AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-03-28, 18:10   Link #21
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Whether it was reported a month ago or 10 days ago, it's still fresh news to a lot of us, so doesn't matter on the 'when'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I sketch myself from time to time. I am rather good for someone not really into making money. I also learned the basics by copying others. But along the way I stopped and now have a style of my own which is nothing alike the ones I used to learn. This guy openly doing it shows a lack in talent and shame.
Agreed, there are always influences from one human to another, work which has similarities in style, but the way to be really successful is to always have that edge or spark that ideally sets you apart from the rest so you can identify the art piece as your own.

I saw the panels and cringed, the rip off's are so so so bad, that the dude deserves the "Mighty Holy Hand of OTAKU" powah on him.
Kubo himself may not have time to chase this, although he is aware now, i'm sure the fans will be more than happy to turn into angry mob mode for him.

However simmon's will be making a name for himself regardless...
"There's no such thing as bad publicity..."

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 18:28   Link #22
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Let's just call him Kubo jr. It is all he deserves and the nick has a both positive and negative meaning.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Plus it is easy to gain money by abusing someone else's style.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 01:56   Link #23
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Perhaps this is why Bleach got a movie deal with Warner Brothers? Maybe Gene is trying buy of Kubo with a movie deal...? (That was my first thought when I heard Bleach got a movie deal though-- as shallow as it may seem.)

But seriously, Nick really needs to grow up, go to an art institute and actually train. Practice makes perfect. It's obvious that without tracing Kubo, he was unable to understand the human form or how a body moves so this might (and hopefully will) be a good lesson for him.

I do feel upset for the rest of the American manga artists out there. Just the other day, my friend and I were at the library and she picked up a random manga but then put it back despite thinking the art was interesting because the artist was American-- shallow; I know. Seeing that some people are having such a difficult time reading a manga that has an American name on the cover and then this incident happened with Nick Simmons-- it's really like taking four steps back. Hopefully though, everything will resolve itself.
Old 2010-03-29, 11:53   Link #24
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Cause if another Japanese artist does it they will not even notice..
If an American steals something from a Japanese artist all the weabo's get their pitchforks and torches because it "offends" them greatly, it is unoriginal and childish and because it is the west.. obviously (anything Japan is awesome.. anything Western is not worthy of your time remember?) =P

I oppose this.. but also that the Japanese industry has been stealing from each other for years and years as well (people start shouting out to Simmons when they do not even notice it happening in the Japanese circles themselves -_-; ). But seriously this is old news..

Yes the Japanese anime industry and artists copy eachother style

but not image by image

N. Simmons' drawings are litterally overlays

there IS a difference there
Old 2010-03-29, 21:59   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like father, like son ..... annoying.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 22:09   Link #26
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Artists need to obligate themselves to learn from those that came before them. They can get a rough idea or even lessons from their predecessors work... But that should be it, ideas and lessons. Not 'overlays' as NightB@t mentioned.

I feel bad for the manga artists in america, as well. Giving them bad names, denying their talent and skill right from the start as a result because of people like Simmon's son.

I respect skill and talent, and those that can do it by themselves while simply learning from others... But this is appalling in my eyes. I'd buy him a manga and show him what true skill is.

Thing is, he is liable to trace that, too.

Perfecting the art you are working in is a goal and a obligation, in my opinion. In this world you won't be accepted unless you show skill. Simmons' has shown the wrong kind of skill, and he is being accepted as the copycat mangaka.

...He did it to himself, being famous and publishing a rip-off is a sure way to make you publicly a jackass.

I hope the mangaka that are american born aren't affected by this too much... Just because it didn't come from japan doesn't mean it's bad. (though like cases like this, it's hard not to think like that.)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 22:23   Link #27
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Thread title is now changed to "plagiarism in the manga/anime world" as to allow a broader discussion on the topic of Plagiarism.
Old 2010-03-30, 02:23   Link #28
roriconfan
Banned

This is me sitting on a chair

And this is me, making a picture out of my photo

OH NO, I PLAGIARIZED MYSELF!!!

BS, it is really easy to make panels based on photos and even easier to nobody realize they are based on photos to begin with.
JUST HAVE YOUR OWN STYLE.
Old 2010-03-30, 21:43   Link #29
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol that's pretty awesome.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 04:32   Link #30
roriconfan
Banned

Thanks, I have done it many times so far. Here is how you can make even perspective. It took 5 seconds to pose and 5 more to take the shot.
Spoiler for me again:

And to be honest, I prefer me doing the poses instead of looking around to find the proper pose I want in someone else's picture. I mean, how many hours did that guy lose to find all the panels he needed to rip off make a tribute to Kubo? Wouldn't it be far easier to find a few friends to assume positions? And legally safe? And more artistic? And original? And everything?

Man, I am an amateur and yet I come up with methods far superior to those of pros. Shows how smart those guys are to do this shit.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-03-31 at 06:25.
Old 2010-03-31, 06:45   Link #31
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

That takes, what? Less than a minute to set up? Makes it even more pathetic that Simmons so blatantly plagiarized a well-known mangaka.
Old 2010-03-31, 07:15   Link #32
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

I LOL'd when I read this a couple of weeks ago.
One question though...was the chapter Nick copied released in North America by Viz yet or did he copy it from raws/scanlations he saw on the internet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Yeah... Gene Simmons needs to learn how to draw his own damn characters. The only reason I could possibly see for Kubo not suing him is that Kiss gave him an autographed album or something, because that is seriously ridiculous.
Nick Simmons did it - Gene's son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Plagiarism is one of the worst acts an artist can ever do, he will be condemned by the art community.
Indeed. Plagiarism is taught all the way from middle school, high school the latest. The fool thought he could get away with I guess.

[QUOTE=Mystique;2977238]Whether it was reported a month ago or 10 days ago, it's still fresh news to a lot of us, so doesn't matter on the 'when'. /QUOTE]Thank you! I was going to say the same thing.
Old 2010-03-31, 07:21   Link #33
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Plagiarism is taught all the way from middle school,
School teaches you to be a mediocrity and to accept things as they are. In my high school you were even being downgraded for being original. This dude retained that mentality.
Old 2010-03-31, 12:57   Link #34
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Thanks, I have done it many times so far. Here is how you can make even perspective. It took 5 seconds to pose and 5 more to take the shot.
Spoiler for me again:

And to be honest, I prefer me doing the poses instead of looking around to find the proper pose I want in someone else's picture. I mean, how many hours did that guy lose to find all the panels he needed to rip off make a tribute to Kubo? Wouldn't it be far easier to find a few friends to assume positions? And legally safe? And more artistic? And original? And everything?

Man, I am an amateur and yet I come up with methods far superior to those of pros. Shows how smart those guys are to do this shit.
Hah, if people could think like that, we'd have much better media. Some people have forgotten what effort means, and thinks they can have a big ego trip without doing anything of their own. :/
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 21:49   Link #35
AnimeFan188

China Gives Rip-Off Anime Top Culture Prize

"Anime fans are aghast at the news that the Guangxi government has given its highest
award for cultural excellence to a Chinese moral indoctrination anime widely derided as
a complete rip-off of 5cm Per Second."

See:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/0...culture-prize/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 10:37   Link #36
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Anime fans are aghast at the news that the Guangxi government has given its highest
award for cultural excellence to a Chinese moral indoctrination anime widely derided as

See:

lol China can go and give awards to itself and no one will care.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 18:20   Link #37
AnimeFan188

Plagiarism happens in Japan too. Here's a blog post from 2009:

"When it comes to plagiarism in Japan, perhaps no manga have been able to surpass
the popularity of the "Four Heavenly Kings of Plagiarism" (パクリ四天王).

The prestigious title of "The King of Plagiarism" was given by fans to four well-known
series, they are: Samumrai Deeper Kyo (Later replaced by Monster Hunter), Flame of
Recca, Black Cat and Rave Master."

See:

http://vanbun.blogspot.com/2009/10/p...nga-world.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 02:50   Link #38
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^
Yeah, it happens a lot. There's also been a fair amount of discussion about Slam Dunk (the mangaka of Eden no Hana was accused of copying some frames from Slam Dunk, and then people discovered that Inoue Takehiko had himself copied poses etc from NBA photos). Whether copying from photos equates to plagiarism or not may seem somewhat debatable, but Nitta Youka certainly got into trouble for copying fashion photos for her manga...

Also, this may upset a few people, but google "kanno yoko" and "plagiarism" and see what you get...

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 09:13   Link #39
mechdra

I guess this issue is hot is because it is Nick Simmons and second is Bleach. If it is a random work done by some unknown dude from Yuckbekkistan and the manga is some unpopular manga, no one will care about it.

Seriously, this kind of things happened many times already and sometimes I laugh at it. One good example is a man hua by the name GT Racer, it got Takumi and Ryosuke from Initial D with the same exact art and pose and drawing but with color.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 14:36   Link #40
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi

Wow, I've got a four-lettered alternate spelling for Nick Simmons: F-A-I-L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

See:

Not the first time I've heard of Chinese and Hong Kong copying off Japanese manga. There's also this:

http://arinatanemura.livejournal.com/22557.html#cutid1

Rawr.