AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2011-03-25, 00:00   Link #221
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
This is the main reason why I never really used Firefox or any apps that are based on Mozilla XUL... they are too bloated compared to browsers that are native (Chrome, Opera and Safari.) I could of use Camino, but the rendering engine is still outdated compared to the ones in Firefox.

I guess the wait continues... until Firefox 5 fixes these issues.
Ultimately, I feel there's really no need to change browsers unless you are bored or it doesn't work or something. For Windows there was a reason back then in the days of IE6 epic fail security, but now no choice is really that awful.

Since I'm already using FF, I guess I'll take a look at 4 eventually, but I need to wait for extension updates.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 12:14   Link #222
sa547
*Author

Judging from the reviews... for now I'll stick with FF3.6.16 and Opera.
Old 2011-03-25, 15:14   Link #223
delirium
Banned

Hey y'all, looking for someone knowledgeable about Google Chrome. I've been using it for awhile now, it's suited my needs very well. I've been going over the options though, and I can't find a means to disable the curse-over link previews. Anyone know how to?
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 00:29   Link #224
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I'm not sure how to do that one, sorry Del.

On the subject of suggestions however, I wholesomely support Google Chrome.
FAST. ACCESSIBLE. PRETTY.
F.A.P

Anyways... Compared to my Internet Explorer, it is (arguably) 5x faster in loading speeds. Accessibility is overwhelmingly easy; so much so that when first used I didn't understand. I was over-thinking and assuming there was more to it! Nope!

Google Chrome also automatically translates foreign-language websites on the spot. Hello PixIV!

Tabs open and close with vigor, never seeming to lag or think too hard.
Old 2011-04-07, 09:27   Link #225
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm trying Seamonkey ... it has a much smaller RAM footprint than running Firefox and Thunderbird together. Seems pretty clean (uses the same open source but if you still run an email client it saves a lot of space by sharing libraries I'm assuming).

Only "problem" I've encountered so far is that it has some different defaults than FF and TB, so you have to hunt those down in the options. It has the necessary pile of addons (e.g. flashgot, adblocker, etc) but isn't quite as "pretty" as firefox can be made to be.

Seems to be a good choice for older machines with limited RAM (1GB or less) and they're an active free opensource project.

edit: so far looking wonderful... will post if I encounter any issues.
Old 2011-04-07, 16:55   Link #226
Tiberium Wolf

PPL I need help in moving bookmarks drop down button from the right to the left. Is that possible?

Edit: Ups... yes FF 4. Corrected

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2011-04-07 at 17:49.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 16:58   Link #227
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

^ Should be possible (Firefox, right?). Right click on an empty area on any of your toolbars, then click "Customize...", and you'll now be able to drag around your toolbar buttons and such.

I've used pretty much every single modern web browser so far, and the fact is, competition is good. Ultimately, the consumer wins out because of the wide variety of choices they can pick from:

Internet Explorer 9: Far better than all other versions, takes cues from its competitors. Easy to use. (+Feature: ActiveX Filtering, Tracking Protection)
Firefox 4: Takes cues from Opera and Chrome. The most extensible and customisable of all the browsers. Still has a fairly large memory footprint, but it's faster and more stable than before, future versions to be released at a faster pace. (+Feature: Tab Panorama, Do Not Track, Restart-less addons [but only a very small number at this stage])
Google Chrome: Built from the ground up with a focus on speed and security. New features are added at a quick pace. (+Feature: Multithread browsing, sandboxing)
Opera 11: Hasn't changed much from 10, but it's still very fast, and has a lot of features that the others don't have. (+Feature: Tab Stacking, Opera Turbo, Opera Unite Media Server)

"The world is full of obvious things which
nobody by any chance ever observes."
-
Sherlock Holmes

"Make sure you do a good job with your life's
footprint."
- Kanna Makino

Last edited by blaze0041; 2011-04-07 at 17:10.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 17:51   Link #228
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
^ Should be possible (Firefox, right?). Right click on an empty area on any of your toolbars, then click "Customize...", and you'll now be able to drag around your toolbar buttons and such.
Doesn't work. In Customize I can drag it but after I end it it goes back to the original position.
Old 2011-04-07, 18:54   Link #229
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

^ That's odd, mine is fine...

-
Sherlock Holmes

footprint."
- Kanna Makino
Old 2011-04-07, 22:25   Link #230
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Why the fuck does Firefox print web pages so badly? It seems to print them in separate frames. or something; Opera at least prints most page with text intact.

And I can't even select "as laid out on the screen" because it's greyed out. Actually when wouldn't I want to print it out as it's laid in on the screen?

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-07 at 22:43.
Old 2011-04-07, 22:30   Link #231
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I use to use Firefox as my main browser. Problem was it was a memory hog and webpages would load up very slow. It was even slower than Internet Explorer when I compared it, and well... everyone knows how shit IE is.

Switched to Chrome. Lack of addons annoyed me, particularly the lack of an inbuilt Youtube downloader. Managed to fix that using 3rd party software though so it's not so bad anymore. Hell fast and efficient though once you get used to it.
Old 2011-04-07, 22:47   Link #232
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Hmm, the only reason why I'm sticking with FF is the addons; noscript is too valuable to pass up. If it had no addons, I'd dump it like garbage. Which is why I haven't upgraded yet as I wait for them to catch up.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-04-08, 00:43   Link #233
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm trying Seamonkey ... it has a much smaller RAM footprint than running Firefox and Thunderbird together. Seems pretty clean (uses the same open source but if you still run an email client it saves a lot of space by sharing libraries I'm assuming).

Only "problem" I've encountered so far is that it has some different defaults than FF and TB, so you have to hunt those down in the options. It has the necessary pile of addons (e.g. flashgot, adblocker, etc) but isn't quite as "pretty" as firefox can be made to be.

Seems to be a good choice for older machines with limited RAM (1GB or less) and they're an active free opensource project.

edit: so far looking wonderful... will post if I encounter any issues.
I'll try that, especially as I have a very old laptop (circa 1998-99) with a Pentium Mobile 233Mhz and only 128mb of memory, and FF gets choked on Facebook.

Edit: It's great on the old lappy; Facebook loads up all right! So I therefore recommend Seamonkey for those who are sticking with old Pentium III machines with 128mb of memory.

OBTW, interface reminds me strongly of old Netscape, which I once used as my standard just before it bloated by version 4.

Last edited by sa547; 2011-04-09 at 21:48.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 00:59   Link #234
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
^ That's odd, mine is fine...

Well seems like it's fine if you don't have View bookmark toolbar. I need it to be viewed.
Old 2011-04-08, 01:20   Link #235
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Well seems like it's fine if you don't have View bookmark toolbar. I need it to be viewed.
You mean like this?

-
Sherlock Holmes

footprint."
- Kanna Makino
Old 2011-04-08, 01:55   Link #236
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
You mean like this?
Yes! How did you do it?
Old 2011-04-08, 02:00   Link #237
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

^ From the customise window, drag the "Bookmarks" button onto your bookmarks toolbar. Done!

-
Sherlock Holmes

footprint."
- Kanna Makino
Old 2011-04-08, 02:56   Link #238
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
^ From the customise window, drag the "Bookmarks" button onto your bookmarks toolbar. Done!
Thx +rep for u.
Old 2011-04-09, 23:19   Link #239
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I'll try that, especially as I have a very old laptop (circa 1998-99) with a Pentium Mobile 233Mhz and only 128mb of memory, and FF gets choked on Facebook.

Edit: It's great on the old lappy; Facebook loads up all right! So I therefore recommend Seamonkey for those who are sticking with old Pentium III machines with 128mb of memory.

OBTW, interface reminds me strongly of old Netscape, which I once used as my standard just before it bloated by version 4.
Yeah, we have a couple of older Thinkpads that it runs great on (256mb and 512mb each). For that matter, its a hell of nice on my 2GB machine. Granted it isn't quite as pretty, but it does have the add-ons I actually care about (like adblock or flashgot).

So far, my only whine is having to tweak a few default settings and the lack of a tab 'x' close button (probably some way to fix that as well).

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ for anyone who's interested, runs on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.
Old 2011-04-18, 03:17   Link #240
Tiberium Wolf

1st time today that FF4 crashed. It took then more or less 5 min to load. I did set the cache to 1 GB and it must have been the reason. I checked the cache and it wasn't gone like the previous versions but it was at like 50k files and 3k folders o.O

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews