AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-06, 15:57   Link #81
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Technically its a different dress. I don't think the current Maya would fit in that tiny dress.
It's the same dress just a different size (of course). That was Kanon's point.
Old 2010-07-06, 16:02   Link #82
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's the same dress just a different size (of course). That was Kanon's point.
Look, I also have a certain type of jeens I like. You'd be surprise how many of the same type I have! Its nothing special if she's just very comfortable in that kind of dress. Well, I guess I'm cheating a little here since jeens don't really have that much variation anyway. But you get the point.
Old 2010-07-06, 16:15   Link #83
kujoe
from head to heel

Man, talk about making an entrance. (And yes, I'm also referring to that scene of course.)

The minute I saw the promo pic of the anime, with Maya sitting on the dude, I had a feeling that this series was going to be great. I initially got interested at the prospect of a dominant, tsundere ojou-sama, and so far I like what I see.

The humour is just like one of those out-of-nowhere gags considering the weight of the situation. Even with stuff like dripping snot and hilarious facial expressions, the timing is just right.

The OP was very good too actually. I'm still not so sure about the ED sequence, but it isn't bad.

Overall, this is shaping up to be a good series.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 16:48   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just finished the first ep.... I got a real "inverted SHnY" feeling from all the characters, voice acting, and the story line, not a bad thing but it did make for some odd deja vu at times. The artwork is somewhat severe, almost Western Cartoon-ish.

Looks like its worth a ride at least for the time being...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 16:58   Link #85
7Th
Mixtape

Jesus Christ, the staff for episode 3 of this show is insane:

Script and Storyboard: Hiroyuki Kitakubo
Direction: Osamu Kobayashi
Animation Direction: ISO MITSUO (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 17:15   Link #86
Katapan
俺様祭り

I didn't think we'd get to see anything from Iso before Uchuu Show e Youkoso. I was sort of expecting great animators on this series, but maybe not that level of great... hard not to be really excited, especially after a solid first episode. Anime no Chikara is finally starting to make some sense!
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 17:17   Link #87
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Finding out Mitsuo Iso will be the animation director for the third episode has actually just blew me away. We are in for a treat.
Old 2010-07-06, 18:35   Link #88
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Jesus Christ, the staff for episode 3 of this show is insane:
Script and Storyboard: Hiroyuki Kitakubo
Direction: Osamu Kobayashi
Animation Direction: ISO MITSUO (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Holy shit.
Thanks a lot for this awesome info.
Old 2010-07-06, 19:14   Link #89
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Does anyone know the music that was played during the episode previews? It wasn't the OP or ED, just what was that?
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 19:27   Link #90
Qikz

Quick question, since it's about the occult and marked as a horror, it's not actually scary is it? If it is I'll probably avoid it but if it's more comedy horror I'll give this a watch, it's just I get creeped out easily. >
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 19:36   Link #91
Atsuro

The trailer makes it seem whimsical. I will give it a watch when more episodes are released like I do all shows.
Atsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 19:40   Link #92
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Quick question, since it's about the occult and marked as a horror, it's not actually scary is it? If it is I'll probably avoid it but if it's more comedy horror I'll give this a watch, it's just I get creeped out easily. >
Yes it's comedy horror, you HAVE to give it a try.
Eg- a girl gets possessed, one of the guys starts to pummel her mercilessly while the ghost screams 'Not the face, not the face!'
ID555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 19:43   Link #93
Atsuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
Yes it's comedy horror, you HAVE to give it a try.
Eg- a girl gets possessed, one of the guys starts to pummel her mercilessly while the ghost screams 'Not the face, not the face!'
That sounds amazingly hilarious.
Atsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 19:54   Link #94
bloodraze

It's basically, Ghostbusters: The Animation. At first it looks like it's going to be scary but it ends up with you laughing.
bloodraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 20:15   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodraze View Post
It's basically, Ghostbusters: The Animation. At first it looks like it's going to be scary but it ends up with you laughing.
Actually, even the art style kind of reminded me of the old Ghostbusters animated cartoons -- I was quietly wondering if the style choice was intentional.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 20:45   Link #96
Preacher

Somehoe it rings more bells with Scoobie Doo then Ghost Busters heh
Old 2010-07-06, 20:56   Link #97
FateAnomaly

Not too bad a pilot. Anyway, i find it a little amusing too that she wore the same type of dress from young to now. (Probably justifying that she will wear the same dress throughout the series)

So the plot is that a monster outbreak will occur in the future as a result of the actions of the people working behind the scene at the occult academy. The future people couldn't handle it therefore they send their last guy back to the past (terminator style) to prevent the outbreak. His mission is to help/protect Maya to achieve her goal of destroying the school. Is that right? Pretty cliched but the execution is interesting. Will be following this for now.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 21:16   Link #98
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
...Someone buy poor Maya some clothes, please. She's been wearing the same dress since her childhood, apparently.
Lol. I thought that was a neat little joke, not an oversight. It also hints that she is still the same person she was then, in some way.

And for those who, like me, were wondering why people were so excited about the staff for ep3, I looked them up, and:

Episode director Osamu Kobayashi was the director of Kimagure Orange Road (when he was 23), BECK, Paradise Kiss, and Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora (a show I totally loved, unlike most people). He also had complete charge of ep4 of Gurren Lagann and ep7 of Kemonozume (storyboard, director, animation director, key animation).

Animation Director Iso Mitsuo is famous for "key animation in large portions of Asuka's battle in The End of Evangelion and the first half of Ghost in the Shell's tank battle." (Wikipedia) He also wrote and directed Dennou Coil.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 21:47   Link #99
Saber Cherry
Marionette

That was really good. But everything from the atmosphere to the semi-retro setting and character designs remind me much more of Scooby Doo than anything else (as Preacher has also noted).
Old 2010-07-06, 21:57   Link #100
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Watched episode 1....and my first thought was "uh a show with no moe-ness on it"

So this season we have 3 animes that involves occult/monsters/ghost/supernatural....one of it is a galore of fanservices and moe-ness of the female characters alongside the horror premise, another one still waiting to be aired (but looking from the PV and scans, seems like it has some moe genre on it too)...and lastly we have Occult Gakuen.

Looking from the character design, i don't think it has any moe-ness (or maybe a little..?) stuffs on it, however it somehow emits the aura of gothicness and darkish feelings, which blend perfectly with the theme of the story. Maya's design surely looks gothic in a way...especially her face. In a way she looks like Hime from Kaibutsu Ojou...no i think she's exactly the same as Hime. She caught my interest in watching this series, and she's truly an interesting character to watch.

The storyline for the first episode is quite typical for a ghost/supernatural series i think, meeting a ghost, chase it, kill it, yadayadayadayada....however the ending was epic. I knew someone mentioned this few pages back, but still, the ending was hilarious, especially on certain scene And its weird how Maya could hold herself from screaming after being exposed to an "occult" that without doubt will make other girls screaming like hell, along with the typical "PERVERT" alongside it.

The show still hasn't caught my interest fully yet....have to wait for another few episode to see if i wanna stick to this show or not. But i think, its a great show...for an original story anime.

7/10