AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-10-07, 15:48   Link #1041
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Ah, to be a teenage girl again. Good times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
and i had no idea Maisie was only one year younger to Sophie, from watching GOT i though there would have been at least 4-5 year gap.
That's what happens when you're a full foot taller (or a full foot shorter) than your friends .

Last edited by james0246; 2013-10-07 at 20:05.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 14:46   Link #1042
Candeloro1
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Next season will start in March right?
Candeloro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-20, 10:18   Link #1043
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Sorry, couldn't resist.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 21:02   Link #1044
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQNrTv0u0Qo

Don't weep for me brothers, for I have tasted the Dornishman's wife!
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 02:23   Link #1045
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified


Jack Gleeson is such a cool guy.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 21:14   Link #1046
Owlman
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
okay this may be a stupid question; but try to cut me some slack im just getting on with the series (regardless I sometimes miss certain subtleties):P I was watching the scene where Stannis tries to get Melisandre to stay with him instead of venturing off to look for Roberts other bastard son. There is a point where stannis pulls her close and tries to get intimate; but then something happens to him, he looks at her funny then quickly pulls away. Does Melisandre have some kind of Rogue-like power that drains men when they become intimate with her?

http://youtu.be/uLFz_au_lL8?t=1m3s

I also read so many angry comments about this scene! Was Stannis in the books really that much a better character (w/o spoilers pls) I actually like Stannis alot, its too bad they haven't been concentrating on him as much as that boring stark kid that can see through animals >.>, its so annoying that they keep showing us him wandering around not doing anything terribly interesting. Anyway, I loved when Stannis looked at the massacre in the ocean when Tyrion strategized using the wild fire and said "Prepare to Land." lol
Owlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 21:19   Link #1047
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
I think the key was her "Your fires burn low, my King." Basically, a nice way to say she's drained him enough times that he can't get it up at the moment.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 21:22   Link #1048
Owlman
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I think the key was her "Your fires burn low, my King." Basically, a nice way to say she's drained him enough times that he can't get it up at the moment.
lol yeah that what I thought but the way he looked at her and pulled away, it was as if he began to feel weakend somehow(he sure was exited before that moment :P). Maybe I read too much into it.
Owlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 22:20   Link #1049
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
I also read so many angry comments about this scene! Was Stannis in the books really that much a better character (w/o spoilers pls)
It's not really a question of Stannis being a better character in the book; it's that Stannis is only ever seen through the eyes of Davos. Davos is a big supporter of Stannis, so he's seen in a relatively good light. I'd say that, at this point in the story, book Stannis and TV Stannis are about even, but a lot more things in the latter are shown explicitly, while they're only hinted at in the former.

Ditto for Melisandre. Davos hates her (sort of), and we only ever see her through his eyes, so there's some distortion effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Anyway, I loved when Stannis looked at the massacre in the ocean when Tyrion strategized using the wild fire and said "Prepare to Land." lol
Stannis is one of the characters that has a lot of fans because he has the gumption to get things done. It's the same reason why Tywin (and Roose Bolton!) have their share of fans as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
lol yeah that what I thought but the way he looked at her and pulled away, it was as if he began to feel weakend somehow(he sure was exited before that moment :P). Maybe I read too much into it.
It's not a momentary weakness - the "fires are burning low" refers to Stannis' general state.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 22:28   Link #1050
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Stannis IS a better character in many ways, Davos glamor or not. He have some serious dry wit. (I will not say since it would be spoilers)

Spoiler for Book blackwater:


Also, he was the one who ordered his army north, not Melisandre or Davos.

He also given several speeches that were omit by the show that really show Stannis's character. Even his enemies acknowledge his stubbornness and endurance.

He is also known to hang rapist and
Spoiler for Spoiler:
within his army, something no other commanders

To be fair, they made Renly a bad character as well. =/
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 10:02   Link #1051
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
This is a very hard question to answer without spoilers, but in general yes - while I like what HBO has done to an overwhelming degree, I don't think Stannis has fared well in the transition. I think they've lost the essence of what makes the character great, but I can't really go into detail without saying more than I should.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 11:17   Link #1052
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a very hard question to answer without spoilers, but in general yes - while I like what HBO has done to an overwhelming degree, I don't think Stannis has fared well in the transition. I think they've lost the essence of what makes the character great, but I can't really go into detail without saying more than I should.
Renly also didn't fare well. Renly was suppose to be a very good swordsman and a younger version of Robert. But as soon he land in HBO land he became this guy you can see clearly was "unmanly" half a mile away.

Loras also seem be fucking every guy who came his way...the real Renly is also a top 5 swordsman and very committed to Renly only.

They also made Dany a lot better than book Dany (sort of). Book Dany killed a lot more people when she sacked Aperos with her Dragons.

And the worst? Gah, that Red Cross Nurse from Volentis. Jeyne was a better character, no matter what some women may say.
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 19:57   Link #1053
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I don't have as much of a problem with Renly, because while he certainly lost some of his edge unlike with Stannis I think they caught the essence of why he was important: he was the brother with charisma. He was the one the people naturally loved, which is why Stannis resented him so much.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 23:40   Link #1054
Owlman
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's not really a question of Stannis being a better character in the book; it's that Stannis is only ever seen through the eyes of Davos. Davos is a big supporter of Stannis, so he's seen in a relatively good light. I'd say that, at this point in the story, book Stannis and TV Stannis are about even, but a lot more things in the latter are shown explicitly, while they're only hinted at in the former.
Well thanks for putting things in perspective. I haven't read the books so I don't exactly know what has been done "wrong" per sae, but I enjoy his character so far. My only compalint is that he isn't given much screen time, and seems too easy for Melisandre to manipulate. But still a solid character though.

Quote:
Stannis is one of the characters that has a lot of fans because he has the gumption to get things done. It's the same reason why Tywin (and Roose Bolton!) have their share of fans as well.
Agreed. I'm a big fan of Tywin as well, it would've been great to have seen them fight at kings landing, or any kind of confrontation really. I liked when Tywin put Joffery in his place in a subtle and eleganat way, but it left me wanting more. I was hoping he'd have done something more, especially considering the way Tyrion used to smack Joffery around when he got out of hand. Seeing Tyrion go that far had me in suspense of what Tywin would do, but it turned out to be less than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't have as much of a problem with Renly, because while he certainly lost some of his edge unlike with Stannis I think they caught the essence of why he was important: he was the brother with charisma. He was the one the people naturally loved, which is why Stannis resented him so much.
I didn't read the books so I know next to nothing of his character. I would like to get a better understanding as to why the "people" allegedly rather Renly than Stannis. From what the series has said so far, Stannis is too much of a rigid soldier and doesn't have a talent for public speaking or political savvy... I can see why that wouldn't make him popular, but I don't see why people [I[dislike[/I] him, especially considering his track record
Owlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 23:51   Link #1055
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
One key point on Stannis vs Renly is actually Robert's fault.

Stannis did some MAJOR sacrifice for Robert during the war, including eatting rats and leather for a YEAR rather than surrender because it is his DUTY. He also crushed Balon and the Iron Island for Robert as well.

What does Robert do? Named Stannis Master of Ships and Lord of DRAGONSTONE, rather than Lord of STORMLANDS (As his right).

Why Dragonstone? Because traditionally, it is the post held by the next-in-line to the Iron Throne (If Robert die without heir). However, once Robert had Joffery (yes, we know is Jamie's). Stannis's position became worthless.

So what is goodwill by Robert turned into Stannis's fury...and Renly? He ended up with the stormland/Tyrell instead, much to Stannis's chargin.
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 02:58   Link #1056
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Well thanks for putting things in perspective. I haven't read the books so I don't exactly know what has been done "wrong" per sae, but I enjoy his character so far. My only compalint is that he isn't given much screen time, and seems too easy for Melisandre to manipulate. But still a solid character though.
Stannis is more prominent in the TV show than he is in the book. The book doesn't have all the private scenes between Melisandre and him. Their relationship is a lot more complex than simply Melisandre betraying Stannis though (although this is exactly what it seems like from Davos' point of view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Agreed. I'm a big fan of Tywin as well, it would've been great to have seen them fight at kings landing, or any kind of confrontation really. I liked when Tywin put Joffery in his place in a subtle and eleganat way, but it left me wanting more. I was hoping he'd have done something more, especially considering the way Tyrion used to smack Joffery around when he got out of hand. Seeing Tyrion go that far had me in suspense of what Tywin would do, but it turned out to be less than I expected.
The way that Tywin works is that he never does anything himself - he always leaves the dirty work to his subordinates. It's one of the reasons why he seems so competent and in control. However, he's a terrible parent, so there shouldn't be any expectation that he would be able to teach Joffrey anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
I didn't read the books so I know next to nothing of his character. I would like to get a better understanding as to why the "people" allegedly rather Renly than Stannis. From what the series has said so far, Stannis is too much of a rigid soldier and doesn't have a talent for public speaking or political savvy...
Renly is more well-liked than Stannis because he's handsome, genial and friendly while his brother is more of a cold fish. However, what really counts are his connections. Renly was lord of the Stormlands (the Baratheon kingdom) and he was a friend to Loras - son of the lord of the Reach. That's two kingdoms in his pocket while Stannis only had a small island to draw support from. Stannis' combat record simply doesn't count for much.

I think that the biggest problem that the TV audience has with the show is that the show never said enough about Robert's Rebellion and how this war shaped just about every event in the story. The passage of time and the distance between locations don't come across very well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
I can see why that wouldn't make him popular, but I don't see why people [I[dislike[/I] him, especially considering his track record
Stannis is too harsh and unyielding. He also isn't the type to be friendly with.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 05:14   Link #1057
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I feel I shouldn't wade into this, but here goes. What I think the TV series never really got about Stannis is that his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He was always someone who placed duty and the proper order of things above else - in a sense, you could call him an idealist for that. It made him be seen as rigid and unyielding - which in truth he is - but there's a real integrity to the man, which is why Davos (who I think most would agree is one of the truly decent people in a cast without many of them) is so loyal to him.

For me at least, the TV Stannis never really projected that tireless sense of duty and ethical purity - he's just a dour old curmudgeon who's too willing to compromise his ideals to further his goals. This issue of compromising on some things in order to play the long game is something that's an essential part of Stannis' arc - that struggle really defines who he is. And I don't think the TV series gets that point across very well.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2013-11-09 at 08:17.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 13:36   Link #1058
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Um yea, a little heads up. Girls do that with their BFF's too. It's not gay to them. XD So I don't see how you're dumbstruck about it. @_@
They have cause SanYa shippers to go wild.

Anyway, Good King Joffrey.... I mean Good Guy Jack Gleeson visits Haiti for Charity.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 14:03   Link #1059
Artful Dodger
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

It's not a momentary weakness - the "fires are burning low" refers to Stannis' general state.
Hm, I didn't think Stannis was that old; his character in the series doesn't look that aged. I guess being intimate with Melisandre really takes alot out of the poor guy lol
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 00:30   Link #1060
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Hm, I didn't think Stannis was that old; his character in the series doesn't look that aged. I guess being intimate with Melisandre really takes alot out of the poor guy lol
It's not age. I don't know if this has been explained in the show yet (although you should be able to read between the lines).
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
game of thrones, hbo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.