. We often talk about the anthropological nature of what we've observed in social gatherings.

I should point out that when they would cast for extras when they were filming at NASA in the 80s ("we need engineers for background"), we'd all show up and they'd get very confused or accuse us of not being engineers. The reality was a very eclectic visual mix.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 05:33   Link #94
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Quote:
Both my sons are "closet geeks" (what we called such things in the 80s) -- they're popular, athletic, sports-oriented, social ... but also gamers, anime-buffs, tech-geeks... the younger one is majoring in photonics and nanotech applications in electrical engineering and thinking about double majoring in physics. That's pretty geeky by most standards.
But that's good though, isn't it? They're popular, sporty and the like, and yet you know they aren't the type to stir trouble at school.

The younger one sure sounds like he's quite interested in applied learning.

In this state, there are 2 paths to choose from in High School. VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) is the standard, most travelled path chosen by students. This usually leads to jobs where education is an important facet. It is also the only path into University. The jobs that you aim for are those important ones like Lawyer, IT Admin, etc.

VCAL (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning) is suited to those that are looking for an alternative to dropping out. These are usually more hands-on. Jobs suited to this path are those that aren't as academically-inclined but still need some form of qualification, like Hairdressing and Fashion design.

I support both your sons here. I think if they can choose what they want to do when they're older, then it'll be a choice that they'll be happy with.
Old 2010-03-03, 06:12   Link #95
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
it takes work to be popular
I'll say that it only takes strength. As long as you're strong, respect replaces mockery, instilling a dose of fear into their hearts also prevents any kinds of social attacks. It doesn't even have to be real: as long as you've convinced everyone that they shouldn't be messing around with you, they won't even come near you. This comes from personal experience when I was hit with a soccer ball on the head during class and my glasses broke, in which case I beat the shit out of the perpetrator and got the principal to suspend him for a day. Nobody even dared to think of laughing at me for the next 4 years.
Quote:
they're popular, athletic, sports-oriented, social ... but also gamers, anime-buffs, tech-geeks... the younger one is majoring in photonics and nanotech applications in electrical engineering and thinking about double majoring in physics. That's pretty geeky by most standards.
In Greece, students are made into all-rounders: they know a good deal of ancient greek, european history, maths up to integrates, physics up to basic circuit analysis, chemistry with all sorts of naming rules, etc. so they can choose any path they want without being considered geeks. I'm an electrical engineer myself, and even so there are many routes to choose here: microprocessors and programming, machines (generators/engines/turbines), house wiring, PB technology, etc.
Quote:
The main reason nerds are unpopular is that they have other things to think about. Their attention is drawn to books or the natural world, not fashions and parties. They're like someone trying to play soccer while balancing a glass of water on his head. Other players who can focus their whole attention on the game beat them effortlessly, and wonder why they seem so incapable.
This little piece is contradicting itself: at first it notes that nerds have more useful things to do than being fashion victims and going to parties, and then it says that they can't play games because they're doing useless things (water on head). Also, it's not true that nerds are incapable of doing sports, but don't have as much interest in them; all the nerds in my class used to play basketball, soccer and volleyball until they grew tired of them and picked new interests.
Quote:
Neither thinks much of stoners or drug use -- they consider it a waste of time and money when there are more interesting things to do.
I think everyone should be aware of the dangers of drugs, I wouldn't want people I know to get involved because of curiosity or whatever.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2010-03-03 at 10:40.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 09:15   Link #96
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:

I think that's a very good balance to have in your life actually =)
I don't consider myself "popular" and I'm probably SUPER un-athletic, nor do I go out and cheer or something =S But I really like to socialize and I guess I'm pretty nerdy in a way... I can stay at home and watch anime/dramas for like a whole week and never see the light of day. But when I'm done, I'm dying to go out and enjoy the weather and see my friends ^^''

I don't necessarily think that being "popular" means you have to be at the "cool" table or be into sports, go to a lot of socials, or have everyone know your name... I always thought of being popular as a term for having a lot of people envy you or "want to be you". I guess this can be followed up by having a lot of people who like you and stuff =) My student body president (for my graduating year) was someone I considered "popular" but he wasn't a jerk, he listened to everyone, chilled with everyone, played basketball, loved anime and I feel like he definitely beats even the best looking people out there in terms of popularity.

Oh! And about studying really "nerdy" subjects... I think you can study something like math/science/computer engineering and still be really cool and fun =) My friend studied pharmaceuticals for awhile (before switching majors) but he was more social than me AND I dare say more "popular" T_T

Buttercup~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 14:31   Link #97
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
I'll say that it only takes strength. As long as you're strong, respect replaces mockery, instilling a dose of fear into their hearts also prevents any kinds of social attacks.
I had the exact same experience more or less, but I think that only works on males. Females can't as easily scare each other with bravado or muscles.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 19:19   Link #98
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I had the exact same experience more or less, but I think that only works on males. Females can't as easily scare each other with bravado or muscles.
Nope, but we can scare each other with nasty rumors and excluding someone we don't like from our social circle of friends. And it certainly takes an amount of bravado to be able to do that, or at least confront the other girl when you know she's the one causing you problems.
Old 2010-03-03, 21:01   Link #99
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Doesn't that suck? I never envied girls, being big and strong wins you respect with essentially no work or stress (well, beyond the actual becoming strong factor, lol). Having to do what you describe sounds miserable

Last edited by ChainLegacy; 2010-03-03 at 21:52.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 23:19   Link #100
yoropa
Director

It's official: My social life is dead. Work has taken over everything.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
students