AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-09-13, 21:23   Link #41
Kudryavka

Blatant plagarism? Did any of these guys really think they'd get away with it, or was it on purpose for quick fame? >.>

A few scenes, less than five, wouldn't even be noticeable. But they've copied so much, and all from the same source.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 21:35   Link #42
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I wonder what people on this thread think of this:

Spoiler for Madoka Magica Episode 1/Later Sket Dance Episode screenshot comparison:

I mean... I don't see a problem with one anime being inspired by another, but this seems a bit much to me.

I mean, half of that I probably wouldn't have a problem with, but to take it all the way like that?
Old 2011-09-13, 22:56   Link #43
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mean... I don't see a problem with one anime being inspired by another, but this seems a bit much to me.

I mean, half of that I probably wouldn't have a problem with, but to take it all the way like that?
The parody wouldn't work if it wasn't the ENTIRE scene.
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3872.html
It copy's the title font and the DVD cover as well.

SKET Dance is a very reference heavy anime. If anything the most plagiarizing thing of that episode was the rip-off of Usagi Drops art style.
(The episode also had beys, Yu-Gi-Oh cards and the mascot of Moetan.)
Old 2011-09-14, 20:35   Link #44
Kudryavka

@ Triple_R Good point. AFT's link seems to suggest that it's an intentional parody though. These other guys in the thread (except for the Chinese girl, possibly) copied way too much in a non-"Hey guys, remember this scene from that other manga/anime? " manner; they weren't making homages or jokes. Even if they were, the joke happened way too often to stay fresh and even be considered a joke anymore.
Old 2011-10-06, 21:24   Link #45
AnimeFan188

Manga Plagiarism “More Blatant Than Ever”

"2ch’s plagiarism police have been sharing some of their favourite examples of how
not to go about blatant manga plagiarism, although at times it seems their zealous
pursuit of these goals has got the better of them.

It should of course be noted that spoilers may be present in the various images
used:"

See:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/1...ant-than-ever/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 21:42   Link #46
kalen

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Plagiarism is more or less wrong.
kalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 21:50   Link #47
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalen View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Plagiarism is more or less wrong.
plagiarism is evidence of a talentless hack that needs to find another line of work.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:44   Link #48
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Maybe the term "plagiarism" has been thrown too many times already.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 22:42   Link #49
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
plagiarism is evidence of a talentless hack that needs to find another line of work.
I disagree with this because of Suetsugu Yuki. She is a terrific story-teller and artist, but was caught out for copying the layout of some frames. Her publisher ditched her, but when she restarted a year or so later, her first manga won an award. The pressure of time may have something to do with mangaka copying frame layouts, but I'm not sure it's such a problem, really. The story and characters are what count for me, and we all learn from people who went before. In any case, there is a fine line between emulation and imitation.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Amagi Brilliant Park | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 23:02   Link #50
Echoes

Talentless hack may be a bit too harsh of a term to apply universally, though in many cases, I think it would an accurate description.

Other times, it can be the result of, as Kaoru Chujo points out, time constraints and external pressure. Other times yet, it's just pure laziness, but that could easily fit the "talentless hack" label as well I suppose. Whatever the reason, I do think it's something to be called out and condemned.
Old 2011-10-08, 16:08   Link #51
christinemarie
Best Imouto

So far only four animes have managed to sneak into plagiarism territory thanks to parody namely Gintama, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Seitokai no Echizon, and SKET Dance, although I did watch the recent cross-over of SKET Dance to Gintama and vice-versa where they talk about these stuffs.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 19:13   Link #52
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
So far only four animes have managed to sneak into plagiarism territory thanks to parody
That...wouldn't be plagiarism.

Parody is parody. It's like having Weird Al does a spin on your song. Do you bitch about it, and get called a douchebag by the entire media industry, or do you laugh along with everyone?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 23:09   Link #53
Echoes

Yeah...

It's sad when people can't take a joke. Coolio and Eminem spring to mind....

And yeah, calling stuff like Seitokai no Ichizon and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei plagiarism is just... wrong. It's not even Weird Al territory, since he actually uses their music and changes the lyrics. The aforementioned anime just make references and jokes about other popular shows.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:26   Link #54
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
So far only four animes have managed to sneak into plagiarism territory thanks to parody namely Gintama, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Seitokai no Echizon, and SKET Dance, although I did watch the recent cross-over of SKET Dance to Gintama and vice-versa where they talk about these stuffs.
God forbid someone ever parodies christine's work.
Old 2011-12-10, 00:04   Link #55
AnimeFan188

Jump Manga Suspended for Tracing

"Grand Jump serialised gourmet manga “Dashi Master” is the latest manga to fall
victim to the temptations of Google Images, with the publishers suspending its
publication after its author was accused of tracing a significant number of images.

As might be expected, it was the mysteriously thorough investigation by online
plagiarism police which was the manga’s undoing:"

See:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/1...d-for-tracing/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 00:15   Link #56
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

So food images can be plagiarized now? O_o
Honestly, I feel bad for the mangaka to get the ultimate insult for his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy from Sankaku
It is food! How else is supposed to look like?!

Old 2011-12-10, 00:42   Link #57
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
So food images can be plagiarized now? O_o
Honestly, I feel bad for the mangaka to get the ultimate insult for his work.
1. those photos are copyright, the mangaka by copying those images without permission which expose Jump to a copyright lawsuit.

2. the mangaka could have easily went out to dinner take a photo of the food and use that. He was just plain lazy for using google.
Old 2011-12-10, 00:50   Link #58
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Quote:
2. the mangaka could have easily went out to dinner take a photo of the food and use that. He was just plain lazy for using google.
And do you think mangaka can just order a gourmet dish?
Take note that not all mangaka are well-to-do people.

Old 2011-12-11, 14:51   Link #59
GundamFan

Ethically his stuff is so similar definetly plagiarism some of those panels look like little more then recolored versions of the original work.

Legaly Nick is in deep trouble if Viz pursues this given that the National v. Fawcett is usually used as precedent for copyright and plagiarism involving comic characters and they rule in that one that Captain Marvel was similar enough to Superman to violate National comics (DC) copyright.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 16:05   Link #60
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
That...wouldn't be plagiarism.

Parody is parody. It's like having Weird Al does a spin on your song. Do you bitch about it, and get called a douchebag by the entire media industry, or do you laugh along with everyone?
I agree, parody is not plagiarism and a lot of time it was done with consent or the licence of source work is under same parent company. Many time anime parody of a series changes form manga source due to different affiliations as well, look at Keroro Gunsou or even 4-koma manga like Lucky Star etc.

And than there is the silent policy for fan creation that brings us dojinshi. But in this case, it was not trying to recreate original work nor was it a parody with consent.

In these cases, Japan is well-known for going after people like that. Not too long a go I read about a new where Lady Gaga was force to remove video of her appearance on Japanese Smap x Smap show for Youtube and got suspended from the official channel due to lack of digital license. Japanese can be brutal when they choose to be.

Kaoru Chujogave a good example. Kaoru Chujo was caught copying roughly about a dozen frames from Slam Dunk (yes frames not pages) and was forced to apologize publicly which derailed her once-promising shojo career and was frozen for 2 years because of it and she was on a pretty good run and entering her prime years as well. If it wasn't because of her own talent with new returning work Chihayafuru, she might be gone forever.