AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-12-16, 06:46   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 810 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.


Alrighty, it's summary time:

-Chapter title is something like "Swirly-Hats, landing". Ministory features Zeff and his gang at the Baratie.

-We get a full glimpse of Jack in his human form. Nekomamushi points out that Jack has eaten an ancient variant of the Zou Zou no Mi (elephant fruit, obviously). As they prepare to fight again, Jack pulls out an odd, sickle-shaped weapon. Nekomamushi picks up a spear, and his men - as well as the Heart pirates - start their next round against Jack's forces. As day breaks, they switch with Inuarashi's troops again.

-Sicilian says that the nonstop fighting lasted for five days. but while the minks were powerful enough to take care of Jack's forces, the captain himself proved to be a problem. Eventually, as the battle reached the fifth day, Jack brought out the poison gas weapon, which turned things around to his favor. The minks had to endure hellish torture, and the leaders Nekomamushi and Inuarashi had their left arm and left leg cut off, respectively. Thankfully, they were saved when, on the sixth day of the battle, the news of Doflamingo's defeat reached the island, thus prompting Jack to immediately set off for Dressrosa....

-Soon, the Swirly-Hats arrive. They're shocked by the destruction, and even discover traces of the poison gas. After coming across some fallen minks, one of them, named Pedro, calls out to them. He begs for them to help their leaders Inuarashi and Nekomamushi, who are gravely injured from the nonstop fighting. He says that no matter what, only those two mustn't be allowed to die. We then see the two leaders, who are attached to crucifixes.....!!!


Preview pic:

Spoiler for 810:

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-12-17 at 04:16.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 04:18   Link #2
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Okay, updated with the summary! Not the most eventful of chapters admittedly, but hey, at least it's a chapter, lol. Lovin' the design for human Jack, though!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 04:49   Link #3
Gilly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
I feel nothing for Jack even now that we've been shown his human form. Why are we, as readers, supposed to dislike him? Because he attacked a peaceful country? Because he tortured its leaders? While those are horrible things to do, it's hard to sympathize with Minks for some reason that I can't quite explain. I mean, we've seen a similar situation before: Doflamingo's attack on Dressrosa (another peaceful country) 10 years ago. He framed its ruler, deceived its citizens and took the throne as the new king, and we felt how despicable it was and hated Doflamingo for it. Jack's attack just doesn't cause the same reaction.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 06:33   Link #4
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
^ Really? I (almost) feel worse for the Minks.. I mean, Dressrossa was powerless, barely fought back, and were naive enough to believe their peaceful king turned evil. They threw themselves at Donflamingo like a bunch of cowards.
On the other hand, these Mink people fought for 5 days straight defending their homeland and had then gotten gassed and tortured while watching their leaders get crucified and lose their limbs.

I guess you're reasoning could be that it only lasted 5 days and not 10 years. Or maybe their designs make you feel less emotion towards them? Or maybe it's because there is no heroin to this story (like how Rebecca lost her mother). Just trying to think of the reason that you can't explain :P

Either way, I actually can't wait to see Jack go down someday. (I'm sure more coal will be added to the hate train eventually).
PixelCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 07:37   Link #5
Alpha Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Well, that was... brutal. Some times I'm glad One Piece is not a seinen.
Alpha Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:15   Link #6
Ultragunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
I feel nothing for Jack even now that we've been shown his human form. Why are we, as readers, supposed to dislike him? Because he attacked a peaceful country? Because he tortured its leaders? While those are horrible things to do, it's hard to sympathize with Minks for some reason that I can't quite explain. I mean, we've seen a similar situation before: Doflamingo's attack on Dressrosa (another peaceful country) 10 years ago. He framed its ruler, deceived its citizens and took the throne as the new king, and we felt how despicable it was and hated Doflamingo for it. Jack's attack just doesn't cause the same reaction.
Well, for me Jack is a total "jackass" (sorry, couldn't help it ), the way he insisted and kept on asking questions just looks plain idiotic and inefficient to me.

Yeah, I hate him because how stupidly hard-headed he is

P.S: from this chapter, is it confirmed that Jack was defeated (and killed) when he attempted to rescue Doffy?
__________________
Ultragunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:48   Link #7
Ravagerblade
The Fearless
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: "United" States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Well, for me Jack is a total "jackass" (sorry, couldn't help it ), the way he insisted and kept on asking questions just looks plain idiotic and inefficient to me.

Yeah, I hate him because how stupidly hard-headed he is

P.S: from this chapter, is it confirmed that Jack was defeated (and killed) when he attempted to rescue Doffy?
I wouldn't assume anything until true confirmation. Not just what the Minks believe.
Until we got a body. he's still out there.
__________________
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:51   Link #8
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
P.S: from this chapter, is it confirmed that Jack was defeated (and killed) when he attempted to rescue Doffy?
Defeated yes, going up against Sengoku, Fugitora, and Tsuru will end like that... but as the minks have mentioned they highly doubt he is really dead. He hasn't been captured, but most likely the conditions of his defeat has led the marines to believe he couldn't have survived. Its possible they think he could be dead because he was not only gravely wounded, but also fell into the sea and his ship sunk giving him know obvious way of being rescued... But he may have found a way, such as having a merman on the crew who could save him and carry him to shore.
__________________
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 12:01   Link #9
Alpha Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
He better not be. Being killed that way would be too much of a light punishment, this bastard deserves the worst of the worst after what he did in Zou.
Alpha Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 12:10   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I thought it was already known amongst the fanbase that ambiguity surrounding death in One Piece means the person in question most definitely survived. It's obvious Jack is still alive. Oda has been hyping him up way too much for him to be out of the game from here on out.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 12:11   Link #11
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I doubt Jack is dead, but I would like to see a flashback of his fight with the admirals nevertheless. His character design is pretty awesome and with the chopping of limbs and gassing he seems like quite the despicable villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I thought it was already known amongst the fanbase that ambiguity surrounding death in One Piece means the person in question most definitely survived. It's obvious Jack is still alive. Oda has been hyping him up way too much for him to be out of the game from here on out.
Even when Oda outrightly says someone is dead several times, like with Law, they could still be alive.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 14:34   Link #12
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Defeated yes, going up against Sengoku, Fugitora, and Tsuru will end like that... but as the minks have mentioned they highly doubt he is really dead. He hasn't been captured, but most likely the conditions of his defeat has led the marines to believe he couldn't have survived. Its possible they think he could be dead because he was not only gravely wounded, but also fell into the sea and his ship sunk giving him know obvious way of being rescued... But he may have found a way, such as having a merman on the crew who could save him and carry him to shore.
I missed this? Which chapter did this happen?

Also the silhouette a few chapters ago seems to match Jack a lot more than it matches Kaido
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 14:43   Link #13
Sebazu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelCreek View Post
^ Really? I (almost) feel worse for the Minks.. I mean, Dressrossa was powerless, barely fought back, and were naive enough to believe their peaceful king turned evil. They threw themselves at Donflamingo like a bunch of cowards.
In their defense a big part was probably how Doflamingo turned anyone who was against him into a toy, therefore making everyone forget them. Hard to hate a guy who everyone loves and seemingly never kills his subjects.
Sebazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 14:50   Link #14
P_Dezz
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Oda seems to have been inspired by Fist of The North Star on this arc.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 15:07   Link #15
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
I doubt Jack is dead. That would be a waste of a character. I do want to see his fight with the admirals though. It should be interesting to see how he held up against them.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 15:23   Link #16
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 23
I'm also glad that One Piece is not tragedy seinen manga or those defeat would be totally worse than what has been pictured here

now everything makes sense why StrawHat become a star... They beat Doflamingo, and Chopper cured the injured people
__________________
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 16:11   Link #17
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Y'know, i feel like i would have very much preferred that instead of getting these flashbacks, we instead started this arc from the point when Nami and Co first came upon the island. I just feel like seeing the minkmen all slaughtered like this without any knowledge of who did it would have been a lot more shocking. We would learn of Jack and then after the crew gets rid of the remaining Kaido pirates and the minkmen are saved, that's when we cut back to Luffy's group still on dressrosa... I also think learning what a monster Jack was would have made the idea of him going against the admirals more interesting.

Not to mention having a mini arc with Nami's group would have given them a chance to shine on their own after they got left out of the whole dressrosa arc. Oda could have even had Jack leave some powerful crew behind just to give the strawhats some tough enemies to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
I missed this? Which chapter did this happen?

Also the silhouette a few chapters ago seems to match Jack a lot more than it matches Kaido
Keep in mind I was speculating... All we know is that Jack attacked the marines(which included Sengoku, Fugitora and Tsuru) that were escorting Doflamingo and now he's been reported as dead.
__________________
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 18:30   Link #18
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
I like Jack's human form. His physique is no wonder why he's one of the top 3 officers of Kaidou. As for the "Swirly Hats", how are they different from the Strawhats besides the name?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 11:26   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 29
The minks are really impressive. They managed to hold out against one of Kaidou's top men, despite the fact he was getting constant reinforcement. Just not just that, it seems like they were gaining the upper hand before Jack used that dirty trick. They will make powerful allies for Luffy and co.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 13:07   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The minks are really impressive. They managed to hold out against one of Kaidou's top men, despite the fact he was getting constant reinforcement. Just not just that, it seems like they were gaining the upper hand before Jack used that dirty trick. They will make powerful allies for Luffy and co.
The minks had the advantage of being able to rotate shifts and start fresh every 12 hours. Jack's reinforcements just helped to level the playing field. But that could only last for so long, which is probably why Jack resorted to using the poison weapon to end things more efficiently. This is the New World and pirates we're talking about - there's no such thing as playing fair.

And even after 5 whole days of fighting, he still managed to sink 2 marine warships from Doflamingo's marine escort. Indeed, to call him a monster does him no justice.
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2015-12-18 at 13:18.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.