AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-17, 20:55   Link #1
Dzylon

Looking for hiragana only manga

Could anyone reference me any Japanese manga/anime utilizing only the kana...no or very minimal kanji would be ideal.

*learning Japanese, wanna master my kana and vocabulary before I begin kanji
Old 2011-03-17, 23:15   Link #2
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Shounen Jump manga and others targeted at a younger demographic (almost) always have hiragana readings next to the kanji they use.

The purely hiragana ones are most likely to be targeted at very young children; children's books.

However, the notion of learning vocabulary while not learning kanji is, to put it lightly, inefficient. Many Japanese words are homophones -- they sound the same, and therefore are written the same in hiragana. The Japanese distinguish them by the kanji, the slight pronunciation difference (which will go right over any non-native who's not fluent enough; moreover it does not exist in-text), and context (which is not always easy to grasp).

I'd suggest read the ones with kanji + hiragana readings (i.e. manga serialized in Jump, Shounen Gangan, etc., etc.). It's slower to read, but you're learning much more.

A good site to check out what manga is serialized in which magazine is Mangaupdates. Look for the magazines that are shounen or "younger" shoujo focused.
Old 2011-03-18, 15:32   Link #3
Dzylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Shounen Jump manga and others targeted at a younger demographic (almost) always have hiragana readings next to the kanji they use.

The purely hiragana ones are most likely to be targeted at very young children; children's books.

However, the notion of learning vocabulary while not learning kanji is, to put it lightly, inefficient. Many Japanese words are homophones -- they sound the same, and therefore are written the same in hiragana. The Japanese distinguish them by the kanji, the slight pronunciation difference (which will go right over any non-native who's not fluent enough; moreover it does not exist in-text), and context (which is not always easy to grasp).

I'd suggest read the ones with kanji + hiragana readings (i.e. manga serialized in Jump, Shounen Gangan, etc., etc.). It's slower to read, but you're learning much more.

A good site to check out what manga is serialized in which magazine is Mangaupdates. Look for the magazines that are shounen or "younger" shoujo focused.
Thanks. I'm actually 14, and learning Japanese because I want to finish the Spice and Wolf series.
Old 2011-03-18, 15:46   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzylon View Post
Thanks. I'm actually 14, and learning Japanese because I want to finish the Spice and Wolf series.
If you're talking about manga then I think (not 100% sure) it will have kanji without hiragana readings, because it's published for an older demographic. Getting familiar with basic kanji regularly used in fiction and conversations by reading other manga with hiragana readings will help somewhat.

If you're talking about light novels though...good luck. Light novels (+ any pure text mediums) are a lot harder to read through than manga, even if you somehow get your hands on an edition that add hiragana readings to the kanji. Though if you actually manage it, congrats, you've just leveled up your Japanese several times over.
Old 2011-03-18, 17:40   Link #5
Dzylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
If you're talking about manga then I think (not 100% sure) it will have kanji without hiragana readings, because it's published for an older demographic. Getting familiar with basic kanji regularly used in fiction and conversations by reading other manga with hiragana readings will help somewhat.

If you're talking about light novels though...good luck. Light novels (+ any pure text mediums) are a lot harder to read through than manga, even if you somehow get your hands on an edition that add hiragana readings to the kanji. Though if you actually manage it, congrats, you've just leveled up your Japanese several times over.
I was talking about the novels...
Whatever. I'm not in a rush. But what do you mean by a lot harder? More complex grammar?
Closed Thread