AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-02, 04:10   Link #661
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Brilliant coming of age seinen drama. It's been a long time since I watched one of these after these types of shows not existing for about 2+ years (last one I remember was ef tale of melodies in 2008). What's even better is that Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha is up next (in this coming season). What's with the sudden boom in the seinen drama category all of a sudden. Not that I"m complaining
Old 2011-04-02, 09:58   Link #662
CWW
Lurker

I don't know about the drama part. Episode 10-11 ended in a bit of a cliffhanger between Shu and Doi, with the latter acting rather displeased. Then episode 12 pretended like nothing had happened. No one brought up the issues that triggered the drama in 10-11 and everyone went their merrily ways again. Doi's fascination of Shu is still up in the air. It was a good final episode, don't get me wrong, and that's all I could ask for really considering the time restraint, but dramatic it was not.

On a more non-serious and appropriately ending note, ZOMG EPIK ANNA BLUSHING!!!!!11111one
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 11:23   Link #663
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
Spoiler for ep 12:

Definitely a solid 10 for me, this anime covers important, realistic issues that young people face in a sensitive way. Perhaps if they had an opening that showed each character with a marquee of their name on the screen (ala Clannad) it would have been easier to learn who everyone was, but well worth any confusion to watch.
I started reading the manga, and got to the anime's starting point. I gotta say, I expected to see a lot worse from Doi. I'm not saying what he did wasn't bad, but I can see why he didn't think of it as a big deal, either. It certainly wasn't a case of persistent, intense bullying like I expected.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 11:54   Link #664
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I started reading the manga, and got to the anime's starting point. I gotta say, I expected to see a lot worse from Doi. I'm not saying what he did wasn't bad, but I can see why he didn't think of it as a big deal, either.
When the manga starts Doi and Shuu are about 9 or 10 years old. By the time the anime starts they're 12 plus and eighteen months pass before the events of episode 12 occur, making them 13 or 14. Everybody is changing, entering puberty, becoming different. In a less-realistic manga Doi would have been the Eternal Bully, Shuu his Eternal Punchbag but they're not since this manga/anime is, if not realistic, at least aware that people and especially children change with time. It was unnamed members of Shuu's class that made fun of him coming to school dressed as a girl, jamming the classroom doors when he tried to enter the next day. Doi wasn't part of that.
Old 2011-04-02, 12:20   Link #665
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I know. What I'm saying is, we've all been treating Doi as an horrible person for not getting that Shu hasn't gotten over what happened in elementary school and all. But the truth is, it was one instance of mocking him for exchanging a diary with Takatsuki, and reading said diary to his class. From the anime, I got the impression Doi had personally bullied Shuichi for months or years, throwing homophobic epithets at him one after the other, but that's not what happened at all.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 18:25   Link #666
achirist

Quote:
I started reading the manga, and got to the anime's starting point. I gotta say, I expected to see a lot worse from Doi. I'm not saying what he did wasn't bad, but I can see why he didn't think of it as a big deal, either. It certainly wasn't a case of persistent, intense bullying like I expected.
That's interesting; 'Ive just started reading the manga as well, though I'm only on the first volume and haven't seen Doi yet. I also got the impression it was a persistent, ongoing thing from the anime. But I guess the event just would have impacted and meant a lot more to Shuu than it did to Doi.
Old 2011-04-03, 00:04   Link #667
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
What did Anna say that was supposed to have been so mean to Shu?
Old 2011-04-03, 07:40   Link #668
Solafighter
Hige

On almost every episode, i was thinking "shall i continue watching this anime, or not". Well, and just after episode 11, i thought "OMG, its over?!".

Good ending(anime quality wise).

I read people talking about episode 12, 13 and 14? Is there coming more?
Old 2011-04-03, 08:52   Link #669
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
What did Anna say that was supposed to have been so mean to Shu?
She did dump him but mostly she's just hard on herself.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 11:54   Link #670
Kisekai
★★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I don't know about the drama part. Episode 10-11 ended in a bit of a cliffhanger between Shu and Doi, with the latter acting rather displeased. Then episode 12 pretended like nothing had happened. No one brought up the issues that triggered the drama in 10-11 and everyone went their merrily ways again. Doi's fascination of Shu is still up in the air. It was a good final episode, don't get me wrong, and that's all I could ask for really considering the time restraint, but dramatic it was not.

