AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2010-06-02, 01:07   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 587 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

We've got ourselves some more flashback goodness this chapter! There's only some pics out, but they speak plenty for themselves:

-Chapter title is "I won't run away". The cover, interestingly enough, features Dragon and Ivankov.

-Bluejam tries to get Ace and Luffy to lead him to their treasure. When they refuse, the pirate captain says that he wants revenge against the nobles, and insults Sabo. Luffy bites one of the pirates restraining him, which makes the pirate angry enough to attempt to kill him. However, before the pirate's blow snuffs out the 7-year old's life, Ace shouts for them to lay off his brother, unleashing a most familiar force. Many of Bluejam's men fall unconscious, causing the confused pirate to attack Ace out of rage.....

-However, it's at this time that Dadan and her gang of bandits come to the boys' rescue! Luffy asks one of the bandits about Sabo's whereabouts, and he reassures him that his other brother is fine, though he's not at the trash mountain. Dadan orders for everyone to run away, but Ace refuses to do so. Luffy wants to run as well, but Dadan orders her men to take him to safety. Both her and Ace face off against Bluejam as the inferno continues to consume the Grey Terminal......

-Luffy later tries to search for Ace and Dadan, but the bandits stop him. He's told that the royal army is still busy "cleansing" the trash mountain, and Luffy could get killed if he goes there. Over at Grey Terminal's ruins, the army notices that there are less corpses then they expected, and assume that most of the people there were all burned to ashes. Meanwhile, we see Dragon at his ship, along with Ivankov and, interestingly enough, Bartholomew Kuma. Iva says he's surprised that Dragon's been keeping watch over such a remote area in East Blue, and asks him if it has any special meaning to him. Dragon replies that this nation represents the world's future, and that there's no joy in a world that rids itself of all unnecessary things. He then says that he'll change the world, and tells the survivors of the trash mountain that if they want to fight for freedom, then they're free to join with him......

-Later on, Sabo's father tells him that it's useless to keep trying to run away, and that he needs to learn to follow his adoptive brother Stelly's example, and make his parents proud that he was born. He then says that the World Nobles will arrive the next day. Sabo thinks of his two true brothers, and says that he can't stand to live in that den of inquity any longer. The next day is the ceremony of the World Nobles' arrival. However, the Goa nobles notice a small ship sailing out in the ocean. They also notice that a child, Sabo, is on the boat. The young noble boy says that it's the perfect day to set sail as he sets out for parts unknown.....

Wow, quite a chapter we've got here, huh? I can already imagine people wondering why we didn't see Ace use Haki at Marineford (though I personally think it wouldn't have made a difference against Akainu anyhow). It's also cool to see that Kuma was hanging out with Dragon during that time (wonder if he was a Shichibukai back then).....

I'm actually kinda surprised to see Sabo sailing off on his own instead of joining Dragon (though it's possible that he may join him anyway somewhere down the line....). BTW, anyone looking at the pics will notice that Sabo's pirate flag resembles the crossed-out S on Ace's tattoo, heh. BTW, seeing Dadan in action was great, too. Nice to see that she's warming up to the brats after all. Hmm, shouldn't be too much longer before the full chap is released.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 01:15   Link #2
james0246

Yeah, I'm about 85% convinced that Sabo will die next chapter or two...you don't just launch a pirate flag right in front of a Noble and not expect to be destroyed or enslaved...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 01:20   Link #3
marvelB

^Sadly, I kind of agree (not exactly with him dying, but him getting attacked). It would be especially bad if the world nobles were accompanied by a VA or something (I wonder if any of the current 3 admirals were still VAs during that time?).....

By the way, I'm about 110% certain that Ace and Dadan getting lost in the fire is what leads to that scene of Ace telling Luffy that he'd never die (which is coincidentally shown right at the moment Ace DOES die in the present time).....
Old 2010-06-02, 02:10   Link #4
Blaine

Kuma was with the revolutionary's? makes me wonder if he became a shichibuki so he could spy on the world govenment.
Old 2010-06-02, 02:56   Link #5
K. Shiruto

Eithe one of these developments is gonna happen:

1. Sabo is killed by the Celestial Dragons (unlikely, because those bastards like enslave pirates first).

2. Sabo is captured and enslaved, and since Luffy didn't know about the world nobles before, this probably will lead to him to believe Sabo died.

Last edited by K. Shiruto; 2010-06-02 at 03:11.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 04:36   Link #6
seiji_kun

Don't know how to feel about Ace releasing haki at such a young age. Can't say I like it all to much, it makes him look to imba to have it already done as a kid. It gives of the impression that he had more potential then Luffy though I guess when Luffy owns Akainu and a BB that's even stronger then he fought Ace and still being younger then when Ace fought BB will wipe away that thought completely.

Sabo, such a facepalm moment. Setting of with a pirate flag when he's a mere child. We've been shown enough bye now that being a pirate isn't a kids game and guess he's going to learn that lesson the hard way. His future is looking grim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
(I wonder if any of the current 3 admirals were still VAs during that time?)
I'd love it if it was Akainu and if he was the one that killed Sabo without Ace and Luffy knowing who killed Sabo exactly. That would make the bastard 2 for 2 with killing Luffy's brothers and would make him even more hated then he already is if that's even possible. Wishful thinking can be fun, to bad that's all it probably will be.
Old 2010-06-02, 09:35   Link #7
marvelB

....Y'know, I'm actually kinda surprised that I haven't seen MORE posts complaining about Ace's Haki burst (y'know, something along the lines of "ZOMG everyone and their mom uses haki now???"). We did actually get a hint that he knew about Haki when he saw Luffy's burst at Marineford (and really, how could he NOT know about it since joining Whitebeard's crew?). But as I said before, I doubt that he'd fare any better against Akainu if he used it against him anyhow, because he simply didn't have a very strong "ambition" to begin with (recall that he was all too willing to die until about halfway through the war). That, and the admiral is already quite the monster to begin with (I mean, even Whitebeard failed to take that guy down)......

Heh, since Sabo will most likely get attacked next chapter, I wonder if anyone besides me is predicting the possibility of Dragon saving him?
Old 2010-06-02, 09:48   Link #8
james0246

^
Quote:
Heh, since Sabo will most likely get attacked next chapter, I wonder if anyone besides me is predicting the possibility of Dragon saving him?
Yeah, this seems to be the best chance for Sabo's survival (or escaping slavery). But, Dragon appears to be keeping a low profile (for various reasons), and attacking the city/rescuing a silly boy doesn't seem like a reasonable way of keeping a low profile...
Old 2010-06-02, 09:52   Link #9
marvelB

^Of course, even though I said Dragon, it could also be one of his men who saves Sabo. Heck, if Kuma is there, shouldn't he be able to paw-paw the kid right out of a sticky situation?
Old 2010-06-02, 10:46   Link #10
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Haki burst at such a young age...i dun see whats wrong with that. Clearly he had no control over it...and at that age he was already alot more battle hardened than Luffy. So its pretty kool that he has it...it woulda been silly that the son of Roger didn't have it.

I guess we can we can say with a great deal of certainty that all the Top tier of the WB PIrates from Whitebeard to Vista all were Haki users..includin the late Thatch. No wonder these guys are so tough. To even have 1 haki user is impressive, but to have several of em..
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 11:57   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Eh, Dadan isn't so bad after all, though I sill think Garp's decision to have her raise his grandson was a very bad one. No complaints from me about Ace using haki.

Sabo, Sabo, Sabo... "perfect day to sail"? You couldn't be more wrong. And about Dragon saving him: isn't he already gone? It looks like he left on his Dragon ship after recruiting people from the Gray terminal.
Old 2010-06-02, 12:03   Link #12
james0246

Ace using Haki isn't the same as if he used Haōshoku Haki, so I see no reason to "complain" or comment on Ace having an ability that many figured he already had...
Old 2010-06-02, 12:35   Link #13
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Sabo has a death wish to be setting sail on a little boat all by himself. This certainly doesn't forebode well for him.

Nice to know that we now have full confirmation Kuma used to be a revolutionary. I wonder if Dragon was the one who made Kuma change his ways? Kuma used to be known as the "tyrant", since he was brutal beyond measure during his pirate days. Surely the revolutionary faction wouldn't allow someone like that to join their ranks, especially when their objective is to gain the trust of the people.

Ace knocking out fodder with a burst of haki seems to be a bit much. Luffy only started exhibiting such power when he was 17 (the present time), and yet here we have 10 year old Ace doing it. I'm cool with Ace having Haki, since like others have said, that was to be expected being the son of Roger and all. But at the age of 10? I dunno.
Old 2010-06-02, 12:52   Link #14
james0246

^Unless, Kuma became the "Tyrant" after his revolutionary days (this was a decade ago after all)...unless a more complete spoiler (that I obviously haven't seen) contridicts my claim .
Old 2010-06-02, 13:08   Link #15
Prestige

Full chapter should be out in just a hour or two so little patience wont hurt.
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 13:32   Link #16
K. Shiruto

Back when Luffy released his haki during Marineford's war, Ace said "you too..." This is like saying "you like me have the haki".

And take a good look at this:

Anyone here still believes Sabo being Luffy and Ace's brother came out of the blue, really?
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 14:01   Link #17
Kallen4life

I still have this weird theory that consuming a logia fruit blocks haki .. it's not based on anything really

wonder what'll happen to Sabo
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 14:06   Link #18
Paraden1989

Anyone here still believes Sabo being Luffy and Ace's brother came out of the blue, really?[/QUOTE]

what chapter did the jolly roger with the "S" come from?
Paraden1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 14:06   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post

Anyone here still believes Sabo being Luffy and Ace's brother came out of the blue, really?

I pointed out that very thing about Sabo's flag in my opening post (though it's true I didn't use the picture comparison). But yeah, this is probably Oda's way of telling us that Sabo didn't appear out of thin air.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Ace knocking out fodder with a burst of haki seems to be a bit much. Luffy only started exhibiting such power when he was 17 (the present time), and yet here we have 10 year old Ace doing it. I'm cool with Ace having Haki, since like others have said, that was to be expected being the son of Roger and all. But at the age of 10? I dunno.

If it's true that Mantra is a form of Haki, then a child being able to utilize it isn't far-fetched at all. I mean, isn't Aisa also around the same age as Ace was in this flashback? And despite that, she had a pretty good grip on Mantra. I'm also sure that the younger Kuja amazons would've already known how to manipulate Haki, as well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Ace using Haki isn't the same as if he used Haōshoku Haki, so I see no reason to "complain" or comment on Ace having an ability that many figured he already had...

I think the "overlord's ambition" IS the type that knocks people out, though. The only people shown capable of using it that way were confirmed to possess it, after all (well, maybe not Rayleigh, but 2 out of 3 makes for a pretty strong assumption, methinks). So it's a good bet that Ace also had Haoushoku Haki as well (not that it matters all that much now that he's dead)......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraden1989 View Post
what chapter did the jolly roger with the "S" come from?
Uh... THIS chapter.
Old 2010-06-02, 14:12   Link #20
Kallen4life

Rayleigh knocked out an auction house full of people ..

IMHO either Rayleigh has King's Haki too or his mastery is simply extremely advanced so he's able to stuff that should be doable by Kings Haki only

but that still poses problems - either how Ace had that mastery @ age 10 OR that he had Kings Haki too .. I have quite the problem with that latter one - it was never used by him, even to defend against a logia that was about to kill him/his brother .. and now he's dead meat .. this sucks

not to mention that would make 6 kings haki users, up from 4

or maybe any haki user can knock out fodder, Kings Haki just adds ~range and negates DFs even more (regular Hakis are merely 'annoying' to the admirals, but KH owned Akainu)

also, Rayleighs mastery then translates into singling out targets
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote