AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 20 24.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 32.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 22.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 13.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-21, 23:34   Link #61
jenthehen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When Ritsu annoyed Mio (instead of doing her homework)... I was positive we'd see little demonic figures in the text (ref Ichigo M.).

edit (who's on first): never gets old... though I've seen them do it with more energy in other instances.

Also... I was unaware Ritsu had a little sister.... and Ritsu reminds me a bit of a girl in my son's high school who just seemed to live for drumming.

Interesting tshirt Mio has on during the flashback (a skull?? Mio?? )

I think Ritsu has a little brother ... remember she went out shopping with him or something in the last episode of season 1 (the "love letter" episode)?
Old 2010-04-22, 01:26   Link #62
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezilled View Post
Expected in the preview: Maid Cafe
Got: Kyoto Field Trip

It's too early for this, but everything went better than I've expected. My personal favorite chapter will be animated at long last. In before they will visit KyoAni studio as a self-endorsement strategy.

As for the filler episode focusing on Ritsu, it's not bad but nowhere as enjoyable as episode 2. I really liked how Yui tried to motivate and filled her with love through 'communication', assisting the fact that she will set her heart out to the max whenever she has a certain task to achieve in her mind. Ritsu, on the other hand, learned a valuable lesson in respect for her passion in drums. Mugi had a moment on a latter which was quite nice, while Mio had time to compose a new song. Sweet.

It's quite sad that Azusa didn't stand out here, and she will be out of the group temporarily in the next episode.
Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All Girl Slice of Life Anime Episode Plot List

- Trip to Kyoto
- Summer class woes
- The girl working at a cafe
- Meeting of new students after a long break
- New Years
- Christmas
- Sleepovers
- Sports festival
- Beach episode
Yep...it's on there too. Now which ones haven't then done yet. Vexx?
Old 2010-04-22, 02:04   Link #63
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

A small part of my soul just died after you identified those cliches with slice of life series KS.
Old 2010-04-22, 05:37   Link #64
FENR1Sdesu
Chokinggu =A='

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezilled View Post
while Mio had time to compose a new song. Sweet.
While Yui, Ritsu, Azusa were nomnomnom-ing on snacks with faces like Haruhi-chan XD

Spoiler:
Old 2010-04-22, 10:15   Link #65
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Sawako legs in this ep was simply delicious. The Ritsu breakdown was sort of funny, but not that interesting for me. A stable ep, but need moar legs.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
Old 2010-04-22, 10:34   Link #66
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

What kind of honey is Mugi referring to? Is it the sticky, viscous.....*gets punched*

And Azunyan!! Is she the only one who looks so cute yet serious?

Spoiler for And lol @ next episode:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:57   Link #67
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

This week on K-ON!!
- I comically redub the whole episode using Metalocalypse voices! (No, not really. Just seeing if you were awake.)
- TURTLE-MANIA! (Okay, not really. We don't see the turtle again after the teaser.)
- Ritsu goes through a midlife attention-seeking crisis!
- Sawako goes through a midlife attention-seeking crisis!
- Mugi and Yui reveal they were abducted by the aliens from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- Yui gains +3 EXP stealin' Nodoka's foods.
- Yui causes Mio to experience a HCF error! (For those of you young'uns not in the computer field, this is "Halt and Catch Fire.")
- Yui gains +10 EXP drummin' Ui's dishes.
- Mugi reveals her inner songwriter!

What to say about this episode? I LOL'ed IRL. Yeah, that about sums it up. As usual, Yui's ideas are almost uniformly bad, but her heart is in the right place. Ritsu's single-episode meltdown, surprisingly, didn't feel forced. Sawako proves that, just because you've become physically mature doesn't prove that you've got mental maturity.

The artwork and animation continue to be quite good. All and all, fun episode.

8 families of white dolphins behind Mio out of 10.
Old 2010-04-22, 11:42   Link #68
yakumo-chan

Mugi in first place was supposed to be in choir club.... no wonder she could sing ^_^
Old 2010-04-22, 12:26   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Hmmmm...

Yep...it's on there too. Now which ones haven't then done yet. Vexx?
They've been to a private onsen (Mugi's) but they haven't been to a big public one. They're also going to Kyoto (very traditional) for the field trip as the preview notes. Ritsu is also channeling Miu(Ichigo Masimaro) even more (I was actually hoping for little devil icons in Ritsu's texting torment of Mio).

Seriously, the only "original" thing here is that they're in a high school band - so its like the 2000th production of a 3000 year old Greek play with modern interpretations. The question is - does the execution entertain you?

For me, K-On started off a bit roughly last season (was expecting a lot more music and music video) but they seem to be "doing the usual stuff" but with their own particular way as driven by the personality mix.

Is it "as good as Azumanga Daioh" or (insert your first favorite 'cute girls doing funny things' daily life series)? Hard for me to say because the music injection biases me towards it. Azumanga had moments of derail, fail, and pacing as well so coming "first" (it had precedents as well) helps. I have a rather large collection of such series.. well, mostly because it hits that "nostalgia for things that never were" button. Some things are always good, like another cup of hot green tea or rewatching "Who's on First?"

At this point.... I think the execution of the series is *better* than Lucky*Star but mostly because Lucky*Star derailed away from the source material so often (L*S dove into Paniponidash land, except that PPD came with inside reference gags in the source material - most of the L*S sidetracks were anime-only injections, some good some bad).

What will fascinate me is if the K-On! manga continues the story into and through college -- THAT would be unusual (though it seems Lucky*Star is dabbling in the idea in the manga, though also bringing up the younger characters as well). Having the series carry through til the girls "make it big" would be unusual.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-22 at 13:07.
Old 2010-04-22, 12:33   Link #70
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I honestly don't think this needed an episode by itself. Maybe if they integrated something else - preferably involving the other girls in the class. Gets a 1+ from average since we finally get new music and the 'mugs gets to be the vocalist. The title of the song is awful, though.

Ah, since they have a turtle now I'm wondering if they will obtain a rabbit any time soon.
Old 2010-04-22, 13:17   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There seems to be a lot of effort going into individualizing other members of the class - I don't know if that's just KyoA OCD at work or what. Liking it because it provides the series with the film medium illusion that the band doesn't just live in a totally isolated bubble.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-04-23 at 04:06. Reason: please keep manga spoilers, even if minor, outside of anime only threads
Old 2010-04-22, 13:32   Link #72
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I'm enjoying the fleshing out of the rest of the girls' class as well. It gives things more of a realistic, down-to-earth feel. Most shows of any genre focus on the main characters to the utter exclusion of the entire rest of the world. It adds a flair to the series that I find entertaining and refreshing, though I'll bet the moe fanatics are having fits because of it.
Old 2010-04-22, 16:02   Link #73
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I think it's just sad that this show needs to use filler to as an opportunity to actual give a character depth or even a backstory.
Keep in mind that part of this is because K-On! is based on a 4koma title, which means most of the panel space is used for jokes rather than character development. Hence, if a 4koma based show is going to have straight-forward episodes, then "filler" is going to be needed to help tell the story.

The best example I have for this is Azumanga Daioh, the show that was the pioneer was "slice of life" titles based on 4koma mangas. While a lot of the show's humor was there in the manga, the anime writers also added some additional material to flesh out the characters and add to some of the charm that made the show so great. The end result: one of the best comedy anime titles of all time.

Hence, while filler will definitely be expected this season of K-On!, it's being done to complete the tasks that couldn't be completed through a 4koma comic.
Old 2010-04-22, 17:27   Link #74
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mugi-chan became a fan of Kraftwerk, with a talking-instrument fandom like that!

Although, if someone gets her a Sound Wave toy, there might be trouble...
Old 2010-04-22, 17:49   Link #75
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

i don't know about everyone else, but I found this episode rather disappointing. The only good part was when Mugi played honey sweet teatime.
Old 2010-04-22, 18:57   Link #76
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
As always, it still enjoyed it even though Ritsu isn't my favorite character, she finally remembered why she played the drums... Beside the turtle part, I find that Ritsu playing with the keyboard really funny... and sparked new ideas for song... Ritsu... you are a genius!

I still wonder how the song will turn out next episode...

Rating: 8.4/10
Old 2010-04-23, 11:54   Link #77
wingman32x

Very good episode. I loved Mio's reason for playing the bass. I used to hate Ritsu in season 1, but she's growing on me. She's been pretty funny in almost every episode. Anyway, great episode. I give it a 9/10. On a side note, Azu-nyan is so damn cute. Can't get enough of her lol.
Old 2010-04-23, 12:03   Link #78
coderlan
Student

Is it just me or the drawing quality is drowning? Their eyes are always out of balance and low in detail than in earlier episodes...
Old 2010-04-23, 13:44   Link #79
OkamiNoKaze

I rather liked this episode, it was very funny. I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking of The Who, Slappy Squirrel joke, it would have been hilarious. As for the class picture, I thought that one girl was just not wearing her blazer, could be a white sweater though. I must have missed the joke though with Miss Sawako at the end, on why she was wearing the mask.

Quote:
I comically redub the whole episode using Metalocalypse voices!
It may have been a joke, but I endorse this idea. it would be hilarious. Personally I would use the previous episode, and use clips from the first episode of Metalocalpse
Old 2010-04-23, 15:19   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They don't actually show it in the manga either... but I'm guessing she put on some "youth cream" that broke her face out in massive zits.

And yeah, the "Who" moment could have easily been made into a classic moment of "western manzai". I'll bet the writers were simply unfamiliar with that incarnation of the gag.
Closed Thread