AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-16, 22:47   Link #1201
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
The negotiation process on most anime projects typically begins 1.5 to 2 years before broadcast (i.e. directors for Hourou Musuko and Yumekui Merry were lined up in late 2008 and early 2009, respectively). Nowadays, that's often shortly after a title has started being published.

If you've read on the relationship between the anime industry and light novel publishers, anime producers are actually asking the latter to produce content for them from the getgo. They've burned through so many of the popular sources that they can no longer afford to wait and evaluate. It's a reciprocal relationship in which publishers provide something that's fan friendly and easily adaptable, while the anime producers provide shows that advertise those sources a couple years down the road.
And you know this because?

Do you know how many new title each year come out for LN? Most of them ends only at one volume when they're not popular enough(This is also why even the most popular novel is not numbered at the first volume. The author always expect that could always be the only volume come out of that series if they're not popular enough). Some light novel might be the result of anime producers' request, or game company's request, but generalizing it to the whole media is just ridiculous. It's just like if I generalizing western novel as crap because the only novel I ever read is the star wars continuation, or star treks one.

Try to read more LN, especially from the publisher who published more heavier LN(Dengeki Bunko is a good start, although there are a lot or other publisher which publish even heavier story).

And just for your information, not all LN has an illustration page inside. For example, the famous monogatari series bt NishioishiN doesn't have any illustration page inside aside from the one in the chapter title, and that's also usually only the picture of the main heroine in the chapter. The illustration page in LN is to help people who have trouble imagining the scene in a LN, since sometimes in LN, the author might decide to cut on the description to focus more on dialogue and inner monologue to make the story more character driven(and the page is very limited for one volume of LN to make it stay as LN).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post

TJR is also correct, though a bit harsher than I would put it myself. It seems to me that Anime/Light Novel writers have discarded their knowledge of literary techniques and conventions in favour of throwing together otaku culture tropes and archetypes. You might even say that they do this because the otaku market is insular and demanding, but it happens nonetheless. Cultural elitism aside, writers would be panned for such shoddy work in other markets.

As for my general point here, you can find a show entertaining even with low quality writing, all of us do at some points. I'm enjoying quite a few of those this season, but that doesn't mean you have to ignore the obvious quality defects.
An even more ridiculous claim.

1. How many LN title have you read to come out with that claim? 1 publisher can publish 10 LN title each month, that means almost hundred of new title is published in Japan each month. Are you claiming this from just the one being animated? If you do then I will rebuke the same as above. Your claim is the same as if I claim that western novel is solely filled with ridiculous medieval western fantasy set of vampire and magic and only filled with pretty girl and handosme boy to attract the mindless teenagers when the only western novel I've ever read is Harry Potter and Twilight(Well, I've never read Twilight because the movie adaptation was just that bad, but let's stay at the subject)

2. Do you read them in the original language to claim that? Translator, especially fan translator, doesn't have literature background. They usually only try to keep the content intact when translating, not the literature technique.

3. How much knowledge do you know about Japanese literature? You can't just apply the rule for English literature straight to the Japanese one. The Japanese language is a lot different than English, they have a lot of word play because of the number of homonyms in the language, the subject in a sentence doesn't have to be always explicitly stated, and in fact, a lot of the sentence in a writing can only be understood along with the context(read stand alone, they just don't have any meaning). This is very different with English language where they always state the subject and object in a sentence clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post

And iceberg of nonsense, I like that. At any rate, thinking of the target audience is well and good, but consider the problem you face when you go to such contrivances in order to make a story fit a setting rather than vice versa. This means that certain liberties must be taken with logic, resulting in things like IS's ridiculous setting which drew a lot of criticism.
Ah yeah, so I guess a school of magic where the students are taught of spell that can harm people and armed with wand to activate said magic is more logical than them carrying guns(Harry Potter). Or maybe a vampire going to school and taking normal class even though there's a lot of danger of them being found out and hunted?(Twilight). Ah, I know, maybe having small people who doesn't have any special ability whatsoever to go to the most dangerous adventure in the story's world is very logical when there's normal sized people with better ability who could do the task just as well(Lord of the Ring). Or maybe, having a university professor running away from police instead of trying to explain the situation to them is a very logical settings(Da vinci Code).

Let's face it, there's never been any logic behind a fiction work, just some rationalization. It's just that those rationalization sometimes works more for some of us better than others, the same as this series.

