AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 16:31   Link #2881
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Wow... that's it? Really? Well, it could have been a lot worse.

I think an epilogue would have been nice, but I think it's safe to say everyone lives happily ever after in a shojo triangle.

Overall: 7/10.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 16:47   Link #2882
NANSY

I just saw these!!
I'm not sure if these from the manga or just fanarts.
HILARIOUS!!
Spoiler for ^^:
NANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 16:50   Link #2883
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
At the end I did not understand a single characters motivation that was in that final episode, not one of them. I think if they hadn't wasted so much time on characters that weren't even going to be in the final episode way back when, (looking directly at Mizuno, Marino and Fish Girl) and so much time on the wacky hijinks at the school (Kissing through the glass...... ) and instead devoted more time to actually fleshing out characters like Takuto, Sugata, Wako, Keito and Head then I would be singing a totally different tune. Instead what we got for their character development was a cryptic mesh of cliches and dropped or underexposed subplots.

I'm actually more or less completely in tune with roriconfan for a change. Gotta write this one down as something like a 5/10. Had the major characters been fleshed out just a little more and the show maintained more of a clear focus we'd easily be looking at as high up as 8/10....whatever that means to people. Having a really flashy final battle just isn't going to cut it for me at this point because I basically more or less expected that along with at least some form of closure. I got one of the two...
Hmm, strange. I felt I had a pretty good handle on why most characters did what they did in the final episode. The crux "switched sides" and helped Takuto, because they came to respect, in some cases even admire, him over the course of the series and they realized they've been deceived all along, mostly by Head. Also, we already knew that for the most part, they were decent people with varying reasons to join the Crux, so I didn't think it far fetched they'd stand by Takuto and oppose Head as all life the on the planet is about to get annihilated. Many of the Crux were also shown to have a lot of pride, so I felt it was natural for them to try and correct their mistake. I think Benio even said so. The less steadfast members of the crux have already left before that point (idiot trio, lesbian duo)

Why did Head do all that he did? He was consumed by his quest for power and lost sight and perspective over time. Originally he wanted to seek out a seal, because he felt he was denied his rightful heritage (Gramps was a pretty good judge of character, it seems). As things moved on he kept looking for more power, but also lost more in the process, Takuto's mom and Sakana being the most prominent examples. As blinded as he was, he apparently did realize that he sacrificed much, but was unable to stop. By the end he wanted Samekh's timetravel powers to go back and reclaim what he lost, we also had a flashback or two hinting at his regret. Of course the price he was willing to pay (the planet) wasn't his to give, but that's why he's the bad guy.

Keito was a lovestruck girl, who made the mistake of retreating to the sidelines and harboring her crush/love in secret. She also was a victim of the predetermined "roles" everyone had to play. By removing herself from Sugata and Wako, maybe after that totem incident, she never really got to know Sugata and who he was. She thought she'd do him a favor by facilitating his ascension to "godhood" and it was her show of her love for him to work from the shadows in the Crux. What she did was all sorts of misguided, but her motivation is evident and I haven't even factored her relation to Wako into that.

Sugata did what he did because of the hopelessness he felt all along and succumbed to the "role" he felt he had to play. He's also a decent guy and instead of passing the problem on to then next generation, he decided to do the sacrifice and seal himself and the kings mark away once and for all, trapped in zero time. He was working towards this goal over the course of the whole series. He was able to seal himself away "in good conscience", because he has entrusted Wako to Takuto, whom he trained for this very reason. This also shows why he needed as much saving as Wako herself did.

Takuto and Wako however didn't want to accept that and they both decided, that they'd take the risk of unsealing Samekh and saving Sugata. Wako did so, because of her unshakable belief in Takuto, that built up over the course of the series. It was shown that she takes her role as maiden very seriously, but the bond that developed over the course of the series, meant even more. If nothing else, the series has reinforced over and over how deep the friendship between those 3 runs, to the point where they'd even risk the planet. It was rash that they did so, but then again, that's also ties in with a main theme of the series, youth in all its facets. The adult thing would have been to let Sugata seal himself, but they were willing to risk it (and of course the script vindicated that decision), because youth is not always rational. That's also why Ryousuke commented how Head and Takuto are alike in some way, referring to that recklessness.

You see, I had no problem coming up with motivations for pretty much every one. I think most of my "conclusions" can be backed up with evidence from inside the series, so I don't think my reasoning is fanfiction, at least not 100% of it.

PS: For the record, there's a decent amount of things I think were done badly in the series or would have worked better if done differently (e.g. lesbian duo, stock footage, fight structure...), but overall, I think the series did a decent job and doesn't quite deserve the amount of "complete waste of time" comments that seem to pop up around here.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 17:03   Link #2884
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
If nothing else, the series has reinforced over and over how deep the friendship between those 3 runs, to the point where they'd even risk the planet. It was rash that they did so, but then again, that's also ties in with a main theme of the series, youth in all its facets. The adult thing would have been to let Sugata seal himself, but they were willing to risk it (and of course the script vindicated that decision), because youth is not always rational. That's also why Ryousuke commented how Head and Takuto are alike in some way, referring to that recklessness.
Adding to this - because it's very important -, it feels as if a lot of people weren't able to grasp this bit. Or simply dismissed it as "not important", because they kept expecting some sort of more ambitious plot. Enokido and Igarashi, in one of their countless interviews which can be read in Good_Haro's fantastic blog even commented on how in this story, the focus was definitely on the main trio and how they could not be called the "allies of the world", because for them, whatever happened to it wasn't important -- living out their youth and going through every hardship that's common in this convoluted part of life is what mattered. If anyone could be called so, it would have been Kanako and Leon, who were always monitoring the Crux's movements from the inside. In the end, I still feel a lot of people are judging Star Driver on what it wasn't trying to be, instead of simply (trying to) enjoy it for what it is. Personally, I always joked around with friends saying it was a weird take on a mahou shoujo, because a lot of the complaints people have are simply simple cliches from this genre. The stock footage transformation, the episodic nature in which there is an enemy of the week and the overall focus on the characters' school life. Except the little girls were teenagers this time around, and instead of magical suits they had mechas. A mahou shounen, maybe?

EDIT: Here, said interview. It's worth a read, because even if it isn't enough to change your opinion of the show, at the very least you'll have a good laugh at how happy and satisfied these two are with the anime they are producing. Very refreshing, in particular when contrasted to some interviews that appeared at the time of Gundam 00's airing, where Mizushima kept going on about how much he wanted to do and couldn't fit into the show because of the executives decisions and other issues.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-04 at 18:03.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 17:41   Link #2885
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
. One maiden having a sword and not the other three seems odd
Wako's also has the Piles, which the other two lack. I think hers was meant for combat and we probably would have seem of it if they had more time.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 17:49   Link #2886
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Wako's also has the Piles, which the other two lack. I think hers was meant for combat and we probably would have seem of it if they had more time.
Well it somewhat makes sense. If things got to the point where the last maiden was in trouble it probably would be a good idea to have one that could fight.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:28   Link #2887
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just watched the final episode. I'm a bit mixed about Takuto deciding to break the fourth seal and endagering the entire planet but overall it was a thrilling finale and very emotional.

It's not the greatest anime but I did enjoy it. I didn't really see it as an anime that was supposed to be plot driven, but more of a story about a lot of characters and their motivations and I think that's where it succeeds. I found each character very interesting and complex and their interactions were great. I'm going to miss this show.

Overall: 7/10
I subscribe to this judgement.

Star Driver won't be remembered as one of the greatest mecha series (or at all) but it never had such an ambition.

It's purpose was just to provide entertainment in an above than average manner in perfect Bones' style. This series remained true to its purpose from the beginning to the end, never promising anything groundbreaking and never letting me down.

Personally I prefer this than a series that promises a masterpiece and gives you garbage. At least Star Driver didn't leave me with a bitter aftertaste.

7/10 from me too, that's about the right vote.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 19:50   Link #2888
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Wako just seemed to have a shield though and she never once tried countering with anything else. She also seems to have no real training with a weapon. Sugata on the other had is supposed to be even better than Takuto. Makes me really think the last Star Sword would be his.
Old 2011-04-04, 20:36   Link #2889
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
EDIT: Here, said interview. It's worth a read, because even if it isn't enough to change your opinion of the show, at the very least you'll have a good laugh at how happy and satisfied these two are with the anime they are producing.
Adding to that, in the last episode you see Takuto thinking about "what he has to do" (for the sake of duty) and "what he wants to do" and ultimately he breaks Wako's seals because that's "what he wants to do," he wants to free her, even though that completely breaks Zero Time and nearly lets Samkeh destroy the world. In the end, the series wasn't about fighting to save the world or anything about that, it was the trio fighting to save each other and endangering the world if they had to, surprised they got such a good end with that method.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 21:24   Link #2890
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

This show employs the use of some wonderful singers. My goodness.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 21:56   Link #2891
Dark Wing

I really believe people are being way to hard on this series...

It really dose break my heart to read these comments. Whatever happened to the sense of disbelief, getting wrapped up in the moment, and having fun just setting back enjoying a show.

Don't get me wrong I have my standards too and have condemned my share of bad anime however I can't see anything unforgivable enough to warrant such harsh words. It makes me question do people even like anime now a days anymore?
Old 2011-04-04, 22:10   Link #2892
n120cky

The one I don't get it is why samekh with Sugata the driver attacked tauburn when Takuto want to destroy it? I mean why Sugata doesn't let Takuto destroy it peacefully?

Do you think Tauburn still useable? If it so then Tauburn is the only one that can be used outside zero time with all 4 seal broken.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 22:13   Link #2893
Cheukneo

i liked the show. The characters were fleshed out pretty nicely, and i could understand most of the motivations the characters had when they did what they did.

I mean, i was surprised when Sugata "switched" sides. i had a few ideas, but nothing concrete. when takuto actually thought about it though, i could relate and believe that reasoning for myself.

an epilogue would be nice, but it was still a great series for passing the time. I had a great time watching the show, and i never expected it to be what it never tried to be.
Cheukneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 22:35   Link #2894
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
The one I don't get it is why samekh with Sugata the driver attacked tauburn when Takuto want to destroy it? I mean why Sugata doesn't let Takuto destroy it peacefully?

Do you think Tauburn still useable? If it so then Tauburn is the only one that can be used outside zero time with all 4 seal broken.
This just me guessing, but apart from the obvious meta-reason ("we want to do a fight to end the series with a bang"), it seems that at this point Samekh was running on auto-pilot. From what I can tell, it has been hinted that Cybodies are to a degree autonomous entities and I guess Samekh knew Takuto was about to destroy it, so it fought back. Note when Takuto finally breached Samekh's hull and all those masks appeared, Takuto addressed Samekh itself. "Samekh, there's no point in playing this game!"

As for Tauburn, I don't see any major reason why it wouldn't be usable anymore. All Cybodies are unsealed and Takuto should have enough spare libido to repair Tauburn, get himself and Sugata back to Wako and still have enough left to enjoy a nice threesome, if that's how Wako swings.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 22:53   Link #2895
n120cky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
This just me guessing, but apart from the obvious meta-reason ("we want to do a fight to end the series with a bang"), it seems that at this point Samekh was running on auto-pilot. From what I can tell, it has been hinted that Cybodies are to a degree autonomous entities and I guess Samekh knew Takuto was about to destroy it, so it fought back. Note when Takuto finally breached Samekh's hull and all those masks appeared, Takuto addressed Samekh itself. "Samekh, there's no point in playing this game!"
Yeah that's make sense, Cybodies still mysterious entities . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
As for Tauburn, I don't see any major reason why it wouldn't be usable anymore. All Cybodies are unsealed and Takuto should have enough spare libido to repair Tauburn, get himself and Sugata back to Wako and still have enough left to enjoy a nice threesome, if that's how Wako swings.
Well IMO just let Sugata have Wako and Keito, Takuto should go for Sarina .
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 23:18   Link #2896
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I suppose one downside was being completely wrong about when Fish Girl left. Was completely certain that she'd be back eventually. Maybe not having a huge role, but doing something. But nope, when you leave the island you are gone .
Old 2011-04-04, 23:40   Link #2897
sakurawings

I really enjoyed this series. It really takes a bit of analyzing to get everything figured out and that's why I like it so much.

It's a shounen anime that doesn't waste 3 episodes explaining how the main character obtains a new power up. Nor is there any cheesy "meaningful" life lesson that enables a new move. Takuto just knows cause he's been trained since childhood. BAM. Done.

After all, the focus of the anime isn't the battles or the cybodies, it's the interaction and growth between characters.

If you watched it in a blatant black-and-white, explain-the-story-to-me-word-for-word way I think you'd find Star Driver a disappointment.

But if you take the time to look for small meanings behind seemingly insignificant conversations and scenes, I think you'll find another level to the story that makes it great. The show gives out plenty of background hints and stories, but the key is to let your imagination fill in the blanks for you.

And if all else fails, I guess read the interviews. :P
sakurawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 23:55   Link #2898
Sekirei07

Hmm after reading that interview it makes a lot more sense in a way.

Star Driver isn't about giant robot anime about adolescence using giant robots for adult reasons, its a giant robot anime about adolescence using giant robots for adolescence reasons.

Hell thinking back on it, Mizuno had trauma as a child and made an "imaginary friend" to escape that reality. But when she was ready to move on and grow up, she decided to leave and face it.

Takuto did many things on impulse as a kid, hell he risk the whole world for what he wanted to do, despite the alternative being the right and safe decision.

Head, despite being an adult, acted like a punk kid all the time. Whining about hearing a story, discarding things when he gets bored with them, working only for self gratification, not growing up physically...

Keito acted like a dumb girl in love and didn't see the bigger picture

Vanishing Edge guys all acted like hot shot punks wanting to prove who was the toughest.

Drill bit tits girls were always trying to get a bigger "high"

Head was right... they are twelve lol. This anime does carry the elements of youth and what youth would do if they had access to giant robots with no real greater purpose for them. Form a secret club!
Old 2011-04-05, 00:01   Link #2899
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Star Driver thoughts

What am I gonna say? To me that uhm....

1. Could Tsunashi Tokio was actually Takuto's brother instead of Father I mean he looks so young? That really confuses me. I mean that didn't happened in the actual show, really.

2. IF those school students are actually Kiraboshi soldiers, why couldn't just revealed it to Takuto right in the 1st place?

3. Talked about bait & switch! Head was actually a final boss after all & used Sugata's Samekh all along until it goes out of control & Takuto finally managed to save Sugata at the end. And then THAT'S IT. THE END just like that.

More on that later. I'm going to upload some more Star Driver photos & share it here soon.

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-04-05 at 00:14.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 00:02   Link #2900
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
Samekh has a mind of its own like Ayingott and the Phase 4 Crux cybodies that gave the real marks to Benio and the others.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen