AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-06-18, 09:58   Link #721
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Tetsuo 3, despite being a very good film, it still is way inferior to tsukamoto's early works. His style becomes progressively more commercial losing its uniqueness. Despite that the film is way better than your average box-office crap, and a good introduction to independent cinema.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 11:50   Link #722
Kallen4life

the new X-men FC is in imdb top250 for now, it warms my heart a little ^^
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 12:06   Link #723
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Honestly I cant see why. I found it entertaining and isn't that the main point of a movie, sure I didn't get any underlying meaning from the story nor did it feel complex but I did enjoy watching it and certainly more than some of this years "hit" movies.

If theres anything I've learned over the years its not to take the word of critics but with so many damning reviews I wasn't expecting much so I was pleasantly surprised.
I'm a big time film fan, studied courses for it and everything, so I'm pretty analytical when it comes to film making. I need a substantial amount of substance from some aspect of the film and Sucker Punch failed to deliver on any of those accounts. It's just another overly-stylized, super glossy looking film with poorly done action sequences and run-of-the-mill characters.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 12:06   Link #724
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
well it's somewhat different, villain is not solo, he has army, mooks, weapons etc. .. it's outside of the valley of peace for the most part .. and there's much less Shifu

the five (with the exception of Tigress) still don't have much lines/development (but hey, they wanna make 6 movies total + 52 episode series, we'll get there), but overall, it has the same feel, nice jokes, action and very tear-jerking & heart-warming in a few scenes

if you liked the first I'm almost certain you'll like this one .. most comments I saw suggest the 2-nd is on par or better then the first, a few said first was better, but this was still alright
I agree. This movie had a different feel but to me it was a bit better then the first one, especially with the visuals. I relly liked the mannerisms, movements and Gary's Oldman's voice acting with The White Peacock.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 14:33   Link #725
Kallen4life

yeah the Peacock with Oldman's voice and those eyes of his and general creepiness made an awesome villain .. better then most I saw, especially in animated movies
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-06-18, 21:33   Link #726
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The Running Man (1987) Its just so awesome nothing like a movie that one runs for your life trying to live while its all being bet on and watch by millions
Old 2011-06-18, 21:39   Link #727
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
The Running Man (1987) Its just so awesome nothing like a movie that one runs for your life trying to live while its all being bet on and watch by millions
"Here's Sub-Zero... now here's PLAIN Zero!"
Old 2011-06-18, 22:40   Link #728
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Watched "Hero" for the third time: a truly brilliant movie and a masterpiece of a motion picture. Not a single frame in the movie doesn't deserve its own screencap.
Hell yes. I still remember seeing that in theaters for the first time. I adored it even more than Crouching Tiger, if only for the stylization. Not that the story wasn't powerful, but still. I really can't even express how much I loved this movie in words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Watched "The Golden Compass" ... beautiful atmosphere (magi-techno-steampunkish world) but I felt like I was trying to see a cool story through a really thick gauze. Afterwards did a bit of research and found out - yes, another movie that the "studio executives" interfered with and then were upset when it didn't do as well as they wanted. Some times I wish the directors and actors would name names instead of just saying the "studio execs"... *individual idiots* made those decisions -- we should be able to egg their house

So.... it was somewhat interesting and a bit of a shame that sequels were never made.
Assuming you haven't, do yourself a favor and read the trilogy. It is a fantastic epic series that the movie didn't even come close to doing justice, despite having Daniel Craig, Eva Green and Gandalf the polar bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Watched an oldie recently, Bram Stokers: Dracula. Hadn't seen that in like 14 years (when I was but a wee teen), was a good watch. I saw the 'making of' feature recently for it which sparked my interest since they did some interesting things without CGI which gave the feel quite a surreal quality that can still hold up OK today. Besides it had some awesome actors in it.
Yet another movie I loved. Although it feels weird to call it an oldie (1994 was it?) It was good enough to make go and read the actual Dracula soon after, and I remember even being disappointed there was no romantic subplot in the book like in the movie. I'm over that now. But yeah, it was easily the creepiest take on Dracula's I've seen, including Lugosi's and Nosferatu. Never saw the Hammer Films version though, so maybe Christopher Lee was scarier still. Gary Oldman, though, man, just pure awesome. And a young Winona Ryder
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 02:31   Link #729
Kallen4life

that Dracula is 1992 afaik .. also featuring post-Ted pre-Speed/Neo Keanu Reeves
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-06-22, 22:19   Link #730
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I watched John Carpenter's The Thing earlier today... never gets old.
Old 2011-06-22, 22:36   Link #731
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
I've always found it interesting that it was a book by Stephen King. So unlike him.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 03:11   Link #732
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
I watched John Carpenter's The Thing earlier today... never gets old.
might be my single favorite horror/suspense/paranoia movie ever .. and the special effects still look ok almost 30 years later

there'll be a prequel in fall 2011 btw, will give it a chance
We are Blackwatch
Old 2011-06-24, 02:31   Link #733
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Today I watched Glengarry Glen Ross. Pretty good stuff. Lots lying, desperation and desperate lying. Great performances by all the cast, particularly Jack Lemmon and Al Pacino. Good movie, I recommend. Bit like Death of a Salesman but even more desperate.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-06-24 at 03:06.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 02:42   Link #734
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Yeah, that was a pretty good movie, one of the few where Arnie was really good in. Mind you, I like Arnie films for the fun of it, but I thought this one was a genuinely good movie and good performance from him.

Watched "Volcano High" last night. I wouldn't say it's an exceptionally good movie, but it was fun to watch nonetheless. Special effects were good, and the plot is very much what you'd find in a Shounen anime. Acting was part-decent, but that opinion's influenced by the fact that I didn't watch the original Korean version, and the dubbing was done by a bunch of rappers and hip hop stars so I'm letting that one slide. 6/10
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 23:16   Link #735
Haladflire65
*Artist

Finally saw Kung Fu Panda 2! Great stuff, very funny, excellent action and great animation! I instantly loved Lord Shen, a far more interesting villain than the first film's Tai Lung, IMO. His fighting style was so lovely to watch, loved those tail feathers, and Gary Oldman was so awesome I think I liked this one just as much as the first movie, a rare good sequel!
Old 2011-06-26, 14:32   Link #736
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Just watched Cars 2... never tought it would happen, but I think we've finally came up with Pixar's first failure.
Old 2011-06-26, 15:44   Link #737
Dirtytrenchcoat

Lets see~

I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 in theaters~ It was amazing! I reccommend everyone go see it.
I DVR'd Kickass and Scott Pilgrim.
-Kickass was really funny~! (I suppose it also helps that the lead character is pretty easy on the eyes too. = u = )
-Scott Pilgrim had its moments. Though the most interesting parts were the fight scenes. I lol'd at the Vegan Police. (oh p.s. : "ITS MILK AND EGG B****!")

Then two nights ago I watched A Single Man. Brilliant movie <3
Old 2011-06-26, 16:01   Link #738
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Just watched Cars 2... never tought it would happen, but I think we've finally came up with Pixar's first failure.
Not financially, of course!

darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 21:17   Link #739
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Kung Fu Panda 2
Xmen 1st Class
Green Lantern
Old 2011-06-27, 05:40   Link #740
Kallen4life

saw Big Lebowski

amazing film and VERY funny .. srsly, I laughed my ass off the entire time