AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-08-03, 03:24   Link #361
ri0

Location: Where everything is dangerous - I'm starting to like this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Don't you think the fact that there WAS dust everywhere means that would have been the perfect cover for him to rescue his master from such a deadly trap, though?
The problems I have with Absalom saving him in this current situation are the following:
1. The dust. Of course, Absalom can turn everything he touches invisible too. But if he gets stained by objects such as water, blood or powder his position is revealed even if it's only for a short moment. To turn dust invisible must be even harder because there are so many particles one must alter. I thought of the scene in Hollow Man where Bacon is exposed by the vapor of water
2. Moria was bleeding as hell. The objects stop being invisble the moment they lose contact with Absalom. Someone had to notice that...
3. Their weight. Absalom alone comes in at 300kg, if I remember correctly. The sounds of their footsteps don't disappear (as do the footprints) and somebody should have noticed him sneaking to Moria and both of them getting away.

If Oda says it happened, it happened, but I have my doubts about it

Quote:
And like I said before, if Dofla's mastery of CoO is weak, then it's all the more fitting for Absalom to be Moria's savior.
I think so too. As an experienced fighter the first thing you'd do if someone vanishes in front of you is search for him with CoO to prepare for a suprise attack.

And Magin, I totally agree on your Coby statement!
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 21:37   Link #362
Undertaker

Quote:
Don't you think the fact that there WAS dust everywhere means that would have been the perfect cover for him to rescue his master from such a deadly trap, though? And like I said before, if Dofla's mastery of CoO is weak, then it's all the more fitting for Absalom to be Moria's savior.

And as far as the Straw-Hats' usage of haki is concerned..... while I do admit to being a little disappointed myself about the monster trio being the only ones to have awakened to their potential, it doesn't entirely surprise me, either. After all, Rayleigh told Luffy right from the beginning that not everyone is capable of awakening to their latent abilities no matter how many years they train. He even said that ordinarily 2 years wouldn't be long enough a time to train someone, as well:

Spoiler:

Still, I do believe myself that at least a couple members outside the monster trio have the potential, and may be able to awaken their latent powers during the course of the journey. After all, I can't help but think that observation haki would be more than fitting for Usopp.....

I guess, but that means that haki is now going to be used like Newtype flashes or SEED and I don't know if I would completely buy into that, at least in OP anyway.

It's hard to have them awaken haki now and be adapt to the point they can use it effectively during the endgame if BB's crew do end up as end game.

One thing I like about OP is that while there are plot devices they usually logical given the premises of world view and when they are not logical they don't effect the main plot. But this could potentially turn into a mess if not handle correctly, god knows there were enough stupid debates on Gear 2 and 3 when it first serviced...
Old 2013-08-08, 03:15   Link #363
ri0

Location: Where everything is dangerous - I'm starting to like this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
One thing I like about OP is that while there are plot devices they usually logical given the premises of world view and when they are not logical they don't effect the main plot.
That's exactly why I love that manga so much
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 21:01   Link #364
marvelB

Well, it's that time again! Volume 72 will be released soon, and there's already a few neat SBS leaks floating around! Obviously I'll post all the juicy info once it's available, but until then, here's a preview: GENDER-SWAPPED SUPERNOVAS!!

Can't comment on all the designs due to the pic's small size, but femme-Apoo is definitely my favorite of the bunch. Law looks a lot like Robin (well, I guess Apoo sorta does too, but y'know...... piano teeth). Hawkins looks.... odd, and Bonney basically looks like a fat Sanji....

Yeah, sorry the pic is small. I'll post a better image when one pops up. Still, this was a great surprise! Also, it looks like one of the questions is sent from more overseas fans from the AP community! Redon talked a bit about it over at the volume's thread:

Quote:
I sent the letter in the name of our spanish website Pirateking.es. We worked in the project a few weeks (our translator H-Samba did the job with Greg, CCC and Aohige help) and we sent the letter in June ^^

Quote:
"Somewhere in La Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, there´s a spanish-speaking community with more than 30,000 members.
Konochiwa, Oda-sensei!! I write you this letter as a representative of this community becouse we´ve realize that Dressrosa is based on Spain. Apart from the obvious cultural references, we´ve identified some buildings from the Kingdom of Spain. For example, the "Parc Guell" in Barcelona (Acacia Plaza), the "Puente Nuevo" in Ronda (end of Acacia), the "Alhambra" in Granada (Doflamingo´s mansion), among others. What reasons take you to choose Spain? If you visit Spain sometime, we hope that you come to the "Salón del Manga" of Barcelona. But don't fear, here women don´t stab.
P.N. Pirateking´s voice."

Very cool! I hope we get to see more international letters in future segments.....

Edit: Oh, and Oda's response to the Spain letter. Credit goes to the aforementioned CCC for translation:

Quote:
Yes. I've shortened it down/abbreviated it a bit, but this was a letter from Spain. The Japanese is strange in a few places, so I think they must have used translation software.* Anyway, thanks for writing. Yes, you're right about Dressrosa. It's modeled on Spain as well as the colosseum of Ancient Greece. I came up with Spain after staring at Doflamingo and thinking to myself "What country would fit this guy?" I've received a lot of SBS questions about what country was used as a model, but this one was interesting because it was pointed out by people from that actual country. I don't know if I did it all justice in my drawings, so if I've used your culture or buildings in a strange way, please forgive me.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-30, 21:22   Link #365
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
.... wow, Kidd actually looks GOOD as a female.
Old 2013-10-31, 11:26   Link #366
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Better pic.

Hawkins pretty much looks the same
Old 2013-10-31, 13:16   Link #367
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Better pic.

Hawkins pretty much looks the same
I look forward to female forms of the Admirals former and current. Here's also hoping there's an orange admiral.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 14:51   Link #368
marvelB

Ah, I see someone else posted a better pic of the alternate supernovas first! Very well, then. You know, having a better glimpse of them now, I have to say that I find female Capone rather cute! Urouge looks okay, I guess (I like how Oda kept the big grin, at least), and I actually rather like Drake's female design, as well. I still like Apoo the best, though.

BTW, AP's CCC translated the quotes written beside the characters:

Quote:
Hawkins: "What's your sign? Today, your "love luck" is..."
Law: "How many people did you kill, Drake-ya-san?"
Capone: "Military force and cosmetics are totally different!!"
Kidd: "Won't you form an alliance and have a joshikai?" [literally "girl meeting"- basically a get together among girl friends/female colleagues. Usually out at a restaurant/cafe.]
Drake: "I don't understand what's so interesting about Pacifistas" (this is the girls-don't-get-robots "joke")
Killer: "I'm back, and I brought pancakes and macaroons. We're all such good friends, huh"
Bonney: "Donburi!! Bring the next donburi" [donburi is a rice bowl with fish or meat]
Apoo: "Apyapya- So you don't know of my cuteness!?"
Urouge: "Wahh it's a Tenryuubito dassa" [not sure if that final, odd copula has some sort of joke behind it]

Is Oda making a playful jab at female stereotypes or is he revealing his inner misogynist with those quotes? YOU DECIDE!
Old 2013-11-21, 17:54   Link #369
marvelB

Hey guys, here's something real neat! In celebration of the OP volumes having printed over 300 million copies total, Oda drew a special original drawing of Luffy to be featured in newspapers..... international newspapers that is. And so, check out this awesome Luffy drawing featured in the NEW YORK TIMES!!!

Images
Luffy USA
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

W00t! NYC, represent! And on that note, the same Luffy image will also be featured in Taiwanese papers, as well. Credit goes to Redon from AP for getting this HQ scan:

Boy, it really goes to show how much of a long way OP came in gaining worldwide popularity.....
Old 2013-11-21, 18:28   Link #370
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

^ Now THAT... is what I call an advertisement~
Old 2014-03-04, 03:55   Link #371
marvelB

Another volume, another SBS.... let's get this started!

Nothing earth-shattering this time either, I'm afraid.... but I do think there's still some interesting trivia here nonetheless. That being said, let's start off with one of the more interesting bits:

-We learn which foods are the Straw-Hats' LEAST favorite, and the reasons why they dislike them:

Quote:
Luffy: That cherry pie from the bar in Jaya (for no particular reason)
Zoro: Chocolate (too sweet)
Nami: Orangettes (because fruits should be eaten fresh)
Usopp: Mushrooms (because he ate poison mushrooms in the past)
Sanji: Konnyaku (as it lacks nutrition)
Chopper: Anything spicy (since it's not sweet)
Robin: Gum (since it can't be swallowed)
Franky: Marshmallows (because they're not tough)
Brooke: Lemons (because he can't make a sour face, lol)
-Someone asks why Oda named Fujitora after the wisteria flower (the "Fuji" in his name), rather than using the more standard "murasaki" (Japanese for purple). Oda simply replies that "Fuji" sounds cooler. Something else interesting to note is that he draws a fake design for Ryokugyu (aka Green Bull, the other new admiral). It looks like Oda already has a good idea for the green admiral's design, and can't wait to draw him in the main story.....

-Someone points out that Zoro has never referred to Sanji by his name, always addressing him by insults. The fan then compiled a list of all of the names the two of them called each other throughout the series so far (credit goes to CCC from AP for this one, spoilered for size):

Spoiler:

-We get the names of the Tontatta dwarves we've seen so far (credit goes to Bond en Avant from AP for this one):

Quote:
Dwarves revealed:
Tonta Chief - Gancho
Tonta Soldiers' Leader - Leo
Vice Captains - Bonpa and Rambo
Flying Squad - Kabu-san and Bian (Odd that only Kabu-san has an honorific)
Other members - Flapper, Bobonpa (Bonpa's brother), Mousey, Nubon (or Newborn?), Beriini
Recon Squad - Inbel, Cotton, Wicca, Bakusukon, Daikon
Leo's Grandma - Gurabaa

-Robin carries Chopper's candy for him in her bag.

-Something about Oda making errors here and there with the "DEATH" tattoos on Law's fingers, but he blames it on Shambles, heh.

Also, some interesting art changes in the volume (credit goes to AP's Redon for this):

Images
vol. 73
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And that's about it! BTW, that info about Usopp getting mushroom poisoning is something we already knew about for a long time..... recall he told Sanji about his experience with mushrooms way back in the Baratie arc. And so, until the next volume!
Old 2014-03-04, 04:09   Link #372
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

... Robin doesn't like gum cause she can't swallow it...?
Old 2014-03-04, 08:35   Link #373
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

The list with the insults between Zoro and Sanji is incomplete. Where is "Pirate A"?
GreyZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-04, 14:34   Link #374
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Robin likes to swallow.
Old 2014-03-04, 16:47   Link #375
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Robin likes to swallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
... Robin doesn't like gum cause she can't swallow it...?
Luffy x Robin ship, if it has ever existed, has now officially sunk.
Old 2014-03-04, 18:03   Link #376
marvelB

Robin likes to swallow, Franky likes it rough.... boy, the Straw-Hats sure do have interesting tastes (pun not intended.... or maybe it is? ).

Still, what the heck's up with Luffy not liking pie!? At least Blackbeard's got his priorities straight in THAT area.
Old 2014-03-04, 18:15   Link #377
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Still, what the heck's up with Luffy not liking pie!? At least Blackbeard's got his priorities straight in THAT area.
I think you just called the very reason, why he doesn't like it.
Old 2014-03-04, 19:23   Link #378
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Quote:
Robin likes to swallow, Franky likes it rough.... boy, the Straw-Hats sure do have interesting tastes (pun not intended.... or maybe it is? ).

Well... considering I've had that pie (or the closest equivalent to it), I can say that it's pretty bitter depending on the cherries... so, guess that kinda shows something to Luffy's taste...
Old 2014-03-04, 19:33   Link #379
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I thought, that he disliked it because Blackbeard favored it, leading to a childish instance of "you like it, that is why I hate it!"
Old 2014-03-04, 19:58   Link #380
Rainbowman

My thoughts on those least favorite foods:

Luffy- The cherry pie. I bet Luffy would rather have meat pies instead. Hope he won't mind cherry flavored syrup spread on top (the kind that doesn't have cherry pulps in it).

Zoro- Chocolate. He should have dark chocolate. They're not as sweet as other chocolates.

Nami- Orangettes. How are they made?

Usopp- Mushrooms. No surprise there.

Sanji- Konnyaku. What is it exactly?

Chopper- Anything Spicy. His tongue must be sensitive like all the other animals.

Robin- Gum. How hard could it be to swallow gum?

Franky- Marshmallows. He ought to try cereal type marshmallows since they're not as soft in texture. Of course different factor could possibly because marshmallows might gum up his machinery.

Brook- Lemons. I bet he was eating lemons back when he had skin whereas now that he's a skeleton he'd probably gag.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote