AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-03-05, 11:31   Link #1
White Manju Bun
What would you know!
*Author

Character Discussion - Kishitani Shinra

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kishitani Shinra related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Durarara!! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 21:28   Link #2
BigFire

Whenever I look at this character, the words of Hank Hills always echos in my mind: That Boy Ain't Right. Of course, being raised by that father of his doesn't help.
BigFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 22:10   Link #3
White Manju Bun
What would you know!
*Author

I didnt know what to think of him when we first see him but over 9 epis he's grown into my fave character. His relationship with Cetly is unique, I really want to see how it goes. Plus I want to know more about his job.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
Old 2010-03-05, 23:30   Link #4
Raskolnikov
Former Siberian

He is strange and yet fascinating character. He's the only man who managed to survive Izaya's insanity long enough to become a friend. His obsession with Clety is awesome, but somewhat creepy.
Raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 04:36   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

All i can say is, Shinra is adorable.
Old 2010-03-06, 08:59   Link #6
Kirarakim

While I don't think Shinra is necessarily a bad person but he seems to put his needs above Celty's. He keeps trying to distract her from finding her head because deep down he probably knows that once she finds it she will leave him. So if Shinra truly understood what love was he would help Celty find her head not try to discourage her from finding it.

It's sort of the same thing with Shinra not being truthful about Celty's cooking.
Old 2010-03-06, 09:44   Link #7
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It's sort of the same thing with Shinra not being truthful about Celty's cooking.
You have to give him praise for trying. He was trying to be nice. He was pushing himself so hard but he just couldnt prevent those tears. It was a funnny moment for me. Well it made me laugh I guess.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 11:03   Link #8
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
All i can say is, Shinra is adorable.
"Adorable" is the word I think of most when I think of Shinra. Although I frequently pair it with the word "warped" as well.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 11:21   Link #9
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Eh, Shinra is my least favorite out of the cast.
The guy just rubs me the wrong way.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 13:14   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
The guy just rubs me the wrong way.
Care to explain why?
Old 2010-03-06, 13:31   Link #11
Raskolnikov
Former Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
While I don't think Shinra is necessarily a bad person but he seems to put his needs above Celty's. He keeps trying to distract her from finding her head because deep down he probably knows that once she finds it she will leave him. So if Shinra truly understood what love was he would help Celty find her head not try to discourage her from finding it.

Durarara is a show about twisted love. You really shouldn't look for a good old-fashioned romance in there.
Raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 15:48   Link #12
White Manju Bun
What would you know!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
"Adorable" is the word I think of most when I think of Shinra. Although I frequently pair it with the word "warped" as well.
Considering the sneak peak of what his childhood was like, warped is a good way to describe him. He seems a bit disconnected from life since he sees nothing wrong with living with a headless girl and finds her being headless totally normal Plus his underground job at the lab probably also keeps him out of touch with most of reality.

But still I think he's just adorable, though I will say this was an expression we normally dont see from him
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
Old 2010-03-06, 21:14   Link #13
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Durarara is a show about twisted love. You really shouldn't look for a good old-fashioned romance in there.
Yes there are a lot of twisted loves in this show but I certainly don't think Durarara is trying to say that kind of love is right. That doesn't mean I am looking for an old fashioned romance instead I just don't support Shinra/Celty as a romantic couple, at least not at this point in the story.

Hey he got the unrequited love fortune. I think that fortune says perfectly how things stand.
Old 2010-03-07, 02:13   Link #14
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Care to explain why?
Well I know he loves Celty and all but I just don't like how he lightly takes the situation of Celty finding her head as not important at times. You'd think in the amount of years that they have lived together, Shinra would take the situation she's facing alittle more serious & consider her feelings towards it but nah, forget about your head and everything will be A-OK as long as you stay with me Celty-dear~<3

I don't hate his guts (I'll leave that for Seiji, thank you very much lol) but he just annoys me a tad bit.
Plus he's a shady doc & I feel like he's not letting on as much as he really knows about her head -shrug-
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 11:26   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Maybe it coincides with his headless woman fetish.....I see him as a balanced character, with a dark past and a bright future (i.e. he will end up doing the right thing, I have vague suspicions of him hiding a lot from Celty about her head).
Old 2010-03-08, 05:09   Link #16
Haak
F**k my life...

At first i didn't actually like him, because i couldn't help but think that Shinra just loved her and didn't care about what she actually wanted, but after episode 8 I think he's a decent character. Assuming, ofcourse, he isn't keeping infortmation on the whereabouts of Celtys head away from her. Even then, though, he might have good reason. He asked a very valid question in episode 9. What is Celty going to do when she finds her head attached to someelses body with a mind of it's own? Take it back by ripping the head off? What would happen to the head? If he is keeping info from her then that maybe why.
Old 2010-03-08, 10:18   Link #17
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Shinra seems to me to be given over to fascinations, and these fascinations interfere with his empathy. From what little we saw of his father, it's understandable where this comes from. His father showed no hesitation in exposing his young son to things most adults would have no desire to see, and to do so in pursuit of understanding.

Shinra's behavior both towards Shizuo's condition and Celty's desire to find her head seem to share that thread. He was fascinated by Shizuo's strength to the extent that he didn't really show any concern about him constantly ending up shattered. Similarly, he is fascinated with Celty to a great extent, and I think that whatever you could say about whether or not he 'loves' her, if she regained her head, he probably knows she would no longer be quite so fascinating to him.

I think he certainly sees her as a person overall and cares for her deeply, but only so far as that doesn't interfere with her fascinating nature.
Old 2010-03-08, 13:22   Link #18
ZeroForever

I mostly agree with Stardust in that I just don't like him, I'm mean he's not evil per say (none of the cast is truly evil) but it's implied in 8 that he does know about the head (pretty sure the LN confirms that he did know) and despite all that crap about love he still puts his overall needs/interests above those he calls friends.

He's good at spinning the words about the situation in his favor 'sweet talker', which just grates at me as lots of times those people are the biggest rats.
Old 2010-05-09, 16:28   Link #19
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I love the guy he is my second favorite character I just love the interaction between him and Celty.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 16:25   Link #20
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Shinra is one fucked up person, lol. While some of his actions were despicable, I can understand them even if I don't approve of them. After all, he did go through a lot with that terrible father of his but he really seems to be in love with Celty. He seems to be ammoral than evil, at the least.
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-07-27 at 16:32. Reason: garbled thoughts
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote