AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-31, 14:42   Link #61
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
When you compare the knowledge of Earth to the knowledge of space, you will definitely feel that space is more fascinating. We have plenty of concrete knowledge of earth which is extremely pragmatic, within our reach, and research conditions are all that possible. But to know even more about space, or even start a research there, is even more difficult. All that adds to the mystery.

An ocean lab is worth about 20 billion. The ISS is worth 160 billion. And there are alot more things and possibilities in space that we don't know. Besides there aren't many areas left on Earth to explore, not at least with borders and statehood and such.

As we continue strip mining the place we live in, it would be better to have a backup plan so we can live somewhere else.
Well, again, I think whether or not space is fascinating is a matter of personal preference. I certainly know that we can't live alone on Earth forever and that space has much more to offer in terms of freedom and exploration, but I personally find nothing interesting or fascinating about it.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 14:43   Link #62
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Asking if space is fascinating is really a matter of personal preference, and it depends on who you ask. I'm one of those people who doesn't find space all that fascinating. I'm more amused that we're so curious about it when we still have so many other things to explore on Earth, and problems on Earth that we haven't figured out how to at least calm down a bit.
And I'm one of the people who think humanity could reach to the stars if we weren't so focused on hate and war. I mean.. Come on now, is all this spitefulness necessary? An open channel is always nice to have between nations.

Space would be an excellent thing to do if we could stop being content on wiping ourselves out.

Do I think Alien life exist? Not in the traditional sense but yes, the world is large. The Universe is a grand scale. It's possible we are the only ones that 'exist' (sort to speak), but it's entirely possible Aliens actually do exist.

Are the more advanced? Wouldn't know. Would they come in peace if they were technologically stronger then us?... Oh yeah, they are just going to come to Earth and give us all their technology. They'd totally no-- awww, they blew up New York :<

To be more serious I think it'd be a two way street. Aliens wouldn't be aggressive if we weren't. But who knows? The possibilities are endless. It's actually rather exciting thinking about it.

(I just hope Zergs don't actually exist. *shudder*)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 14:46   Link #63
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post

Do I think Alien life exist? Not in the traditional sense but yes, the world is large. The Universe is a grand scale. It's possible we are the only ones that 'exist' (sort to speak), but it's entirely possible Aliens actually do exist.
What is the traditional sense?

This might be a bit OT because this isn't the religion thread, but when we talk about aliens, I always ask if people believe in God.

Because I think aliens have more of a chance of existing than God.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 14:58   Link #64
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Well, again, I think whether or not space is fascinating is a matter of personal preference. I certainly know that we can't live alone on Earth forever and that space has much more to offer in terms of freedom and exploration, but I personally find nothing interesting or fascinating about it.
Forgive for saying this, but your "personal preference" may be a little too....unscientifically substantiated. Newton got his ass kicked when Einstein came up with the theory of relativity and built on Maxwell's work. In short, Newton's Second Law, as well as his Law of Gravitation, does not work in actuality because mass MAY NOT be constant. It can change.

The gravitational constant in the calculation of gravitational force (F=GMm/r^2) MAY be a variable, because it is based on our heliocentric system. What if the system is surrounding a pulsar which mass fluctuates as its surface changes rapidly between energy and mass? Will there be a gravitational constant too?

By the way, the gravitational physics only work for bodies with sufficient detectable mass, like planets. On a smaller quantum scale, it may not apply, but rather, substantiated by electroweak or nuclear forces.

Also, the study of Physics has reached a point of saturation or hit stop. It cannot be continued with just the LHC, we have to go to space if we need more improvements and new discoveries. If we get stuck in physics, we get stuck in the other sciences within no time too. Like how quantum physics is required to explain the colours of chemicals (lattice field effect - promotion and demotion of electrons to different energy levels), we can't escape the fact that scientific development is slowing down alot.

And yeah, I am this annoying when it comes to discussing science.

@ C.A : Yes the brown dwarf is made of largely iron. Why iron? It has high binding energy, but yet energetically stable not to dissociate itself upon introduction of a neutron into its nucleus.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 14:59   Link #65
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
I hate the word 'aliens', I prefer extraterrestrial life. And its near impossible to have no extraterrestrial life in space.

And of course anyone can prefer to find anything fascinating or not. Its just in long term survival, those who don't like space or worse, prefer to stay on Earth will probably die out due to natural selection and cosmic disasters.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 15:00   Link #66
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Forgive for saying this, but your "personal preference" may be a little too....unscientifically substantiated. Newton got his ass kicked when Einstein came up with the theory of relativity and built on Maxwell's work. In short, Newton's Second Law, as well as his Law of Gravitation, does not work in actuality because mass MAY NOT be constant. It can change.

The gravitational constant in the calculation of gravitational force (F=GMm/r^2) MAY be a variable, because it is based on our heliocentric system. What if the system is surrounding a pulsar which mass fluctuates as its surface changes rapidly between energy and mass? Will there be a gravitational constant too?

By the way, the gravitational physics only work for bodies with sufficient detectable mass, like planets. On a smaller quantum scale, it may not apply, but rather, substantiated by electroweak or nuclear forces.

Also, the study of Physics has reached a point of saturation or hit stop. It cannot be continued with just the LHC, we have to go to space if we need more improvements and new discoveries. If we get stuck in physics, we get stuck in the other sciences within no time too. Like how quantum physics is required to explain the colours of chemicals (lattice field effect - promotion and demotion of electrons to different energy levels), we can't escape the fact that scientific development is slowing down alot.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to prove with this post. I never said that one was specifically better than the other; I just don't understand the interest in space or why it brings so much fascination for other people. I'm not someone who looks to the stars and wonders what's out there, and I'm not trying to prove a point. I do admit that I prefer Earth to space, but I'm not denying that there's more to be gained from possibly exploring space one day, provided we have the money and the urge for it.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 15:20   Link #67
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I hate the word 'aliens', I prefer extraterrestrial life. And its near impossible to have no extraterrestrial life in space.

And of course anyone can prefer to find anything fascinating or not. Its just in long term survival, those who don't like space or worse, prefer to stay on Earth will probably die out due to natural selection and cosmic disasters.
Let's use political correctness! Let's call them xenos!

I don't think the second part might be relevant for the earlier stages of Earth exploration. We still have got 4 billion years to go, and that is a long time. If there are diseases, the science would be advanced enough to cure them. If there are meteors, there will be weapons more powerful than nukes to blow them up.

The advancement of science will probably save us by then. So probably Earth will become a homebase where civilisation will expand from. Colonisation programmes will be held on Earth to populate planets, like in Mass Effect.

P.S It is 4am over here. Funny that you are still awake. No school tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to prove with this post. I never said that one was specifically better than the other; I just don't understand the interest in space or why it brings so much fascination for other people. I'm not someone who looks to the stars and wonders what's out there, and I'm not trying to prove a point. I do admit that I prefer Earth to space, but I'm not denying that there's more to be gained from possibly exploring space one day, provided we have the money and the urge for it.
I am trying neural resocialisation to make you more fascinated in space. J/king.

Nah I just interested in finding out why you find there is nothing interesting in space. It's awesome.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 17:18   Link #68
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nah I just interested in finding out why you find there is nothing interesting in space. It's awesome.
I think she has stated a few times already that it's not that she thinks nothing is interesting in space, but that she has no interest in it, personally. So there's nothing to find out, really, in the same way that there doesn't need to be a deep reason for people to take interest in it.

Quote:
And of course anyone can prefer to find anything fascinating or not. Its just in long term survival, those who don't like space or worse, prefer to stay on Earth will probably die out due to natural selection and cosmic disasters.
I always have to question this assumption. If you envision a human race that has continued to survive and evolve technologically at the constantly accelerate speed we are, I have to imagine that long before we reach a cosmic scale or what have you, mankind or its offshoots will have the power to move and preserve whole planets, and it seems likely that in such a situation, at least a significant faction within us would take the time to do that.
__________________
Ricky Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 17:38   Link #69
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
; I just don't understand the interest in space or why it brings so much fascination for other people.
See it that way, space is for the minds of many a frontier men have to cross for the next phase of expansion. It's an instinct built inside our DNA since our cavemen ancestors, this need to know what lies beyond the horizon, beyond the stars. But this kind of travel require a lot of preparation, and to know what's in space and how it works is required. Then the more we knows, the more it gets fascinating, but equally, staggering, scary and humbling.

This is not to say that whatever mysteries Earth still holds will not make us feel that way tho.


PS: The fields that interests me the most in astronomical sciences are the planetology and the planetary ecology, especially since Dune, Helliconia and Dragon's Egg.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 17:46   Link #70
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
It's an instinct built inside our DNA since our cavemen ancestors, this need to know what lies beyond the horizon, beyond the stars.
It's spiral power! Who the hell do you think we are!?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 18:55   Link #71
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
It's spiral power! Who the hell do you think we are!?
!

I had completely forgotten about that. There is spiral power to consider, Kamui, so everything you said about the problems of FTL travel are hereby nullified as we will explore space with the power of Tengen Toppa...Gurren Lagann! Ore o dare da to omotteyagaru speesu ekkusuporeshin!
__________________
Ricky Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 19:44   Link #72
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Actually that's an interesting proposition... If we kick logic to the curb, deep-space travel will be entirely possible.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 19:49   Link #73
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nah I just interested in finding out why you find there is nothing interesting in space. It's awesome.
I never said that there was nothing interesting in space, I said that I personally just don't find it interesting. I'm not denying that there are probably things out there that could take my breath away, but it's not enough to make me regard space as awesome or intriguing.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 19:58   Link #74
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles,California
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
i learned one thing from all this....if i ever have a question about rockets, nuke power. Ill ask Kamui4356.
__________________
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 23:17   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Floating rocks? Solid matter is extremely rare in space actually, 99% of known visible matter in space are gas.

And is life limited to floating rocks? Science don't think so nowadays.
I could have mentioned hot air, dust, liquids and everything else (that doesn't come to mind right now), but really that wasn't my point. To me its either a Terra like planet or its a piece of rock of living hell, where I have to go out in some diving suit or whatever. I understand your point of how X hegemony or federation or whatnot could profit from even the most ripe piece of hell but that means squat to the me. And the question as I read it was if I (as a individual) cared.

My answer still stands: its either a Terra or its a piece of dirt.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 23:47   Link #76
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I think space is both interesting and boring at the same time. Interesting because of the unknown and potential. Boring because the scale of things are just too big and long. In any case i don't think we will be able to leave our system in my lifetime anyway.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.