AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-29, 22:15   Link #301
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Oh? I didn't notice but I think only Chikage's eyes are red (?), which links him more to those blood-crazed Shinsengumi we saw in the first episode.
True but check this out. He doesn't have normal eyes.

That being said, Kyuuju acts more ethically than Chikage. He doesn't seem to want to mix it up just for the fun of getting into a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
As of Right now there are three clan's I think

Satsuma - Kazama and Kyuuju/ worked with Aizu clan, was mentioned it was rare for that to happen
Aizu - Seen to be working with Shinsengumi/ Don't know much after that
Choushuu - Clan that burned Kyoto, attacked the Emperor/ Probably near wiped out
Actually there is one more. When the Shinsengumi first arrive at the magistrate's office, they are turned away by the Shoshidai, who, it is explained, are in the employ of the Kuwana clan.

I am guessing the main three are the ones you mentioned, though. The Choshu (Choushuu) aren't wiped out yet, though. For one thing, Kyou (the guy with the gun) seems to be working with them.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 23:12   Link #302
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Spoiler for Sannan:
Spoiler for Sannan:

Not enough Hiji x Chizu in ep. 4.
Old 2010-04-30, 08:37   Link #303
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
He seems nice to me. The guy deserves some sympathy. He's a samurai. It's his way of life. He lives and breaths it. To have that taken away from him is just too cruel.
I don't dislike him, I actually understand him very well. I'm in a very similar situation.
Old 2010-04-30, 09:09   Link #304
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I don't dislike him, I actually understand him very well. I'm in a very similar situation.
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that.

But just so everyone knows, that comment wasn't directed at anyone. I was just giving my persepective on the guy (eventually, I'll remember his name.)

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-30 at 09:37.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 13:41   Link #305
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai View Post
does anyone know around how old each character is or know where a site that can tell me?
I searched around Wikipedia, starting with the Shinsengumi article and then linking to articles for each member. These are the real ages of the real people. Not sure if the anime sticks with that or not:

Kondou Isami -- b. Nov 1834. So age 30 at the time of the anime (1864, I think).

Hijikata Toshizou -- b. May 1835. age 29.

Inoue Genzaburou -- b. April 1829. age 35.

Okita Souji -- b. 1842/1844. age 20-22.

Nagakura Shinpachi -- b. 1839. age 25.

Saitou Hajime -- b. Feb 1844. age 20.

Harada Sanosuke -- b. 1840. age 24.

Toudou Heisuke -- b. 1844. age 20.

Yamanami Keisuke -- b. 1833. age 31.

Clans and history:

In 1853, US warships under Matthew Perry arrived in Japan and forced the country to open to the West. The country split into two main factions: one wanting to "expel the foreigners and support the emperor" and the other supporting the Tokugawa Shogunate, the military regime that had controlled the country for the past 200 years, keeping the emperor as a figurehead.

Among major clans in Japan, the Choushuu clan was with the pro-Emperor, anti-foreign faction. The Aizu clan was for the shogunate. The Satsuma clan (and also the current emperor) wanted to bring the two sides together. The Satsuma wanted Japan to modernize quickly by learning from the foreigners.

Kyoto was controlled by the Choushuu clan. In the early 1860s, there were many cases of violence between the Choushuu faction and the Aizu and Satsuma factions in Kyoto. To keep order in Kyoto, in 1863 the Shogun formed the Shinsengumi from samurai (and even non-samurai) swordsmen unattached to any clan. But the Shinsengumi were fairly violent, and people feared them as much as the other violence.

In September 1863, Aizu and Satsuma forced the Choushuu out of Kyoto, with the help of the Shinsengumi.

In July 1864 came the Ikedaya affair, in which the Shinsengumi broke up a gathering of Choushuu rebels at the Ikedaya inn. They had supposedly been planning to burn Kyoto. The Shinsengumi became much more respected at this point.

In August 1864, the Choushuu tried to break into the Imperial palace and kidnap the emperor away from the Shogun's forces to be the head of a new regime. The Aizu and Satsuma defeated them, but many escaped. The Shogun sent an expedition against them under a Satsuma general, but he refrained from fighting and allowed some Choushuu leaders to commit suicide and end their rebellion.

Later, the Satsuma joined the Choushuu in favor of getting rid of the Shogun. In 1868, the Shogun's forces (including the Shinsengumi) were finally defeated by the Choushuu and Satsuma, and the new regime under the Meiji Emperor began.

I think this show is taking some liberties with history, but is following it generally. I just cobbled this together from various Wikipedia articles, since I need to know more about this period, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-04-30 at 14:08.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 14:00   Link #306
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Then from history (and seems like the direction this series is taking) we know the eventual fates of our Shinsengumi bishies.

...although Kazuma...I'm loving him as much as Hijikata.

Thanks for the history info Kaoru, sure puts everything in better perspective.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 15:50   Link #307
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The show has indeed been (surprisingly) more or less faithful to history so far, but I think that is quickly going to change. The story seems like it's going to focus on Chizuru's father and that medicine of his, which it goes without saying, isn't real. The villains introduced in episode 4 are also original characters and not real people.
Old 2010-04-30, 21:48   Link #308
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The show has indeed been (surprisingly) more or less faithful to history so far, but I think that is quickly going to change. The story seems like it's going to focus on Chizuru's father and that medicine of his, which it goes without saying, isn't real. The villains introduced in episode 4 are also original characters and not real people.
Totally agree. It prob has already deviated. Hiji doesn't look 29 for starts. Chizu most likely is anime original. And if those Shinsengumi already took that medicine, then the future deaths prob can't happen to way they did in reality.
Old 2010-05-01, 00:58   Link #309
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
About the age of the anime characters aren't the same as the historical characters... they called Heisuke a kids lol and you listed he's 20 and i believe he's around 15 or so in the anime... and also Isami is suppose to be an old man compared to Hijikata. I read from wikipedia that Okita is suppose to be the second youngest of the members.

Thanks for the info again so i guess I can't really rely on the historical figures to know their ages. I'll just estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I searched around Wikipedia, starting with the Shinsengumi article and then linking to articles for each member. These are the real ages of the real people. Not sure if the anime sticks with that or not:

Kondou Isami -- b. Nov 1834. So age 30 at the time of the anime (1864, I think).

Clans and history:

In 1853, US warships under Matthew Perry arrived in Japan and forced the country to open to the West. The country split into two main factions: one wanting to "expel the foreigners and support the emperor" and the other supporting the Tokugawa Shogunate, the military regime that had controlled the country for the past 200 years, keeping the emperor as a figurehead.

Among major clans in Japan, the Choushuu clan was with the pro-Emperor, anti-foreign faction. The Aizu clan was for the shogunate. The Satsuma clan (and also the current emperor) wanted to bring the two sides together. The Satsuma wanted Japan to modernize quickly by learning from the foreigners.

Kyoto was controlled by the Choushuu clan. In the early 1860s, there were many cases of violence between the Choushuu faction and the Aizu and Satsuma factions in Kyoto. To keep order in Kyoto, in 1863 the Shogun formed the Shinsengumi from samurai (and even non-samurai) swordsmen unattached to any clan. But the Shinsengumi were fairly violent, and people feared them as much as the other violence.

In September 1863, Aizu and Satsuma forced the Choushuu out of Kyoto, with the help of the Shinsengumi.

In July 1864 came the Ikedaya affair, in which the Shinsengumi broke up a gathering of Choushuu rebels at the Ikedaya inn. They had supposedly been planning to burn Kyoto. The Shinsengumi became much more respected at this point.

In August 1864, the Choushuu tried to break into the Imperial palace and kidnap the emperor away from the Shogun's forces to be the head of a new regime. The Aizu and Satsuma defeated them, but many escaped. The Shogun sent an expedition against them under a Satsuma general, but he refrained from fighting and allowed some Choushuu leaders to commit suicide and end their rebellion.

Later, the Satsuma joined the Choushuu in favor of getting rid of the Shogun. In 1868, the Shogun's forces (including the Shinsengumi) were finally defeated by the Choushuu and Satsuma, and the new regime under the Meiji Emperor began.

I think this show is taking some liberties with history, but is following it generally. I just cobbled this together from various Wikipedia articles, since I need to know more about this period, too.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:39   Link #310
Bulan
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

These numbers don't seem that old to me

Too many factions and major players, and it's become confusing trying to figure out who belongs to which team! I guess it's easier to follow along if one knows enough historical background about 19th century Japan. Then again I don't think the animators are specifically targeting a universal (Western) audience. Good thing there's Google, eh?

I think part of the poetic romance behind the real-life Shinsengumi is that you have this group of talented swordsmen who, for the most part, died fairly young fighting for a cause that they truly believed in at a major turning point in Japan's history-- youth empowerment of sorts, anyone?

Anyways, does anyone else think that Hakuouki will have a second season? There are only nine episodes to go, and so far the series have barely scratched the surface, plot-wise. Things are starting to get really interesting, too. Either the animators will do a shoddy rush job of the remaining episodes, or the studio probably has a second season planned to tie things up...??
Bulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 17:45   Link #311
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulan View Post
Anyways, does anyone else think that Hakuouki will have a second season? There are only nine episodes to go, and so far the series have barely scratched the surface, plot-wise. Things are starting to get really interesting, too. Either the animators will do a shoddy rush job of the remaining episodes, or the studio probably has a second season planned to tie things up...??
Well, aren't the chances for these types of shoujo series getting a second season being low? I, myself, do hope there will be a second season...or at least extend this one to 26 episodes. Well, I know there's a prequel to Hakuouki being released for the Otome games.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-05-01, 19:34   Link #312
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Well, aren't the chances for these types of shoujo series getting a second season being low? I, myself, do hope there will be a second season...or at least extend this one to 26 episodes. Well, I know there's a prequel to Hakuouki being released for the Otome games.
But it does seem that it is going slow for a show that has to end in 9 episodes. Chizu hasn't started finding clues about her father yet. 3 females aren't introduced formally yet.
Old 2010-05-01, 20:41   Link #313
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

W
atched until episode 3 yet to watch episode 4 was caught up with old animes . Though good to hear <Teaser>Sannan is turning to dark side </Teaser>. Regarding episode 3 what I really liked was the sword fight . The sword play was realistic and attention to detail was pretty good . But they could lose the the PS Effect after every sword strike ?? . Have they copy/pasted this from the game? IMO does look out of place . Red Eyed Protagonist was sweet, loved his sense of calm and style . This show is finally picking up pace in terms of plot . If the first two episode were introductory the the 3rd episode was a transitional . Chriruzu has earned her spurs I was hoping to see her don Shinsengumi Robes . I mean her service even as a messenger earned her the right , And speaking from a tactical p.o.v. her civilian clothes make her stand out . And that way she is more prone to attacks .

Regarding the discussion on 13 episodes ? We have to keep checking viewer ratings . If this show is popular, it can get an extension to 6 month slot . Ghost 07 & Darker than Black all started out as 12/13 episodes anime, but later got extended .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2010-05-01 at 20:53.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 23:27   Link #314
Forsaken_Infinity

Sucks that the shinsengumi personnel I hate the most is the focus of the show. Oh well.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 23:35   Link #315
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Saw this pic of Saito as a megane...and had to share it. finally figured out to make thumbnails from PB OTL

EDIT: more pics...including ever so rare Hiji x Chizu pics.
Spoiler for save space:

EDIT2: Forgot to turn off PB from resizing my images, so these are smaller but if anyone wants the large version of any of these pics, just let me know.

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Last edited by PreSage; 2010-05-01 at 23:46.
Old 2010-05-02, 04:33   Link #316
Forsaken_Infinity

Ugh...I guess I am alone in my despise for Hiji. Well, I don't really like the girl all that much either so I don't care for the couple I guess.

And this series doesn't do justice to my image of Okita. Come on, the guy is supposed to be a freaking hawtshawt prodigy.

Also, I doubt the credibility of the pics couple of pages earlier that were claimed as Saito's and Harada's (?) or someone. I have seen some other pics claiming to be them and I have seen those pics used for other members of shinsengumi too. But of course, they couldn't have been anywhere near as bisho as in the anime lol.
Old 2010-05-02, 10:43   Link #317
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Ugh...I guess I am alone in my despise for Hiji. Well, I don't really like the girl all that much either so I don't care for the couple I guess.
Ah, you are prob alone if you don't like Chizu. She's the protag. She's cute and wields a sword. And she's got a secret.

With all the Saito pics, they are prob a "few" *sarcasm* who favor Saito over Hiji. I'm firmly in the Hiji camp. The hair, that voice, his design. Go Hiji!

Aw, I can't give Presage any more cookies for Hiji x Chizu pics.
Old 2010-05-02, 13:59   Link #318
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Ah, you are prob alone if you don't like Chizu. She's the protag. She's cute and wields a sword. And she's got a secret.

With all the Saito pics, they are prob a "few" *sarcasm* who favor Saito over Hiji. I'm firmly in the Hiji camp. The hair, that voice, his design. Go Hiji!

Aw, I can't give Presage any more cookies for Hiji x Chizu pics.
Never said I dislike her or anything.

I could care less about the pics, I have always admired Saito while I have always found Hiji at fault. I don't care how this anime has depicted things, the truth is, Hiji was the one at fault regarding Yamanami's death. And a lot of other things. Basically an arrogant idiot who couldn't even hold the rest of shinsengumi together after Kondou's death. (I mean, after their leader's death, most of the core shinsengumi must have been dying to get revenge or something, and yet, they broke apart. I can't see anything other than Hiji's arrogance being responsible, it was hinted by Shinpachi too)

Saito, on the other hand, was more skilled with the sword and stayed loyal to everyone he served. Although I like everyone from the shinsengumi, Hiji is by and far my least favorite. And maybe it's just my aesthetic sense but I don't like Hiji's design either, way way too Bisho for me. Actually, the only ones I actually like the design of are Saito, Inoue, Yamanami and Kondou. Even Okita has a "wtf o.0" design. Screw them, they made me dislike the design of my favorite shinsengumi

On a positive note, the VAs are all fucking awesome.
Old 2010-05-02, 14:15   Link #319
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Never said I dislike her or anything.

I could care less about the pics, I have always admired Saito while I have always found Hiji at fault. I don't care how this anime has depicted things, the truth is, Hiji was the one at fault regarding Yamanami's death. And a lot of other things. Basically an arrogant idiot who couldn't even hold the rest of shinsengumi together after Kondou's death. (I mean, after their leader's death, most of the core shinsengumi must have been dying to get revenge or something, and yet, they broke apart. I can't see anything other than Hiji's arrogance being responsible, it was hinted by Shinpachi too)

Saito, on the other hand, was more skilled with the sword and stayed loyal to everyone he served. Although I like everyone from the shinsengumi, Hiji is by and far my least favorite. And maybe it's just my aesthetic sense but I don't like Hiji's design either, way way too Bisho for me. Actually, the only ones I actually like the design of are Saito, Inoue, Yamanami and Kondou. Even Okita has a "wtf o.0" design. Screw them, they made me dislike the design of my favorite shinsengumi

On a positive note, the VAs are all fucking awesome.
Well, this isn't a true historical retelling. It's a fantasy title based around a few historical events as a backdrop. Just enjoy the ride if you can. I'm betting that Hiji's the main route.
Old 2010-05-02, 14:18   Link #320
kitten320

I also don't like Hijikata much, duno why. He just doesn't get my attention. I find others far more interesting.

Tags
edo setting, josei, otome, shinsengumi