AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-21, 18:24   Link #1
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
Romance Anime :)

Hey, I love anime but I can never seem to get into it unless it has romance, with a few exceptions (eg DBZ/Bleach). Okay, I'd appreciate you guys help.

1) Needs to have romance obv ^^ The more the better
2) Preferably mature animes (for audiences 15/16+)
3) Preferably Uncensencored
4) Interesting; Action, humour, fighting or all of them
5) I prefer a happy ending where the protaginists fall in love at the end. but not necessary.
6) I find ecchi amusing

1B) I dislike men/women crossdressing or stuff like that, like xxxholic or OHSHC
2B) I dislike most Mecha anime. Anime with mecha or futuristic elements/themes can be okay.
3B) A few people have recommended me manga, On the whole, I dont read manga (Only ever read Happy Hustle High). So anime suggestions are what I'm looking for, thanks

Animes I watched and liked

Mahoromatic
Mahoraba
Onegai Twins
Onegai Teacher
Chobits
Girls Bravo
Midori days
True Tears
Chocotto Sister
DearS
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Lamune
Akikan
Chibi Vampire Karin
Eden of the East
He is my Master
I's Pure
Ichigo 100%
Kannagi
Kemeko Deluxe
Sekerei
Shakugan No Shana
Kiss X Sis
Sora No Otoshimono
Sumo momo momomo
To Love-Ru
To Heart 2
Zero No Tsukaima
Hanbun No Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Final Approach
Akane Iro Ni Somoru Saka
Mamotte Shugogetten
Ef: A Tale of Memories
Ef: A Tale of Melodies
Seto No Haneyome
Hanamaru Youchien
Chu-Bra
Bakemonogatari
Azumanga Daioh
Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!
Bosou Renkin
Kampfer
Clannad
She, The Ultimate Weapon
B Gata H Kei
Princess Lover
Bleach
Dragonball (DB+Z+GT)
This Ugly yet Beautiful world

Oh yeah, I really enjoy animes where the weak protaginist becomes useful or badass like (such as Bosou Renkin or Shana).
Or Animes where the main female and male protaginists recognise their love halfway through and tackle the rest of the anime together, like clannad or Zero no Tsukaima
~So you can see why its hard to find new anime ^^'
Thank you for all suggestions
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif

Last edited by Animelover#1; 2011-02-11 at 16:15.
Animelover#1 is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 18:51   Link #2
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Well my taste in this genre seems to differ very much from yours so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.......I'll list a few of what I consider the best in this category, though none of these have any fighting, ecchi, action or "uncensored" material. They're excellent romance series, though.....

Kare Kano
Cross Game
Whisper of the Heart

The aforementioned are high school-oriented (not so much the last one). The following have broader settings:
Crest/Banner of the Stars (well, this one's got some sci-fi "action", I suppose)
Nodame Cantabile
Honey and Clover

And if you truly feel like you've watched them all, maybe go back in time and check out some of the classics:
Maison Ikkoku
Touch
Kodomo no Omocha
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-06-21 at 19:11.
Theowne is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 18:59   Link #3
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
thanks :] I'll take a look at them , I have a broad mind really, as long as the anime is drawn nicely ( I got put off GTO because of the faces he pulls) and have likeable characters, I'm sure i can enjoy them
heh, upon re-checking it seems I watch kare kano ^^
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif
Animelover#1 is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 19:03   Link #4
Shingai-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Age: 27
You might enjoy RahXephon, it features romance as a focal point, but mecha and sci-fi also plays a role.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash in between"

Ararararagi
Shingai-san is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 19:05   Link #5
Divini
Senpai!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Well dang, you've seen quite a bit, it's hard to nitpick from that...

Here's some that I saw aren't on there

Kanon
Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow
Toradora!
AIR
Da Capo
To Aru Majitsu no Index
Canvas 2
Shakugan no Shana
Crest of the Stars - futuristic, non-mecha, but with a great main couple
Angel Densetsu
Eureka 7 - this is mecha, but seriously, this is worth watching even just for the romance
Tsubasa - Reservoir Chronicle (manga)


Seconded Kare Kano, though the manga is highly recommended as the anime stops about 1/3 into the story.
Divini is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 19:22   Link #6
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Well dang, you've seen quite a bit, it's hard to nitpick from that...

Here's some that I saw aren't on there

Kanon
Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow
Toradora!
AIR
Da Capo
To Aru Majitsu no Index
Canvas 2
Shakugan no Shana
Crest of the Stars - futuristic, non-mecha, but with a great main couple
Angel Densetsu
Eureka 7 - this is mecha, but seriously, this is worth watching even just for the romance
Tsubasa - Reservoir Chronicle (manga)


Seconded Kare Kano, though the manga is highly recommended as the anime stops about 1/3 into the story.
I do have Shakugan No Shana up ,
but this should keep me busy looking through, thanks
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif
Animelover#1 is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 19:23   Link #7
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
I'll second Crest of the Stars (which I consider sci-fi but I like the lead couple enough to throw on a romance list), Nodame Cantabile, and Whispers of the Heart, since I enjoyed all of those.

Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu is (along with EF) my favourite example of the genre, but you might want to be prepared for the fact it's a tearjerker.
The 2006 version of Kanon is probably a must see if you liked Clannad, although (Fuko aside) Clannad's plot and characters are better fleshed out in my opinion.
On the more comedic end of the spectrum, School Rumble is certainly up there.
Sola, written by one of the Kanon writers who didn't stay on for Air and Clannad, is also extremely good, featuring an incredibly charming female lead and more action than is typical for the genre.
Hatsukoi Limited kicks off with a couple of the funniest romantic comedy episodes I've ever seen in an anime, although your mileage may vary as to how much you like the latter parts.
Toradora is also great - all three of the major female characters are quite a bit deeper than their initial impressions suggest. Be forewarned it transitions from comedy to melodrama halfway through though.
There's some nice romantic development in Spice and Wolf, especially the second season, although the first season can be pretty slow going.

On the "average but perfectly enjoyable" front I'd include Myself;Yourself if you're looking for something dramatic and Nyankoi and Tayutama for something more humourous, although I imagine I'll get some flack for the last recommendation, I seem to be one of the few who likes it.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 20:12   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Well, based on your lists I would second the rec to give Kanon a try. It has the romance you're looking for, and if you enjoyed series like Ef and especially Clannad, Kanon should be a winner for you. In my view it's better than any of those series.

As well, try Seitokai no Ichizon. The romance is subtle and secondary to the meta-humor, but it has some of the whip-smart, inside humor of Kannagi. And like Kannagi, really makes you love the characters.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 20:41   Link #9
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'll second Crest of the Stars (which I consider sci-fi but I like the lead couple enough to throw on a romance list), Nodame Cantabile, and Whispers of the Heart, since I enjoyed all of those.

Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu is (along with EF) my favourite example of the genre, but you might want to be prepared for the fact it's a tearjerker.
The 2006 version of Kanon is probably a must see if you liked Clannad, although (Fuko aside) Clannad's plot and characters are better fleshed out in my opinion.
On the more comedic end of the spectrum, School Rumble is certainly up there.
Sola, written by one of the Kanon writers who didn't stay on for Air and Clannad, is also extremely good, featuring an incredibly charming female lead and more action than is typical for the genre.
Hatsukoi Limited kicks off with a couple of the funniest romantic comedy episodes I've ever seen in an anime, although your mileage may vary as to how much you like the latter parts.
Toradora is also great - all three of the major female characters are quite a bit deeper than their initial impressions suggest. Be forewarned it transitions from comedy to melodrama halfway through though.
There's some nice romantic development in Spice and Wolf, especially the second season, although the first season can be pretty slow going.

On the "average but perfectly enjoyable" front I'd include Myself;Yourself if you're looking for something dramatic and Nyankoi and Tayutama for something more humourous, although I imagine I'll get some flack for the last recommendation, I seem to be one of the few who likes it.
Started watching ToraDora, It's just like a drama Shakugan No Shana (shut up shut up shut up O.o) and Zero no Tsukaima (Dog Lol :]), the the latter 2 shows are the same except new storyline anyway ^^ ,... but I like it, thanks
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif
Animelover#1 is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 21:36   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, based on your lists I would second the rec to give Kanon a try. It has the romance you're looking for, and if you enjoyed series like Ef and especially Clannad, Kanon should be a winner for you. In my view it's better than any of those series.

As well, try Seitokai no Ichizon. The romance is subtle and secondary to the meta-humor, but it has some of the whip-smart, inside humor of Kannagi. And like Kannagi, really makes you love the characters.
The fanboy in my smolders in righteous fury at the implication that a Key work is superior to EF.

Kanon being better than Clannad I can probably agree on - Makoto is more fun than Fuko, Mai's arc has a blend of action and drama you typically don't find in Key works, and there's no slow paced "after story" to drag the pace down. I do still hold that Clannad had a better developed cast of characters overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animelover#1 View Post
Started watching ToraDora, It's just like a drama Shakugan No Shana (shut up shut up shut up O.o) and Zero no Tsukaima (Dog Lol :]), the the latter 2 shows are the same except new storyline anyway ^^ ,... but I like it, thanks
To be honest, I've often thought of Taiga as a deconstruction of characters like Shana and Louise, something that's probably more obvious in later episodes. They also got the same voice actress to play her.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 22:46   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The fanboy in my smolders in righteous fury at the implication that a Key work is superior to EF.
Oh, I enjoyed Ef - especially the first series, Memories. I just prefer Kanon on the whole because of the subtlety of the emotions involved, something I found somewhat wanting in later KEY works (though I generally enjoyed Clannad). I think the Hiro-Hiro (voiced by Hiro)/Miyako arc is as good as anything in Kanon, just about, though the Renji/Chihiro arc wasn't nearly as appealing for me. I confess, part of that was due to how much I genuinely hate Motoki Takagi's voice work. Shallow, aren't I? But more so, I think the former arc has the subtler tone of Kanon, while the latter has a bit of the over-dramatic nature of Clannad.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2010-06-21, 23:22   Link #12
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Oh, I enjoyed Ef - especially the first series, Memories. I just prefer Kanon on the whole because of the subtlety of the emotions involved, something I found somewhat wanting in later KEY works (though I generally enjoyed Clannad). I think the Hiro-Hiro (voiced by Hiro)/Miyako arc is as good as anything in Kanon, just about, though the Renji/Chihiro arc wasn't nearly as appealing for me. I confess, part of that was due to how much I genuinely hate Motoki Takagi's voice work. Shallow, aren't I? But more so, I think the former arc has the subtler tone of Kanon, while the latter has a bit of the over-dramatic nature of Clannad.
Heh, we obviously have different tastes on this - most of my favourite scenes from the EF franchise are hard hitting rather than subtle, and I absolutely loved the Renji/Chihiro arc. They're pretty much my favourite anime couple, although when VNs that have never been adapted into anime are thrown into the mix Takeshi and Tsugumi from Ever 17 still come out on top (there's something about making an utterly bitter and icy girl with a death wish cry happy tears that's epicly heartwarming).

(Off topic: my girlfriend was cosplaying Chihiro Shindou in uniform the first time I met her. I've basically made a running joke out of reminding her where Chihiro gets her uniform on occasion.)
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 00:25   Link #13
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As well, try Seitokai no Ichizon. The romance is subtle and secondary to the meta-humor, but it has some of the whip-smart, inside humor of Kannagi. And like Kannagi, really makes you love the characters.
I'll second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Hatsukoi Limited kicks off with a couple of the funniest romantic comedy episodes I've ever seen in an anime, although your mileage may vary as to how much you like the latter parts.
Toradora is also great - all three of the major female characters are quite a bit deeper than their initial impressions suggest. Be forewarned it transitions from comedy to melodrama halfway through though.
There's some nice romantic development in Spice and Wolf, especially the second season, although the first season can be pretty slow going.
Nyankoi for something more humourous
I'll second those three too.

Also I'd say B Gata H Kei should fit what you want on the more humorous side of romance, and the way it handles the ecchi is rather innocent yet hilarious at the same time .
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Auxilism
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 00:40   Link #14
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Also I'd say B Gata H Kei should fit what you want on the more humorous side of romance, and the way it handles the ecchi is rather innocent yet hilarious at the same time .
I forgot to mention this one. With many ecchi shows, I either end up stopping halfway through or wishing I did when I complete them, but B Gata H Kei is one of the funniest animes I've seen in a while.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 12:38   Link #15
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
sure I'll take a look :], If you havn't already you should try Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu. Among my personal favourites it draws a nice line between comedy and ecchi, I cant remember laughing so much!

Thanks guys. I love B gata H kei, i also like how theres a female love lead instead of always a male 1. and her innocence is hilarious ^^
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif

Last edited by Animelover#1; 2010-06-22 at 13:05.
Animelover#1 is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 13:05   Link #16
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 27
I recommend Suzuka.
DragoZERO is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 13:09   Link #17
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animelover#1 View Post
sure I'll take a look :], If you havn't already you should try Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu. Among my personal favourites it draws a nice line between comedy and ecchi, I cant remember laughing so much!
I like BakaTest as a comedy, but not so much as a romance. The only couple in the show I liked much was Shouko and Yuuji. They're a lot of fun but I prefer Denpa Teki na Kanojo's more serious take on "a creepy stalker girl of your very own" better. If you like stalker girls you should definitely check out DTnK, although be forewarned it can get pretty dark and bloody at times.

That said, I did watch BakaTest a second time with my girlfriend, which I guess makes it romance anime in a very "meta" sense.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 13:31   Link #18
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
hehe, I suppose it does
I specifically like when Shouko and yuuji go to the theme park ^^
And Im still watching B gata H kei, She went to confront her love rival and "Jesus christ now she's become her love consultant.." Thats made me roll xDDD
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif
Animelover#1 is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 14:45   Link #19
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animelover#1 View Post
hehe, I suppose it does
I specifically like when Shouko and yuuji go to the theme park ^^
And Im still watching B gata H kei, She went to confront her love rival and "Jesus christ now she's become her love consultant.." Thats made me roll xDDD
Heh... the theme park episode is actually the first time I held hands with my girlfriend while watching anime. Of course, shortly after that the line about "all real couples hold hands" came up... and then there was all the stuff that followed it... I remember thinking "maybe this wasn't the best episode to start doing this."

Based on the line translation, I take it you're watching the Coalguys version of B Gata? They're okay, although I prefer UTW because they tend to use a few less "Americanisms" in their translation.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2010-06-22, 14:54   Link #20
Animelover#1
Kouta...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Heh... the theme park episode is actually the first time I held hands with my girlfriend while watching anime. Of course, shortly after that the line about "all real couples hold hands" came up... and then there was all the stuff that followed it... I remember thinking "maybe this wasn't the best episode to start doing this."

Based on the line translation, I take it you're watching the Coalguys version of B Gata? They're okay, although I prefer UTW because they tend to use a few less "Americanisms" in their translation.
hehe *insert embarresed face here*
I don't mind who translates. for vids I check zomganime.com and if there vid streams fail i go to anilinkz, then animefreak tv ^^. So translations often change
__________________
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/uploads/signaturepics/sigpic481_2.gif
Animelover#1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
anime, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.