AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-03-14, 16:39   Link #1
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Help with fixing invalid long filenames.

Once again, I'm having some problems.

I'm running an old comp, and before I was having some problems with a 160 GB Hard Drive I bought in August.

I think I found out the problem, because under warranty I got a replacement drive, but the same thing continued to happen. Disk Write Errors to the drive and etc. Then I figured that the problem was that my BIOS, but I can't flash my BIOS to break the GB limit. What was interesting was that my Hard Drive worked perfectly until I got close to filling up 128 GB (137 GB in binary).

I then downloaded Intel's application accelerator that updates Hard Drive Controllers for LBA access from 28 bit to 48 bit, and I'm not having anymore problems like that (yet).

Now my problem is invalid long filenames. I can't even run Scandisk on one of my drives because there is "insufficient memory." Even if I reboot into Safe Mode, I still don't have enough memory.

So, how can I fix this problem with invalid long filenames, because whether in MS-DOS, Windows Normal Mode, or Safe Mode, Scandisk cannot fix it.

Also, when I run Scandisk in Windows, on a certain drive it says there are no errors found, but if I reboot into MS-DOS and run Scandisk there, it states that there are many invalid filenames and fixes them. The filenames of these files are like #$*%)^.!3%, but I can't even see these files in Windows Explorer.

I've resigned myself to the idea that my computer cannot safely handle a large drive, but it will be a long time before I can get a better computer.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.
Old 2004-03-14, 16:43   Link #2
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Delete Windows->install Linux->problem solved

Yeah this type of problem is one of 345,259,194 reasons I'm never going back to any M$ O/S. Sorry I can't help you with your problem though.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 02:20   Link #3
Nevion
/dev/random

I agree with that last post as I wouldn't know how to get around that either, only thing that I can tell you is that linux and such have work arounds that they come with to easily get around the bios's limitations.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 08:57   Link #4
SirJeannot
AT Field

i would recommend getting an ata controller
Old 2004-03-15, 09:34   Link #5
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
where are your files located? I guess all your files have a name exceeding 16 characters?
You can try to stop using : space, long names for your files and rename all your files and directories.
what is the OS version you use? is it 3.1 , 95 , 98 ?? above 98 you wouldn't have that problem I believe.

You could try switching to linux. it would for sure solve the problem but are you at ease enough to quit m$ ??
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 10:54   Link #6
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Well I've never really tried Linux, so I don't know how different it is, or if I would be comfortable switching. Switching on this comp isn't an option though, but if I get my own computer, I'll look into getting a Linux OS.

But is Linux compatible with as many things as Windows is? Would having two OS's be recommended, or does that get too complicated and lead to even more trouble?
Old 2004-03-15, 11:03   Link #7
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Delete Windows->install Linux->problem solved

Yeah this type of problem is one of 345,259,194 reasons I'm never going back to any M$ O/S. Sorry I can't help you with your problem though.
How exactly will linux fix crappy hardware?

Also, just swapping to linux won't in any way get rid of this problem. Case in point, I loaned a (FAT32 formatted) HDD to a friend who uses linux a while ago. When I finally got the disk back, it was ok otherwise except that it had a totally weird folder named ., on it which reported as being over 2TB in size in Windows. I tried to run scandisk but it only deleted about half of the files and refused to do anything to the rest.

Ok, no problem, I'll just use the linux PC (Slackware) to fix the thing. Wrong. The linux machine wouldn't even access the folder, much less delete or rename it. It did see it on the disk though, it just handled it even worse than Windows did. In the end I had to do a full format on the drive just to get rid of that bloody folder.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 11:52   Link #8
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Yeah Cruzz, my problem started out very similarly to yours, with weird files and everything. I figure it it can't be the RAM, because my other hard drives would be corrupted, it can't be the IDE cable, I switched it, I doubt it's the hard drive, since the same problem is occuring on the replacement drive as well, so it must be hardware.

Would getting a Promise Controller Card actually do the trick? Or should I just start pricing out a new comp?
Old 2004-03-15, 13:22   Link #9
Nevion
/dev/random

is this just one volume this is happening on?
googled for fat32 limits and brought up http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;184006

the note in there about scandisk not being able to handle volumes over 127gigs is quite close to the number you specified which is interesting.

since the system can operate normally until you start reaching the size you specified on both drives, this tells me its a limitation of some type... if your insane(and have it on more then 1 volume) you could try *gasp* deleting like enough files to get down to 120 gigs (burn baby burn) and see if your still getting the same problems (eg not so much the entire problem going away as you'll prlly have those bogus files in your fat still but if new ones keep being created and disk write errors etc) to gather more evidence that it is a limitation of some type.

wether its related to legacy hardware or fat32 it looks like a limitation to me and I'd look into it further but I'm not in the mood for a few hours of googling/foruming right now
Old 2004-03-15, 13:39   Link #10
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I'm seeing connections now. My Hard Drive only started to act up when I reached closer to 127 GB. Originally I had no partitions. When I reformatted, I partitioned it into 2 drives. Whenever I get a disk write error, it's always on the last partition, and now, my bogus files always appear on the last partition. So now I see that I'll likely have to get a Windows XP OS and format my drives to NTFS... if that can handle over 127 GB. I don't mind being limited to 127 GB right now, it's just that losing data really pisses me off.

So the way I see it, I won't get a Hard Drive Adapter/Controller card, rather, just find myself a new PC with Windows XP or maybe even try Linux, and then format my Hard Drives as NTFS, or does Windows XP have no trouble with 127+ already?
Old 2004-03-15, 14:02   Link #11
Nevion
/dev/random

first off, (even if I'm no fan of windows) I believe 2000 or xp would be the better of the choice as it would/could have the most ease of converting the file systems as it is able to go from fat32->ntfs without a hitch right? Although if it is corrupt/bogus enries in the fat, I have no clue on how they would be handled. And second, the easiest solution I see is to create several partitions. all <32 gigs each is just what sounds right to me if they are to be fat32(for no particular reason that I can think of). Although dancing with 120+ gigs, partition utilities, and only 1 hd that can handle that much data is never fun but atleast you don't have to spend money.
Old 2004-03-15, 19:10   Link #12
SirJeannot
AT Field

what proof do you have it's fat32
maybe it's fat32x or fat16
Old 2004-03-15, 19:30   Link #13
Nevion
/dev/random

I know your j/k but whatever
fat16==2gb volume limit, I hardly think he's gonna make x partitions to fill up 100+ gig drive
fat32x=no difference from fat32 limitations so who cares, only diff supposivily is where the boot sector is.