AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-05, 00:40   Link #2901
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I really believe people are being way to hard on this series...

It really dose break my heart to read these comments. Whatever happened to the sense of disbelief, getting wrapped up in the moment, and having fun just setting back enjoying a show.

Don't get me wrong I have my standards too and have condemned my share of bad anime however I can't see anything unforgivable enough to warrant such harsh words. It makes me question do people even like anime now a days anymore?
ye me too, seeing this hateful comments about Star Driver makes me think people are being too perfectionist now, always looking for flaws or faults on a show rather than seat back and just look for something to enjoy on a show

im disappointed on this generation of anime viewers, like Head said what are you twelve? lol kidding aside even twelve years old will enjoy this show imo
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 00:53   Link #2902
keyed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I enjoyed the episode for it's animation, but left with a meh feeling.

This was the first time I got really annoyed at Takuto's character. I cringed every time he yelled out "Wako!" or "I can still see it!".

I think the major flaw in this series is that the director never put Takuto in any real danger. Tauban never gets damaged and Takuto doesn't suffer any setbacks. Having conditioned the audience to this, it destroys any sense of suspense at the end. *shrug*

I'd give this show a 6/10. Nothing to really hate about the show, but nothing to love about it either. This doesn't seem like a show that people are going to be talking about in six months.

Positives: good animation and great music.

Negatives: recycling of Tauban entrance, the most interesting characters (fish girl and twins) had no part of the finale, predictable ending to battles, and no real background on the cybodies and Crux.
keyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 01:21   Link #2903
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
ye me too, seeing this hateful comments about Star Driver makes me think people are being too perfectionist now, always looking for flaws or faults on a show rather than seat back and just look for something to enjoy on a show

im disappointed on this generation of anime viewers, like Head said what are you twelve? lol kidding aside even twelve years old will enjoy this show imo
Perfectionist? No, not at all. All we're asking for is a plot that makes sense (or any plot, really) and characters that we understand and are likeable. Star Driver fails quite tremendously in both these regards, particularly with the characters.

Honestly, can anyone tell me why any of the characters did what they did? Why did Takuto like Wako? Why did Sugata like Wako? Why did Wako like Takuto and Sugata? And what really frustates me is how blase all the characters are. None of the characters show any real emotion, even as all this extraordinary shit is happening to them, even events that are supposed to be personally significant, they just seem to take it in stride. Take for instance, when Takuto finally meets up with his dad. What, he just punches him in the face and that's it? Why? What kinds of feelings does he have towards his dad? Are we meant to infer that he hates him? If so, why? Well, I guess it doesn't matter because it's never really brought up again.

Not to mention the horribly unsettling message of, "Hey, there's no need to make a difficult decision like who you want to fall in love with, even if it comes at the expense of the heartbreak of another person (Keito), because bigamy is cool anyway."
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 01:26   Link #2904
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Spoiler for size:
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 01:42   Link #2905
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
This just me guessing, but apart from the obvious meta-reason ("we want to do a fight to end the series with a bang"), it seems that at this point Samekh was running on auto-pilot. From what I can tell, it has been hinted that Cybodies are to a degree autonomous entities and I guess Samekh knew Takuto was about to destroy it, so it fought back. Note when Takuto finally breached Samekh's hull and all those masks appeared, Takuto addressed Samekh itself. "Samekh, there's no point in playing this game!"

As for Tauburn, I don't see any major reason why it wouldn't be usable anymore. All Cybodies are unsealed and Takuto should have enough spare libido to repair Tauburn, get himself and Sugata back to Wako and still have enough left to enjoy a nice threesome, if that's how Wako swings.
Just stick with the meta-reason. It'd be just as easy to ask why Takuto had to break Wako's seal to destroy Samekh as well, and since Sugata was clearly in control prior to Wako's seal breaking, it probably would have been even easier to destroy Samekh without destroying Wako's seal since Sugato could have just stood there and not fought back while in control.

That said, the obvious reason for destroying Wako's seal and destroying Samekh clearly saves both Wako and Sugato, so one has to wonder what Takuto was actually planning on doing prior to having this choice almost forced upon him. I mean seriously. What was Takuto's original plan? Does he realize he spent all that time "saving" Wako when he was doing the exact opposite for 24 episodes? Little ungrateful son should send a huge thank you card to his father for pushing him to the only logical outcome that frees the girl he loves. Is that irony? I don't know, but I sure laughed. In the end, the son shows himself to be completely beholden to his father for his happiness. Lol. I'm literally in tears at how hilarious this is as this is probably the exact opposite of what we're supposed to take from the whole punch his father dynamic between the two.

Then again, very little made sense. As has been pointed out, Head's entire purpose for all this was to regain everything he threw away in order to regain everything he threw away in order to...yea. I'm trying to think of a dumber and more pointless motivation for a villain, but I'm having a hard time doing so (QB's fight against the heat death of the universe which won't come until 1 x 10 to the more zeros than I care to type out years comes a close second, so maybe there was just something in the water this season). Of course, we're never told/shown/hinted at what the master plan behind the Crux was as they were being manipulated by Kanako's billionaire husband or any of a million loose ends. Why? Because even the show's authors, I think, realize nothing really makes sense, and that they should just stick with what works by needing no explanations: FABULOUS fights.

Star Driver was at its best when it concentrated on its characters. All three or four episodes. It was at its worst when it concentrated instead on some completely superfluous "mecha" fights as interesting as watching my finger nails grow. Those three to four episodes kept raising my hopes that Star Driver would raise its head over its derivative FABULOUS emptiness, but it didn't. It's just a little depressing that it was done by Bones, and that if you include this show, Gosick, and Heroman, their last three shows have been well below their normal standards. They spent years where I could appreciate their shows on one level or another, so this recent trend of theirs is probably what hurts me the most, which may be a part of why I judge Star Driver so harshly.

Last edited by creb; 2011-04-05 at 02:04.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 01:43   Link #2906
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Perfectionist? No, not at all. All we're asking for is a plot that makes sense (or any plot, really) and characters that we understand and are likeable. Star Driver fails quite tremendously in both these regards, particularly with the characters.

Honestly, can anyone tell me why any of the characters did what they did? Why did Takuto like Wako? Why did Sugata like Wako? Why did Wako like Takuto and Sugata? And what really frustates me is how blase all the characters are. None of the characters show any real emotion, even as all this extraordinary shit is happening to them, even events that are supposed to be personally significant, they just seem to take it in stride. Take for instance, when Takuto finally meets up with his dad. What, he just punches him in the face and that's it? Why? What kinds of feelings does he have towards his dad? Are we meant to infer that he hates him? If so, why? Well, I guess it doesn't matter because it's never really brought up again.

Not to mention the horribly unsettling message of, "Hey, there's no need to make a difficult decision like who you want to fall in love with, even if it comes at the expense of the heartbreak of another person (Keito), because bigamy is cool anyway."
as far as i understand your comment is that you like more details, seriously people now a days want everything to be spoon feed to them like 12 years old? (lol i love that Head's statement now ) this show is not One Piece, Naruto, Bleach that will present even trivial things to you

Sugata and Wako is on an arrange marriage if you remember, so they grow up together with Keito and that Sugata and Wako developed a strong love for each other, ye you might say i do not remember this at all well of course you do not because it was implied on some scenes and their is no dedicated episodes for what im saying, and why did Wako love both Takuto and Sugata? again if your not paying attention to the hints then youll not get it, Takuto is in love with Wako and he shouts many times during his Zero Time battle that he will protect Wako so with that Wako will be in love with Takuto too and i just remember watch episode 4 too that is when Takuto and Wako become more close to each other, and about his feelings towards his Dad well their we go again Takuto hates his dad because he was abandoned by him and left him to his Grand Father (watch episode 16 again)

the pacing of Star Driver is just so fast that such details that you people seek are already present that you overlook them, your not just paying much attention to it, well i can understand your mentality too now because you like shows like One Piece that every details are too repetitive or drag out and overly dramatic that you cannot forget it

Last edited by j0x; 2011-04-05 at 03:17.
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 01:56   Link #2907
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
as far as i understand your comment is that you like more details, seriously people now a days want everything to be spoon feed to them like 12 years old? (lol i love that Head's statement now ) this show is not One Piece, Naruto, Bleach that will present even trivial things to you
Explaining character motivations and why they do what they do are not "trivial things." It's storytelling 101.

Also, lulz at you lumping Naruto and Bleach in with One Piece. Those two are even worse than Star Driver.

Quote:
Sugata and Wako is on an arrange marriage if you remember, so they grow up together with Keito and that Sugata and Wako developed a strong love for each other,
So? They can't just tell that to the audience and expect us to care. So they're in an arranged marriage. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to love each other. And if they do love each other, why?

Quote:
ye you might say i do not remember this at all well of course you do not because it was implied on some scenes and their is no dedicated episodes for what im saying,
You can't imply shit like that! You can't "imply" a reason for why two people like each other, especially when that aspect of the show is so significant. That's not clever writing, it's horribly stupid writing.

Quote:
and why did Wako love both Takuto and Sugata? again if your not paying attention to the hints then youll not get it,
I shouldn't fucking have to! Again, this isn't clever. These are the foundations for the characters that determines how they act and why we should care about them. I shouldn't have to play a guessing game with the writers because they can't characterize worth a damn.

Quote:
Takuto is in love with Wako and he shouts many times during his Zero Time battle that he will protect Wako so with that Wako will be in love with Takuto too
WHY?!! All you're saying is what he does. I want to know why he does it!

Quote:
and i just remember watch episode 4 too that is when Takuto and Wako become more close to each other,
Care to elaborate?

Quote:
and about his feelings towards his Dad well their we go again Takuto hates his dad because he was abandoned by him and left him to his Grand Father (watch episode 16 again)
He doesn't seem to be very affected by it. Doesn't seem to show a whole lot of emotion or resentment for his parental abandonment.

Quote:
the pacing of Star Drier is just so fast that such details that you people seek are already present that you overlook them,
If the pacing is bad, that's the fault of the writers. We do need time to understand and grow attached to these characters and how the events of their lives affect them.

Quote:
your not just paying much attention to it, well i can understand your mentality too now because you like shows like One Piece that every details are too repetitive or drag out and overly dramatic that you cannot forget it
One Piece is a masterpiece compared to Star Driver.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:01   Link #2908
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
He doesn't seem to be very affected by it. Doesn't seem to show a whole lot of emotion or resentment for his parental abandonment.
dude when a child is abandoned by his parents he will feel bad, for example
on situations like he sees his other childhood friends getting all the fun
with their father that abandoned child will feel envious and make him
angry towards his own father, this is the kind of details you like to see right?
again this is not shows like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach that will show you
every darn details in an over dramatic fashion, so Star Driver is saying to you
that you use your imagination a little bit

well i stand by my conclusion that you just like details to be presented on a overly dramatic fashion like most long shounen does again One Piece *ahem* i feel asleep watching One Piece because its too darn drag out with details, its overly detailed lol
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:11   Link #2909
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
dude when a child is abandoned by his parents he will feel bad, for example
on situations like he sees his other childhood friends getting all the fun
with their father that abandoned child will feel envious and make him
angry towards his own father, this is the kind of details you like to see right?
YES! I do want to see that! I don't think there's a single seen that shows Takuto's emotional state in regard to his father's abandonment. What the hell do you have against characters emoting?
Quote:
again this is not shows like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach that will show you
every darn details in an over dramatic fashion, so Star Driver is saying to you
that you use your imagination a little bit
In other words, Star Driver is not a show that will make you give a damn about the characters. And for gods sake, will you please stop lumping Bleach and Naruto in with One Piece?
Quote:
well i stand by my conclusion that you just like details to be presented on a overly dramatic fashion like most long shounen does again One Piece *ahem* i feel asleep watching One Piece because its too darn drag out with details, its overly detailed lol
Oh yeah, characters showing some genuine emotion is REALLY overdramatic. You have no taste.

How old are you, twelve?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:13   Link #2910
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
@Nobodyman9

lol you mad? the truth hurts doesnt it? ok ill stop now and act like 12 years old /sarcasm
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:45   Link #2911
n120cky
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
why Takuto had to break Wako's seal to destroy Samekh.
Well if Head destroy 3 seal then at least Takuto must destroy one seal, like father like son .
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:47   Link #2912
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
@Nobodyman9

lol you mad?
I've noticed that this phrase tends to be used by uninspired dolts who can't back up their arguments.

Quote:
the truth hurts doesnt it?
That people like you are taken seriously? Yeah, that is pretty frustrating.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:51   Link #2913
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Star Driver won't be remembered as one of the greatest mecha series (or at all) but it never had such an ambition.
That's not what the hype around the show was claiming to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's purpose was just to provide entertainment in an above than average manner in perfect Bones' style.
Too bad all their stories eventually fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
This series remained true to its purpose from the beginning to the end, never promising anything groundbreaking and never letting me down.
I though half the viewers were waiting for a most fabulous plot twist to happen and change the repetitive plot. Or for the story to finally have a plot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
It really dose break my heart to read these comments. Whatever happened to the sense of disbelief, getting wrapped up in the moment, and having fun just setting back enjoying a show.

Don't get me wrong I have my standards too and have condemned my share of bad anime however I can't see anything unforgivable enough to warrant such harsh words. It makes me question do people even like anime now a days anymore?
Back in the 80's I would come back every day from school to see a stand alone episode of Gatchaman. I had no problem becuase there was nothing better at that time on tv. But today there are a million chanels and a hundred series at the same time. Plus I am now more demanding and I expect some plot. That is why this felt bad to me. It was fine for the first three episodes but then I got bored.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:56   Link #2914
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
^ Well then they thought wrong.

Geez Nobodyman, don't bother watching Wandering Son because you'll probably be wondering why Nitori wants to be a girl in the first place...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:58   Link #2915
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurawings View Post
But if you take the time to look for small meanings behind seemingly insignificant conversations and scenes, I think you'll find another level to the story that makes it great. The show gives out plenty of background hints and stories, but the key is to let your imagination fill in the blanks for you.
Utena was planned by the same guy and yet looks ten times more interesting.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:04   Link #2916
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Utena was planned by the same guy and yet looks ten times more interesting.
if you say thats your opinion only then thats good, take note not all people represent your views
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:07   Link #2917
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ Yes, it is my opinion and so happens that I have yet to find someone who would prefer Utena to Star Driver. And lol for claiming Star Driver is better than One Piece because the story is GOING WAY TOO FAST AND VAGUELY HINTS STUFF THAT BY THE NEXT EPISODE DON'T EVEN MATER.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:27   Link #2918
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Geez Nobodyman, don't bother watching Wandering Son because you'll probably be wondering why Nitori wants to be a girl in the first place...
Never heard of it. Looked up a quick synopsis on Wikipedia. Sounds like stupid, manipulative, otaku-bait.

Also, yeah, inherent gender confusion and reasons for loving or hating somebody are totally the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
^ Yes, it is my opinion and so happens that I have yet to find someone who would prefer Utena to Star Driver. And lol for claiming Star Driver is better than One Piece because the story is GOING WAY TOO FAST AND VAGUELY HINTS STUFF THAT BY THE NEXT EPISODE DON'T EVEN MATER.
Wouldn't it be great if we never got Nami's flashback in the Arlong arc? Seriously, why didn't Oda just give us a glimpse of one or two panels of Nami and Nojiko having fun with Bellemere and then another of Arlong killing her? That would've been fine. No need for fully developed and fleshed out character histories that explain their motivations and put things into context.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:33   Link #2919
Kyouka
Is Here
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Never heard of it. Looked up a quick synopsis on Wikipedia. Sounds like stupid, manipulative, otaku-bait.

Also, yeah, inherent gender confusion and reasons for loving or hating somebody are totally the same thing.

Wouldn't it be great if we never got Nami's flashback in the Arlong arc? Seriously, why didn't Oda just give us a glimpse of one or two panels of Nami and Nojiko having fun with Bellemere and then another of Arlong killing her? That would've been fine. No need for fully developed and fleshed out character histories that explain their motivations and put things into context.
I bet your one of those people that think lulu is still alive or the cart driver
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:35   Link #2920
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Never heard of it. Looked up a quick synopsis on Wikipedia. Sounds like stupid, manipulative, otaku-bait.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha what?

Seriously, what? I don't even like the show that much and I can tell you it's nothing like what you think it is. It's pretty much the exact opposite of 'otaku-bait'.

Next time before you judge a show, try watching some of it first.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.