AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-26, 16:04   Link #581
Ithekro
Warning

Many boats make a fleet.
Old 2011-04-26, 16:06   Link #582
amatakamata
4koma and web manga fan

More images

And some crossover images.

Old 2011-04-26, 16:09   Link #583
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Many boats make a fleet.
True.

From one Californian to another, eh?
Old 2011-04-26, 16:54   Link #584
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
I don't know why, but for some reason I have found this series to be REALLY funny ... I can't tell you how many times I have literally laughed at loud at these eps so far!

But curiously it seems that amongst many of my fellow anime watchers I am the only one "in this boat".

Ah well....
Personally, I have no idea why I'm so neutral on this series. Most of the episodes elicit these responses at different moments:
1) oh, that's interesting.
2) nice execution
3) *smirk*
4) nothing
5) I wonder when the next Yotsubato is coming out?

Considering I found Paniponidash hilarious (which is the closest thing I can think of to Nichijou for surrealist random 4-koma comedy)... I'm actually stumped. And no, this isn't "like Lucky*Star" any more than Peanuts is like Zits. They're both comics, that's about it - wholly different feel.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 17:29   Link #585
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I have no idea why I'm so neutral on this series. Most of the episodes elicit these responses at different moments:

1) oh, that's interesting.
2) nice execution
3) *smirk*
4) nothing
5) I wonder when the next Yotsubato is coming out?

Considering I found Paniponidash hilarious (which is the closest thing I can think of to Nichijou for surrealist random 4-koma comedy)... I'm actually stumped. And no, this isn't "like Lucky*Star" any more than Peanuts is like Zits. They're both comics, that's about it - wholly different feel.
Heheheheh ... yeah ... good summary with "surrealist random 4-koma comedy"!

Well, maybe that's one of the "problems" in particular with surreal humor in the sense that it's hard to "standardize" an audience?

I guess it's hard enough with humor in general, but maybe with the particular twist surrealist humor goes from its even more difficult?

Hmm ... haven't thought about this particular angle of things, so am just thinking out loud.

Whatever the answer, for some reason Nichijou's strange humor works for me thus far, but I could easily see it not working for many people.
Old 2011-04-26, 17:43   Link #586
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You've forgot about Munto, but that's okay I'm sure most people and especially KyoAni want to forget about that. Seems like this is starting to slip down the preorder rankings already, definately not doing as well as Gintama (which is a lock for around 15k) which got solicited at the same time as this just about. In regards to sales for the Spring season it looks like falling behind Tiger & Bunny, Anohana, Hanasaku, Steins;gate, Gintama and shows like Ao no Exorcist have plenty of room to improve once they introduce the cast proper. Speaking of Munto it looks like this along with that will be the only two KyoAni shows not to get a subforum on AnimeSuki.
I just want to add to this conversation that if the otaku in Japan do consider Nichijou a huge disappointment that it could be potentially devastating to Kyoto Animation. It's not like they have much else to turn to if their core fanbase starts to lose interest, though I suppose they could try and drum up an emergency Haruhi season or something to tide them over to the K-On movie. Barring that a potential retooling of the Nichijou concept into something more like K-On midway through the season might help.

Staying the course though.....phew...dunno about that. Unless there's some character that has yet to be introduced or something that is guaranteed to appeal to their core otaku fanbase they could be in for a rough ride.

Oh and to clarify what Westlo is saying about pre-order rankings for other shows this season:

Quote:
Tiger and Bunny Blu-Ray Vol 1 is currently 12th on a downward trend (Vol 2 is currently 31st also downward)
Ano Hana Blu-Ray Vol 1 is currently 15th on an upward trend
Gintama' Blu-Ray Vol 1 is currently 38th on a downward trend
Nichijou Blu-Ray Vol is currently 60th on a downward trend
Hanasaku Iroha Blu-Ray Vol 1 is currently 65th on a downward trend
Steins;Gate Blu-Ray Vol 1 is currently 84th on a downward trend
Blue Exorcist is not among the top 100.
That basically puts Nichijou square in the middle of the pack which given it's hit or miss nature is probably not that unexpected at all really.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 17:57   Link #587
CrowKenobi

I think that it's too early to pull out the chicken little scenario.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 18:30   Link #588
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I think that it's too early to pull out the chicken little scenario.
I will admit to having been perplexed by their choices since the first season of Haruhi but obviously this isn't the thread for that speculation
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 20:20   Link #589
Gabrinius
Hic !

Send a message via MSN to Gabrinius
best scene of the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbDfRzS1I04

don't know why, but i have seen this scene 9000+ times and LOL
Old 2011-04-26, 20:33   Link #590
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Meh, either way, it looks like it'll at least sale around 6-8k BD/DVD if it doesn't pick up steam soon based off the rankings (it was just registered). Not a failure normally, but for KyoAni it'll be the first time they didn't produce a hit since FMP: The Second Raid.
There is another problem that this series is 2-cour. Sales can fall off easily after the first volume anyway.
Old 2011-04-26, 20:55   Link #591
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Well... the fourth episode didn't do anything for me. The testing thing was kind of funny, but just didn't hit the spot, I guess.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 21:37   Link #592
GreatTeacherKen

I thought the testing scene was amusing, just for the sheer what the? factor.

Mai is shaping to be my favorite character of this series, whether intentionally or not, she seems to have dedicated her life to trolling Yuuko.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 21:47   Link #593
brocko

Whoa, Nichijou is 2 cours? 24-26 episodes?

Well Yippee Ki Yay! Run for Joy!!

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 22:51   Link #594
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatakamata View Post
That's the right idea. A truce, unity, cooperation. Music makes the world go round.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 18:50   Link #595
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well... the fourth episode didn't do anything for me. The testing thing was kind of funny, but just didn't hit the spot, I guess.
Heheheh ... I roared with laughter through a lot of it, but it was the scene with the bird that made me laugh the loudest for some reason.
Old 2011-04-27, 19:03   Link #596
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)

^ Agree with this. If I wasn't bursting out laughing, then I was giving amused chuckles. The mom walking in on the kid with the mohawk and Sakamoto getting trolled by Hakase really had me rolling though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
There is another problem that this series is 2-cour. Sales can fall off easily after the first volume anyway.
True, but I think that Nichijou will have some decent stability since the people buying it are most likely not just buying it to put one volume on their shelves like some hits/classics such as K-ON!, Geass, or FMA, and it's not like the first volume is particularly cheap or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
That basically puts Nichijou square in the middle of the pack which given it's hit or miss nature is probably not that unexpected at all really.
Nichijou was just registered last Saturday unlike all the other shows, so it will likely keep falling. We'll have to wait until the next episode to see if the airings will bump the rankings up significantly. All the other shows have higher accumulative points as well, not to mention since Exorcist is a Nichigo show the majority of people who are planning to buy it won't start ordering until just a couple week before it goes on sale and Steins;Gate will probably go up in the rankings again once the first major plot twist is introduced.
Old 2011-04-27, 22:31   Link #597
typhonsentra

The only other KyoAni series since Haruhi to not get it's own forum was the one based off that one OVA they did way back in the day, what gives? I personally feel this is much funnier than Lucky Star was.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 23:00   Link #598
Ithekro
Warning

Might be because there isn't as much to discuss since the subject matter isn't controvertial, or that because the show's title is a common word that it is hard to find images and such for other discussion types. There will probably be a lot of reaction shots, crossover images, videos, and fanart out there really).

Also there are no highly moe` or attractive characters this time around...or not as many moe` characters at first (they are fitting in some with Sakurai-sensei, the gundere, Nano and Profressor, and I suppose Mai after that little yuri-like trolling). All the girls and women seem to be flatchested in the design, so no K-On's Mio or Haurhi's Mikuru types running around.
Old 2011-04-27, 23:33   Link #599
Midonin
Last Engage

What is a subforum but a collection of coding? Be it segmented or unsegmented, the same discussion can take place in any thread. What's most important about the series is the series itself, and on that, it continues to consistently deliver.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 00:27   Link #600
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

This series is 2-cour? Gonna be a fun ride then

I don't think Nichijou gonna be a big hit or something (unless more unexpected humour is coming up). But hopefully KyoANi get enough sales to sustain this level of production

No new series got a sub-forum yet anyway so i will keep hoping that it's not so unpopular as it looks

Tags
comedy, kyoto animation, shounen, slice of life