AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 71 42.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 20.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 12.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 11.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 3.61%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.60%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-19, 19:56   Link #161
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I don't think a full season would have made things better.

I think the problem is with the script itself. It's just not a very strong base material.
I'm starting to wonder about that too. It's possible that a longer season would have just made things drag out but either way the current state is not ideal.
Jarmel is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 21:03   Link #162
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
"100 men"

"What?"

"Assume your force just grew by 100 men"

Shiina is too cool... Kanade is great as usual and we have Yuri with "love"

so next eps we can expect the graduation/mass disappearance
klare is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 21:28   Link #163
Raiza Sunozaki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I still think a longer length for Angel Beats! would have made it a better series. However, I also think we'd then have people saying it feels too much like Clannad or Kanon. Personally, I think that while a larger series would have permitted better character growth, it would've ended up as an arc-based series, with Yuzuru moving from member to member, solving their individual problems.
And now that I think upon that, I realize I wouldn't of liked that one bit. One of the core themes of Angel Beats! is the bonds that have been forged between the members of the SSS, how they can operate as a team in any circumstance. The method of individually ascending them, in my opinion, kills this entire theme. In order to sustain this theme, Maeda still would've had to have most, if not all of them, ascend at the end of the series.
So this begs the question: how would he fill the rest of the series? If he can't ascend people after giving them character development, it would give the arc a hollow feeling. More so, that kind of method, moving from one character to the next, works fine for a slow-paced, episodic (or arc-driven) anime like Clannad or Kanon. However, Angel Beats! is not a slow-paced series. It's as much an action series as it is a typical Key anime. Combining engaging and unique action scenes, appropriate character development and growth, while forging the relationships of the series and keeping the typical feel of a Key anime, is very difficult over a longer period of time. The action begins to stale out, there would probably still be some characters who are left aside so the more important/popular ones can get more screentime, and the only thing that might remain in good quality would be what Maeda does best: the typical tear-jerker scenes.
So while Angel Beats! might have felt rushed, at least it never slowed down to an unbearable pace. I know we got some almost "filler" episodes throughout the series, but it still kept up a fairly quick pace, and I have yet to see someone say something bad about the action, so that means that it has managed to stay fairly engaging. Yes, plently of characters have come and gone with barely any development, but even in a longer series, they still would've probably been pushed aside. And still, we're all quite familiar with the members of the SSS, even if they haven't gotten much screentime. And the relationships between some of the characters are anything but subtle. Then to top it off, no matter how rushed the series may feel, Maeda still managed to throw in his typical tear-jerker scenes, which in some people's cases (such as mine) have worked nicely, and others, apparently not.
So, after thinking on it a lot, I've decided I'm not going to complain about the short length of the series anymore, as I've decided it suits Angel Beats! fine.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 21:30   Link #164
Knightrunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States--- California
This episode was fast paced but awsome. I'm glad they gave Yurippe the spotlight she deserved
1. The classroom scene
2. The crazy laugh moment
3. The shooting down the computer after she said humans don't wait 10 min
4. Memories of her siblings along with her crying
5. Waking up with some of the core SSS members
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappearing to me is almost like death. Once they disappear they will have no memories of their past lives or even the afterlife. Without these memories they are essential a completely different person in what makes them a strong character. If Yurippe disappeared she would have forgotten about her siblings and SSS group which would change her perspective of the world. I am too fond of the characters they become. Once they disappear it is like being recycled changing to a different property. Once they have been recycled the are a different person with a different life. Kind of gloomy when I think about it Does anybody else have a different opinion about disappearing?

I hope they will give us a chance to see what happen's to them after they graduate their afterlife.
__________________
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6139/omk1.jpg
Credit to grylsygaeger
Knightrunner is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 21:43   Link #165
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Omg when Yuri said humans don't have the patience to wait even 10 min I got a flashback to when she described her sad life and her siblings...

That was really subtle yet potent, out of the whole ep I thought that scene spoke the most to me. Not the dialogue she had to the class, not the end when her siblings told her thanks, or when girl dead monster disappeared, but when Yuri said that humans don't have the patience to wait even 10 minutes and then the climax to the bgm started playing that was what spoke to me the most, got me teary eyed....
__________________
holyman282 is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 22:29   Link #166
roankun
Tsundere Lover
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to roankun
I myself would have preferred a 24 episode season, but thinking how it would have ended up if it were like that isnt my style. I prefer to think that the producers/directors/whoever would have done something to make it awesome. ^^ Then again, Mayoi Neko is changing my opinion of anime directors...

Ahem. This episode is... Well... I was wondering what could have possibly caused all those, and then when that bland guy said "Love" I was all 'that was so corny...'

I guess it just didnt live up to my expectations? Anyway, a second season is preferrable, maybe one picking up right before the confrontation so no one has disappeared yet? An AU or something. ^^
roankun is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 23:02   Link #167
SageGaiGar
You are Next
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE USA
Good.. Bad... All that matters in this series is the pure concentration of awesome that is TK
__________________
sig courtesy of Haak and Natsuki Hyuga
Friends don't let friends CB
SageGaiGar is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 23:03   Link #168
raxel
Kamigami Sochi
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
ahh..

once again TK makes a huge flashy entrance that's totally epic. During that part in the underground computer room 2. Did he not explain all the pre-reqs that otonashi has?o.o . He lived for someone else [His Sister] He lived a fulfilling life,he wandered in there and he had memory loss. so probably his mind assumed he didn't have a fulfilled youth and threw him in there? and now he hasn't fulfilled his after life youth? wow this is pretty complex if you ask me.
__________________
raxel is offline  
Old 2010-06-19, 23:47   Link #169
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
I didn't see miss Yui's spy?
Proto is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 00:20   Link #170
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Does anybody else have a different opinion about disappearing?
All is one, one is all !
maplehurry is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 00:29   Link #171
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
What was that...I'm so confused >.> What was with Ishida suddenly appearing? Why is this 13 episodes? Why did someone think a Maeda story would fit this???
Leo_Otaku is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 00:36   Link #172
Namiey
is busy...
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Under the same sky that we watched
Age: 19
Send a message via Yahoo to Namiey
there were too many people disappear, Q.Q
__________________
Namiey is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 00:53   Link #173
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
The pacing, by Haruhi, the pacing. I have no complaints about the quality of the production at all, but the way the story is paced... Well suffice to say that far too many developments occurring one after another at relatively so short a period of a time does not make for a satisfying viewing. The Ishida-voiced NPC for example just felt tacked on, and the 10-minute infodump about the mechanics of the afterlife they were in did not help any.
__________________
Myssa Rei is online now  
Old 2010-06-20, 02:28   Link #174
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Only 4 GBs?! my RAM is like 6 GBs with dual processor and 1 TB for hard drive and I still don't think my computer is good enough! (well, hd wise and a bit on the speed)
Intel Core i7 Processor
9 GB DDR3 Ram
1 TB HD
ATI Radeon 5870 GPU

$800 Canadian (minus the GPU which I got as an upgrade since it originally came with an NVIDIA GT220) because I got it on a refurb deal at a discount store. Feel free to hate me again everyone.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 02:38   Link #175
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
I heard it!
さぁ、行くわよ!
welcome back, our Lord!

on another note, I think this ep was a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.. slightly cliched as well. ah well, one more ep to go
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥

Last edited by Seitsuki; 2010-06-20 at 02:55.
Seitsuki is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 03:30   Link #176
Thoguht
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin Kizuite View Post
Shit, I just realized everything TK says are lyrics in songs. Found a youtube video on it. Wow.
It took you that long?

Well, I only found out when TK's Engrish was driving me mad a few weeks back and I discovered that "Get chance and luck" was a phrase from from a City Hunters song.

As for the Almighty Yuri, after far too many beers last night I came to this conclusion:

What sane person when offered the chance of becoming God would not accept it, and in that moment become insane? Surely only an insane person would turn it down, but in that moment become sane.
Thoguht is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 04:09   Link #177
dark998
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Maeda wrote the script from scratch with a limited number or episodes in mind. Sure, in the end he had to cut some stuff but the core story is still there. Certainly the outcome is better than trying to adapt the script of a 60 hour visual novel into 12-24 episodes.
dark998 is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 04:13   Link #178
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Certainly the outcome is better than trying to adapt the script of a 60 hour visual novel into 12-24 episodes.
...Yeah, no, I'd still take the 24-episode VN adaptation over this narrative mess.

Sorry, Maeda.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 04:16   Link #179
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But I'm somewhat conflicted now that someone mentioned that Angel Beats! CAN be ruined by making it a 24-episode series. It made me think that this kind of "half-comedy half-drama" style prevalent throughout the series would just bore people if it was nine episodes longer, probably from the saturation of the comedy scenes.
If it was as random and superficial as it was in this version, it would probably indeed feel tiresome. It would take good pacing and constant character exposition (which would not be that hard with so many characters that were left untouched in the series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
One of the core themes of Angel Beats! is the bonds that have been forged between the members of the SSS, how they can operate as a team in any circumstance. The method of individually ascending them, in my opinion, kills this entire theme. In order to sustain this theme, Maeda still would've had to have most, if not all of them, ascend at the end of the series.
They never were a team. They were all stupid who done what Yuri told them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
So this begs the question: how would he fill the rest of the series? If he can't ascend people after giving them character development, it would give the arc a hollow feeling. More so, that kind of method, moving from one character to the next, works fine for a slow-paced, episodic (or arc-driven) anime like Clannad or Kanon. However, Angel Beats! is not a slow-paced series. It's as much an action series as it is a typical Key anime. Combining engaging and unique action scenes, appropriate character development and growth, while forging the relationships of the series and keeping the typical feel of a Key anime, is very difficult over a longer period of time. The action begins to stale out, there would probably still be some characters who are left aside so the more important/popular ones can get more screentime, and the only thing that might remain in good quality would be what Maeda does best: the typical tear-jerker scenes.
So while Angel Beats! might have felt rushed, at least it never slowed down to an unbearable pace. I know we got some almost "filler" episodes throughout the series, but it still kept up a fairly quick pace, and I have yet to see someone say something bad about the action, so that means that it has managed to stay fairly engaging. Yes, plently of characters have come and gone with barely any development, but even in a longer series, they still would've probably been pushed aside. And still, we're all quite familiar with the members of the SSS, even if they haven't gotten much screentime. And the relationships between some of the characters are anything but subtle. Then to top it off, no matter how rushed the series may feel, Maeda still managed to throw in his typical tear-jerker scenes, which in some people's cases (such as mine) have worked nicely, and others, apparently not.
So, after thinking on it a lot, I've decided I'm not going to complain about the short length of the series anymore, as I've decided it suits Angel Beats! fine.
Blahblahblah. Each one of the characters was there for a different reason. Mass-disappearing them killed their individuality and importance as unique characters. Your theory turns them to faceless Barbie doll mooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Disappearing to me is almost like death. Once they disappear they will have no memories of their past lives or even the afterlife. Without these memories they are essential a completely different person in what makes them a strong character. If Yurippe disappeared she would have forgotten about her siblings and SSS group which would change her perspective of the world. I am too fond of the characters they become. Once they disappear it is like being recycled changing to a different property. Once they have been recycled the are a different person with a different life. Kind of gloomy when I think about it Does anybody else have a different opinion about disappearing?

I hope they will give us a chance to see what happen's to them after they graduate their afterlife.
Don't worry, they will not die. They will simply be recycled in the next clone series Maeda makes, like the good archetypes they are.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-06-20 at 04:30.
roriconfan is offline  
Old 2010-06-20, 04:38   Link #180
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
Implying that no other writer uses those archetypes ever either.

Petty argument, but I quite like AB, despite the pacing.
Khu is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.