AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-22, 19:57   Link #161
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
has there been any reports on the graphics? I heard one report that said the processor would be comparable to the PS3 and XBOX 360, but even if that is true (I'm a little skeptical) that could be because of the 3d tech they have to use?
The Wii is barely comparable to PS2; how could 3DS possibly hold a candle to Xbox 360 or PS3? Sounds like scratch to me.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 00:31   Link #162
mangatron
Long pantyhose legs <3

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
phone post

Heh. If there was a handheld a year ago with Xbox360 power, it would require us to carry around a Hueg Brick AKA power adapter

One day, yeah. But not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
There's a market for them, they'll stay!
That's true. As a frequent traveler a dedicated Camera is a no-brainer as they have more functions and accessibility of those functions than a phone will ever have. That, and so far I have yet to come across a phone with a short camera activation - shutter snap time inbetween, with the only phone I came across with a 1.5 sec activation - snap time was the Blackberry Pearl, but it's lack of some simple camera functions made it old real fast. There's any consumers like myself who still snap more than 300 pics on a trip, so there's still a market there.

Of course, if it's just heading into town, carrying a camera isn't smart, which is where a phone does somewhat well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Well, phones come and go, and if timed incorrectly...
Considering there's more than 20 smartphones a year, how horrible it would be if there were that many gaming handhelds every year

We're fortunate that there isn't that much competition these days.

Quote:
...does anybody actually remember what an N-Gage was?
Since there's still millions of Nokia users out there (I myself a former user), it should be hard to forget the N-gage

Now since we have some Sony talk in here, the real question should be "who remembers the Mylo?"

boingy boingy boingy
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
-Nisekoi S2 ep 02 avatars!
-*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
-*Feel My Birthday 2015
-*RIP my last Hermit Crab, 2011-2015
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 11:13   Link #163
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
I never once said I want dedicated devices to disappear.
I didn't say you did. But with all the demand for multi-purpose devices, I fear they may disappear eventually.
Quote:
After makeup, wallet, checkbook, change, cigarettes, lighter, keys... there's not a lot of room left. One device is about all I can fit in there.
Throw out the make-up, the cigarettes and the lighter. You don't need those, and you'll have more space.

Personally I use a small backpack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari
The Wii is barely comparable to PS2
Stop spreading lies. The Wii is much more powerful than a PS2 (which was the weakest console of the previous generation).
Old 2010-06-24, 01:34   Link #164
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Stop spreading lies. The Wii is much more powerful than a PS2 (which was the weakest console of the previous generation).
You telling me PS2 was weaker than Gamecube? Really now?

Yes Wii is stronger than PS2, but not much more, compared to how much PS3 and Xbox Full Circle improved on the last generation. Wii's got super motion sensor stuff, but that's about it. Unless you count having a casual gamer-friendly design as a total plus for everyone.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 02:29   Link #165
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
The Gamecube had a 486 MHz CPU, while the PS2 had a 295 MHz CPU (299 MHz in the newer models). The Gamecube had a 162 MHz graphics processor while the PS2 had a 143 MHz one. The Gamecube's overall RAM was 43 MB, while the PS2 had 36 MB. The Gamecube is a more powerful piece of hardware than the PS2. You'd have to be delusional to deny that. Or some kind of insane lunatic fanboy.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 07:30   Link #166
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari
Yes Wii is stronger than PS2, but not much more, compared to how much PS3 and Xbox Full Circle improved on the last generation.
Yes, Xbox 360 and PS3 improved drastically on the previous generation. But just because the Wii didn't as dramatically doesn't mean that it's not much more powerful than the PS2. Do some research before spouting nonsense.
Old 2010-06-24, 15:33   Link #167
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Clockspeed means nothing. The PS2's processor does more work per clock cycle than the Gamecube. The CPU architecture is totally different, too.

Or do you really think a 3GHz Pentium 4 is faster than a 1.6GHz Core i7-720QM?

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2010-06-24 at 15:34. Reason: whoops wrong nintendo!
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 20:45   Link #168
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I thought everyone knew the PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube, already... All one generation back, after all. The current uninformed generation is all about "The Wii barely improved from the Gamesube (spec-wise)" and "Oh my god, all of these pretty graphics. So awesome, oh yeah! Best game ever!".
Hah... Well, that is wh-... Never mind.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 21:09   Link #169
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Clockspeed means nothing. The PS2's processor does more work per clock cycle than the Gamecube. The CPU architecture is totally different, too.

Or do you really think a 3GHz Pentium 4 is faster than a 1.6GHz Core i7-720QM?
Effing lol, that's a stupid comparison. Pentium 4 is single core, Core i7-720QM is quad-core. Neither PS2 or Gamecube were using multi-core processors. The real architectural difference was that the PS2's "Emotion Engine" was 64-bit, as opposed to the Gamecube's "Gekko" which was 32-bit. And regardless it meant nothing, the PS2 never took advantage of the 64-bit processing.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2010-06-24 at 21:26.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:22   Link #170
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I thought everyone knew the PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube, already... All one generation back, after all. The current uninformed generation is all about "The Wii barely improved from the Gamesube (spec-wise)" and "Oh my god, all of these pretty graphics. So awesome, oh yeah! Best game ever!".
I pretty much remember hearing the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 all through last generation as well. And the Wii is basically a Gamecube with twice the memory and a 50% overclock - maybe I'm just too use to thinking in PC terms, but a 50% boost in clock speed is not what I'd consider "barely an improvement."

That said, there's no way I can see this 3DS reaching 360/PS3 level graphics based on the rumours I'm reading. A nice step up from the PSP/iPhone 3GS is more plausible than a generational leap:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/nintendo...ecs-comparison

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:27   Link #171
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Effing lol, that's a stupid comparison. Pentium 4 is single core, Core i7-720QM is quad-core. Neither PS2 or Gamecube were using multi-core processors. The real architectural difference was that the PS2's "Emotion Engine" was 64-bit, as opposed to the Gamecube's "Gekko" which was 32-bit. And regardless it meant nothing, the PS2 never took advantage of the 64-bit processing.
No, what's a stupid comparison is comparing two totally different architectures and basing your conclusions on clockspeed alone.

Maybe I should have said comparing a Celeron-M 1GHz CPU to a Qualcomm Snapdragon 1GHz SoC, because that's what comparing the GCN and PS2's processor is like.

Apples and oranges comparisons are dumb.
Old 2010-06-25, 07:58   Link #172
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
Let's ignore everything else that makes the GameCube a more powerful platform. :roll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0
And the Wii is basically a Gamecube with twice the memory and a 50% overclock
The clock speed was doubled, actually. Also, let's not forget that the architecture was improved with what was backported to the PowerPC architecture from the Cell architecture, and that graphics chipset has been improved. The Wii is similar to the GameCube, but it's not just an over-clocked GameCube.
Old 2010-06-25, 10:22   Link #173
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I don't care about which stupid old console is more powerful (I'm a PC gamer, fuck all y'all consoletards ) I just hate it when people try to gauge CPU performance on clockspeed alone.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2010-06-25 at 10:32.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 10:29   Link #174
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~

And then here we go , i warned you that it'll come to a fight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Pls don't start another fight with Pro-sony vs Pro-Microsoft vs Pro-Nintendo .
Anyway , 3DS release date , March 2011 (well maybe)
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 10:31   Link #175
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Hey I'm not wanting to get into a fight about which platform is best. I'm eyeing the 3DS myself, not because I care about 3D (I don't) but because it's a significant spec bump from the DS and the new games look pretty sweet.

I just hope the 3D thing can be disabled. 3D effects give me migraines, no joke. I felt like my head was going to explode after going to see Avatar, and not just because the movie was really stupid.
Old 2010-06-25, 10:41   Link #176
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~

Yes you can , there is a switch for that

Well for Avatar , i was still ok in the end but i think 3 hours with 3D is the limit for head explode.

Also this advises against children less than 7 years .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 11:42   Link #177
mangatron
Long pantyhose legs <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
And then here we go , i warned you that it'll come to a fight ...
Heh, I tried to have it end with me by staying out of this, but meh, guess no one picked up my smoke signals (don't ask how it went from my OoT talk to these console wars )

Quote:
Anyway , 3DS release date , March 2011 (well maybe)
If it comes out earlier than that in Japan, I don't care if I have to pay that outrageous price I paid to import my DS Lite at JP launch, I'd do that again (though it seems like a simultaneous launch in all regions). If merely my hopes of that Ice Blue color being a launch color (which for some dumb reason NA launch colors were single), I'd just get that color again just to show it to my older brother (who absolutely laughs at that DS lite I imported (ice blue), which the general consensus around the web is that it looks like a toy), which my brother seems to find it funny that I, an adult, use that Ice Blue DS lite (that's because of my 4 yr old scratchless screen protector I installed on it).

I like though how the Stylus is reported to being extend-able. Didn't like buying several of those for the first DS Fat (man was that stylus small!).

boingy boingy boingy
My avatars & signatures
-*Feel My Birthday 2015
XD
Old 2010-06-28, 07:41   Link #178
Gordy Lechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
I like though how the Stylus is reported to being extend-able. Didn't like buying several of those for the first DS Fat (man was that stylus small!).
Hope they do sell replacements for the 3DS styluses, cos MAN is it bloody easy to lose those little fellas.
Old 2010-07-02, 23:35   Link #179
Gordy Lechance

WAAAIIIIT a second.

So, there's no "Voice Microphone" for the 3DS? DAMMIT!!
Old 2010-07-03, 01:17   Link #180
mangatron
Long pantyhose legs <3

I think the part where it's backwards compatible should be enough for it to have a mic. If not, then....

boingy boingy boingy
My avatars & signatures
-*Feel My Birthday 2015
XD

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds