AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-23, 13:49   Link #1861
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep16:
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 14:51   Link #1862
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Spoiler for Episode 16:
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 15:01   Link #1863
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Well, it's official.

Our protagonist will never taste defeat. Because, we all know heroes who never have to face adversity and grow from it are the best heroes!

With the new season bringing some anime worth watching, this has officially become not worth following.

And great job Marino. Showing up after your sister has her seal broken. Though, in all seriousness, I still see no reason why we should side with Takuto in protecting the seals.

About the only thing with any promise in the entire episode was that Sugata didn't intervene with his pillar. If that's a harbinger for his eventual kicking of Takuto's butt as his views on the whole matter start to tilt towards glittery, then I suppose there was something good about an otherwise horrible episode.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 15:31   Link #1864
Stefkov
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Spoiler for Ep 16:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Episode 16:
I also thought of TTGL when Tauburn powered up.
Spoiler for Pictures.:
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 16:12   Link #1865
Destinyblade
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Well, it's official.

Our protagonist will never taste defeat. Because, we all know heroes who never have to face adversity and grow from it are the best heroes!

With the new season bringing some anime worth watching, this has officially become not worth following.
I haven’t watched all the shows done by BONES, but the ones I’ve seen suggest that they always make the characters the central focus. This is very obvious because BONES shows are almost entirely made up of character arcs, and in some cases, the story/plot is like an afterthought. It sometimes makes me wonder if what they say in their meeting rooms is, “Oh yeah, we need to wrap up the story. Let’s do that in the last two episodes.”

Star Driver is no different from this. If they wanted the fights to be more suspenseful or take more of the center stage, they wouldn’t be doing a Cybody-of-the-week and make Takuto win every time. The Cybody mecha fights seem to be more of a gimmick to entice viewers to watch their show. As we’ve seen thus far, the show’s true intention is to explore as many characters as possible and develop them and their relationships.

That's what makes BONES so different from a studio like Sunrise. If this were a Sunrise show, the Cybody fights would have more focus and be very different from this.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 16:32   Link #1866
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Spoiler for ep 16:
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 16:45   Link #1867
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
That's what makes BONES so different from a studio like Sunrise. If this were a Sunrise show, the Cybody fights would have more focus and be very different from this.
In a Sunrise show, each Cybody fight would last 1.5 episodes. Just the transformation sequence would go on for five minutes.

Maybe my demands for this show are not particularly high, but I'm still enjoying the fabulousness of it. Not a dull moment since the start, although I certainly agree that there are some pretty questionable moments as far as the actual plot is concerned. That's another thing Star Driver has in common with Utena.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 17:24   Link #1868
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
I haven’t watched all the shows done by BONES, but the ones I’ve seen suggest that they always make the characters the central focus. This is very obvious because BONES shows are almost entirely made up of character arcs, and in some cases, the story/plot is like an afterthought. It sometimes makes me wonder if what they say in their meeting rooms is, “Oh yeah, we need to wrap up the story. Let’s do that in the last two episodes.”

Star Driver is no different from this. If they wanted the fights to be more suspenseful or take more of the center stage, they wouldn’t be doing a Cybody-of-the-week and make Takuto win every time. The Cybody mecha fights seem to be more of a gimmick to entice viewers to watch their show. As we’ve seen thus far, the show’s true intention is to explore as many characters as possible and develop them and their relationships.

That's what makes BONES so different from a studio like Sunrise. If this were a Sunrise show, the Cybody fights would have more focus and be very different from this.
I think you missed my point. I don't really care about mecha fights. It's just that Takuto hasn't really dealt with any adversity at all with the season more than half over. Whether that comes via some glorified mecha fight or not isn't really the issue.

It's a very, very, very rare story, no matter if it's some Sunrise mecha-fest, or a touching character drama, that has a protagonist that never faces real adversity. I'm actually having a very difficult time trying to think of a show/story off the top of my head that featured a protagonist that never faced real adversity.

It's not like the creators of this show don't know what adversity is. Plenty of characters have had to face it. So, it's obviously a conscious choice of theirs to make their main character not have to face any. I just find that to be a very odd, and unappealing choice.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 17:53   Link #1869
FlavoryFantasy
┬──┬╯︵ /(.□. \)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: At one of the greatest libraries in existence
Age: 20
Spoiler for episode 16:
__________________
Ava/Sig - TheEroKing
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:00   Link #1870
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Spoiler for well just in case:
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:16   Link #1871
Freya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California.
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Freya
Tauburn officially unstoppable. Close Head. You need another power up.
__________________
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:17   Link #1872
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 22
Spoiler for ep 16:
__________________
I can’t sleep tonight…fish girl, sing me a song!
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:22   Link #1873
Destinyblade
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I think you missed my point. I don't really care about mecha fights. It's just that Takuto hasn't really dealt with any adversity at all with the season more than half over. Whether that comes via some glorified mecha fight or not isn't really the issue.
I guess I should have been more specific in my response.

BONES shows usually focus more on character relationships and their backstories, but they're also very open-minded on what kind of characters they create. They focus on this so much that they tend to ignore what usually are big no-no's in storytelling. For instance, Takuto's "invulnerability" as a character (which is a little reminiscent of Kira in GSD).

So what I'm trying to get at is that I don't believe BONES really concerns itself with the fact that they made Takuto have no real struggle yet. They're jumping from one character to the next so Takuto probably won't face a problem until it's his turn to get the spotlight. Again, this is normally something you don't do when telling a story because he's not really "the main character" in a sense. He's more of an outlet to either solve or explore the difficulties of the other characters. But BONES doesn't usually follow the unspoken rules of telling a story: they seem to be more of a studio that tries new stuff out or mixing in a couple of things to get an interesting result.

They did the same thing in another one of their originals called Ayakashi Ayashi. They set up a "character arc" for the main character, Ryuudou Yukiatsu. Once his arc was done, the writers focused on other characters and Yukiatsu never really faced a challenge or had more focus.

Because BONES does this sort of thing is why I think their shows have mixed results in terms of commerical success and popularity. In all honesty, the only show I've seen from BONES that I would call an excellent show all-around (characters, story, art, etc.) would be the first Fullmetal Alchemist series, but that was a manga adaptation, so it wouldn't be fair to give the studio all the credit for that.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending the studio for things they shouldn't really ignore. I'm just explaining what I've observed, based on watching a few of their previous shows.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:36   Link #1874
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
I think it is easier to think of the story from the antagonist's point of view. The Crux are the true main characters, and Takuto is the immovable object they are trying to force out of the way.

After all, Takuto protects the status quo. It is the Crux who wants to change things.

In that respect, it is clear why Takuto can't lose; though the Crux IS making good progress, as they did succeed in breaking another seal. Takuto can't undo the damage.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:40   Link #1875
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for well just in case:
Spoiler for Head:


Also, are we positive that Takuto's in the Fourth Phase with Tauburn? It seems the most likely, but could it be something else?
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:43   Link #1876
IronFenix
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I don't see what's the big drama about Takuto never losing. Yeah, it would be more realistic if he loses at one point in time, but to write off an anime based on this is kind of ridiculous. Personally, he can win all he wants, I enjoy this anime for the character development and the story progression.
IronFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:47   Link #1877
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
In all honesty, the only show I've seen from BONES that I would call an excellent show all-around (characters, story, art, etc.) would be the first Fullmetal Alchemist series, but that was a manga adaptation, so it wouldn't be fair to give the studio all the credit for that.
Eureka 7 it's a great series and a prime example of what are talking about.

@ars89

I don't think he wanted to see him lose just that if he could really when without his help.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:49   Link #1878
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I think it is easier to think of the story from the antagonist's point of view. The Crux are the true main characters, and Takuto is the immovable object they are trying to force out of the way.

After all, Takuto protects the status quo. It is the Crux who wants to change things.

In that respect, it is clear why Takuto can't lose; though the Crux IS making good progress, as they did succeed in breaking another seal. Takuto can't undo the damage.
It'd be an interesting thing if that actually ended up being the case, though thus far only Kanako has displayed any sort of interest in using Cybodies for the good of others and it would seem somewhat worrying to have a bunch of people running around with giant robots. That seems to be part of Sarina's reasoning anyway and it does have logic to it.

Takuto does want to change things though. He wants Wako, and probably Sugata as well, to be able to leave the island though that seems very unlikely given how the island keeps them on the island now. Both seem to have similar desires actually, though Takuto quite frankly doesn't know as much about what's going on as them.

It still couldn't hurt the Crux to perhaps approach Takuto peacefully and actually try to explain their position. A little late in the game to do so I guess. It seems likely that Sugata will end up going over to them, perhaps out of a desire for power.


You know, I have to wonder what would happen if he did lose. Would he be unable to use his Cybody or repair it, thus putting him completely out of the game?
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:53   Link #1879
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFenix View Post
I don't see what's the big drama about Takuto never losing. Yeah, it would be more realistic if he loses at one point in time, but to write off an anime based on this is kind of ridiculous. Personally, he can win all he wants, I enjoy this anime for the character development and the story progression.
Agreed. It's not like him not losing fights is preventing the story from moving forward, as shown by the fact that...

Spoiler for episode 16:
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:56   Link #1880
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
It still couldn't hurt the Crux to perhaps approach Takuto peacefully and actually try to explain their position. A little late in the game to do so I guess. It seems likely that Sugata will end up going over to them, perhaps out of a desire for power.
That would be so funny it were to happen!

Crux: Look I know we've had some disagreements in the past but you seem to be the strongest in the universe right now so what say we let by gone be by gone and join forces to change the world for the greater good.

Takuto:Umm...no

Crux: How about we toss in this FABULOUS uniform!

Takuto:

Wako: TAKUTO-KUN!

Takuto: I'm Thinking! I'm Thinking!


Quote:
You know, I have to wonder what would happen if he did lose. Would he be unable to use his Cybody or repair it, thus putting him completely out of the game?
Thats must likely the reason the creators can't have him lose...It'll be hard to write a way to get him back in the game.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.