AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2013-10-11, 08:02   Link #1761
Deemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
For the most constructive criticism I have on using proton based abilities? Either you should have rudimentary theoretical knowledge of chemistry, sub-atomic physics or substantial research. Else, just forget about it.

All fictions has a right to be an ass in some respects because people who post on this board have done a lo of research, allfiction himself practices copious research. The way deemark comes in half-assed and expecting respect is already, in a way, being an ass to allfictions. Just sayin'
Thats why i posted here because I'm not a science savvy enough as most people here. If you know a little about the subject you probably wont understand most of the stuff from the internet about it. Thats exactly how i am, he does have a right to be a asshole, but coming off like the way he did makes you sound condescending, but there was some helpful stuff in there
Deemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 09:00   Link #1762
Deemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenHero View Post
The two powers you describe are so vague to the point that they would allow the character to practically do anything. An almighty character is not inherently bad, but it is very easy to screw up writing one due to how difficult it is to introduce anything that can challenge them. Placing limitations is a good way to trim incredibly powerful abilities. Making physical contact a requirement or defining what materials they can enact their power on are good ones.

Out of curiosity, what exactly inspired you to choose those two powers for your character?
Well i tryed thinking about a power that can be explained by Science. Earlier theres someone who said a satellite beam cannon could be proton based and the editing molecules came mostly with a mindset of changing elements in to others by subracting or adding like creating iron from the air or breaking down the carbon dioxide into carbon to make use of it or some similar element. The latter does seem kind of op looking back

Last edited by Deemark; 2013-10-11 at 09:48.
Old 2013-10-11, 09:07   Link #1763
demino_hellsin
That one guy

what do you want to achieve with your proton based powers anyway? That's very important.

For example, the Proton based power I thought up is called corrosion charge. Because all matter has a positive and negative charge on an atomic scale, they bond and ionize as they try to become neutral or neither positive no negative. What the ability does is it increases the positive charge of a free proton and attract negative/electron rich atoms from other structures. You can see this in electro chemistry as positive/free ions in the solutions break down solid metal atoms in the metal electrodes causing a corrosion effect on the metal. Though opposite can also occur when free free ions start sticking to the solid metal.

narrow down your idea first.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 10:21   Link #1764
BossKagaxx
Shrouded in mystery...

Actually there are lots of proton based powers that can be thought of. The thing is we need to be more specific. The first thing to do is think/research an actual scientific concept based on proton/any particle, scientific phenomena, etc then from that you can expand your imaginative ideas.

Example, since protons are the identity of an element itself, based on that concept you can think of an ability that can manipulate the amount of protons in any matter. This implies that you can change the actual property of any matter like for example turning gold into iron, etc.

Another example, protons are massive and are made up of quarks and energy. The rest mass of quarks only contribute to 1% of the protons actual mass which means 99% of its mass is made up of energy that is used to bind the quarks. From that concept, if you are able to separate the quarks of a proton, you can release an immense amount of energy and use that energy for offense.

There are a lot of others you can think of. The key is, think of a scientific concept/principle then expand it.
BossKagaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 10:36   Link #1765
Deemark

Quote:
what do you want to achieve with your proton based powers anyway? That's very important.

For example, the Proton based power I thought up is called corrosion charge. Because all matter has a positive and negative charge on an atomic scale, they bond and ionize as they try to become neutral or neither positive no negative. What the ability does is it increases the positive charge of a free proton and attract negative/electron rich atoms from other structures. You can see this in electro chemistry as positive/free ions in the solutions break down solid metal atoms in the metal electrodes causing a corrosion effect on the metal. Though opposite can also occur when free free ions start sticking to the solid metal.

narrow down your idea first.
I guess i kinda want him to be able to use it like a charged particle beam or someway to release protons energy and be able to direct it not just a explosion,but im trying to come up on reasoning on how it works. So far im thinking of him using free protons to ionize hydrogen and and so on and so forth so he can make the particle beam or something like that. Thats all i got so far.

Last edited by Deemark; 2013-10-11 at 15:22.
Old 2013-10-11, 14:14   Link #1766
desrtsku
HNNNNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemark View Post
So far im thinking of him using free protons to ionize hydrogen so he can make the particle beam or something like that.
Quote:
using free protons to ionize hydrogen
... .... what?
Old 2013-10-11, 15:20   Link #1767
Deemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
... .... what?
I really havent figured out more than that because the wiki dosent give a half way decent explanation/ leaves alot of the parts of it out so i couldnt help to draw a blank when i wrote it

Last edited by Deemark; 2013-10-11 at 16:29. Reason: To fix a misunderstanding
Old 2013-10-11, 16:12   Link #1768
desrtsku
HNNNNG

No, I'm not asking for a complete explanation. A basic one is enough as long as it makes sense. Because what's written above sounded like total BS to me ... total BS as in "what I learned from high school is that ionized hydrogen (H+) is basically proton." or something like that.
Old 2013-10-11, 19:30   Link #1769
demino_hellsin
That one guy

There are a lot of sources besides wiki. Much more precise snd easier to understand explanations too.
Old 2013-10-11, 22:37   Link #1770
BossKagaxx
Shrouded in mystery...

LoL. Ions are a result for having either more protons than electrons or vice versa. So you either have + ion or - ion. Also, ions are either ATOMS or MOLECULES while a proton is a SUB-ATOMIC PARTICLE. I don't know where the hell did a proton = ion came from.
Old 2013-10-12, 03:06   Link #1771
desrtsku
HNNNNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossKagaxx View Post
Also, ions are either ATOMS or MOLECULES while a proton is a SUB-ATOMIC PARTICLE. I don't know where the hell did a proton = ion came from.
Really? It's highschool level stuffs. Just how many protons, neutrons and electrons does the smallest hydrogen isotope have? 1-0-1 respectively. Then, remove an electron to get its cation, and what you have left is a single proton.
Really, I don't know if there's a difference between an actual proton and the hydrogen's cation, but that's what I learned in High school and I'm gonna stick with it unless someone explains it.
Old 2013-10-12, 04:06   Link #1772
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossKagaxx View Post
LoL. Ions are a result for having either more protons than electrons or vice versa. So you either have + ion or - ion. Also, ions are either ATOMS or MOLECULES while a proton is a SUB-ATOMIC PARTICLE. I don't know where the hell did a proton = ion came from.
I was kinda confused about that myself. Result of sleeping through half my classes. Thanks.

Well anyway, if by anything, he probably just wants a similar ability to Mugino's Meltdowner. Problem is Mugino's meltdowner breaks down more than just matter I think. A proton cannon would be less effective/thorough than the electron cannon right?
Old 2013-10-12, 10:50   Link #1773
Deemark

Quote:
I was kinda confused about that myself. Result of sleeping through half my classes. Thanks.

Well anyway, if by anything, he probably just wants a similar ability to Mugino's Meltdowner. Problem is Mugino's meltdowner breaks down more than just matter I think. A proton cannon would be less effective/thorough than the electron cannon right?
Yea thats kinda what i was thinking something beam like ( but im gonna give him a different way of using it than mugino i dont want it to just be a powered down mugino) but i know that it wouldnt be all that effective as meltdowner.due to the way protons work and how differ from electrons.

Last edited by Deemark; 2013-10-12 at 16:03.
Old 2013-10-12, 22:12   Link #1774
Hiss13
Perverted Submarine 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemark View Post
So far im thinking of him using free protons to ionize hydrogen and and so on and so forth so he can make the particle beam or something like that. Thats all i got so far.
Let me just point out that protons are already the ionized form of hydrogen. In organic chemistry, protons are written in reaction mechanisms as H+ because they are literally hydrogen atoms without electrons (aka ionized hydrogen). Not to mention that protons are only found as free protons in solution. You can't just find a free proton in the atmosphere that easily. Unless it is in solution, it is generally found as part of a nucleus and unless you can surmise a way to counteract strong nuclear force, it's pretty impossible.
Old 2013-10-12, 22:55   Link #1775
Deemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Let me just point out that protons are already the ionized form of hydrogen. In organic chemistry, protons are written in reaction mechanisms as H+ because they are literally hydrogen atoms without electrons (aka ionized hydrogen). Not to mention that protons are only found as free protons in solution. You can't just find a free proton in the atmosphere that easily. Unless it is in solution, it is generally found as part of a nucleus and unless you can surmise a way to counteract strong nuclear force, it's pretty impossible.
i give up. Dealing with elementary particles are too complecated. Kazuma kamachi must of been a genius or done a shit ton of research before coming up with these powers for these espers and made them make sense on a scientific level

Last edited by Deemark; 2013-10-13 at 20:37.
Old 2013-10-14, 20:13   Link #1776
Marina2

How did Miksaka Mikoto's cellphone still function after all electric she released when she fight?
Old 2013-10-14, 20:19   Link #1777
demino_hellsin
That one guy

subconscious control of electron flow? It's possible mama Misuzu had quite the problem with appliances with little Mikoto playing around.
Old 2013-10-16, 09:30   Link #1778
BossKagaxx
Shrouded in mystery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Really? It's highschool level stuffs. Just how many protons, neutrons and electrons does the smallest hydrogen isotope have? 1-0-1 respectively. Then, remove an electron to get its cation, and what you have left is a single proton.
Really, I don't know if there's a difference between an actual proton and the hydrogen's cation, but that's what I learned in High school and I'm gonna stick with it unless someone explains it.
Sorry, seems I am looking at it from a physics point of view. In chemistry H+ ion is called a "proton" due to naming "pro" which means positive and "ton" which means single and due to the fact that it is similar to an actual proton (sub-atomic particle). In physics, free protons (sub-atomic particle) are usually found in cosmic rays.

Last edited by BossKagaxx; 2013-10-16 at 09:45.
Old 2013-12-13, 15:55   Link #1779
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

I've heard an opinion that teleportation is more difficult ability than vector change and either Kuroko and Awaki process more difficult calculations and just more calculations than Accel. They even stated that Accel is not the smartest mathematic because of that.
And another opinion, they said that Mikoto's calculation ability is a lot stronger than all of her sister's put together. They said it was stated in the novels and because of that she is not far from Accel's smartness and calculation ability. They said if Accel was a teleporter he would be much weaker because he would be forced to proceed more calculations.
But I always thought that Accel has a superbrain and far away from any other esper because of his unique superior computing ability. And his ability is not easier than teleportation. I was sure it was even more difficult in many cases.
I didn't know that Mikoto surpasses all sister's computing power either. Does it really make her close to Accel's brain power?
Really, how coud they even compare any other esper's computing ability with the number one's computing ability. All mentioned by me espers here sure are smart but I doubt they can have even a half from Accel's original computing ability.
Old 2013-12-13, 17:27   Link #1780
tsunade666

Where did you hear those?

oh forget it.

it might be from mikoto faggots

ignore them

it just make me laugh

Mikoto calculation ability stronger than 20 000 brains together LOL laughs

that's a good one. i need that to make me stay awake so I can finish my work.

Accelerator not the smartest?

I'm not sure if being the smartest is equal to have the fastest processing calculating speed but Accelerator is called NUMBER 1 for a reason.

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard science, magic