AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-05-08, 14:23   Link #1
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Increasing The Sign-in Time

Why can't i stay logged in for longer? On other forums i can still come back later in the day and still say signed in. Why not here? A technical limitation? People stealing others passwords too much? Or is there already someway you can do this?

It's especially a problem when I'm typing out a long response only to found out that I've been signed out already and by that time my post disappears.

This only happens sometimes and i always make sure to copy what i wrote but it's always a real annoyance on the minor occasion of when it does happen.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 14:57   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Currently the Session Timeout period is set to 15 minutes. The reason we have it is really for your own security, or at least for those who do not access the forum from their own private PC.

If you access the forum from school, Uni, Maid Cafe, Library, i.e. any location where access to the PC is not restricted to only you and no one else (24/7, 365 days in the year) then it is possible to forget to log out each time and every time you leave the PC. If the session never times out then it means someone can access your account, change the email address and password, spam the account, etc., etc.

This also applies to home PCs where, for example, a sibling can access (and edit) your personal account if you happen to go out, make a cup of coffee, answer the phone, etc.

For this reason we stick the default Session Timeout period of 15 minutes, which in most cases is long enough to make a post at least

Of course, this only applies if you haven't checked the "Remember Me" box during log-in (not that I only added this line after having read the following post by SeijiSensei ).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 14:57   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm logged in continuously. and my cookies expire at random times in the future, not fifteen minutes from now. Is that what happens when I check "remember me?"

I have a session cookie that expires at the end of the session (e.g., I close my browser, log out, etc.). It doesn't have a fifteen minute expiration either.
Old 2010-05-08, 15:53   Link #4
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Of course, this only applies if you haven't checked the "Remember Me" box during log-in (not that I only added this line after having read the following post by SeijiSensei ).
So the default timeout for those people who have checked remember me is not fifteen minutes? Am i getting that right?
Old 2010-05-08, 15:58   Link #5
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
So the default timeout for those people who have checked remember me is not fifteen minutes? Am i getting that right?
There is no timeout when you check the "Remember Me" box. The only way you'll be signed out is if your browser cookies are cleared.
Old 2010-05-08, 16:00   Link #6
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Ah ok thanks, I'll go with that option then.
Old 2010-05-08, 20:56   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll just underline xris's reminder that there are plenty of circumstances where you don't want to have the browser "remember" you. You obviously never want to do this on a public computer. On a shared computer, your browser cookies are usually associated with your personal user account, so if you log out before the next person logs in, that person can't steal your AS identity. If you just walk away from the computer without logging out, and you have "remember me" checked, anyone else can assume your identity and post here. Obviously that's not as bad as having someone steal your banking passwords, but it's important to develop a habit of thinking about your privacy each time you sign up for an online service.
Old 2010-05-08, 20:58   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

If you use a public computer to do anything, you should erase all of the browsers history before you leave it.