AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-09, 22:47   Link #2861
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
An idle thought:

I look forward to seeing how they explain the changes in appearance in some of the suits between their Ka versions- specifically Heavyarms. Heavyarms Ka is still, coloring wise, very similar to Heavyarms TV.
When we got Heavyarms Kai ver. Ka, it was completely different from the TV versions in coloring and many details, but we could explain it away with 'well, it's a retcon'. But, now that we see that original Heavyarms Ka still differs so much from Kai Custom even though it's an upgrade and not really a totally different suit (like D-Hell or Altron or Wing ZERO)... They've got some explaining to do.

Sandrock didn't change nearly as much, so I don't think it'll be in the same boat..
I hadn't thought of that. Maybe Howard will change the color scheme when he upgrades it for space combat. With the pace GoL is going at, the chapter showing that probably won't come out till late next year.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 02:51   Link #2862
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
An idle thought:

I look forward to seeing how they explain the changes in appearance in some of the suits between their Ka versions- specifically Heavyarms. Heavyarms Ka is still, coloring wise, very similar to Heavyarms TV.
When we got Heavyarms Kai ver. Ka, it was completely different from the TV versions in coloring and many details, but we could explain it away with 'well, it's a retcon'. But, now that we see that original Heavyarms Ka still differs so much from Kai Custom even though it's an upgrade and not really a totally different suit (like D-Hell or Altron or Wing ZERO)... They've got some explaining to do.
There aren't many details that change between the Heavyarms ver. Ka and the Heavyarms (Kai Ver. Ka) Custom, asides from the following.

- Ver. Ka has the orange color scheme, while the Custom has a blue color scheme.

- Ver. Ka uses a gatling gun with ammo belt connected to its backpack, while the Custom uses the Serpent's dual gatling guns.

- Ver. Ka had 2 chest Gatling guns, while the Custom has 4. (Although for some reason this number fluctuates in different art, with some portraying the Ver. Ka as having 4 chest gatlings).

The Heavyarms Ver. Ka in the GoTL manga uses add-on parts for its knife, extra missile launchers and tank treads, and the latter two are shown to be ejectable in the field. The upgrades on the Heavyarms Custom compared to the Ver. Ka are still comparatively minor compared to the difference between the Deathscythe/Deathscythe Hell or Shenlong/Altron.
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 12:16   Link #2863
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The Heavyarms Ver. Ka in the GoTL manga uses add-on parts for its knife, extra missile launchers and tank treads, and the latter two are shown to be ejectable in the field. The upgrades on the Heavyarms Custom compared to the Ver. Ka are still comparatively minor compared to the difference between the Deathscythe/Deathscythe Hell or Shenlong/Altron.
But as I said, those are completely different suits, not upgrades, which the Heavyarms Kai is.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 12:49   Link #2864
Nishiio
AHH IT'S A GUNDAM--*boom*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Picspam (I'll scan later if peacecraft doesn't):

Editorial for this month on Ogasawara's art (and I believe the Heero illust in the corner is new?) and the b+w Heero illust from the Glory tankobon jacket:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_1560.jpg
(By the way, you can see in the lefthand side there- they spelled Zechs' name 'Zeches' 9_6)
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_1561.jpg

...
Argh, I forgot to keep up with this thread!
Thanks so muc to Kitsoru for the pics! I can't wait for the next installments.
Nishiio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 14:42   Link #2865
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
But as I said, those are completely different suits, not upgrades, which the Heavyarms Kai is.
And... now I'm not really sure what the problem is supposed to be. As I explained, the Heavyarms Custom isn't really that much different from the Heavyarms ver. Ka... in fact, if it weren't for the change in chest gatling gun numbers (and that detail is kept hidden by the chest doors), both units would be externally identical except for color scheme and weapons.

In the first place, the Deathscythe Hell and the Altron are simply upgrades of the Deathscythe and the Shenlong. Remember that in the TV series, the Deathscythe Hell and the Altron were created by the five scientists repairing the damaged Deathscythe and Shenlong, and then upgunning them - they did not create two totally different suits and give them to Duo and Wufei when they escaped. IRL however, Okawara made it so that the visual appearance of the Deathscythe Hell and Altron were much more drastic from their predecessors, compared to say the Sandrock Kai (which simply got an SMG) or the Heavyarms Kai (which only got a second gatling gun on its shield). This is unlike the Katoki versions, where the base design of the Gundams are kept similar, but with additional parts to better reinforce link between generations as upgrades, and to ensure that all 5 Gundams look upgraded, as opposed to just the D-Hell and Altron getting all the design flair. Even then though, the Heavyarms Custom and Sandrock Custom still highly resemble their Heavyarms Ver. Ka and Sandrock Ver. Ka predecessors, so in a way there really hasn't been that much of a change between the Okawara versions and the Katoki versions.

The only Gundam in Wing where the upgrade actually is a completely different unit in itself is the Wing Zero.
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 18:45   Link #2866
Faerie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but just my two cents about some factual stuff from a few pages back, if anyone still cared

mostly @Deacon Blues I guess (and the others who spoke about it of course):

- Noin/ Neuenheim: It doesn't literally mean "new homes" (then it would be Neuheim or Neuesheim, the latter being grammatically sound, the former correct in the way you would name a town for example). So like Noin (Neun), it's not correct language, but could be used as a name, reminding you of a certain meaning... if that makes sense

- Milliard/o - is correct if read in Italian instead of French. But I thought that was common knowledge already @.@

- Noin's family- I think it was official that she's ethnic mediterranean at least. as mentioned Trentino Alto Adige (Südtirol, in German) in Northern Italy is full of German speakers, who, actually would prefer to be Austrians :s Friuli Giulia Venezia has at least a minority too iirc.
Which doesn't mean that's where she's from- she can still be from anywhere in Italy, since there's German last names associated with Italian families all over the country.
Plus, she looks more mediterranean, suggesting central or south... as a lot of those proper northerners look more german and are fairer.
(on the other hand, the Italian ethnic minority in Germany is another story, haha. It just doesn't seem too likely)

/End of too long cultural background information. Sorry
Faerie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:06   Link #2867
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
...both units would be externally identical except for color scheme and weapons.
Er. Yes, and that's basically everything what makes a unit itself vs others, cosmetically, isn't it? I'll check again but I was fairly certain there were a few other cosmetic details changed, such as the basic 'shape' going from more rounded to angular even between the Katoki versions.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:17   Link #2868
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Er. Yes, and that's basically everything what makes a unit itself vs others, cosmetically, isn't it? I'll check again but I was fairly certain there were a few other cosmetic details changed, such as the basic 'shape' going from more rounded to angular even between the Katoki versions.


You can compare the differences (or relative lack thereof) in this image (used the recent Gundam Ace scans to be on the safe side).
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 19:34   Link #2869
Shine
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuwait
Hello everyone, how are you all?

Excuse me, but have anyone translated chapters of Teardrop yet? Last time I asked about it around two months ago I was told no one have done it yet.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 20:10   Link #2870
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Hmm, I was using the art from which the Heavyarms Kai Custom you posted was from, and there it looked a lot more different to me:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rms_Custom.jpg

@Shine Yes, and we're still waiting. Bug Deacon about it if you're in such a hurry for them.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 20:18   Link #2871
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Even if you use the action image though, the Heavyarms Ver. Ka doesn't look "more angular" to me. The action shot does give the Ver. Ka some forearm sleeves, but then said sleeves don't exist in the lineart, nor do they appear in Glory of the Losers. As you can see though, based on just their lineart the only difference between the Ver. Ka and the Custom are their color schemes.
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 21:14   Link #2872
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Yeah. I think it was the way it was posed in the art where it's crouched that made it look like it still had more of the Okawara-style roundness to it (that's something I've always sort of attributed to Heavyarms anyway; it always had a 'rounded' design than the other Gundams, especially the head, which reminded me of Maxter's football helmet head LOL) but in the frontal-view it's not there at all...
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 21:29   Link #2873
Shine
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuwait
@Shine Yes, and we're still waiting. Bug Deacon about it if you're in such a hurry for them.[/QUOTE]

Oh man! Still no one have translated it yet?! yeah it was him as I remember. Well, I'm sue he has his excuse. But still it's a shame no one has done it yet. I still have not read anything about Teardrop (except for few things in it's Wikia page)

Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 21:31   Link #2874
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine View Post
Oh man! Still no one have translated it yet?! yeah it was him as I remember. Well, I'm sue he has his excuse. But still it's a shame no one has done it yet. I still have not read anything about Teardrop (except for few things in it's Wikia page)

Have you read the prologue? You can find it on the first page.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 22:51   Link #2875
Shine
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuwait
^ yeah but I mean the rest of the chapters because these aren't available as the prologue.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 00:02   Link #2876
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Unfortunately, due to the plot constantly hopping around timelines, I really can't write a clear, sensible synopsis of the plot for the wiki until we actually know everything that's happened in one linear timeline. I guess I could try to parse out the early AC stuff, but ugh, it's so military heavy I've been putting it off forever while I try to make full sense of it myself..

It'll get done, though. Eventually.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 08:35   Link #2877
allison13
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Unfortunately, due to the plot constantly hopping around timelines, I really can't write a clear, sensible synopsis of the plot for the wiki until we actually know everything that's happened in one linear timeline. I guess I could try to parse out the early AC stuff, but ugh, it's so military heavy I've been putting it off forever while I try to make full sense of it myself..

It'll get done, though. Eventually.
Still, the wiki is looking good regardless. Thanks for keeping up with that.
allison13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 11:31   Link #2878
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
- Noin/ Neuenheim: It doesn't literally mean "new homes" (then it would be Neuheim or Neuesheim, the latter being grammatically sound, the former correct in the way you would name a town for example). So like Noin (Neun), it's not correct language, but could be used as a name, reminding you of a certain meaning... if that makes sense
Hm, the Japanese sources that I cited for my information on my website stated that it means "new home". Either this is a goofup by Sumisawa or something is amiss. Plus, the way I spelled it is based on a city in Germany. But, seeing that you probably know more German than my linguistic background, I'll take your word for it.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 16:01   Link #2879
peacecraft
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Age: 27
Just got my issue of Gundam ACE, will be scanning. Also got my copy of Glory of Losers too!
__________________
MAL http://myanimelist.net/profile/peacecraft
FT & Glory RAW Scans http://gloryoflosers.blogspot.com

Grandfather, roses just don't look good on me either. I'd look better soaked in the blood of OZ!
Relena Darlian, Episode 11 The Whereabouts of Happiness
peacecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 16:06   Link #2880
Faerie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Hm, the Japanese sources that I cited for my information on my website stated that it means "new home". Either this is a goofup by Sumisawa or something is amiss. Plus, the way I spelled it is based on a city in Germany. But, seeing that you probably know more German than my linguistic background, I'll take your word for it.
well, let me put it this way: it can technically be understood as meaning "new home", it's just not correct grammar/ totally correct syntax. Kind of like using a weird/different than normal kanji to write something, I guess.
And yes, I was just going to say it is the kind of name you would give to a town, hehe. That's why the first association is more like "New Town/ home in the sense of place/village rather than actually home/house".
edit: they just used German in a way they use english, sort of.

Not that Wing was always totally correct with its use of foreign names, but they generally did better than this one, which is a bit weird- not near as bad as the Hilde Schbeiker, which is just a complete c*ck up
Poor Hilde, we always felt sorry for her for that one

Didn't mean to be nitpicking either, just thought if its German/Italian/French/ the works bothering you, I can help/ clarify easily
Faerie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gundam wing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.