AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 17:30   Link #461
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrinitas668
Quote:
—The catchphrase attached to the series, “Dazzling the stage, Galactic Pretty Boy!” is pointing at that too, isn’t it? It’s a kind of embarrassing catchphrase though, isn’t it? (lol).
ENOKIDO “How’s that!” I say. If it’s just normally embarrassing, it’s no good, in my opinion (lol).
ENOKIDO So, I was struck with the phrase “Galactic Pretty Boy,” but, after all, it’s just an homage to “Meteor Boy” and “Space Boy” and it just sounds retro. That’s not it, what I was thinking about at the time was that, in the past phrases like “Meteor Boy” and “Space Boy” made my heart pound for real, and I wanted to share that feeling with people now. That’s when it struck me, I added “pretty” and ended up with “Galactic Pretty Boy.” Even though everyone around me was laughing (lol).
tl;dr Yes, it's supposed to be funny/embarrassing.
Not that it matters, but I read that exactly the opposite way. Enokido is saying that he wants us to have our hearts "pound for real." That's what I mean. Everyone around him might have been laughing, but he suggests that he was taking it seriously. I still think "pretty boy" is a bad translation of bishounen in this context.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to know more about how the director sees the context. Can you give me a link to the Japanese source of the interview?

Personally, I'm taking the whole thing seriously -- as retro shows we laugh at now were supposed to be taken when they were first on -- and letting others have their enjoyment vitiated by seeing it all as a silly joke. Works for me so far.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 18:06   Link #462
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Sugata stole the show IMO. He obviously cares for Wako in some way, and puts her happiness above all else... maybe, even if it isn't with him? Dunno, need more clues to see if he really likes her that way.

And yes, I really like those kind of characters, if my handle is of any indication. So yeah, definitely rooting for Sugata/Wako for now.

At the very least though, I actually like how they portray that arranged marriage... neither party is acting like that being in an arranged marriage is the most disgusting thing on earth. Two thumbs up bones!
I personally think Sugata does have a major problem with the betrothment. It's just that it is unusual the rich male is the one who is opposed to it. But as long as Wako insist the marriage needs to go ahead, Sugata can't do much about it. Sugata is going to have to go for the passive-aggressive angle, gently nudging her towards Takuto until she would be willing break with tradition and elope.
Old 2010-10-04, 18:15   Link #463
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm now convinced this show is going to be a send-up of all the homo-erotic trends that have been developing in mecha anime for the past 15 or so years. This is going to be awesome.

I mean when you have the voices of now legendary yaoi bait characters Setsuna F. Seiei and Lelouch Vi Britannia as two of the main characters you know what's in store.
As well as Bone's version of Asura Cryin. Haruka Tomatsu plays the voice of another conduit for a mecha who has be nude 75% of the time
Old 2010-10-04, 18:33   Link #464
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Not that it matters, but I read that exactly the opposite way. Enokido is saying that he wants us to have our hearts "pound for real." That's what I mean. Everyone around him might have been laughing, but he suggests that he was taking it seriously. I still think "pretty boy" is a bad translation of bishounen in this context.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to know more about how the director sees the context. Can you give me a link to the Japanese source of the interview?

Personally, I'm taking the whole thing seriously -- as retro shows we laugh at now were supposed to be taken when they were first on -- and letting others have their enjoyment vitiated by seeing it all as a silly joke. Works for me so far.
You made good points about the "Bishounen" translation issue.

Still, I don't think that this can be taken seriously. After all, only way I could take something on a 70s super robo level "seriously" is if I was like 10-14 still.

I mean sure, some cheesy super robot 70s shows got really serious at the end right? Like with Tomino's Zambot or the like?

There was nothing hinted at that in that first ep, I just felt Igarashi and Enokido having a ball saying "YES MORE FIGHTS, MORE MYSTERY, MORE WIN, MOAR SPARKLE!!"

Really like I said before, what attracted me to the show is how they matter of factly trotted out all this hoary material, polished up with new shine, gave it some panache and flair and didn't knock you over the head with anything.

It's like tounge and cheek but played straight at the same time (cause I don't get any parody feel here).

Also Takuto is really cool, no "gotta find my self". "Be the best blah blah" or broody self reflective angst with this kid. From the get go he's just out to have some fun AND KICK SOME ASS WHILE SPARKLING DAMMIT!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 19:14   Link #465
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Sounds like a gay version of Bishoujo Sailor Moon, doesn't it?

Damn you Lulu, because of you all shounen heroes now need to be homos!

And what are my thoughts?
Retarded, full of brainless antiques and random transformations, pseudomystery and tired archetyped bijin characters going in fastforward trying to look cool, terrible action and uninspired themes, maids with cat ears and schoolgirls dressed like clowns, cast made for eroge TM, cardboards I don't give a damn about and lots of other poops I am too bored to rage at now.

Or the short version: Not so good first impressions.

Who bets they will try to explain everything in the end again and make no sense whatsoever?
Yes, well I can understand how a show like this can be a tough sell for someone who is seemingly always in "IT'S REVIEW TIME" mode. Personally I don't think this show is built to stand up to any sort of real scrutiny based on my own first impression. It knows what it is (at least I think so but I might be as premature as anyone) in a brainless action-comedy piece and I guess that is that. If anyone were come out now and say "I'll have to wait a couple of episodes to see if I like it" I think that would be their way of politely saying they aren't going to like it. Hard pressed to believe anyone couldn't know right off the bat with this one.

Anyway I'm not making any bets either way on that. It'll come down to what exactly there is too explain I think. It's kind of hard to gauge from the first episode and shows like this are always throwing out new concepts right up to the finish line. Although judging by how Star Driver seems to be a concept about a concept (i.e homoerotic undertones in mecha anime) I'm almost tempted to ask what exactly there might be too explain in the end. Guess we'll see eh?

That's probably all the thoughtful examining of this show I plan on doing by the way folks. I mean really......
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 19:53   Link #466
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Hey, wait a secong...
Sparkling + homo? That sounds familiar...

TWILIGHT! (pukes)

Ok, they are actually expecting me to like something that has just, oh, that resemblence to that, oh, let's call it book that was a, oh, let's say a freaking success.

Yeah, if that idea sold out, why not make an anime version of it? With mecha.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 19:59   Link #467
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Hey, wait a secong...
Sparkling + homo? That sounds familiar...

TWILIGHT! (pukes)

Ok, they are actually expecting me to like something that has just, oh, that resemblence to that, oh, let's call it book that was a, oh, let's say a freaking success.

Yeah, if that idea sold out, why not make an anime version of it? With mecha.
Err... are you serious?
Bishonens had been sparkling in manga ever since manga existed.
Old 2010-10-04, 20:06   Link #468
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

On the issue of Ginga Bishonen, I get the impression it works both ways, both in a comical, funny manner as well as the honourable mention that Kaoru mentioned.

If we assume that the moniker of G.B. wasn't pre-established, but an extension of how a former person named himself the G.B, then Takuto pretty much states it out the spirit that is present on how one is a G.B. It's flamboyant, but also heartfelt and honest, a traditional hero existence that doesn't hide itself behind a mask.

To a 3rd party, the G.B. call-name and concept may reeks of a mockery, parody, hilarity or whatever it's percieved due to how 'cheesy' it sounds.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 20:12   Link #469
Qikz

I really enjoyed that first episode! Maybe not as much as I enjoyed the first Heroman episode, but it was still awesome.

Can't wait for more.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 20:47   Link #470
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The ginger bishonen w/ flamboyant mannerisms in his androgynous robot w/ huge female thighs, big shoulders, and flat chest. Oh yeah, the robot has a plumed hat. Oh yeah, the pilot has his pretty boy transformation.

The anime seems skinny on the story. Seems to be going for "quirky." Not very "retro."

No
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 21:05   Link #471
suburbanbanshee

Well, in view of the retro theme, it probably ought to be translated something like Kid Galaxy or Galaxy Lad or possibly Galacto-Hunk. But between Marvel and DC, I'm sure those names are taken.

My current theory is that an intergalactic Cirque de Soleil crashed on the island in medieval times.

Ten to one, our noble rich kid is honestly noble, honestly feels like a big brother to Wako in a lot of ways, and also is in love with somebody else. (Possibly a guy, but quite possibly Sakana or one of the other girls.)

He might also be expecting to die soon, and thus is hoping to set up Wako with somebody who won't be killed.