On a more non-serious and appropriately ending note, ZOMG EPIK ANNA BLUSHING!!!!!11111one
Hold on... episode 12? How come I only have 11 and I've watched the entire series (I think)?

Ain't the last one when Shu and Anna get to talk at the front gate then the show is over when the play starts?

Anywho, I totally loved this show. I liked how it subtle the important stuff was and how over-exaggerated the odd stuff was.
My favorite scene from all the show must be that one in the last episode, where Chiba hugs Shu when he's sitting in her room, after she's done arranging the wig for him. It totally gave me goosebumps.
Old 2011-04-03, 12:03   Link #671
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisekai View Post
Hold on... episode 12? How come I only have 11 and I've watched the entire series (I think)?

Ain't the last one when Shu and Anna get to talk at the front gate then the show is over when the play starts?

Anywho, I totally loved this show. I liked how it subtle the important stuff was and how over-exaggerated the odd stuff was.
My favorite scene from all the show must be that one in the last episode, where Chiba hugs Shu when he's sitting in her room, after she's done arranging the wig for him. It totally gave me goosebumps.
The airing episode 11 is the "12th dvd" episode while 10 was "10+11th dvd" episode since they had changed their mind about 12 being a dvd only episode and thus did half of 10/11 together so they could air the last episode still.
Old 2011-04-03, 12:07   Link #672
Kisekai
★★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
The airing episode 11 is the "12th dvd" episode while 10 was "10+11th dvd" episode since they had changed their mind about 12 being a dvd only episode and thus did half of 10/11 together so they could air the last episode still.
I see I see I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks
Old 2011-04-03, 13:42   Link #673
alarmadadna hadi

Doi reminds me of this guy I knew in high school, even up to how he's better at some type of writing, perhaps that's why I found his relation with shu so fascinating.

The ending kept going thru my head in bed, how nice, its as if he got the chance to be what he really is under everyone's applause and approval.
Old 2011-04-03, 13:49   Link #674
Haak
PARTY HARD

Quote:
I know. What I'm saying is, we've all been treating Doi as an horrible person for not getting that Shu hasn't gotten over what happened in elementary school and all. But the truth is, it was one instance of mocking him for exchanging a diary with Takatsuki, and reading said diary to his class. From the anime, I got the impression Doi had personally bullied Shuichi for months or years, throwing homophobic epithets at him one after the other, but that's not what happened at all.
That's exactly what I assumed aswell.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:23   Link #675
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I have a good excuse for slacking - Japan is amazing as ever and ryokan has no wifi - but I'm slowly getting back in the game. Loved the finale, and the entire series:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 18:33   Link #676
achirist

Having read more of the manga, I don't think a prequel is possible considering the way they setup and introduced the characters in the anime. Showing what came before would create a lot of contradictions for the anime story.
Old 2011-04-07, 02:47   Link #677
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

In spite of some of my early criticisms of this show, it ends up being quite the treat, and I am very sad it's already over. Much too soon!

Luckily there are some real quality series this Spring to replace it, but I might just be forced to check the manga now .

I'll give this series a very solid 8.5/10.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 12:44   Link #678
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
but I might just be forced to check the manga now .
If you do, make sure that you start from the beginning. Best to check out the 30ish chapters that were not animated.
Old 2011-04-08, 04:09   Link #679
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If you do, make sure that you start from the beginning. Best to check out the 30ish chapters that were not animated.
I checked out the manga from the beginning and I must say, there was tons and tons of developments and key scenes integral to understanding all the characters that didn't make it to the anime.

In spite of that, the anime still did a pretty darn good job though.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 18:34   Link #680
FireChick

Awww. What a sweet little anime this was. I loved every minute of it! I hope Crunchyroll streams the full versions of episodes 10 and 11.

Oh! This is kind of a random thought that's been following me since I finished the show. What if maybe AIC and Noitamina animated the middle of the manga as some sort of publicity stunt? Perhaps maybe, if Wandering Son was popular enough, they planned to make a prequel to the series which intends to animate all the chapters they skipped (perhaps possibly not on the Noitamina timeslot this time). It could be possible! It's happened with other anime! But then again I could be wrong. This is just a silly and random assumption from my feeble little autistic brain.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, genderbender, noitamina, school life, seinen