AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2011-07-29, 13:14   Link #741
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
3DS to be sold @ a loss which is something Nintendo don't do period
Wrong. The NES was sold at a loss when it first came out in NA (don't recall if that was true of the Famicom). Also, when they dropped Gamecube to $99, its manufacturing costs was still high enough that it sold at a loss for a time.

Quote:
Less than stellar sells.
So you consider 3DS hardware and software sales to be horribly worse than sales of the original DS' hardware and software sales in the same time period (starting from their launches)? I'm just curious, actually, since your tone makes it sound like it's on the level of Virtual Boy and that this is going to kill the company.

Last edited by Angelic Cross; 2011-07-29 at 22:27.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 13:26   Link #742
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

I'm most certainly waiting on a larger, more appealing library of games as well as a pricetag of <$130 (ebay). The former being the bigger reason actually.
Old 2011-07-29, 14:24   Link #743
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
On another note, as I also said earlier, I am sick of the news media trying to spin it as a victory to smart phones and ipad. It is getting so bad that I might have to punch someone if they say something like that to me. 3DS has problems, that's why it didn't sell. It has nothing to do with Angry Birds. Yet I get that kind of rubbish argument everywhere online.
I forgot to address this earlier, but yeah, you're right, it's a crappy argument. The fact that the DS sold 386000 in NA in this month alone, with no new software accompanying it disproves the argument.
Old 2011-07-29, 14:30   Link #744
Reikokuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I'm most certainly waiting on a larger, more appealing library of games as well as a pricetag of <$130 (ebay). The former being the bigger reason actually.
Same for me. Nothing seems to appeal me since it look's like they just bring the oldies back with some fixed elements.
Old 2011-07-29, 15:57   Link #745
Sides

Never occurred to me, but some people actually think that the 3DS is a DS with a 3D screen, meaning that 3DS games will run on a DS.
I just noticed it now seeing the latest UK ad for the 3DS, which kind of highlights that it is in fact a different handheld

New 3DS UK ad link
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 10:04   Link #746
poisui

The price drop definitely makes the 3DS more feasible for me to buy than ever. This is such a fast price drop; I'm glad that Nintendo is not as stubborn about price drops as Sony.

Unfortunately, I still will not buy a 3DS until the handful of PSP and DS games I have left are beaten. It would help if there were more 3DS games that I want to play too.
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 10:24   Link #747
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I bought a PS3 because I wanted to play FFXII. (Regretted it later when I realised the 2nd half of the game sucked.)
I bought a DSlite followed by a DSi because of DQX. (Yes, both for the same game. I had to get the multiplayer items by having two copies of the game. And also because DSi has better wireless capability.)

I will never buy a game system unless it has a software I want. And since my taste is so fringe, it would take a while. Though as was mentioned earlier, if 3DS open up the online store for classic titles, I just might make the leap.
Old 2011-07-30, 13:58   Link #748
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I haven't seen anyone looking at the bigger picture so far.

The fact is that Nintendo barely did any marketing for the 3DS. Only in Europe did they try to advertise it. Combined with the high price and the lack of must-have titles is very likely to be why the 3DS has had poor sales. It sold even worse in its first month than the PSP did in its first month.

No one mentioned it in this thread, but more and more publishers are cancelling their 3DS line-up. This is likely because of poor sales. Not to mention that there was nothing to look forward to past Christmas in the first place.

Knowing all this, it's no surprise that Nintendo is announcing this price drop. It really is a desperation move.
Old 2011-07-30, 14:17   Link #749
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posutan View Post
The price drop definitely makes the 3DS more feasible for me to buy than ever. This is such a fast price drop; I'm glad that Nintendo is not as stubborn about price drops as Sony.
I think you're complimenting them for the wrong reason... Nintendo is able to drop the price of the 3DS so quickly because the price was inflated, and they even said they purposely inflated the price due to perceived demand... Whereas Sony sold its consoles at a loss to begin with, so of course it would be more difficult to drop the price.
Old 2011-07-30, 16:41   Link #750
Sides

Here to post CM for this game, Mameshiba 3DS game

More infos on it can be found in an older article over on siliconera
Old 2011-07-30, 16:42   Link #751
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Everyone does know that several Nintendo executives took at 50% cut in their own personal paychecks to allow this price drop to occur, right? It definitely is a desperation move before the PSP Vita steals even more sales away, but for that price (plus the new lineup it promises) it might still have a chance.
Old 2011-07-30, 17:00   Link #752
Sides

Handhelds in the west are probably screwed, unless we get more games localised from japan. There is virtually nothing good coming at the moment. It is not just the 3DS that is facing this problem, but the PSVita as well. If you check the vita list almost all of the games are from either form sony's own studios, japanese developers or punished by japanese companies.
I don't think nintendo and sony should give the big western devs/publishers any more favours concerning their handhelds, instead they should focus in getting japanese game localised and help smaller devs, in the west, getting their games published.
Old 2011-07-30, 17:03   Link #753
GDB

It's not to allow the drop to occur, per se. It's to take responsibility, since they also had to slash projected annual profits by 82%. Cut salaries, and income statements aren't hit as hard.

Also, it was only Iwata who took a 50% cut. Other staff only took a 20-30% cut (which is still a respectable amount, mind you).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 21:55   Link #754
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
There is virtually nothing good coming at the moment.
The amusing thing about the to me about the whole situation with the dry release schedule is if you look at the time span the 3DS has been out and compared it to a similar amount of time from the DS' launch, the 3DS has sold more software units than the DS. Looking the Nintendo Q1 2011 report, from its launch in Nov. 21 to March 31, the NDS had a total worldwide sale of 10.49 million units of software, while the 3DS software from the handheld's launch in Feb. 26 to June 31 managed to sell 13.96 million units worldwide. That's kind of surprising.
Old 2011-07-30, 22:00   Link #755
GDB

But weren't like 70% of those sales for the 3DS in its first month? That's the main problem, the drop off was far too fast, and was getting worse as time progressed.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 00:01   Link #756
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But weren't like 70% of those sales for the 3DS in its first month? That's the main problem, the drop off was far too fast, and was getting worse as time progressed.
Yup, but if you look at the launch January-June months of the DS, it also had about the same drop-off rate. The DS' first months were in the holiday season, so it managed a bit of momentum. I think the 3DS might have managed to do the same trick if it had been launched in the 2010 holidays. March-September really is an awful launch period for video games.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:29   Link #757
Sides

Paid DLC coming to 3DS and Wii U, read more on andriasang.com. This feature will be made available to devs at the end of the year.

Not surprisingly nintendo themselves won't be using this feature for their own games, basically Iwata thinks that offering paid DLC is like taking the piss out of the consumers and could damage the relationship in long term. This doesn't mean that they won't be offering DLC, it will just be free.
Old 2011-08-01, 15:04   Link #758
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Paid DLC , meh , Nintendo fell into it. Well not surprising as you can see in Wii U line up.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 18:38   Link #759
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Paid DLC , meh , Nintendo fell into it. Well not surprising as you can see in Wii U line up.
They already had paid DLC on the Wii (like ToG).

I wish other companies would learn from Nintendo's viewpoint on paid DLC though.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 03:15   Link #760
Sides

Some rune factory 4 news, read more on andriasang.com.
IIRC neverland co. are beefing up the dating system in this installment. Not sure about release date, but i think it was announced for this year sometime, japanese version that is.

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds