AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-17, 12:21   Link #241
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I see what Chaos is saying though. A Light Novel is a light novel and an anime is an anime; you have to take a different approach to each one. Keeping things as pure as possible from the light novel in an anime might not translate over that well since a novel is meant for "lol text" while an anime is about the visual appeal with a bit of talking and explanation on the side. That's actually the main complaint people have about Index S1; too much talking not enough action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I got to agree too. The novel is good but the anime is meant for action and not some endless talk. Hearing touma talk with his garness is good. But punching the enemy while he talking is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping the director learned a bit from S1 and focuses more on the action aspect than the long expositions, although I've heard that was simply unavoidable due to everything that had to be explained in the first 6 novels and they were basically one long explanation for the relations between AC and the magic society.
oh wow, i must really be the only one who liked how season 1 was done then. To me the beauty of s1 was that it allowed for a lot of talking, instead of just using YEAAAA EXPLOSIONS! BIG FIGHTS! LOTS OF FLASHY STUFF WOO HOOOOOO!!!!! to carry the story.

Maybe it's because i have more attention than a brain damaged gnat, but the way everything was explained patiently was actually pretty good. Lots of shows assume that you know perfectly fine what's going on when actually the audiences are still scratching their heads wondering what's going on(when they're not getting distracted by YEAAAA EXPLOSIONS! BIG FIGHTS! LOTS OF FLASHY STUFF WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!).

This hits home when you're dealing with Kamachi - he has a tendency to pay attention to fine details, and it is these fine details that bring out the story, and makes it more believable, that there is a certain logic that is easily applied. Any other storycrafter would have said that Angel Fall was activated because lots of occult objects came together to form a spell. Kamachi goes in depth, citing fengshui, and exactly what of these 3000 idols did to form the spell. red in the south, water-aligned turtle in the bathroom, byakkou the guardian of gold in the kitchen where metal is abundant. vols 9-10 is an excellent show of how these details made the story arc, with highly unique and individual magicks.

Abilities are given their own dash of life too. Most other fantasy writers would give a vague outline and even more vague limitations on abilities, but Kamachi does different. The finest example of this would be Teleportation, and it gives more-or-less detailed information - weight and distance limitation, teleportation, means of calculation, time lag etc(the latter which the novel readers know is important to one of the later volumes(i hope i'm not breaking this thread's rules with this line)).

Kamachi's writing is meticulous, and the action is not his selling point - it's the details of the story arc, and how these details carry the story to reach a conclusion, rather than the mind blowing action of the conclusion.

If I were to make an analogy, it's like watching CSI in its earliest days: sure, if you're lucky, Jim and the CSI team get to chase down a suspect and slam him to a wall, but we all know the meat is in the team slowly prying out the information they need one by one until they find out what's going on.

Or one of those good old mystery stories. Agatha Christie, GK Chesterton, the likes, they bring you through the story, bring to you the details throughout the story before bringing you to the resolution.

That, to me, is the beauty of Kamachi's writing style in the first half of what he's already written(which would cover season 1 and probably most of season 2), where it's the exposition and details that make the story, rather than fast paced action and flashy effects that would keep any hyperactive 5 year old glued to the screen.
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 12:50   Link #242
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
oh wow, i must really be the only one who liked how season 1 was done then. To me the beauty of s1 was that it allowed for a lot of talking, instead of just using YEAAAA EXPLOSIONS! BIG FIGHTS! LOTS OF FLASHY STUFF WOO HOOOOOO!!!!! to carry the story.

Maybe it's because i have more attention than a brain damaged gnat, but the way everything was explained patiently was actually pretty good. Lots of shows assume that you know perfectly fine what's going on when actually the audiences are still scratching their heads wondering what's going on(when they're not getting distracted by YEAAAA EXPLOSIONS! BIG FIGHTS! LOTS OF FLASHY STUFF WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!).

This hits home when you're dealing with Kamachi - he has a tendency to pay attention to fine details, and it is these fine details that bring out the story, and makes it more believable, that there is a certain logic that is easily applied. Any other storycrafter would have said that Angel Fall was activated because lots of occult objects came together to form a spell. Kamachi goes in depth, citing fengshui, and exactly what of these 3000 idols did to form the spell. red in the south, water-aligned turtle in the bathroom, byakkou the guardian of gold in the kitchen where metal is abundant. vols 9-10 is an excellent show of how these details made the story arc, with highly unique and individual magicks.

Abilities are given their own dash of life too. Most other fantasy writers would give a vague outline and even more vague limitations on abilities, but Kamachi does different. The finest example of this would be Teleportation, and it gives more-or-less detailed information - weight and distance limitation, teleportation, means of calculation, time lag etc(the latter which the novel readers know is important to one of the later volumes(i hope i'm not breaking this thread's rules with this line)).

Kamachi's writing is meticulous, and the action is not his selling point - it's the details of the story arc, and how these details carry the story to reach a conclusion, rather than the mind blowing action of the conclusion.
First of all, don't be insulting. Brain damaged Gnat? Just no.

Second - In some ways, I agree with the others; anime and Light Novels are different mediums, and changes are needed.

Thrid - I love S1 very much, and didn't find it wordy at all. To me, the fine details provided are very appealing. This does not mean the action is not equally appealing.

Although over all, I agree with you, I felt the need to say this.
__________________
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 15:50   Link #243
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
I also love season one. I watch it tons of times and never gets tired out. But anime and novels are different. Though I like how they played season 1. I wish it never gets change but in some point of the novel if they are going to take the route we expect. They better make the character stand and not just say something. Though as the story progress that speech of his are getting smaller and shorter maybe due to the fact their is no time to even say his line because his dying but some changes are needed.

They didn't completely copy the novel in s 1 and I like how it shown up though they cut out fine and nice details in s 1. I hope that didn't happen in s 2 though I doubt it.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 19:19   Link #244
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
I never said I didn't like season one. I did. It's on my favorites list. That does not mean, however, that I have no constructive criticism of it.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 12:27   Link #245
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
I'm rereading vol 7 and honestly I wish it's October already... Really I wish it's October already.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 13:10   Link #246
pampz21
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
yeah me too....i been rereading the full text on bakatsuki wish they finish vol 13..before going to chapter 11
pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 21:54   Link #247
Aki-Furaba
Level 5 ESPer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
Yeah season 1 is definitely very good. Some of my friends think there's too much talking, but I still think it's all good.

It'll be a challenge for S2 to allow more actions and flashy effects without sacrificing any details. If they (the studio) can overcome the challenge...okay here comes the best anime ever created LOL.

How many episodes will S2 be anyway? Seems like if they make it until vol 13...24 episodes won't be enough....

Last edited by Aki-Furaba; 2010-08-21 at 22:08.
Aki-Furaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:08   Link #248
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
I've been re-watching season 1 in preparation for season 2 (two episodes every Saturday) and I've noticed that they really did focus too much on needless talk and not enough time explaining certain plot points. Such as the cross on Aisa; they focused the camera on it when she showed up in episode 11 but they skipped explaining what it's use was. Unless it's explained in a later volume and I'm mistaken about them skipping the content, that's a pretty blaring omission since it explains why Aisa is able to walk around without attracting vampires. Another example is not explaining why Aurrelous needed the Misawa Prep School. It's okay for them to put in comedic dialog but my problem is they put it in over explanations that make the plot more understandable. My complaint with season 1 isn't the talking, since that's just how the early novels were written (with more talking than action, as opposed to later volumes) but they didn't do a good job explaining a lot of the plot and magic, which made it hard for people who haven't read the novels or have knowledge of them to understand what exactly was going on and what the magic was based off of.

Meh, aside from that I enjoyed season 1 very much. The action scenes that were there were really well done and the art and animation were top notch for the most part. But like I said, I hope they do a better job at explaining the plot and themes behind the magic in season 2, especially since there is a lot more references to the religious texts the magician's powers are based off of from volume 7 onwards.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:21   Link #249
Aki-Furaba
Level 5 ESPer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
But like I said, I hope they do a better job at explaining the plot and themes behind the magic in season 2, especially since there is a lot more references to the religious texts the magician's powers are based off of from volume 7 onwards.
Agreed. I think that's one of the most interesting part of the To Aru universe anyway - the fact that magic and psychics have different concepts from other mainstream series.

Makes it unique.
__________________

Check out my novel project: Musei Ansatsusha! A sci-fi action comedy with a rich universe you will not be disappointed in! Support my project and "like" the facebook page!!! Thanks!
Aki-Furaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:26   Link #250
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
The problem if they explain all. They wouldn't had much time left. Well explain what's happening but I really didn't notice it. When they show Aisa's cross in that episode. I was just to focus on aisa saying touma's life is a dating sims.

The chances of them explaining it is nil specially they even cut some parts that could explain more but they might show it now in s2 but still that chance is rather low.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:31   Link #251
Aki-Furaba
Level 5 ESPer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
Quote:
The problem if they explain all. They wouldn't had much time left.
Dang, you're right...ah then the one who would enjoy the series most are the ones who read the novel...

But that's fine isn't it? I watched the anime of S1 and I thought that's all to it, but when I read the novel afterwards I realized that there's so much more concepts and jokes that gets me more excited in waiting for further story.

*I can only read 300-ish kanji, boohoo I guess I have to deal with baka-tsuki's translation.*

Good Marketing, Kamachi-sensei...
__________________

Check out my novel project: Musei Ansatsusha! A sci-fi action comedy with a rich universe you will not be disappointed in! Support my project and "like" the facebook page!!! Thanks!
Aki-Furaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:48   Link #252
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
^ Did Kamachi say that in an Afterword? O.O
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 23:03   Link #253
Aki-Furaba
Level 5 ESPer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
which part?
__________________

Check out my novel project: Musei Ansatsusha! A sci-fi action comedy with a rich universe you will not be disappointed in! Support my project and "like" the facebook page!!! Thanks!
Aki-Furaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 23:26   Link #254
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Quote:
*I can only read 300-ish kanji, boohoo I guess I have to deal with baka-tsuki's translation.*
That one lol.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 23:34   Link #255
Aki-Furaba
Level 5 ESPer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
HAHAH noo! That was me!
__________________

Check out my novel project: Musei Ansatsusha! A sci-fi action comedy with a rich universe you will not be disappointed in! Support my project and "like" the facebook page!!! Thanks!
Aki-Furaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 23:54   Link #256
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Oh okay, the way you wrote the post made me think Kamachi said that in an Afterthought in one of the novels. That would've thrown me for a loop lol.

I understand your pain, except my Kanji knowledge is more around the 50-100 area.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 01:07   Link #257
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
I don't even understand even a single kanji. They are all bunch of moon runes and even I want to learn I don't have time to learn

Well Kamachi always rant in the end of the volume up to vol 7 with translated afterword that he still isn't improving at all. And by the looks of it if you ask me the story really starts to kick in vol 13. The earlier ones are all introduction. And if the season 2 would end in vol 13. I want to see season 3
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 08:46   Link #258
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
let's skip the 3rd season speculation and concentrate on the 2nd season.

Any news on the cast? are they the same or some change? and who would voice out the new characters? and also even if you give a name I probably wouldn't know her/him because I just can't seem to remember their name. Give an example of some of their voice example. I might had heard of them.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 10:12   Link #259
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Any news on the cast? are they the same or some change? and who would voice out the new characters? and also even if you give a name I probably wouldn't know her/him because I just can't seem to remember their name. Give an example of some of their voice example. I might had heard of them.
The cast for the already existing characters is unchanged. I don't know who's doing the new characters, though.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 10:22   Link #260
Aki-Furaba
Level 5 ESPer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
Quote:
Any news on the cast? are they the same or some change? and who would voice out the new characters?
i tried searching on every possible sites, but it doesn't give me a hint on any new seiyuu (voice cast).

Why do I have a feeling that there'll be marina inoue (Minami-ke, Kampfer) and rie kugimiya (Toradora, Zero no Tsukaima, Shakugan no Shana)? Especially Rie Kugimiya since she's a regular in J.C Staff (the studio that makes Index). It'll be cool if Kugimiya-san voices Anieze Sanctis!
__________________

Check out my novel project: Musei Ansatsusha! A sci-fi action comedy with a rich universe you will not be disappointed in! Support my project and "like" the facebook page!!! Thanks!
Aki-Furaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, sci-fi, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.