AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-20, 10:39   Link #641
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Well as mentioned, it wasn't anywhere near as popular in Japan as it was in North America. Besides, why should we care about how another portion of the fandom reacts?
Probably cuz it's made for them and not for you
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 11:49   Link #642
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Probably cuz it's made for them and not for you
So? They're not talking with us.
Old 2010-11-20, 12:55   Link #643
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
I'm amused that English-speaking fans are throwing such a shitfit about all of the little tie-ups and new revelations with this novel. Japan sure doesn't seem to be complaining all that much
I'm glad the Japanese fanbase is taking it so well. That increases chances of this being animated or continued for a long time. What exactly are they saying?
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 13:38   Link #644
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

To reply to Long Live, before you start watching anything you should probably read Episode Zero first. It gives some interesting background information and makes Wu Fei a lot more bearable. You can look it up on sites like mangafox. Then I'd suggest you watch the first episode and decide from there if you want to watch it or not. I got hooked after the ambulance part.

Quote:
Gundam Wing is basically what Gundam SEED isn't. It's focused more on international intrigue and the human element of war, and the consequences of removing that element, rather than the effects war has on personal relationships and people trying to live to the next day. It definitely is not the show to watch if you need/want a definitive bad guy to root against.
Agreed on all accounts. Every time you turn around someone is giving a speech about his or her philosophies on war, peace, the human nature, etc. Unlike in GSD though it makes sense, even if you have to read the subs three times to fully understand it The plot might be harder to follow since it's a lot more political and complicated (mainly because there's no definite bad guy), so you better pay attention to exposition guy if you don't wanna end up asking yourself what's going on.

Alas, that might be one of the reasons people dislike it. Among the heavy (haha, lame pun) use of stock footage, the lack of romance, the near invincible Gundams and the most famous example of 'Die for our Ship', Relena.

I love the series. But my personal reason for liking GW isn't because it was my first anime series. That would be Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball. No, I like it because every single person in the series is badass. Chicks and dudes alike. You're badass when you enter a car by breaking through the window instead of using the door. You're badass when you don't bat an eyelash while a MS rams its shield into the ground not half a meter away from you. You're badass when you can backflip onto a clothesline while riding a motorbike. You're badass if you can screw the whole world over. And you're most badass when you stop the enemy's unstoppable battleship by ramming yours into it. And the list goes on and on
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 14:17   Link #645
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
No, I like it because every single person in the series is badass. Chicks and dudes alike.
Agreed on that. I love the female half of the cast. Relena can stare down the barrel of a gun and hold her ground plus she really screwed with Romafeller. Did I mention that despite being a pacifist, she seems to handle a gun quite well? xD (Episode 11)

Granted, that was before she went pacifist. Still, by Endless Waltz, she's bitch slapping a fun size dictator so yeah...

Hilde is awesome, too. Served with OZ, helps the Gundam pilots near the end of the series. Cathy has her acrobatics and her throwing knives. She also punches Trowa in the face. Dorothy is just...she's Dorothy. I don't care what people say about her eyebrows, she's epic. Sally is epic in terms of guerrilla tactics. As for Noin, Zechs actually admits she only let him be number 1. She can keep up with the Gundam pilots in a damned Taurus. And then there's Une with her split personalities...
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 15:12   Link #646
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Dorothy is just...she's Dorothy. I don't care what people say about her eyebrows, she's epic.
I second that. Only she can make a girl playing with dolls be that awesome.

It's no wonder she's the ESUN's president in FT. Though the added 'T.' in her name has me thinking lately. As far as I know it's usually an indication for a second name but could it be that in this case it's her hubby's last name? I know I'm not making much sense but with Sumisawa so keen on connecting everyone to everyone I got this weird idea she might marry some random grandson of Tubarov or something. Dermail and him were kinda like best buds in the series. I hope it isn't the case
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 15:25   Link #647
wingzerosnuggles

First thing I thought when I thought when I saw the T was Tiberius as in James Tiberius Kirk. xD
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 16:59   Link #648
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnedgirl03 View Post
oh yeah i forgot. abt the technology... there's the zero system which i could say is the transam counterpart of 00 in wing. gundanium alloy (wing) = gn particles (00). no ridiculous bullshit acronyms here too
Your posts are cracking me up -> I had to say that. XD
MichaelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 17:05   Link #649
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
oh yeah i forgot. abt the technology... there's the zero system which i could say is the transam counterpart of 00 in wing. gundanium alloy (wing) = gn particles (00). no ridiculous bullshit acronyms here too
You do know that ZERO System is an acronym right? Anyway, I would argue that the ZERO System is the Wing equivalent of the Twin Drive System rather than Trans-Am.
Old 2010-11-20, 17:43   Link #650
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

ZERO System is an acronym, alright. Even the word GUNDAM in Wing is also an acronym. GN Particles is Gundam Nucleus particles. So that's acronym too.

Anyway Long Live, in the romance department, although wingzerosnuggles has said that it's not a major point, I'll tell you my personal opinion about it. Although the Zechs/Noin and the Duo/Hilde romance don't have much effect on the story, especially the latter, I think the Heero/Relena and the Treize/Lady relationship are extremely vital to the series that I don't think it would end the way it did if it also weren't for the effect those women have on the men.

In the action and tech department, if you're referring to the superficial part of it, well Gundam Wing was launched year 1995 so don't expect too much because everything is manually drawn. However, the concept and battle tactics and choreography, to me, are pretty cool.

If you focus on what's really going on/what the story is telling, rather than how it looks or how it is presented to tell the story, IMO you will find it really intruiging and gripping.

As to the characters, although you haven't asked, there's drastic psychological development going on in all of them. Especially the lead male and female (Heero and Relena). Take the time to ponder on it when you're all done watching the series and you will realize how different those two are in the second half of the series from how they were in the first half.

Last edited by MichaelKnight; 2010-11-20 at 17:55. Reason: Grammar issues.
Old 2010-11-20, 17:48   Link #651
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post
ZERO System is an acronym, alright. Even the word GUNDAM in Wing is also an acronym. GN Particles is Gundam Nucleus particles. So that's acronym too.
I thought the GUNDAM acronym was only in SEED?

Quote:
I think the Heero/Relena and the Treize/Lady relationship are extremely vital to the series that I don't think it would to end the way it ended if it also weren't for the effect those women have on the men.
I would argue that the effect of the men on the women is just as important.
Old 2010-11-20, 18:02   Link #652
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
I thought the GUNDAM acronym was only in SEED?.
I thought so too. Until I went to Wikipedia. Then again, it's Wikipedia. So I'm not 100% supportive on my own claim.

Quote:
I would argue that the effect of the men on the women is just as important.
Touche. I stressed on the women's influence because the effect the men have on the women are noticeable anyway. I don't like how the women in this series and their role are bloody underrated.
Old 2010-11-20, 18:12   Link #653
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:

pls! enough about seed. discussing it here is uglifying this forum. gaahhh!!
Enough with the bashing of Seed. I love Wing and I love Seed and it bothers me to no end seeing this kind of comments here. Your opinion about how terrible Seed is doesn't belong to this thread. You make it seem like it's an obligation to hate Seed if we like Wing. Thank you but no. I see Cagalli as the fierce heir of Relena, and I dislike seeing people antagonizing those series. (Despite me hating Destiny, BTW. It's just not the place for that.)

Now to be back on topic, I won't judge FT for the moment, I'd rather hold my judgement. So far we only learnt about Heero's father (and I think it can works, cause the fact Odin Lowe told him space took Heero's everything doesn't kill the possibility of him being his real father. BTW there is always the fact that Heero's real name was always stated as Adin Odin Lowe JR, so...it can work.)

The only thing I dislike about this serie so far is the whole Heero being frozen for years and being now younger than all of his old friends. THAT is lame. Even if Relena was spared and his young too, it kills me knowing Duo is now an adult man while Heero is just a boy. Duo JR can get out of the serie for all I care, his appearance and existence just screams fanservice to me.)

Oh and I'm glad they sunk Sally/Wufei XD I'm sorry, I liked Sally, but with Wufei ? Come ooon. Our guy didn't need a girl and didnt need her. And even though she was only 19 years old, she looked 30 :/ That was weird. And she wasn't pretty enough (Sorry, I love Wufei, he is maybe the only one of the show who can be more badass that Heery perfect Solier Yui. So He deserves better or nothing :P Nataku can stay the only one for him XD)

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 18:40   Link #654
gundamnedgirl03

yeah ok. because u asked.
if that's how it seems, then my bad. i'm not obliging anyone to hate seed if they like wing. i just like to bash seed... because i can. ahahahaha. but yeah i'll stop. for you dear...
gundamnedgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 18:42   Link #655
Kitsoru
:3c

Quote:
I thought the GUNDAM acronym was only in SEED?
In After Colony, the Gundam acronym stands for "GUNDAnium alloy Mobile suit". Gundanium alloy being a specific kind of titanium alloy that incorporates some kind of rare ore that can only be processed in very difficult, expensive-to-maintain space conditions. That's why it wasn't optimal for mass-producing mobile suits and why the Gundam engineers required the Barton Foundation's monetary backing to create their Gundams.

They've actually begun more heavily explaining the deal with gundanium in the novel what with that moon base factory battle in the newer chapter, which I'm glad for.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 19:00   Link #656
gundamnedgirl03

Quote:
You do know that ZERO System is an acronym right? Anyway, I would argue that the ZERO System is the Wing equivalent of the Twin Drive System rather than Trans-Am.
yes sirry. i know that the zero system is an acronym.
hence the words "ridiculous" and "bs". because i don't think wing acronyms are trying too hard to form the words and make sense at the same time. i'll stop there before i start comparing it again to a certain gundam series and end up bashing it and upsetting people... again. XD XD XD

*waves a white flag*
gundamnedgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 19:22   Link #657
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
In After Colony, the Gundam acronym stands for "GUNDAnium alloy Mobile suit".
I knew the Gundams were named after Gundanium, I just thought it was "GUNDAniuM". Though I guess you could still consider it an acronym.
Old 2010-11-20, 20:30   Link #658
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
In After Colony, the Gundam acronym stands for "GUNDAnium alloy Mobile suit". Gundanium alloy being a specific kind of titanium alloy that incorporates some kind of rare ore that can only be processed in very difficult, expensive-to-maintain space conditions. That's why it wasn't optimal for mass-producing mobile suits and why the Gundam engineers required the Barton Foundation's monetary backing to create their Gundams.

They've actually begun more heavily explaining the deal with gundanium in the novel what with that moon base factory battle in the newer chapter, which I'm glad for.
That was never stated in any material. Gundam is not an acronym in Wing.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 21:00   Link #659
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
That was never stated in any material. Gundam is not an acronym in Wing.
Apparently it stands for Genetics on the Universal Neutrally-Different Alloy, with the suffix -nium for emphasis that it's an element and a metal one at that. I'm guessing they used the word genetics for collective-descriptive purposes; it's an alloy whose traits, properties and composition would obviously be altered/mutated once forged to be made as an indestructible weapon. And the fact that it can only be experimented on in outer space.
Old 2010-11-20, 22:30   Link #660
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Wufei cries once as well, I think?
In keeping with detail-harping of this thread, Wufei actually cried twice. Once after his colony sefl-destructed and after Treize died(creating even more ammo for dumbass fans).

Tags
gundam wing