AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 166
091 - 100: Amazing... 71 55.04%
081 - 090: Great... 34 26.36%
071 - 080: Very Good... 11 8.53%
061 - 070: Good... 6 4.65%
051 - 060: Average... 2 1.55%
041 - 050: Below Average... 2 1.55%
031 - 040: Bad... 0 0%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 0 0%
011 - 020: Awful... 0 0%
000 - 010: You'd rather be watching Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals... 3 2.33%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-06-24, 20:41   Link #81
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88

Unlike the Gaara vs. Deidara fight, they managed to contain this within a single episode, and for all intents and purposes, I can personally appreciate the dramatic setup the anime team did in order to pave the way for a very justified berserker Naruto...

...I mean, really, if you don't care about character development and a lack of properly dramatized scenes, then please, Bleach is begging for people to come to the dark side...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 20:42   Link #82
vhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i think sakura will win over hinata for naruto. hinata may curently have a one sided love for him but it find the characteristics of his parents is more foreshadowing.
Well no duh Sakura will win, since she's like... the only one alive between the two. Unless Naruto has a thing for dead women...

Last edited by vhx; 2010-06-24 at 20:56.
vhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 20:49   Link #83
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
I remember back when this chapter was released, people kept saying "He went into absolute berserker mode for Hinata but not for Jiraiya or Kakashi?" This episode finally made me realize the difference is that Naruto this time around is there to experience the "pain" that Pain is talking about...Jiraiya and Kakashi were killed in Naruto's absence, while Hinata was practically slaughtered right before Naruto's eyes...There's a slight emotional disconnection when someone you care about is killed outside of your line of sight; You feel the pain of death, but it's not nearly as excruciating or painful as being a live witness to an execution...
Way to shit on Fukusuku and Shima or whatever the old Toad couples names are....

I always though that the problem many fans had with the scene wasn't the fact that Naruto didn't explode when he found out about Jiraiya or Kakashi, but rather it was the fact that Naruto had no real emotional attachment to Hinata, so his explosion made little sense.

And, honestly, without the reaction shot from Naruto after Hinata's confession, the whole scene is significantly lessened (in the anime).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 20:52   Link #84
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

And, honestly, without the reaction shot from Naruto after Hinata's confession, the whole scene is significantly lessened (in the anime).
YEAH, I felt that part was missing too... they needed to show Naruto's reaction to Hinata's confession but they skipped that part... they were able to dramatize the whole ep but didn't pay enough attention to that key scene... lol
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 21:12   Link #85
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Way to shit on Fukusuku and Shima or whatever the old Toad couples names are....

I always though that the problem many fans had with the scene wasn't the fact that Naruto didn't explode when he found out about Jiraiya or Kakashi, but rather it was the fact that Naruto had no real emotional attachment to Hinata, so his explosion made little sense.

Toads? What? Did one of them get killed or something?

But yeah, Naruto doesn't necessarily have to have any emotional attachment to Hinata, but those three words "I love you" are three words that Naruto has far from heard up until this point, where his childhood was plagued with the Kyuubi curse and his later life consists of chasing after an old friend that wants to kill him now...Pretty grim shit, and his parents weren't even around either, where the only remote thing that was associated with the word "love" in Naruto's life just might be Ichiraku's ramen...Hard-hitting revelation when all things are put into context, wouldn't you say?

But yeah, the revelation definitely was killed off in the absence of a reaction shot...The aftermath sure as hell showed a reaction, but in real time it happened but was made out like it was ignored...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2010-06-24, 21:30   Link #86
Supermutant

I don't know how I feel about that one. Could it have been done better? Or was so much of what happened already known to me and impossible to fully appreciate again?

It was one of the biggest manga moments, and I think definately that the anime team knew to treat it as one and make an episode around it. Had I not read the manga I think it would have blown me away. Which is funny because the manga was spoiled for me by some jerk. (Imagine the fight in the manga is proceeding between Naruto and Pain when a few days before the comic becomes available someone on an entirely unrelated internet forum just bursts out with "Hinata is dead!" out of nowhere! WTF?)

The manga sort of was suggestive about who was to intervene with it's title page, and the anime also didn't try to surprise, which I think is a shame. This kind of thing should be as surprising as possible. I think it would have been nice not to be such an unfortunate misadventure as well though. You have temper any thought of this as a happy memory.

They went with the more fluid animation which gave it the big time feel, and I didn't feel bad about the details, though I could nitpick. The changes to the events did make Hinata out to look better than before, but I hardly have a problem with that. I mean, she hit the Deva Pain; big deal. In real life upsets happen. I didn't really think Pain was untouchable or had much mystique in regard to his martial prowess. (Or at least not for a while now)

Good ending. While it didn't seem as explosive as the manga, it seemed more emotional. Good work there.
Supermutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 21:46   Link #87
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
I have to say....the last 1 minute of the episode was the best. Naruto transforming=win. The mini flashback of Hinata was pretty nice too.
Old 2010-06-24, 22:00   Link #88
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
*agrees*
btw:

^^up for grabs. This episode had a lot of good avy material IMO.
If you don't mind, I shall claim that avy!
Thanks!!
Old 2010-06-24, 22:01   Link #89
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhx View Post
Well no duh Sakura will win, since she's like... the only one alive between the two. Unless Naruto has a thing for dead women...
That's not necessarily true. It's not like ALL kage's NEED some kind of female attachment to them, least at first. Hell, Tsunade is one keen example. Now that Jiraiya is out of the picture, she may(and most likely will) never find love again, or feelings as close as such. Naruto could simply NOT love Sakura, or limit how much he truly feels about Sakura in favor of Hinata. Even in that regard, i don't think naruto will 'never' find real love, just that sakura's love would be secondary. After all, no one really saw Azuma and Kurenai being together from the beginning either, so it's not impossible that he could now realize and accept how Hinata truly felt about him, even in death.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:16   Link #90
iBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdatduck View Post
...or it could be that when people watch an episode they base their judgment on what the episode itself is about and not on how much of the manga is covered.
I guess this only applies when Hinata is involved.

Smh.
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:44   Link #91
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:

Naruto has known them for barely a week and was fighting as it happened, it's quite different to be pinned to the ground, powerless, and forced to witness the murder of someone you have known for half of your life -regardless of the intensity of his feeling for Hinata. This was simply the last straw.
Like most shounen heroe Naruto is all about protecting people and this scene was the antithesis of who he is trying to be, who he is.
A wake up call really, the harsh lesson that life can be cruel and grim no matter how hard you try. A sad but powerful event that can't be forgotten with a simple smile at the end of the day because what could possibly erase what just happened today indeed?

Anyway I thought the episode was quite good, there were a few stupid/illogical things but they mostly fall into my "don't care department". It was a little too long with flashbacks but it delivered at the end which was what mattered most.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:53   Link #92
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

I was never a big fan of Hinata, but after this episode i can't but like her.

Awesome episode btv....
Old 2010-06-24, 23:05   Link #93
chickdigger802

Still extremely pissed that they couldn't get that dude to animate naruto vs pain like 2 eps ago...

Still no high quality naruto fight yet after like 400 eps besides naruto vs sasuke =(

Last edited by Hunter; 2010-06-25 at 08:46.
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 23:24   Link #94
jsu718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
Current ep:
Spoiler:

Past ep/chapter:
Spoiler:
This pretty much sums up my displeasure with this episode. When you can't draw the major characters correctly you shouldn't be animating the episode. Makes it unwatchable.
jsu718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 23:30   Link #95
chickdigger802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsu718 View Post
This pretty much sums up my displeasure with this episode. When you can't draw the major characters correctly you shouldn't be animating the episode. Makes it unwatchable.

I don't really notice anything too off. I might just be a minority but I rather have good animation in my anime instead of being completely frame by frame with the manga and have crappy animation....
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 23:34   Link #96
Mr.Amazing
Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsu718 View Post
I disagree. To expect everyone to be able to draw the characters exactly the same seems to be asking a bit too much. I felt like this group of animators drew her well enough. And comparing an anime drawing to a manga one is a bit silly in my opinion as well, I can only imagine what a rasengan looks like in a the manga, compared to the anime.
Mr.Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 00:50   Link #97
CeDeR
forever hung over

meh i thought it was a good episode...
Old 2010-06-25, 01:15   Link #98
Bombo
TSF Fans

I'm think kishi stopping to release new chapter this week because he want to give this episode spot..Maybe :P
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 01:17   Link #99
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amazing View Post
I disagree. To expect everyone to be able to draw the characters exactly the same seems to be asking a bit too much. I felt like this group of animators drew her well enough. And comparing an anime drawing to a manga one is a bit silly in my opinion as well, I can only imagine what a rasengan looks like in a the manga, compared to the anime.
See, you can't expect consistency out of the anime because it for one is a big long-running shounen series; You're not going to get a set quality budget like you would with a seasonal anime title that makes a limited run, and on top of that, because it's long-running, you're going to see multiple animators do the various episodes...Some animators that don't have a lot of action will try to show off and match the manga style line-for-line while those that have to deal with fast-moving fight scenes will try to focus on animation fluidity...

Quite frankly, I wasn't at all bothered with the styled design; A couple still shots of Hinata pre-intervention looked pretty amazing and actually made her look cute (Though just standing still without any of the desperate whining may have also played a part), and I was only worried that Naruto's eyes were going to pop out of his skull if he kept that startled deer look any longer...Short of that, what I was more impressed with was the animation fluidity; Things had a nice way of flowing with each other, where in comparison, some of the previous episodes look like they were running on like 15fps, they tended to be a little on the choppy side...When it comes to animation, I'm less worried about the design and more focused on the fluidity, because isn't that what animation predominantly defines?

I just hope we see more of the same in the next episode...
Old 2010-06-25, 01:54   Link #100
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
cant wait till next weeks ep.....wish it was a double episode.

Tags
weekly episode discussion