AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-02, 07:01   Link #1
Senshigeia

Anime/Manga recomendation

Hi everyone,

I was wonderig if there is any anime/manga series simular to Clamp's xxxHolic (supernatural, mystery, magic, slice of life and comedy).

Thanks in advanced!!
Old 2010-04-02, 07:35   Link #2
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

I believe Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya falls in that genre.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒ, Suzumiya Haruhi?) is the general name for a series of light novels written by Nagaru Tanigawa and illustrated by Noizi Ito, and subsequently adapted into other media. The story follows the title character, Haruhi Suzumiya, a high school girl who can unconsciously change reality, and her strange antics with her school club, the SOS Brigade, which she founded to investigate any mysterious happenings. Haruhi forcibly drafts her cynical classmate Kyon who narrates the series, and similarly recruits three additional members into her club: the silent bibliophile Yuki Nagato, the shy and timid Mikuru Asahina, and the friendly "mysterious exchange student" Itsuki Koizumi. These members soon reveal themselves to Kyon as the extraordinary characters Haruhi is seeking, sent by their various organizations to observe her and hold her reality warping powers in check by maintaining the illusion of a normal life.
Never seen it myself though but its popularity seems phenomenal.
Old 2010-04-02, 15:32   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Seconing Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Made of pure win that series.

P.S @delta, go watch it!

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

Old 2010-04-02, 21:43   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hmm. Wouldn't have thought of Haruhi in this context.

xxxHolic has a plot relationship with Tsubasa (Reservoir) Chronicles in the manga, but the animated version of Tsubasa doesn't have the flair or resources that Production I.G brought to xxxHolic. (Personally I enjoyed the three or four manga volumes I read of xxxHolic much more than the anime. I disliked the stick-figure character models and the portrayal of Watanuki in particular.)

However I can make a few recommendations in the "supernatural, mystery, magic, slice of life and comedy" department.

First, I'd recommend Natsume Yuujinchou and its second season on Crunchyroll. It has just the mix of features you're looking for.

Next, I'd suggest Someday's Dreamers and its successor Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora. In these shows magic is a feature of ordinary life. Both stories concern young women who attend a magic academy to learn how to control and hone their abilities.

For a much darker, but brilliantly animated story, I'd suggest Bakeneko and its successor Mononoke. In these stories, supernatural beasts arise from the malevolence of humans. The protagonist, a demon-slaying apothecary, must determine the key features of his opponent in order to defeat it. In the process we learn unpleasant facts about human conduct, leavened by the wry perspective of the apothecary. (He'd make a great companion for Youko.)

You might also enjoy Hakaba Kitaro, one of a variety of remakes of the Kitaro manga, about a boy who is the last remaining representative of the "ghost tribe" on earth.

More serious choices include Moribito and Erin by the anthropologist-cum-novelist Uehashi Nahoko. Both of these are strong dramas with supernatural features and some "slice-of-life" episodes as well.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:35   Link #5
Senshigeia

Thank you for the help, Natsume Yuujinchou looks great SeijiSensei, I think I am going to start watshing it, but I will also give a try to all series everyone has suggested.
Closed Thread