AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-07, 21:32   Link #281
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
I'm glad I found this thread.

After another lockout, hockey is back and some teams have an impressive set of 10-11 games so far. Among them, NY Islanders, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, Edmonton and Montreal. However on the other end, the likes of Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Detroit, Washington and Los Angeles started the shortened season horrendously. What are your opinions about this early stage of the season?

What I also notice most is how a large number of young rookies are making their mark in the NHL so far: Nail Yakupov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Alex Galchenyuk, Dougie Hamilton, Brendan Gallagher, Cory Conacher, Mikael Granlund, etc. Pretty exciting days ahead for the NHL indeed.

C'mon people! I'd love to see some life in here.
__________________
GREEN AND GOLD STRONG. GLAZERS OUT!

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-02-08 at 12:05.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 11:50   Link #282
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
The season is off to a great start if you ask me, the teams that are winning are winning in numbers and the teams that are losing are losing in numbers. Pittsburgh and Boston are both dominating in the east right now while Chicago, San Jose, and Anaheim dominate the west. If I had to name two teams to go to the Cup right now, I would probably say it would be Boston vs San Jose, but a lot can change over the rest of this shortened season.

The teams that are doing bad that surprised me the most are the Capitals at 2-8 (dafuq?) and the Wilds at 4-5. I am not even going to begin discussing the Capitals cause I have no idea how it has gone so wrong so fast. The Wilds record isn't terrible but I was expecting them to shoot out of the game somewhat with all the people they obtained over the offseason, only time will tell if they can get it together I guess.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 12:23   Link #283
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
The season is off to a great start if you ask me, the teams that are winning are winning in numbers and the teams that are losing are losing in numbers. Pittsburgh and Boston are both dominating in the east right now while Chicago, San Jose, and Anaheim dominate the west. If I had to name two teams to go to the Cup right now, I would probably say it would be Boston vs San Jose, but a lot can change over the rest of this shortened season.

The teams that are doing bad that surprised me the most are the Capitals at 2-8 (dafuq?) and the Wilds at 4-5. I am not even going to begin discussing the Capitals cause I have no idea how it has gone so wrong so fast. The Wilds record isn't terrible but I was expecting them to shoot out of the game somewhat with all the people they obtained over the offseason, only time will tell if they can get it together I guess.
At the time, my biggest shout for a Cup contender would be the Chicago Blackhawks (and my favorite player, Jonathan Toews ). But as we saw last year, anything can happen when some teams are on a hot streak going into the playoffs.

The thing about Washington is that they have players who are good individually, but not quite team players with the fire in their eyes. I think their downfall started with the 2010 first round series between Montreal and Washington (quite an epic series too). When the Habs came back from 1-3 down to win the series, I think the "aura" surrounding Ovechkin and the firewagon hockey played by the Caps was shattered. They never fully recovered since IMHO.

About the Wild... I really can't answer that one, especially their lackluster results in goalscoring.
__________________
GREEN AND GOLD STRONG. GLAZERS OUT!
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 10:50   Link #284
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
At the time, my biggest shout for a Cup contender would be the Chicago Blackhawks (and my favorite player, Jonathan Toews ). But as we saw last year, anything can happen when some teams are on a hot streak going into the playoffs.

The thing about Washington is that they have players who are good individually, but not quite team players with the fire in their eyes. I think their downfall started with the 2010 first round series between Montreal and Washington (quite an epic series too). When the Habs came back from 1-3 down to win the series, I think the "aura" surrounding Ovechkin and the firewagon hockey played by the Caps was shattered. They never fully recovered since IMHO.

About the Wild... I really can't answer that one, especially their lackluster results in goalscoring.
I like the Blackhawks to be up there as well, but no matter how good Crawford is playing right now I don't trust him to be able to carry those numbers into the playoffs. While having great goaltending might not be needed with one of the best scoring teams in the league, it always worries me come playoff time.

I can see that being true, kind of like with the Miami Heat when they got Lebron and Wade, they were doing terrible to start with those two because they were each use to being the star player. The difference is, the Heat eventually developed into a team where the Capitals did not and I think you might be right that the series vs Montreal was the turning point.

Refer to my statement about the Miami Heat again , give them time and maybe it will work out.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 23:26   Link #285
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Now that the regular season is over, it's time for the 2012-2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Here are the official match ups in the 1st round of the playoffs.

NOTE:
- Left side has Home Ice Advantage
- Bold and Underline: Current Champions
- Bold: Previous Champions

Eastern Conference

[1] Pittsburgh Penguins Vs. [8] NY Islanders

[2] Montreal Canadiens Vs. [7] Ottawa Senators

[3] Washington Capitals Vs. [6] New York Rangers

[4] Boston Bruins Vs. [5] Toronto Maple Leafs

Western Conference

[1] Chicago Blackhawks Vs. [8] Minnesota Wild

[2] Anaheim Ducks Vs. [7] Detroit Red Wings

[3] Vancouver Canucks Vs. [6] San Jose Sharks

[4] St. Louis Blues Vs. [5] Los Angeles Kings

So how do you guys think this will play out?

Will the Kings make it a 2nd concecutive Stanley Cup Title?

Will a previous Champion reclaim their Title?

Or will we have a first time Stanley Cup Champion?

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2013-04-29 at 01:37. Reason: Error fixed
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 00:30   Link #286
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think my avatar and sig makes it clear who I'm rooting for.

That's a pretty unpredictable 1st Rd, in my opinion. Though I'd be shocked if Chicago lost after the season they had.

Bruins vs. Leafs is going to be one brutally tough series, I think. It'll be interesting to see if the Blues can get revenge on LA.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 01:42   Link #287
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Saw Game 3 of Canadiens and Senators. I'll tell you this, it sure wasn't pretty. I heard that they have this rivalry but damn...

Huge line brawls breaking out in the middle of the game, which resulted in the Senators with 5 players left on the bench, and 10 for the Canadiens. And that forced them to re-work their lines. I even heard one of the forwards was assigned to Defense for that game because of it.

I'm may not be a fan of either both these teams, but it's one playoff game that I'll remember for a while.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 01:48   Link #288
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Habs now gone (), Canucks gone, Wild gone, Blues gone... I was hoping for more, really.

Talking of Montreal, the early elimination will leave a very bad taste in my mouth for a very long time. But again, it shows what we can't do in order to survive in the playoffs: have players who don't grind enough and D-men who can't sustain the physical game. Of course, we can always say that Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien did the best they could out of what should have been a mid-table team, it's true. I just hope the GM will genuinely be looking for more muscle and grit, unlike what his predecessors did by reminding blinded by overachievement.

Game 4 was the pivotal game... especially after how the video guys in Toronto allowed that lifeline Ottawa goal after quite a distinct kicking motion that was called out by a large majority of pundits covering the game in both French and English. That game should have never gone into OT. Lindy Ruff said it best in 1999 about the video replay guys screwing things up: "NO GOAL!"

Right now, I'll keep my eyes on the Blackhawks, hoping they can piss off Bettman once again when he gives away the Cup.
__________________
GREEN AND GOLD STRONG. GLAZERS OUT!
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 21:00   Link #289
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
So we got Pittsburgh, Ottowa, Chicago, San Jose, and LA who have already passed the first round. Other then Ottowa, none of those results really surprise me all that much, I don't know what happened to the Canadians during that series but I felt like it was all Ottowa.

Bruins vs Leafs game 6 is going on right now, looks like Leafs are going to win since they are up 2-0 with around ten minutes to go and if they win tonight then I am sure that they will win game 7 as well to my disappointment. The Bruins have seemed to be losing most of the battles on the ice since the start of game 5 and that didn't seem to change at all during game 6, even if the score board didn't say so. Leafs will advance.

Capitals vs Rangers game 7 is tomorrow I believe, I will say that the Capitals will win it on home ice, the Capitals can only fall apart in the playoffs so much before they finally break through and I think they will this year finally.

We got the Ducks vs Red Wings game tonight, and honestly I have no idea who will win that one, If I had to name a team I feel like the Ducks have a slight advantage due to better goaltending but I feel like this game could be the flip of a coin.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 00:02   Link #290
White Manju Bun
What would you know!
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
I think I held my breath for that entire game. Wings win! Im going to bed now.
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 00:28   Link #291
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Alright, while the Eastern Conference has 2 Game 7s going on tomorrow, the 1st round of the Western Conference has come to a close.

Some may already know who got eliminated and who's moving on, but for those who don't, here are the results and breakdowns:

NOTE:
- OT: Went into Overtime

Spoiler for [1] Chicago Blackhawks Vs. [8] Minnesota Wild:

Spoiler for [2] Anaheim Ducks Vs. [7] Detroit Red Wings:

Spoiler for [3] Vancouver Canucks Vs. [6] San Jose Sharks:

Spoiler for [4] St. Louis Blues Vs. [5] Los Angeles Kings:

Now with the 1st round of the Western Conference done, here are the Semi-Final Match-ups:

Spoiler for Western Conference Semi-Final Match-Ups:

Tomorrow in the Eastern Confernece we have Game 7 of...

[3] Washington Capitals Vs. [6] New York Rangers

[4] Boston Bruins Vs. [5] Toronto Maple Leafs

How do you guys think these Match-Ups will turn out?

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2013-05-13 at 02:58. Reason: Western Conference Semi-Final Match-Ups added
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 21:07   Link #292
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
my god, that Bruins game, well I am horrible at predicting games it seems, going to be 0-3 in these last 3 game 7's this year. Well I am glad that my Bruins advanced either way . At least my pre-season prediction of a Sharks-Bruins Stanley Cup game still has a chance to happen so I will root for that outcome now

Last edited by Soverence; 2013-05-13 at 23:21.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 22:34   Link #293
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Well, now with Game 7 of the Caps Vs. Rangers and Bruins Vs. Leafs done, the 1st round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs are officially done.

Here are the results and Series Breakdowns for 1st round of the Eastern Conference (for those who don't know):

NOTE:
- OT: Went into Overtime

Spoiler for [1] Pittsburgh Penguins Vs. [8] New York Islanders:

Spoiler for [2] Montreal Canadiens Vs. [7] Ottawa Senators:

Spoiler for [3] Washington Capitals Vs. [6] New York Rangers:

Spoiler for [4] Boston Bruins Vs. [5] Toronto Maple Leafs:


Now with the 1st round officially over, now it's time for the Semi-Finals. And here are the Match-Ups (Higher Seeds, of course, have Home Ice Advantage):

Spoiler for Western Conference:

Spoiler for Eastern Conference:


Any thoughts on what the outcome might be?

I have one.
Spoiler for Thoughts:
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 08:45   Link #294
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
not trying to be mean, but hey, rubbing it in is what all sport fans like to do

Let me start by that, from now on, all leafs fan should think twice before using the word "choke" to describe other teams
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 15:43   Link #295
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
[1] Chicago Blackhawks Vs. [7] Detroit Red Wings:
Well I don't like saying a series will be a one-sided series, I feel like that will be the case in this series. The Blackhawks have been at such a higher level then everyone else all year and have continued playing at that level in the first round. I don't see them slowing down at all and winning this series in 5 games.

[5] Los Angeles Kings Vs. [6]San Jose Sharks:
This is probably the closest series in this round, both teams have hot goalies that are playing at a high level. I feel like the series will go to the offense that can score first and put the opposing goalie off balance somewhat and in this series the Sharks certainly have the better offense. I will take the Sharks in 7 in this series.

[1] Pittsburgh Penguins Vs. [7] Ottawa Senators:
I feel like most people think this will be a close series after the Senators came out and handled the Canadians in the first round, but I personally feel like the Penguins will still be too much for the Senators in the Second Round. The penguins offense was amazing in the first round, their goalie was what struggled but I think that their goalie will settle down and allow the high powered offense to win it for them. Senators have a great defense and goalie which will certainly limit the Penguins offense to a extent. If their offense is hot like they were in the first round again as well and can capitalize before the Penguins goalie can settle in, then they have a chance, but I don't see it happening. Penguins in 6.

[4] Boston Bruins Vs. [6] New York Rangers:
Well, this series is probably the trickiest of all the series to call in my opinion. On one hand, the Rangers have been quite consistent through the first round on both sides of the ice which gives them a definite advantage throughout a seven game series. With all the injuries to Boston players and the fact that the Bruins seem to go from being the Blackhawks to the Avalanche every so often during a series, its hard to say who will win. I feel like if Boston can play at the top of their game, they have the advantage, other wise the consistency of the Rangers will win it. Ill take the Rangers in 7 though because I feel like Boston will have some troubles.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 15:51   Link #296
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
[5] Los Angeles Kings Vs. [6]San Jose Sharks:
This is probably the closest series in this round, both teams have hot goalies that are playing at a high level. I feel like the series will go to the offense that can score first and put the opposing goalie off balance somewhat and in this series the Sharks certainly have the better offense. I will take the Sharks in 7 in this series.

[1] Pittsburgh Penguins Vs. [7] Ottawa Senators:
I feel like most people think this will be a close series after the Senators came out and handled the Canadians in the first round, but I personally feel like the Penguins will still be too much for the Senators in the Second Round. The penguins offense was amazing in the first round, their goalie was what struggled but I think that their goalie will settle down and allow the high powered offense to win it for them. Senators have a great defense and goalie which will certainly limit the Penguins offense to a extent. If their offense is hot like they were in the first round again as well and can capitalize before the Penguins goalie can settle in, then they have a chance, but I don't see it happening. Penguins in 6.
Well, Game 1 of those series are on tonight. Maybe we can get a glimpse of those predictions.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 00:21   Link #297
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
Well, Game 1 of those series are on tonight. Maybe we can get a glimpse of those predictions.
Well it seems my penguins prediction was right for game 1 at least, my opinion for the Sharks vs Kings was kind of right in the fact that who scored first was the one who won it, just not who I though would jump out for the 1-0 series lead. Either way, still a long series so they could both still go either way.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 01:43   Link #298
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
Well it seems my penguins prediction was right for game 1 at least, my opinion for the Sharks vs Kings was kind of right in the fact that who scored first was the one who won it, just not who I though would jump out for the 1-0 series lead. Either way, still a long series so they could both still go either way.
That wasn't really a game, nor was it a slaughter...

You can say that I'm furious on how the Sharks did in Game 1. Especially on how they basically handed the 1st goal to the Kings on a Silver Platter.

Spoiler for Thoughts:

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2013-05-16 at 02:52. Reason: Update in Thoughts
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 10:57   Link #299
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 20
Well after that demoralizing game 2 for the Sharks I have to change my mind that the Kings will probably win this series now. Not even the fact that they lost changed my mind but the way that they lost will be so demoralizing on top of the fact they are missing all those players. I can't see them rebounding from this unless they can with both of their home games to change the momentum then they have a chance.

The Bruins v Rangers game one was as close of a game as I expected it to be, intense overtime with all the shots by the Bruins and all the cross bar/goal post hits they had in the late 3rd / overtime. Rangers seemed too easy to turn the puck over, granted the Bruins did some as well in the overtime period but I felt the Rangers did it so much more. They were losing battles along the wall, making bad open ice passes. Only time the Rangers looked scary was when they were moving through the neutral zone, they were faster then Boston by far and because of that each time entering the zone looked like a possible scoring chance to me. I will still say Rangers in 7 at this point, I would be shocked though if this series went to anything less then 6-7 games to either team.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 14:36   Link #300
DarkJak2050
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
Well after that demoralizing game 2 for the Sharks I have to change my mind that the Kings will probably win this series now. Not even the fact that they lost changed my mind but the way that they lost will be so demoralizing on top of the fact they are missing all those players. I can't see them rebounding from this unless they can with both of their home games to change the momentum then they have a chance.
Spoiler for Initial reaction after the Kings game tying and winning goals:


With how they played, I don't think the Shark Tank will help.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2010, hockey, nhl, playoffs, stanley cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.