Wako is an interesting name, btw. The waegu/wako were the pirates from Japan that raided Korea and China.
suburbanbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 21:16   Link #472
Lelouch Tatsumi

Send a message via AIM to Lelouch Tatsumi Send a message via MSN to Lelouch Tatsumi Send a message via Skype™ to Lelouch Tatsumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
The ginger bishonen w/ flamboyant mannerisms in his androgynous robot
Just wanna point out the phrase is "Ginga Bishounen", not ginger.
Lelouch Tatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 21:36   Link #473
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Someone on another forum pointed this out and compared it to this which I think is pretty clever. It doesn't seem to mean much but it was mentioned in the episode that Takuto (actually took a second to think of his name, I keep thinking of him as GB) connected with the 22nd cybuddy and the marking on him is the 22nd letter of the Phoenecian alphabet. So again, nothing really important but kinda neat.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 21:50   Link #474
kresslia
I dunno what to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Someone on another forum pointed this out and compared it to this which I think is pretty clever. It doesn't seem to mean much but it was mentioned in the episode that Takuto (actually took a second to think of his name, I keep thinking of him as GB) connected with the 22nd cybuddy and the marking on him is the 22nd letter of the Phoenecian alphabet. So again, nothing really important but kinda neat.
Yeah, I saw that mentioned more in depth on this blog. Seems quite interesting and well thought out.
kresslia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 21:52   Link #475
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I understood 0% of that.

But I'm 100% signed the fuck on.

Gimme more~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 23:00   Link #476
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Takuto is so pretty he gets a guy transformation sequence and he has "pretty" in his name. That's just how pretty he is.

Was it FABULOUS? Well - bishounen and production yen were flying about like bats in the belfry, so I guess it was pretty fab. It's BONES - it looked and sounded amazing, was basically indecipherable and featured an all-star seiyuu cast. Fortunately it didn't appear to take itself at all seriously - the tone was one of flamboyant silliness that more or less had me bought in by the time of the new student mixer. I don't know if this is going to be the masterpiece some are saying, but it sure showed it's pedigree.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 01:13   Link #477
_gallo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Here's what I'm wondering about the OP:

It's obviously storyboarded and directed to look like a single cut animation, but stuff like that is usually animated by one person. But yet the credits list an animation director, a mecha animation director, a motion designer, a layout artist, and a whooping 10 keyframe animators, and an art designer. That's a lot of different staff to simulate a one cut animation.

I'm guessing that the "motion designer" (Hiroki Tanaka) did a rough animation sequence for the entire thing, mostly to time all of Takuto's movements along with all the other elements. It's likely that only one or possible 2-3 at most of the keyframe animators then polished up and did detailed animation for Takuto's movement sequence as the main element, while the other keyframe animators animated the various elements separately (the students walking, the bike and cars, the ferret, the mecha, etc). Nakamura probably animated the sequence of Tauburn coming out of the water, since that looks very similar to his sort of work.

Thoughts?
Well, I don’t know the animation process so in deep, but the last seconds of the op reminded me of Tanaka’s work, like as he did not only rough genga (is the correct word?), but actually drew the final key frames for that part.

Aside from this, it was a very promising episode. The direction was very strong as expected from a veteran like Igarashi. Here I think he can take out the best of both Ouran and SE. From the former the funny school scenes, from the latter the mecha fights and the action in general. I would say that it is the best Bones episode I’ve seen in a long while. The writing was also good, even if the characters look a bit cliched.

I only realized after some time that the painting was actually a Rahxephon’s reference.

Now what I hope is that the pacing or the story won’t fall apart like others Bones shows of the past years.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2010-10-05 at 01:45.
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 01:59   Link #478
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
Well, I don’t know the animation process so in deep, but the last seconds of the op reminded me of Tanaka’s work, like as he did not only rough genga (is the correct word?), but actually drew the final key frames for that part.
Yes, Tanaka definitely did the final part when Tawburn flies off. He also handled the Takuto transformation scene, and the Tawburn posing scene.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 02:39   Link #479
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Loved both the OP and the ED, song and animation. I was disappointed not to get any of Hayamin's amazing voice, but Tomatsu Haruka did a good job with the simple insert song.
Oh the insert was Tomatsu? Definitely sounds better than her usual stuff, I guess j1m0ne is right in that she sings better in character than normally.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 04:26   Link #480
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Wow...to be honest I had no freakin' idea what was going on. Did I smoke pot and was high without even knowing about it? Episode left me bamboozled. Wow.

*rubs eyes*
O_O

Trap + Ponytail + Mini-skirt + Stockings = Deadly Combo
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen