AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-26, 14:42   Link #1
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Athletic thread

Greetings, Thy name is NamuSkull. This thread is dedicated to those who discuss about athletic stuff. However, it has to be about what you did or rather how you spend your time with it and vice versa. And please no talks of some athletic celebrities or famous teams like lakers and what not. This is not a topic about "what I watched on football last night" or "what team I'm rooting for." This is a topic telling yourself about what kind of athletic activities you do. Whether it be, soccer, golf, dancing, swimming, rock climbing, martial arts and so on.

Let me use myself as an example. I go jogging every morning. From my house to the gas station near my neighborhood and back. That's about two miles worth of musical jogging(Always bring i-pod to keep me focused and entertained). My endurance is slightly improving because before, I wasn't as active. The reason why I jog is because it helps me vent and it's just fun to feel the wind as you run(like sonic does). Now, you try.

There's one rule that should always be followed in this thread before you go nuts.
Be nice and courteous to others and no jerk attitudes or trolling.
Everyone deserves equal respect for whatever athletic activity they do and/or how they are.

Now go ahead and share. Na-mu....

-NamuSkull
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 21:27   Link #2
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Is sleeping and lying down watching anime athletic

I do like swimming but I havnt done it in a few years
Old 2010-06-26, 22:03   Link #3
ash0ka

Send a message via AIM to ash0ka Send a message via MSN to ash0ka
I've recently been coming up with a small routine to get myself in shape. The other day I hopped on a treadmill and found myself out of breath after only running 3/10 of a mile. Just a few years ago, I was running 5 miles a day when I was involved with track. It really put things in perspective for me. I've been lazing around way too much and not being productive. So I figure I'll start a routine and hopefully grow from it. Here is a look at what I'm planning. I'm also planning that after the first week continuously adding more sit-ups, push-ups, and doubling the running.

First week
50 sit-ups (two sets of 25)
40 push-ups (two sets of 20)
.25 mile run

Once I can get my bike fixed, I might rid of the running and switch it out with bicycling as I really miss biking.

Aside from exercising and bicycling, I'm not really into athletic activities. I used to play soccer and run track, but when I blew out my knees, all that ended.
ash0ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 00:47   Link #4
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
I'm not much of a sports person since I don't like sweating much. I've tried a couple of sports before because it was required to take up P.E classes. Handball caught my attention although I prefer standing on the sidelines and cheering instead. Yep that's way more fun

I've also considered taking up swimming because I don't feel I sweat or do I? xD

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 01:00   Link #5
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Well. Thanks for the feed back guys.

@Master Yoma. Lucky for you, I can't swim lol. But, I'd like to get into it one day.

@ash0ka. Try not to push yourself too much and good luck with you're planning.

@FragrantFlora. Never heard of this sort of sport. What's it like? =)
Old 2010-06-27, 01:25   Link #6
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamuSkull View Post

@FragrantFlora. Never heard of this sort of sport. What's it like? =)
Ahh Handball? Well it's kind of like a mix of basketball and soccer. The field setup is like that of soccer, 2 nets, there are also 2 teams. The goal is also similar to that of soccer, get the ball into the opponent's net while the other team's goalie tries to block the ball from getting in. But the people pass the ball along with their hands but you have to dribble once after 3 seconds of holding the ball and you have to pass it to other teammates. Sorry if I can't explain well xD

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 01:32   Link #7
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Nope, it's all good. If it's kind of a mix between basketball and soccer, I can kinda picture it already. Seems like fun.
Old 2010-06-27, 13:43   Link #8
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamuSkull View Post
This is a topic telling yourself about what kind of athletic activities you do. Whether it be, soccer, golf, dancing, swimming, rock climbing, martial arts and so on.
One of those don't belong in the list.

I used to play basketball and dodgeball. These days I just work out. I work out for the sake of keeping fit, and to challenge myself to push beyond the boundaries of discomfort and pain.

Imagine that's you're doing pushups. You do however many you think you physically can; you'll know, your body and your mind will tell you that you can't go on - that's when you do 10 more. And you can do it. And at the end of those 10 extra pushups that you suddenly found the hidden strength to do, you do 5 more, then 5 more, until you really can't go on. You'll be giving it your all, physically, mentally, and emotionally, until you fall to the floor, having given all that you had, feeling completely satisfied.

The sweet taste of victory.

*Of course, there's no need to force your yourself if you feel it's gonna hurt your body (especially your back/spine).
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 13:54   Link #9
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I was significantly more athletic as a younger child. When I turned 12, I had a massive growth spurt and gained lots of height while losing weight, ending up in the very precarious health position of being 5' 10" and weighing 112 pounds. I took a lot of injuries pushing myself the way I had on the track, in the dojo and on the basketball court, and got pretty frustrated with it. I decided to start going to the gym and adjusted to a four-meal-a-day plan and worked my way up to 135 pounds within a year. I got involved in scholarly and artistic endeavors pretty heavily around the time I was 16 and didn't really start working out again until this January, over five years later.

I've managed to move up to a weight of 145, though when you consider that I grew again to 6' 0", that's not that much of a gain. My target weight is 175, but I'm also trying to get my cardiac health back to where it was before a sinus infection permanently disfigured my interior nasal cavity, giving me breathing problems roughly equivalent to asthma. I try to work in a regular three-mile jog on a nearby university track, and I do a set of stadiums at the end of each lap. I'm also trying to get back into basketball and martial arts, since I really enjoyed both activities immensely.

The real pain is eating enough, actually.
Old 2010-06-27, 14:00   Link #10
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I'm not too much into sports, but I do play tennis a few days a week mostly to keep my health and exercise level up, along with some generic morning exercises and cycling to and from the nearest train station rather than taking a bus. I would like to start playing amateur baseball someday, when I have to time to dedicate to such a thing....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 14:23   Link #11
zette

I play basketball on a regular basis and also go to the gym three times a week, so yeah, I guess you can say I'm pretty athletic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I've managed to move up to a weight of 145, though when you consider that I grew again to 6' 0", that's not that much of a gain. My target weight is 175, but I'm also trying to get my cardiac health back to where it was before a sinus infection permanently disfigured my interior nasal cavity, giving me breathing problems roughly equivalent to asthma. I try to work in a regular three-mile jog on a nearby university track, and I do a set of stadiums at the end of each lap. I'm also trying to get back into basketball and martial arts, since I really enjoyed both activities immensely.

The real pain is eating enough, actually.
I certainly understand what you mean there. I'm currently 6'1" at 169 pounds but was 6'0" at 132 pounds when I started working out, and the hardest part about it all is not actually working out itself because that is actually quite fun, but rather having to eat a lot because I'm not the type with huge appetites.

Shame about your health problems, don't let it bring you down though!
Old 2010-06-27, 14:27   Link #12
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

About the only athletic "gift" I ever had (yup, past tense; I'm 35 now, well past my physical prime) was in long-distance running. I was nowhere near fast enough to compete at national levels, of course, but I was fast enough to be already completing 2.4km (1.5-mile) runs in 9min 30sec by the time I was 18.

That achievement was honed further by two-and-a-half years of gruelling military training. By the time I was commissioned, I was running 2.4km in 8:45 and clearing standard obstacle courses in 9:30.

I suppose it's because I've loved walking ever since I was a teen. My secondary school also had a policy of making us run a 5km cross-country course every Saturday, which I always strove to complete whereas many of my schoolmates fell out as soon as they could. I believe the running greatly helped to improve my all-round fitness, allowing me to sail through most physical-fitness tests at the time, from chin-ups to sit-ups and standing broad jumps.

That said, I was never great at any activity that required upper-body strength, such as swimming, for example. I'm an adequate swimmer, but it's not something I particularly enjoy.

In contrast, I was an avid cyclist for a while, riding all over Singapore on my Trek mountain bike. This was before I learnt how to drive, so my bike was my very own one-manpower vehicle at the time. That continued to be the case even after I got my licence, as it would be several more years before I had a car to drive.

Over the years, I dabbled in various sports, from basketball to canoeing, hapkido and archery, but was never seriously enthused by any of them.

I still love trekking, though I doubt that's considered "athletic". As for long-distance running, after "surviving" one full marathon about three years ago, I'm not exactly keen to get back into it again.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote