AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-25, 11:31   Link #1
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

The Green Hornet (January 2011)

I'm back with more movie previews.This time I bring the trailer for the movie adaptation of The Green Hornet.Man talk about classic, the Green Hornet is the first comic book hero in history.

Plot:
By night, debonair newspaper publisher Britt Reid fights crime as a masked superhero known as The Green Hornet. At his side is martial arts expert Kato.

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=greenhornet

http://greenhornetmovie.com/

Enjoy!!
Old 2010-06-25, 11:48   Link #2
james0246

Green Hornet started as a hit radio program, not a comic book...(it was from the same guy that did The Lone Ranger).

That being said, the film has been batted around for a few years now. Stephen Chow was originally supposed to direct the film (and star as Kato), but he had to drop out for some reason (scheduling conflicts?) and Jay Chou (in his first American film) took over the role of Kato, and Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) took over as director. The real big news is Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) is playing the villain in the film...

I do want to see the film, but I would have preferred Chow's rendition of the film (Bruce Lee as Kato was a monumental cultural experience for 1960s/70s China)...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 11:57   Link #3
Kankel

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Green Hornet started as a hit radio program, not a comic book...(it was from the same guy that did The Lone Ranger).

That being said, the film has been batted around for a few years now. Stephen Chow was originally supposed to direct the film (and star as Kato), but he had to drop out for some reason (scheduling conflicts?) and Jay Chou (in his first American film) took over the role of Kato, and Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) took over as director. The real big news is Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) is playing the villain in the film...

I do want to see the film, but I would have preferred Chow's rendition of the film (Bruce Lee as Kato was a monumental cultural experience for 1960s/70s China)...
Ok then, correction: The first superhero in history
Old 2010-06-25, 13:25   Link #4
james0246

^Technically The Shadow predates The Green Hornet by 5 or so years, and if we are just talking about super-powers, Popeye came out in 1920, so he predates them all .

Still, The Green Hornet has some real style, and I have to say I loved the 1960s Green Hornet television show...
Old 2010-06-25, 13:51   Link #5
Kankel

Quote:
^Technically The Shadow predates The Green Hornet by 5 or so years, and if we are just talking about super-powers, Popeye came out in 1920, so he predates them all .

Still, The Green Hornet has some real style, and I have to say I loved the 1960s Green Hornet television show...
Damnit!! james don't correct me so many times.
Old 2010-06-25, 15:09   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I loved the tv series Green Hornet as a kid (1960s: Bruce Lee as Kato) and later listened to collections of the radio series. I'm not really keen on them portraying the hero as an idiot (as the trailer implies) but the rest of it looks nostalgically charming.

I'd have been happier if they'd left the time period in the '30s as well but so it goes.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 18:24   Link #7
Samari
World's Greatest

When I first heard Seth Rogan was in it, I was really disappointed. Not saying he's a terrible performer, but he just didn't seem to suit this kind of role. But after watching the trailer it seems like the movie is more of a dark comedy and not just pure goofyness. I might check it out. Might.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 18:37   Link #8
Lost Cause

Oh WOW, the Green Hornet! I caught most of the original series on the Starz Action channel a couple of years back! It was very cool!
Kinda wondered when they'd get around to him, after all they've already done The Shadow, and The Phantom. I'll definetly see this one!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 19:15   Link #9
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Hey! is that the guy from Knocked up!? LOL He's lost weight ...
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 20:34   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I loved the tv series Green Hornet as a kid (1960s: Bruce Lee as Kato) and later listened to collections of the radio series. I'm not really keen on them portraying the hero as an idiot (as the trailer implies) but the rest of it looks nostalgically charming.
I was quite the fan of the old show myself. Of course, the thing I remember the most is the intro theme.

Old 2010-06-25, 21:34   Link #11
Gin
*Artist

Just when you think there couldn't be anymore cool things a new thing comes out!

Quote:

Is there anything you don't know? You're making it so hard for me to guess your age.
Old 2010-06-26, 12:22   Link #12
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Well, seeing that I know very little about previous adaptions of the Green Hornet, I can go watch without any holds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Is there anything you don't know? You're making it so hard for me to guess your age.
I agree, I've been trying to guess his age for years but yet he keeps throwing me off.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 03:37   Link #13
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I wasn't a huge Green Hornet fan and this generally leaves me unimpressed.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 05:46   Link #14
Gordy Lechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

I'd have been happier if they'd left the time period in the '30s as well but so it goes.
Thanks to Bruce Lee's marvelous peformance, The Green Hornet is honestly only "The Green Hornet" in name only. It is Kato that really matters anyway.

Kato is the first Asian hero of consequence in global (aka westernized) media. The Hornet can walk off a cliff with a dynamite vest for all we Bruce Lee fans care.
Old 2010-06-27, 08:45   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
My age is dynamic! So too is my gender...

Seriously though, my parents did not like me watching television all the time when I was a wee bonnie lass, so they'd pull out some of the old Shadow and Green Hornet recordings (amongst others), and I would listen to them when I was younger. So, there's no great mystery here, just fan appreciation...
Old 2010-06-27, 14:09   Link #16
boggart
鍵っ子

Oh god... Jay Chou is going to ruin this...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote