AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-28, 18:39   Link #1441
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for ep8:

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 18:44   Link #1442
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Spoiler for ep8:
I am pretty sure it's the King of the Night. I mean it's the same voice as the one that possessed Kyoko in ep 6.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 18:46   Link #1443
carcanclaw
Kitty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
Ayumu and Yuki's interaction is pleasant to follow. He is more forthcomming. It helps when he isn't treated as punchbag, slave or aim.
I agree, Yuki and Yuu at least have some respect for him. Episode 8 reached nearly unbearable levels of Ayumu-abuse, I was seriously put off by it.

What's with this belief that guys being unfairly beaten by girls is funny? Is it for our benefit, because it puts the girl in a position of power? It feels like anime as a whole likes to pander to us by making all the men powerless punching bags.

It just seems so ridiculous. I get that Ayumu is a wimpy masochist, whether he admits it or not, but that doesn't justify him being the only character who ever gets any slapstick treatment.

I'd love to see Haruna get hurt more for comedic effect. She seems like a MUCH more appropriate and deserving target.

(The reoccurring two old ladies, however, were the best part of Ep. 8)
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 18:50   Link #1444
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
I'd love to see Haruna get hurt more for comedic effect. She seems like a MUCH more appropriate and deserving target.
But comedy comes from the subverting of expectations. Saying a character "deserves" it seems less comedic and more just mean.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 19:17   Link #1445
blitz1/2

Quote:
I agree, Yuki and Yuu at least have some respect for him. Episode 8 reached nearly unbearable levels of Ayumu-abuse, I was seriously put off by it.

What's with this belief that guys being unfairly beaten by girls is funny? Is it for our benefit, because it puts the girl in a position of power? It feels like anime as a whole likes to pander to us by making all the men powerless punching bags.

It just seems so ridiculous. I get that Ayumu is a wimpy masochist, whether he admits it or not, but that doesn't justify him being the only character who ever gets any slapstick treatment.

(The reoccurring two old ladies, however, were the best part of Ep. 8)
I can hardly say that Ayumu is a M, because he clearly dislikes the pain. Even crying a waterfall (somewhat) when verbally abused. He is nowhere a M like Tarou.
@kitty: I agree, we really need some Haruna abuse/violence to even up the odds. >: )
Old 2011-02-28, 19:20   Link #1446
carcanclaw
Kitty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
But comedy comes from the subverting of expectations. Saying a character "deserves" it seems less comedic and more just mean.
Except that almost every anime since Love Hina has taken the male punching bag approach, so we expect characters like Ayumu to get abused constantly.

If they really wanted to subvert expectations, they'd have more slapstick involving Yuki and Yuu, but THAT just seems mean. Watching Haruna get victimized from time to time would be funny because her personality type doesn't lend itself to sympathy very well. She's so bratty that her misfortune is humorous.

Of course, there's very little dry, slapstick humor involving women in fiction. Authors have always preferred humiliating women in sexualized ways, like making their clothing disappear or having another character grab their boobs.

Ayumu could at least poke her in the eyes 3 Stooges style. >_>
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 19:26   Link #1447
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Except that almost every anime since Love Hina has taken the male punching bag approach, so we expect characters like Ayumu to get abused constantly.
I can understand what you're saying, but I was speaking from a within the show's universe perspective. Characters who don't expect anything bad to happen to them and either overreact or underreact generate humor. Or are used to it and roll with it. There are many ways for slapstick.

Quote:
Watching Haruna get victimized from time to time would be funny because her personality type doesn't lend itself to sympathy very well. She's so bratty that her misfortune is humorous.
Fair point, but only if it happened because of her own hubris. If it happened with an intent to strike and hurt, that, again, is just mean, no matter who it's happening to. And phrasing it as "abuse" (not referring to yourself, but the poster above you), that speaks more about the person wanting it than the show, I think.
Old 2011-02-28, 19:40   Link #1448
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

hah, that's some cliffhanger it ended on.... this whole week is goin to feel long now....
Old 2011-02-28, 19:47   Link #1449
doomknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Well, I hope at this rate, maybe the "embrace/hug" would be adapted as well. Please do! Ok, I am officially calling her Yuki, it's simply doing her justice.

I also like the piano piece that accompanies Yuki, because it kind of describes the sadness of the one-sided love. Let's hope that Ayumu starts to appreciate Yuki some more.
Oh you mean the one posted in Light Novel? Yeah that would be cool.. and really he should appreacite her more.. she is giving her all so he can accept her as a wife.Yes the piano kind of describes sadness..

Quote:
That's why the best couple in this is YxYxY

yukiXAyumuXYu/Eu
Hahaha a threesome? Well i think Yu fits more like a little sister role... but it can be accepted . But YukixAyumu is enough for me .

Quote:

If they really wanted to subvert expectations, they'd have more slapstick involving Yuki and Yuu, but THAT just seems mean. Watching Haruna get victimized from time to time would be funny because her personality type doesn't lend itself to sympathy very well. She's so bratty that her misfortune is humorous.

Of course, there's very little dry, slapstick humor involving women in fiction. Authors have always preferred humiliating women in sexualized ways, like making their clothing disappear or having another character grab their boobs.

Ayumu could at least poke her in the eyes 3 Stooges style. >_>
Well he could payback the beating of this chapter but that wont happen nor would be manly ... although he could blow off that fang of hers at least.. Its annoying see the guy get beat up for nothing...
doomknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 19:47   Link #1450
blitz1/2

@Midonin: Please...we have more than enough of Ayumu abuse, and most of it was mostly uncalled for or for some messed up reasons.
Old 2011-02-28, 19:55   Link #1451
Midonin
Last Engage

It's comedy, not justice. Treating it like some "pay evil unto evil" tool seems misguided.
Old 2011-02-28, 20:22   Link #1452
Kuusou Naku
Sky of Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Spoiler for ep8:
+1000
I want Ayumu xYuki too!

And yes, he is the Dark knight
In his part-time job... yeah... Fucking crisis...
Kuusou Naku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 20:28   Link #1453
Blanchimont

Probably just me but the beginning seconds of episode 8 gave some serious SoraOto vibes, even wondered if HS had trolled for a moment ...
Blanchimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 20:32   Link #1454
Dahak86
Occasional Member

another very funny and fanservish episode.

as always, only BD-quality will render justice to it. as exemplified by the "stitches"... =>

Spoiler for ep8:

Quote:
Hmm, correction: anime as a whole tend to pander to us/(otakus) by showing us: cute girls, MOE, and fanservice.
a girl wants to beat MC for no-reason? I'd say, let her... as long as she provides some good laughs or fanservice while doing that, I really don't see a problem with it.

yeah, in poor Ayumu's case, it is mostly unjustified; but it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Quote:
Authors have always preferred humiliating women in sexualized ways, like making their clothing disappear or having another character grab their boobs.
I wouldn't really say "humiliating" but, oh well... if that's your line of thought.
besides, isn't that what guys/men want to see? ... so, no surprise there.
Dahak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 20:36   Link #1455
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

Quote:
I am pretty sure it's the King of the Night. I mean it's the same voice as the one that possessed Kyoko in ep 6.
i thought it was the previous zombie before Ayumu...

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 20:47   Link #1456
D-Gold
Archangelic Iron Beast

Yuki was so cute this episode. Unfortunately she won't be moving in.

Looks like were getting back to the action next episode. why did that dark king have to take yu?(assuming thats what he did) He already has Kyoko. Is he trying to build his own harem?
Old 2011-02-28, 21:02   Link #1457
n120cky

WTH Sera not wearing a skirt ????

Spoiler for -:
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 21:13   Link #1458
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Hey hey, what happened to distinguishing fantasy from reality

This is a show about zombies, magic equipping girls, vampire ninja, necromancers, and demonic sea-life, &c; playing with common contemporary troupes... not political/sociological propaganda over what we should think

By the way, what was the disrespectful sauce Tomonori tried adding into her gyu-don?

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-02-28 at 21:35. Reason: oops! it was gyu-don, not gyuu-udon, which is much tastier
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 21:28   Link #1459
doomknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
WTH Sera not wearing a skirt ????

Spoiler for -:
Holy... i just realize that now that i see it again....
doomknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 21:48   Link #1460
blitz1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
It's comedy, not justice. Treating it like some "pay evil unto evil" tool seems misguided.
So it's comedy when Ayumu gets hit and abused, but it's not when same goes to Haruna? -_-

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen