AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2015-06-26, 13:02   Link #781
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Gintama is a fucking comedy, I don't know why you expect and much less want major characters to die. The death of a character like Kondou would destroy the series. It's a line you can't uncross.
Old 2015-06-26, 13:21   Link #782
Hiyono

It's not that I want Kondou to die but that I hate the literary device where authors intentionally imply a death that clearly never happened. If you're going to do it, do it; otherwise, don't.
Old 2015-06-26, 17:55   Link #783
Peanutbutter

I'm suddenly reminded of the boy who cried wolf. Remember what happened after the boy cried the third time?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 01:37   Link #784
BPD Renegade

"There are some things you have to protect, no matter whose corpse you have to step over."

Shit. Gintoki just stepped over Kondo's corpse.
Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Gintama is a fucking comedy, I don't know why you expect and much less want major characters to die. The death of a character like Kondou would destroy the series. It's a line you can't uncross.
A lot of the fear/expectation is probably because if this is leading up to the last arc, the line won't need to be uncrossed.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-28, 22:00   Link #785
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Well, if they're going to go by history....
Spoiler:
Old 2015-06-29, 16:54   Link #786
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Spoiler:
Man, that would be some hardcore emotional tsunami if that happened. In other words, it will never happen. They're way too popular to die, popular charas do not die, they're immortal. xD
Old 2015-06-29, 17:30   Link #787
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Spoiler:
in that case pretty much the whole cast would have to go

Zura - illness,
Sakamoto - murder
Takashi - illness.
Old 2015-06-29, 19:19   Link #788
Hiyono

Because Gintama has been so careful about being true to historical events.
Old 2015-06-29, 19:43   Link #789
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

not that i think sorachi will kill any of the main cast but he does seems to use historical event as a sort of guide post.
Old 2015-07-01, 00:38   Link #790
BPD Renegade

What Xellos said. Gintama's more like historical fiction in a sci-fi setting. We've got some major events in history dropped here and there to sort of tell us about where we're at in history, but they're mostly twisted and warped in respect to the setting. If it were to follow history, then Takasugi would probably be one of the "good" (as much as we can use good/bad in describing history) guys, since he worked towards ushering in the Meiji Restoration, opposing the Shinsengumi, who were on the side of the Shogunate. I.e., the Shinsengumi were on Nobunobu's side in history.

Right now, we're somewhere in late 1866 when Tokugawa Yoshinobu took office, so if Sorachi is going to go through historical life-death cycles, then people are going to start dropping like flies soon.

1867:
May 17: Takasugi dies of TB (age 28)
Dec. 10: Sakamoto gets offed (age 31)
1868:
Feb 6: Yamazaki dies of injury (age mid 20's)
May 17: Kondo accused for Sakamoto's murder, beheaded (age 33)
July 19: Okita dies of TB (age mid 20's)
1869:
June 20: Hijikata dies in combat (age 34)

I included the ages because damn these people died young.

Nagakura Shinpachi, who Shinpachi's glasses stand was based on, was one of the few Shinsengumi members who lived on to a ripe old age.

Another fun (or not so fun) fact is that Yoshida Shoin died on Nov. 21, 1859 (age 29), which if we use as a reference, would make it seven years prior to current Gintama events. So assuming the Gin-Zura-Taka trio are around the same age in the manga, and taking Takasugi's historical age as an upper limit, Shouyo died when the trio were twenty, younger if the trio's current age range is in their mid-twenties and not their late twenties.

I've always wanted to make a timeline for Gintama, but it takes so much damn effort since Sorachi screws around with the ages and dates. (Case in point, Matsudaira Katamori, the guy who the old geezer Matsudaira is based on? In history is younger than Kondo and Hijikata.)

(Also, DAMN YOU BROWSER FOR WIPING OUT HALF THE STUFF I TYPED!)

Last edited by BPD Renegade; 2015-07-01 at 00:51.
Old Yesterday, 08:42   Link #791
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for ch 548:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:41   Link #792
ACertainStark
魔法少女

Spoiler for 548:
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20   Link #793
BPD Renegade

Scanlation's out.

I thought we were headed towards our safe ending route, visualizing how with this ending, things might be able to go back to relatively normal Gintama and the cracks at Kondo that could be made if his facial scar becomes permanent ("Gorilla author trying to make the Gorilla badass").

But then robo-Shouyo showed up, and well, shit. Nevermind. This death is probably the real deal now. Second recurring character to die.
Old Today, 06:50   Link #794
OH&S
NT13 Anticipation Phase..

Barely a chapter passes and we're dealt with another possible character death. Is it "for reals" this time? Maybe; its not as if Oboro is gonna be there to be cut down a second time.

The real question is if Nobume will die with Sasaki.
Old Today, 09:35   Link #795
The One Above God
Kamijou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Barely a chapter passes and we're dealt with another possible character death. Is it "for reals" this time? Maybe; its not as if Oboro is gonna be there to be cut down a second time.

The real question is if Nobume will die with Sasaki.
Hopefully not. I'd like to see more of her doughnut quirks.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:43   Link #796
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It does look like this is the end of the road for Sasaki this time. You never know though, Gorilla might pull out a save at the last minute.
Old Today, 11:50   Link #797
ACertainStark
魔法少女

I doubt it. In retrospect, death was coming to him ever since he revealed his true intentions and instead Nobume living on makes sense. It could be another fake, but that last page seems to set it up differently...
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote