AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 131 64.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 20.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-29, 20:28   Link #161
klare

hmm... not sure why Kanade and Yuri never talk but instead kept fighting

anywhere it is a relieve to see the "original" Kanade is back
Old 2010-05-29, 20:30   Link #162
maplehurry

Quote:
Otanashi and Kanade are wrong.

They have no right to force people to behave the way they want. So what if they don't want to be "at peace" - as if that is something that truly exists anyway. Are the SSS not happy? Where they not enjoying their time at the lake, and feeding the NPC's?

So why now is forcing everyone to come to terms with their death so important? Naoi tried this and they stopped him but now when they want to do the same thing it's all ok? They still have no evidence of any 'after-afterlife' so for all they know disappearing is like dying again. No, disappearing IS like dying again, and who wants to die AGAIN?

Otanashi claims his "sacrifice" helped people, but really in the grand scheme of things, did he make any difference? People die, whether they get organ transplants or not, and here we have a group of people living eternally in bliss, never dying and he is trying to take this away from them!

If Otanashi wanted to do the "right thing" he would come out and tell them straight what he thinks. Instead he lies and intends to deceive and trick people into revealing their secrets, he might as well start calling himself God now.
It's no different than holding a concert only to steal meal tickets... except in the magnitude of the consequence maybe

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Otonashi's forcing people to behave the way he wants to yet, until I see how he does it. But yes, he's not being honest.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2010-05-29 at 20:41.
Old 2010-05-29, 20:33   Link #163
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
hmm... not sure why Kanade and Yuri never talk but instead kept fighting

anywhere it is a relieve to see the "original" Kanade is back
Actually in the book Yuri tried to get answers from Kanade, but her handsonic cause Yuri to believe she was an Angel. Then Yuri tricked Kanade to be the judge in the Chaa vs Yuri duel leading for Yuri to win. Then they all have tea together. I'm not sure what happens after since the rest was not translated but it seems like they can get along with each other fine.
Old 2010-05-29, 20:38   Link #164
raruku

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Coming from a person who has her as an avatar, it just looks like you don't like her being hated on, simply.
As for "logic"... Well, I won't bother to go into this, since it would be off-topic.

I don't like her... just because I don't like her! OH MY GOD, don't shoot me with that slingsho- GYAH!

such a brat.
Old 2010-05-29, 20:44   Link #165
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raruku View Post
such a brat.

------------------------

This episode sure is sure one of the turning point of the series. Now people start wondering how the creator is going to do this in four episodes and these next episodes will decide weather the character will be epic or not since it will show there past and reactions and motives.

I'm hoping they will do justice to the decent characters.

I hope they create OVAs
Old 2010-05-29, 20:49   Link #166
Wigwams

season 2 is a must!

they take out 1-3 guys, but then at the last episode yuri finally discovers otonashi's betrayal. and cliffhanger ending!
Old 2010-05-29, 20:49   Link #167
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I'm hoping they will do justice to the decent characters.

I hope they create OVAs
Me too, and I am fine with OVAs to cover some stuff, as long as we get better release "schedule" than hellsing, or bakemonogatari does .

Edit: Alternatively:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
season 2 is a must!

they take out 1-3 guys, but then at the last episode yuri finally discovers otonashi's betrayal. and cliffhanger ending!
So Angel Beats R2 next year then?
Old 2010-05-29, 22:25   Link #168
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

In case no one realized this, there is something of a stigma when it comes to volunteering to donate organs upon death.

It's a hotly discussed topic in Japan in regards to health care and the like, and one of the many reasons why children/adults who need to get transplants have to work so hard to go overseas to try their chances there.

So the fact that no one had signed it rung pretty true to what I've experienced in Japan.
Old 2010-05-29, 23:08   Link #169
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I guess Oyama would be the easiest one to fulfill his goals.

Tenshi: So you were going on about the date...
Oyama: Um.. umm....
*later*
Tenshi: I am satisfied with the date.
*Oyama disappears*
Otanoshi: ..... what kind of regret was that?

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
Old 2010-05-30, 00:49   Link #170
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
The best episode of all so far.

Wanted to point out I believe they have now mentioned the cause for his sister's death she needed an organ. I believe that is what it pointed out to.

When he asked for the pen I was wondering what he was going to do. I swear I thought he was going to stab himself in the head and ask them to eat his body 0_0 cross between a couple of shows and Tezuka works >.> But I realized Maeda wouldn't do it in that fashion XD

For the cards I found it a bit off that they all signed it. I know a few people who would never no matter what. Someone here mentioned he seemed like they were forced to sign it, hardly. As for everyone having a card he have it given out with our driver's license. It wouldn't be uncommon not to have one at all. I also discovered in reading that it was only since 1997 that it was enforced by law and the first transplant wasn't done until 1999.

As for the actual accident and where it happened would have a lot to do with how long it would have taken to discover them. If you have been to Japan depending on where the train is there are some pretty older places that still exist. Plus if it was the earthquake than probably they had more to deal with above ground and so forth.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2010-05-30 at 01:06.
Old 2010-05-30, 01:10   Link #171
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Wanted to point out I believe they have now mentioned the cause for his sister's death she needed an organ. I believe that is what it pointed out to.
Yea they did point that out for sure as the cause of her issues rather than some completely vague disease, and I thought for a minute he was going to have suffered regret in not giving his sister one of his organs, but I guess dying a donor let him not regret that.
Old 2010-05-30, 01:15   Link #172
PeaceableRook
Zugzwang

I cant help but wonder why people think it is so easy to rescue people stuck in an underground tunnel. Think about it this way, the tunnel seen in the episode has been either collapsed due to some sort of earthquake or simply shock from the train's derailment and collision. However since the opposing end was also collapsed it would appear to have been an earthquake. Multiple factors effect how long it would take to rescue people stuck underground in a railway tunnel, or mining tunnel. One being how stable the tunnel is, what obstacles may hinder the operation, and how fast one can get the proper tools to solve the problem, this amplified by the possibility (if it was an earthquake) of this earthquake causing damage to outlying roads slowing down the rescue team even further. This problem is similar to a slew of Mining accidents seen in the last year, many of which took around a week to get help to the survivors (of which only a handful usually survive). Using a drill probably wouldn't work as most underground tunnels go through mountains, meaning the ground above is too steep to mount a drilling platform. Simply bulldozing one's way through could also cause trouble as too much shock to an already weak tunnel will cause it to collapse.
Secondly the idea that doctors wont help you as-well if you have the organ donor section of your card checked yes, should be the least of your worries. The idea is after your death you can be of help to people who genuinely need a organ donor, creating a myth about shadowy doctors kinda calls out your own selfishness. Simply if you are so worried about people who need help after you die why bother with semantics? If you want to help people check the donor box, if not then don't. I see more people make excuses as they "don't want to be cut up" after they die. Even though the procedure is simple and doesn't effect your face (really the only thing people will see at a funeral unless you are cremated instead).
The episode overall was solid, the flow of events for the train crash seemed a little cliche but fit very well with Otanashi's character. I would admit if I were a couple years younger I may have cried at this episode as it is a beautifully composed story, though frankly the abstract randomness leading up to this episode kinda throws me off. The music fit well during the flashback scene and the characters within in it seemed believable, especially the "WERE ALL DEAD!!!" freaked out character. Otanashi's wounds appeared to be a couple fractured ribs along with either a ruptured stomach or destroyed kidney, the area around it was also bruised heavily so simple scarring tissue could of killed him aswell. Overall the wounds appeared to have been lethal but only after a a week of degrading, though this may be attributed to his will to live. In many medical cases in which the patient is terminal, it comes down to their own will to live, that is unless the illness or injury intensifies.
Old 2010-05-30, 01:42   Link #173
zeth006

OMG!!!!

Spoiler for She talks!:
Old 2010-05-30, 01:47   Link #174
.:bliss
Nyuu~

Send a message via MSN to .:bliss
LOL. That part totally caught me off guard!
Old 2010-05-30, 01:57   Link #175
Crontica

Your signature catches me off guard.
Old 2010-05-30, 01:59   Link #176
sylviana
Aikawa Kizuna is PRETTY !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Me too, and I am fine with OVAs to cover some stuff, as long as we get better release "schedule" than hellsing, or bakemonogatari does .

Edit: Alternatively:

So Angel Beats R2 next year then?
i think......it will be.....Angel Beats! After Story......

Old 2010-05-30, 02:10   Link #177
zeth006

Spoiler for Just in case others haven't watched though IMO you shouldn't be here until you finish the episode anyway!:

BTW....Kanade moe...KAWAII!!!!! Can't get enough of it. So adorable!
Old 2010-05-30, 03:01   Link #178
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviana View Post
i think......it will be.....Angel Beats! After Story......
With a vocalised variation of one of the songs from the original series as the OP? XD
Old 2010-05-30, 03:57   Link #179
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
I hate to compare things but, why does it feel that this is going to end like Sola.

Spoiler for Sola:
Old 2010-05-30, 04:26   Link #180
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Otanashi and Kanade are wrong.

They have no right to force people to behave the way they want. So what if they don't want to be "at peace" - as if that is something that truly exists anyway. Are the SSS not happy? Where they not enjoying their time at the lake, and feeding the NPC's?

So why now is forcing everyone to come to terms with their death so important? Naoi tried this and they stopped him but now when they want to do the same thing it's all ok? They still have no evidence of any 'after-afterlife' so for all they know disappearing is like dying again. No, disappearing IS like dying again, and who wants to die AGAIN?

Otanashi claims his "sacrifice" helped people, but really in the grand scheme of things, did he make any difference? People die, whether they get organ transplants or not, and here we have a group of people living eternally in bliss, never dying and he is trying to take this away from them!

If Otanashi wanted to do the "right thing" he would come out and tell them straight what he thinks. Instead he lies and intends to deceive and trick people into revealing their secrets, he might as well start calling himself God now.
I actually hope Yuri or someone makes such a counter argument, but yeah, i have to agree with Kitten320 and Ice Block on this one.
Closed Thread