AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-15, 02:04   Link #21
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
P2P won't in any way become core to the internet due to its nature as a popularity contest. That which is popular continues to exist, and marginal stuff gets swept into the abyss.

Guess what would be left?

Sadly, 90% of P2P systems _are_ used for warez, and the only one that might have extensive use outside of it (freenet) is horribly slow and has a disproportionate amount of what would essentially be illegal materials (solely cause of its anonymous nature.)

I don't see P2P replacing anything, but I do see system like bittorrent being implemented for official distribution of large files (like id and various game sites do.) I can guarantee that P2P will never replace HTTP or FTP for day-to-day internet activity simply because of its unreliability.
Old 2003-11-15, 02:07   Link #22
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Well first of all you should know that True peer to peer is only effective with less then 10 computers. Since all of the so-called "P2P" networks make use of peers who turn their computers into servers it's not a whole hell of alot different then the current model of the internet.

Second of all, the school can ban what ever the hell they want. Even if it makes no sense what so ever the school, if it wanted to could ban it they can.

I fairly sure that only a vast minorty of people actually use fileshare programs for their intended legal uses. Thousands of people download naruto every week. How many of those people have ever used Bittorrent to dl a linux iso? There may have been one or two, but that isn't a whole lot. For every person who downloads a linux iso using BT I'm entirely sure that at least 100 people download some file of debatable legality.

How many ISOs have you downloaded with BT recently? Why are you browsing a non-freenet site? These website are very insecure, non-private. How many legal songs have you downloaded on the Fastrack network?
Old 2003-11-15, 02:21   Link #23
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Filesharing is not a violation of copyright laws. Only when you share copyrighted information without the consent of the holder is there a violation.
And are you sure that if the Uni says "Dont download licensed music, warez, games, etc.." someone will REALLY do that?
The 99,9% of the files on BT, or kazaa, winmx, emule, usenet, etc. are illegal, I dont see a problem if your school blocks those applications, hell the school can do whatever it wants with their systeml, dont you think? -_-;;

I dont think they wants to go into problems for sharing illegal material just because a single person might want to trade a selfmade MP3 while 1500 others are downloading copyrighted material.
Old 2003-11-15, 02:56   Link #24
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by extarbags
That's very cute, and it makes sense that they'd go after someone with more money... it's a shame that they have no legal ground on which to do so.
Then how do you explain the Judicial Administrator letters that people get when they get cracked down on by the MPAA? That has happened at my school _many_ times, even once when my friend's computer was compromised. MPAA has the right to sue someone if they are indeed distributing illegal materials or intentionally allowing others to use their network to do so. Basically you can sue the bank robbers, AND the get away drivers.
Old 2003-11-23, 16:11   Link #25
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Thousands of people download naruto every week. How many of those people have ever used Bittorrent to dl a linux iso?
That question can be reversed. How many people downloading linux with BT are also downloading Naruto?

I believe the more popular such distributions run into the tens of thousands of downloaders. It makes sense, after all, linux has millions of users, and a significant proportion obtain it through downloading.

But none of this is important. Bittorrent was designed for legal purposes, and is used for legal purposes. The proportion of the total usage that these form is unimportant in most respects.

Quote:
How many ISOs have you downloaded with BT recently?
Given the forum I'm posting on, such a comparison is heavily weighted.

Quote:
Why are you browsing a non-freenet site? These website are very insecure, non-private.
Because I'm not terribly worried about people finding out I'm going to such a site. If I lived in China and wanted to view information that the government was eager to censor, things might be different.

Quote:
How many legal songs have you downloaded on the Fastrack network?
Actually, quite a lot. Classical music, you understand.
Old 2003-11-23, 16:17   Link #26
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Filesharing is not a violation of copyright laws. Only when you share copyrighted information without the consent of the holder is there a violation.
And are you sure that if the Uni says "Dont download licensed music, warez, games, etc.." someone will REALLY do that?
The 99,9% of the files on BT, or kazaa, winmx, emule, usenet, etc. are illegal, I dont see a problem if your school blocks those applications, hell the school can do whatever it wants with their systeml, dont you think? -_-;;

I dont think they wants to go into problems for sharing illegal material just because a single person might want to trade a selfmade MP3 while 1500 others are downloading copyrighted material.
All of that is quite valid, (except the 99.9% statistic looks rather suspicious when applied to BT and usenet), but none of it actually relates to my previous post, which wasn't intended to imply more than it said.
Closed Thread