I have to admit, IS was a train of wreck as far as story goes, but that's because the anime story writer decide to be a moron and cut the little explanation details present in the novel, and that only happen halfway into the series. This series on the other hand, is only on the first episode and people already criticize the settings. Give it time, and see where the anime director took this series to before judging it. For now, just rationalize the setting with an explanation that suit you best, just like how you rationalize when dealing with other logically absurd fiction setting, even in the western literature.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 22:47   Link #1202
Silverwyrm
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
What's funny is that in the LN she's a strawberry blonde. There's nothing blonde about her hair in artwork.
Sure there is, its just our eyes cant see it.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 22:57   Link #1203
ZeKeR
Superbad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
Send a message via Skype™ to ZeKeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Sure there is, its just our eyes cant see it.
hey its animated after all... if there was a color range for strawberry red, they'd actually put it there. this range is a duller version of the original description tho.
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:16   Link #1204
recover
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
back on topic....I LOVE THIS SERIES ALREADY

tsundere r.kug
+
guns
=
what else do u need
recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:18   Link #1205
mangatron
Gyanko <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Hey, we are on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
hey its animated after all... if there was a color range for strawberry red, they'd actually put it there. this range is a duller version of the original description tho.
Hmm strawberry blonde, eh... well there, that should be different that Zero no Louise, right? Or don't tell me she's ichigo too
Wait, all this time it's always strawberry blonde, and not pink? I always thought Lacus Clyne had pink hair

It makes sense though. Every strawberry shake I've drank was really like Aria's hair, and not bloody red...

It's too long though! I just want to say "she's got pink hair" instead of the longer "she's got strawberry blonde hair"
__________________

It's a wonderful view.
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:25   Link #1206
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post



Ah yeah, so I guess a school of magic where the students are taught of spell that can harm people and armed with wand to activate said magic is more logical than them carrying guns(Harry Potter). Or maybe a vampire going to school and taking normal class even though there's a lot of danger of them being found out and hunted?(Twilight). Ah, I know, maybe having small people who doesn't have any special ability whatsoever to go to the most dangerous adventure in the story's world is very logical when there's normal sized people with better ability who could do the task just as well(Lord of the Ring). Or maybe, having a university professor running away from police instead of trying to explain the situation to them is a very logical settings(Da vinci Code).


Nitpick but there's actually reason to why Hobbits are used for the Ring journey...

Aside from that, yeah, people should actually read more examples of a LN before condemning them all....you telling me Iriya no Sora is generic otaku-pandering stuff? Or Hime no Miko? Or Utsuro no Hako? Or screw it....even a shounen fantasy like Itsuten?

Two of those aren't even getting animated in the forseeable future....
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:50   Link #1207
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post

Let's talk about Aria's hair. A sidemounted setup, it's one of the strangest hair accessories I have ever seen (triangles).
I love 'em!! XD They look like cute little cat ears or demon horns or something!!
*pokes them :3*
Ow....Aria-chan bit me. D:

Quote:
And it's a blinding pink color. I would also like to bring into question her hairpin: funny that a girl who doesn't want to think about love has a heart shaped pin on her head
Again, love it. There's nothing about Aria's design I don't love! Also noticed the pin. Lol she says "love is worthless" yet she goes around with a heart pin. LOL LOL IRONY.

Quote:
There's nothing blonde about her hair in artwork.
Actually it looks blondish here. *me grabs signature I made for Liddo-kun's forum*



Though the colors for the whole sequence there are distorted....^^;
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:53   Link #1208
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Let's talk about Aria's hair. A sidemounted setup, it's one of the strangest hair accessories I have ever seen (triangles).
Never saw the hair accessory since I was too busy watching all the gun shooting whenever Aria showed up. But after looking at Chiibi's signature, I finally noticed they may be strange but they defiantly do fit in
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: RRW
Signature from: TheEroKing
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:53   Link #1209
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
This whole Butei mercenaries system so reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 and the SeeDs.
I didn't really think about it, but you have a good point here. Really this is the perfect setting for someone to pull out a gunblade .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:12   Link #1210
recover
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
i also love aria's design b/c she resembles takagi from highschool of the dead

recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:25   Link #1211
mangatron
Gyanko <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
i also love aria's design b/c she resembles takagi from highschool of the dead



I knew my joke of a grown up Aria was going to bite me in the ass, you just reminded me of how she would look

Ahem really though, the fun part about Aria's triangles is that sometimes it kinda looks like it's growing out of her head
__________________

It's a wonderful view.
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:32   Link #1212
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
I knew my joke of a grown up Aria was going to bite me in the ass, you just reminded me of how she would look
Grown up? They're both in high school right? So they should be the same age. (Or close to it.)

It's pretty much like looking at the exact same character aside from breast size and presence of glasses.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:48   Link #1213
recover
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
and they are both tsunderes.... <3
recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:51   Link #1214
mangatron
Gyanko <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Yeah there's that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Grown up? They're both in high school right? So they should be the same age. (Or close to it.)

It's pretty much like looking at the exact same character aside from breast size and presence of glasses.

I'm mostly referring to the height and breasts Aria can't stay tiny forever! She gots to grow up too! It would look so criminal for me
__________________

It's a wonderful view.
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 01:39   Link #1215
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Yeah there's that too




I'm mostly referring to the height and breasts Aria can't stay tiny forever! She gots to grow up too! It would look so criminal for me
But if she doesn't stay tiny who's Riko going to annoy...
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 01:44   Link #1216
recover
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
when she was going up and down in the box to tighten her skirt

2 dam cute

recover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 01:53   Link #1217
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Yeah there's that too




I'm mostly referring to the height and breasts Aria can't stay tiny forever! She gots to grow up too! It would look so criminal for me
She's short, flat, and pinked haired. Chances of her growing aren't good.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 01:59   Link #1218
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Kinji carries a M92F Beretta that is modified to have full auto. However, a byproduct of the modification is a malfunctionin 3-burst function. Instead of repeatedly firing 3 bullets, it fires 2 at nearly the same time.

That's the malfunction ^^ The 3-burst isn't useless.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 02:02   Link #1219
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Nitpick but there's actually reason to why Hobbits are used for the Ring journey...

Aside from that, yeah, people should actually read more examples of a LN before condemning them all....you telling me Iriya no Sora is generic otaku-pandering stuff? Or Hime no Miko? Or Utsuro no Hako? Or screw it....even a shounen fantasy like Itsuten?

Two of those aren't even getting animated in the forseeable future....
Hahaha, I know there's a reason why Hobbits are used, but that's also the reason given in the world setting right? Logically, shouldn't it be better to give it to a better qualified person to do the job like our wise wizard or heroic king descendant? After all, hobbits has fallen to the temptation of the ring once too.

I'm not trying to pander LoTR, or other literature in that matter. I just would like to point out, even in those literature, we were given the reason of why things happen by the author, and then we rationalize it to make it more "logical". It's the same in this series. First, we were given a reason why butei school is established, and why they're given permission to carry gun, and then along with the story, we'll be given the detail of that why and we're expected to rationalize it to make it look "logical". Some people could accept that rationalization and think that it make sense, while some will think it's too far-fetched(and this happen in western sci-fi literature too. Look at star wars and star-trek and the discussion concerning those two about how "illogical" and "unscientific" the setting in those two are, and yet those two are still a hit), but it's still not a good idea to argue that the silliness of the setting of the story make the story itself crap.

This is a fiction work, set in a fictional land which just happened to be similar to our world. It's supposed to be illogical. If you want something logical, try to watch the more drama-like anime set in modern Japanese world instead of action anime like this one. The only way to see if this will turn out to be a good series or not is look at how the story will unfold instead of the settings, and considering we're still in the 1st episode, there's no way we can do that currently(not speaking from the perspective of LN reader).
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 02:06   Link #1220
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Hahaha, I know there's a reason why Hobbits are used, but that's also the reason given in the world setting right? Logically, shouldn't it be better to give it to a better qualified person to do the job like our wise wizard or heroic king descendant? After all, hobbits has fallen to the temptation of the ring once too.

I'm not trying to pander LoTR, or other literature in that matter. I just would like to point out, even in those literature, we were given the reason of why things happen by the author, and then we rationalize it to make it more "logical". It's the same in this series. First, we were given a reason why butei school is established, and why they're given permission to carry gun, and then along with the story, we'll be given the detail of that why and we're expected to rationalize it to make it look "logical". Some people could accept that rationalization and think that it make sense, while some will think it's too far-fetched(and this happen in western sci-fi literature too. Look at star wars and star-trek and the discussion concerning those two about how "illogical" and "unscientific" the setting in those two are, and yet those two are still a hit), but it's still not a good idea to argue that the silliness of the setting of the story make the story itself crap.

This is a fiction work, set in a fictional land which just happened to be similar to our world. It's supposed to be illogical. If you want something logical, try to watch the more drama-like anime set in modern Japanese world instead of action anime like this one. The only way to see if this will turn out to be a good series or not is look at how the story will unfold instead of the settings, and considering we're still in the 1st episode, there's no way we can do that currently(not speaking from the perspective of LN reader).
Ah...with Hobbits it was a literary device about how the tiny nobodies would be the ones to bring about great change and the like. Which come to think of it really, logical or not, they are all literary devices. Just depends whther you like the presentation or not.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.