AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2013-06-28, 14:32   Link #1621
R.LocK
My turn

Such a right arm would be a nightmare for a writer. What makes Imagine Breaker a nice, not really boring ability is how it is used by Touma. Pray, tell me, how that right arm could be used in not so OP-ish ways by an OC?
Kamachi might make such a ridiculous ability work by adjusting it a little and creating some major restrictions. Your usual fanfiction writer, unless s/he is an able writer with as clear as it is possible understanding of mechanics of supernatural abilities, cannot.

Basically, what I want to say in Tl;Dr way is that right hand is OP, might be interesting but not quite, and it really depends on its usage and restrictions such a power should have. Also... I'd say that Fiamma's Holy Right works well enough.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 19:24   Link #1622
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

I think the problem is this line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
The ability to disfigure someone jsut by touching them or even warping the world without really trying. If Imagine Breaker is the arm which contains the blue print of the original world. This other power has a blue print of the original world and makes everything that's not supposed to be in the blue print happen.
A better way to say it is that to turn things from this world, into THAT world. And only that world.

However, what is this world, and what is that world? Too much ambiguity makes it easy to abuse.

Another option is to make it like Elizabeth's power (Bioshock) and bring 'things' into this world, but are unstable and wouldn't last long before collapsing.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 21:45   Link #1623
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Not sure who alfar is but sure?

Basically it's the absolute crystallization of magic. Unlike Magic gods that have access to all possibilities. The arm has all possibilities outside of the realm of possibility.

The ability to disfigure someone jsut by touching them or even warping the world without really trying. If Imagine Breaker is the arm which contains the blue print of the original world. This other power has a blue print of the original world and makes everything that's not supposed to be in the blue print happen.
This gives me an idea. With good enough restrictions, this would be interesting I think others are being too harsh about this. This is a very interesting idea.
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 10:27   Link #1624
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I originally thought of the ability as the complete opposite of imagine breaker in a way that made it seem underpowered on its own. It's original ability is ensuring a spell's successful activation. The ability to undo events is based on warping concepts. A bullet is thought of as a high velocity projectile that hurts on impact. But once the concept is warped, that warped concept carries on to the physical plane so the effect of the bullet is modified as well. How it works I'm not sure yet though. Maybe use the idea of pulling an alternate reality? By overlapping the fabric of a reality with a different set of rules and overlapping it with the current reality.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 18:01   Link #1625
lazydoggamer
Lazy and I know it

So here's my crack theory on #6(Aogami)'s power. His ability is Unlimited Anime Works. How it works is he's so obsessed with anime he can no longer distinguish anime from reality and so he can make things that could only happen in anime real. Why does no one remember him? Because he makes the world follow an anime cliche where there's the one mysterious member of group who isn't revealed until much later.

Lol I just thought of a chant for it too

I am the watcher of anime

Shonen is my body and shoujo is my blood

I have watched over a thousand Animes

Unknown to exercise, nor known to productiveness

Have withstood many all nighters to finish many seasons

Yet, I shall never be satisfied

So as I pray, Unlimted Anime Works

Last edited by lazydoggamer; 2013-06-30 at 18:46.
lazydoggamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 18:42   Link #1626
dniv

Here's Aogami's power: It's predicting the future and seeing the past. He can do this in the light novels whenever he points out Touma's misfortune

He can therefore avoid all strikes by having pre-cognition similarly, but gets distracted when thinking about girls.

No one would believe him if he said he was #6. It's probably kept a secret to save face. The #6 is never anywhere because he's always being stopped by judgement like a ton of times during the year so no one can ever find him because he's messing around

Maybe he has a split-personality. Weakling 1/2 of the time, badass 1/2 of the time.

Old 2013-07-05, 17:50   Link #1627
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Aogami's hidden special skill/talent is to draw Vanilla Doujins that involves Touma and a certain girl(s)
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 06:54   Link #1628
Doc Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
However, if magicians and scientists actually worked together: you could magic to kind of infinitely power scientific inventions, right? Or you could use magic+science to accomplish feats that either one can't do by itself.

Why don't both sides generally work together? I am actually pretty confused about this. If you are going to say that it's because both sides don't want to work together and hate each other then don't answer this question. I want an answer to this part of the question from someone who has at least read all of OT and some of NT: they would understand why I am saying this and why this isn't that simple of a question.
There are multiple reasons:

1. Index explained in the first novel, that magicans don't like to share their secrets, because it would be the equal to give your enemies a weapon against you. There is simply no reason to trust the other side.

2. The basic point of view is very different:

Maybe you know this question: If a tree falls down in a forest and no one is there to hear or see it, did that event actually happened?

A magican would say no.

A scientist would say yes.

Magic in To Aru moves the human or at least human like divine beings in the center of the universe. Science however tries to take the factor human out of the equation.

A magicans like for example Fiamma or Othinius try to become the mystical being they shaped their powers after. The science in Academy City however goes on to recreate the powers of their strongest esper artifically, like for example...

Spoiler:

And finally...

Spoiler:

About the power of the #6:

Maybe that guy, who appeared in NT7 was actually the #6, but...

His power allows him to be completely unnoticed, EVEN TO THE READERS! Whenever he does something, that draws attention to him, his power arranges an event that will lower suspicions about him. That's why he is the #6. You can explain his power somewhat, but it makes him completely uninteresting for any kind of research.
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 09:34   Link #1629
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

My impression is that Magicians look backwards for power, like how all ancient magic and original weapons are the most powerful to them.

While Scientists look forward for power, like how they're always advancing their technology and making things better and more powerful.

To restate what I've said before- We already have Kihara Kagun who was a former Scientist turned Magician, and we also have the incident with Trident and Gremlin joining forces.

So yes it can be done, but the reason why they don't share their knowledge with each other is very simple- Politics.
Old 2013-07-09, 10:05   Link #1630
demino_hellsin
That one guy

actually its even more basic than that. ESPers are gifted. Mages are the non-gifted that worked for their power. Science bolsters espers/the talented. The magicians are only untalented people except for saints. This has been reiterated multiple times. What it comes down to is human nature. Why should the skilled seek aid from the unskilled? Why should those laymen offer their hard-earned powers to the gifted?

It's just human nature. If you can't even grasp that then I just don't know anymore.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 10:59   Link #1631
hamazura
Huskar is for NOOBS

I wonder is there any item/weapon represent highest rank of angels : seraphim, cherubim and orphanim?
Curtana power is insane, its make knight leader like a noob, and thus make kanzaki who pwned super easily by knight leader like a baby
And gabriel is even crazier.
Ask this because curtana really exist (well, kamachi said so -_- )
hamazura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 06:59   Link #1632
dniv

I have a quick question about Aleister:

Spoiler for Light Novel 22 fairly big spoiler:
Old 2013-07-10, 08:44   Link #1633
LazyHunter

Quote:
I have a quick question about Aleister:

Spoiler for Light Novel 22 fairly big spoiler:
I think he has, or something similar to it. He definitely was both in the Windowless Building and in Russia atacking Fiamma.
Quote:
“You’re…I see…but there is an inconsistency in that theory. It does not explain why you are here.”

“There is nothing strange about that.” The magician who should by all rights be inside the windowless building in the center of Academy City responded as if that should be obvious. “The woman named Anna Sprengel was said to have carried out the role of the Secret Chief and of a point of contact and to have helped in the foundation of the Golden cabal, but in the end, it was said to be dubious whether she even truly existed. …I too functioned as the point of contact for Aiwass who is one of the theories of the Secret Chief. To be honest, I do not think that is the exaggerated and much too serious role in charge of things like giving permission for the foundation of all the magic cabals in the world. In fact, I do not think there is any need to get permission for such a thing. But, well, I am the same type of existence as Anna was said to be. As such, it should not be too surprising to think that I have surpassed the realm of only being expressible as 0 or 1.”

Even then, Aleister Crowley still existed in the center of Academy City.

But at the same time, Aleister Crowley existed before Fiamma.

Multiple versions of him such as a clone did not exist.

It was just that the single one of him existed in multiple locations.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 21:21   Link #1634
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

People might want to wiki "Anna Sprengel" as well.
Old 2013-07-13, 20:44   Link #1635
Gray Servant

Has anyone else thought about the idea that since an esper's power comes from their personal reality, you could probably extrapolate some interesting things about the Esper from what it is?

For example, Accelerator's ability to control all vectors probably comes from his desire to have control over the direction of his life, since I think it's heavily implied he was a child error and had no control.

Kakine's ability probably comes from wanting new options or something like that. We don't really know alot about his past.

Misaka's I can't really guess on. Maybe a desire to be connected to everything around her? She does form some pretty serious personal connections rather quickly.

Mugino's is just pure destructive power and probably comes from her inherent aggressiveness.

Misaki's is pretty easy to extrapolate from, wanting control over other people and knowing their plans and thoughts. She refused to trust Misaka since she can't read her mind, showing some pretty heavy paranoia.

Gunha I have no clue.

(Further analysis would be cool, I might try more on other espers later)

Last edited by Gray Servant; 2013-07-13 at 20:46. Reason: Minor fix
Gray Servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 03:32   Link #1636
dniv

@Doc very interesting opinions. I agree with pretty much all of them, but let me give my take as well in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Servant View Post
Has anyone else thought about the idea that since an esper's power comes from their personal reality, you could probably extrapolate some interesting things about the Esper from what it is?

For example, Accelerator's ability to control all vectors probably comes from his desire to have control over the direction of his life, since I think it's heavily implied he was a child error and had no control.

Kakine's ability probably comes from wanting new options or something like that. We don't really know alot about his past.

Misaka's I can't really guess on. Maybe a desire to be connected to everything around her? She does form some pretty serious personal connections rather quickly.

Mugino's is just pure destructive power and probably comes from her inherent aggressiveness.

Misaki's is pretty easy to extrapolate from, wanting control over other people and knowing their plans and thoughts. She refused to trust Misaka since she can't read her mind, showing some pretty heavy paranoia.

Gunha I have no clue.

(Further analysis would be cool, I might try more on other espers later)
Gunha is certainly guts:
Spoiler for ollerus talking:
so he probably needed to overcome people thinking he was weird as heck because he could use his power outside of the city so he uses guts. Maybe.

Anyway, I think Magicians make their power work via several different means. They focus either on natural inherited power (you know who) or on regular magician's powers that are similar to personal reality because they are embodied by a magic name and outline that person's ideals and goals.

Spoiler for how personal reality works:

With this personal reality, I first thought that the more skewed a person's views were the better. I identified a stronger personality with stronger powers (something commonly seen in this series). Then @Doc what you said in one of your spoilers came into play and I realized that the science side really doesn't care. I was surprised, because it was subverting the trend that I had foreseen. I had thought both sides were similar at that point.

Anyway, I think magic and esper powers are two different formulations of the energy that fills people. They probably are both forms of life energy (maybe)... This is because esper powers do sap your personal reality. Magic and Esper abilities are two types of powers that work in different ways. They both have their own respective power fields.

Magic and Esper abilities work by having their users creating meaning in the form of their powers which appear in the real world in the way that they manipulate their respective willpower. This creation fundamentally changes the world, by affecting it from its natural state.

In contrast
Spoiler for why IB probably works:

That's how I see the three different types of powers at work here.

The reason I think both could be used simultaneously though is actually simple. You don't need to pick one perspective. You can just have both.
Spoiler for volume 22:
Old 2013-07-14, 09:35   Link #1637
hamazura
Huskar is for NOOBS

^
"Dissociative identity disorder" anyone?
Old 2013-07-14, 14:35   Link #1638
dniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
^
"Dissociative identity disorder" anyone?
Yes,
Spoiler for gender:
is like that
Old 2013-07-14, 15:29   Link #1639
hamazura
Huskar is for NOOBS

Quote:
Yes,
Spoiler for gender:
is like that
Huh? Who? Sorry tl;dr
Old 2013-07-14, 18:17   Link #1640
dniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
Huh? Who? Sorry tl;dr
Well, I just noticed this. It's actually pretty funny lol... AC is. not Academy City. AC...

Tags
hard science, magic