AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-18, 00:36   Link #481
CWW
Lurker

Ayako's is so much better it's unreal. The punchlines actually made sense. Good translators are hard to come by...
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 01:25   Link #482
kobun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Which subs did you watch? The one I watched was from TZM which had good subs. Only reason I DL their sub and not Arc sub is because they released 720p vid.
i heard their is no real hd version.. its 480p upscaled.... you can actually see the difference if you compare the 720p vs 480p versions...
kobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 04:14   Link #483
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

"Heko heko heko heko."
"Onii-chan."
"We're brother and sister. Incest is wrong!"
xDDDDDD

Shino still eagerly wanting to see Tsuda's naked body. I envy Tsuda pretending to be Aria's husband. What a lucky/unlucky guy

Trap + Ponytail + Mini-skirt + Stockings = Deadly Combo
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 05:18   Link #484
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Feng View Post
I envy Tsuda pretending to be Aria's husband. What a lucky/unlucky guy
Suzu was pretty adorable as their child. And I guess you're right, Tsuda is both lucky and unlucky. This episode showed he actually has an interest in the girls (Aria in particular, it seems to me), too bad reality doesn't exactly match his fantasies

I loved this episode, so many funny jokes (and not just perverted ones) I have a hard time deciding which one was my favorite. Suzu's day at the beach certainly didn't disappoint, all the jokes I imagined were there, and more. I sometimes feel sorry for her.
Old 2010-08-18, 05:59   Link #485
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

More Shino X Tsuda

This episode was good. Had fun see Shino falling off the dolphin so many times till she fed up with it and also lolol Suzu as a child in a make-believe family plus that particular scene where the camera suddenly shift up to her head in the bath. Ah, Suzu always get mistaken as a child never gets old in my book

by the way, can anyone please do a gifs of Shino riding the dolphin. So cute and um well ya..
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 10:12   Link #486
HandofFate

I don't get the beer scene very well.

So she proclaims her desire for some ice cold beer.
then decides to go to the bathroom.

but her peeing reminds her more of beer, so she just caves in?
Old 2010-08-18, 10:53   Link #487
passin'gass
Cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarciisFyer View Post
Yeah, arc sub is the one I'm referring too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Ayako's is so much better it's unreal. The punchlines actually made sense. Good translators are hard to come by...
That arc-sub? Even the v2? DELETED!!! So it was the chastity belt that fell to the floor! Ayako, you have my loyalty

Just noticed that they used Tsuda's jazz music again.
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 11:11   Link #488
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

^Yeah.

It was pretty obvious it was her chastity belt, but now we know Aria's joke about sinking in the sea, made it all the better.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 11:19   Link #489
GDB

Wow, so glad I didn't bother with arc's version. Went with TMZ, and while Ayako's is better, TZM's wasn't that bad. Just slightly more ambiguous on some jokes than Ayako's "right in your face" version.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 12:12   Link #490
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

still LOVE the Camera scene!!

god she was like a preofessional hit woman well for a few seconds that is >_<
Old 2010-08-18, 12:46   Link #491
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

My funniest moment was when Hata was hinting at buying her a drink as a bribe to keep her quiet. This tight version of Arai Satomi's voice can be hilarious.

I really find Shino an attractive character. The combination of her strength and lewdness with that open, naive feeling is great. Kudos to Hikasa Youko for making the voice support and enrich the image.

And yes, excellent sub from Ayako. It's so wonderful when all the jokes make sense. Without, as far as I could tell, making things up, lol. But I sympathize with the other groups. Not an easy show to translate.

The dry, understated humor of this show is right up my alley. Especially when it's understatement of things that are so extreme, lol.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 12:48   Link #492
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Probably one of the more unique "beach+inn" executions I've seen in anime.

Quote:
But I sympathize with the other groups. Not an easy show to translate.
Perhaps if they were less interested in speed and a bit more interested with results? There's nothing wrong with taking a day to do some research.

@Kaoru --- thanks for the voice acting links.... always reliable and informative. The voice work in this series is very entertaining and interesting because some of it is unusual for the actresses.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 18:40   Link #493
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wow, so glad I didn't bother with arc's version. Went with TMZ, and while Ayako's is better, TZM's wasn't that bad. Just slightly more ambiguous on some jokes than Ayako's "right in your face" version.
TZM translation tend to be more literal while Ayako tends towards interpreting the jokes and spelling it out.

I personally prefer the TZM version as the dialogue in japanese is not that straightforward. It is mostly inferred and depends on the audience to be smart enough to get the meaning.

But I do agree with another poster that given the subtlety of some of the jokes, none of the groups consistently nail every joke.

Last edited by woodearth; 2010-08-18 at 18:53.
woodearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 18:43   Link #494
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

One thing I like about this show is that the jokes carry over from episode to episode it. Also something minor in one episode becomes a major one in another episode. It gives a sense of continuity to an otherwise gag-punchline show.

I also liked fact that almost nothing is sacred. Even little details like Shino's hair can be the topic of a joke.
Old 2010-08-18, 19:10   Link #495
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
I personally prefer the TZM version as the dialogue in japanese is not that straightforward. It is mostly inferred and depends on the audience to be smart enough to get the meaning.
I haven't watched TZM's version, but Arc-Subs' is a bit too literal to deduce the meaning. Observe:

Spoiler:
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 21:09   Link #496
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I haven't watched TZM's version, but Arc-Subs' is a bit too literal to deduce the meaning. Observe:

Spoiler:
I agree being too literal is not good either. Sometimes it is the word choice used in the translation. However I think adding words and concepts not in the original dialogue like the "Agnes Chan" bit swings too much in the other direction. I think it also comes down to personal preference (and maybe their level of understanding of japanese) as to which subbing style works best for the person.

Ultimately translating humor base on word play and double-entendre from another language is a tricky proposition especially when you are trying to be as concise as possible so that the subs could be read quickly and not be distraction to the action on the screen.
Old 2010-08-18, 21:13   Link #497
twasdfzxcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I don't get the beer scene very well.

So she proclaims her desire for some ice cold beer.
then decides to go to the bathroom.

but her peeing reminds her more of beer, so she just caves in?
Yeah... That's pretty much it.
twasdfzxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 23:44   Link #498
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Ultimately translating humor base on word play and double-entendre from another language is a tricky proposition especially when you are trying to be as concise as possible so that the subs could be read quickly and not be distraction to the action on the screen.
Hell, Shakespeare comes with footnotes because otherwise many modern folks wouldn't have a clue that they've just seen a piece of comedic humor unless they're up to speed on Middle English. Sometimes the Big Bang Theory could use a subtitle footnote because I'll be laughing when the 'mundanes' are going... "what? what was funny?"
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 00:23   Link #499
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
I'm surprised this anime can keep up with its constant "sexual" jokes and I can never seem to get tired of them.. Usually if a anime overuses one sort of joke to much, I would eventually get tired of the jokes, but the scenes + the jokes = win.

@technomo12
Quote:
still LOVE the Camera scene!!

god she was like a preofessional hit woman well for a few seconds that is >_<
I was surprised as well.. I thought she was going to do something really strange, well she did and we don't know what.. We will just have to wait, but oh snap the way she was just pointing that weapon of photography of hers is exactly like a hitman.

@GDB
Quote:
I can't tell the difference between the two versions I usually always catch the jokes whenever they occur, but that makes it so I cannot really tell the difference between them sadly.
Hooves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 01:25   Link #500
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I've been disappointed with sub groups for this series. Either they miss jokes that seem obvious given the context, translate something so literally it doesn't flow read as a joke anymore, or try to be comedians and put their own joke in instead of what was there. Been using raws and some dictionaries for the last few eps out of frustration .
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen