AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-16, 11:11   Link #381
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=740

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; but Claymore as we know it will have ended if Claire, Raki, Priscilla, or any of the three end up dying, especially the latter.
Yeah, that's why I think this fight will be postponed or end in a draw some how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Yagi's high school series is called Angel Densetsu. Clare, Teresa, Cynthia, and Raki are characters literally plucked from Angel Densetsu and thrown into Claymore. Even Angle wings is a common theme in it. And several scenes in Angel Densetsu where just redone for Claymore... such as Teresa feeding Clare for the first time (it's at the very end of Angel Densetsu)

The series starts ROFLMAO (Yagi does some great comedy), then slumps a bit towards the middle (around volume 9), and gets better towards the end (around volume 13) with the introduction of some new neighbors. Not bad for a series that was meant to be a one shot chapter.

In short the series is about the sweetest boy ever who has the face of a demon... so everyone judges him by his appearance and rarely does anyone understand the real him. It's a comedic martial arts story set in a high school.
I tried it actually and found it rather boring. I mean, it was funny, but just not funny enough for me I suppose. I don't know, I tried reading it while Kimi ni Todoke was airing, whose heroine who looks like the girl from The Ring so the jokes were pretty much the same.
Old 2010-07-16, 11:20   Link #382
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yeah, that's why I think this fight will be postponed or end in a draw some how.

I tried it actually and found it rather boring. I mean, it was funny, but just not funny enough for me I suppose. I don't know, I tried reading it while Kimi ni Todoke was airing, whose heroine who looks like the girl from The Ring so the jokes were pretty much the same.
I read it as a major Claymore fan wanting to see how Yagi had developed as an author. Even I got kinda disappointed with the middle but the end, for Claymore fans was worth it. I still ROFLMAO watching the main character trying to feed little Dietrich (well should rephrase that the girl who tell Clare about Raki near the goddesses statue whom i jokingly call little Dietrich) like Teresa feed Clare.

It was meant to be a one shot... so it's interesting for a literary perspective how an author got stuck doing it with no overarching plan and kept it going. Then took all the best parts of it and made it into a series completely different and made it way better. Some authors blow adapting old ideas into new stories, just look a Orsen Scott Cards Children of the Mind (sci-fi novel) it was a story he couldn't sell orginially but after Endar's Game he adapted it into that series and it still sucked.

Now you read way more manga than me... since I'm the anime guy who only picked up manga a year ago after reading Claymore. So you've likely seen tons of comedic high schools stuff way better than Angel Densetsu but I didn't read it for it's plot but to better see how the author has developed.
Old 2010-07-16, 11:21   Link #383
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
I agree; it already feels like every force is preventing them from fighting together; Claire's de-awakening, Raciella, the Ghosts...it's as if Fate is looking for any excuse imaginable to interrupt their fight.

The fight will end with a Draw - that's how I see it. It will end with neither of them dying, and the fight being postponed, probably indefinitely.
Old 2010-07-16, 11:30   Link #384
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
I agree; it already feels like every force is preventing them from fighting together; Claire's de-awakening, Raciella, the Ghosts...it's as if Fate is looking for any excuse imaginable to interrupt their fight.

The fight will end with a Draw - that's how I see it. It will end with neither of them dying, and the fight being postponed, probably indefinitely.
I've contemplated that too...

Food for thought: I just read a series (which I won't say what it is since this is a major spoiler for the series) where a young boy works his entire life to get revenge on the man who murdered his father (always too weak to kill the guy in a duel but the guy always spares him after their duels) only to have another kill him once he's finally strong enough (but still to stupid to keep his cool in combat). I've been wondering how Clare would take that if she was put in that position. He turned right around and attacked the person who killed him, aiming right at the head with his blades intent to kill. After he fails to kill him the character literally quits fighting and all but gives up on life, even not caring that he's become a slave (literally).

Now if anyone wants to ask me if I'm referring to a particular series VM me since I just gave away major spoilers... and no one else should have to find out this with out wanting to know.

Last edited by Ryus; 2010-07-16 at 12:17.
Old 2010-07-16, 12:27   Link #385
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Now you read way more manga than me... since I'm the anime guy who only picked up manga a year ago after reading Claymore. So you've likely seen tons of comedic high schools stuff way better than Angel Densetsu but I didn't read it for it's plot but to better see how the author has developed.
I've only been reading manga for a year and a half now actually. I watched the Claymore anime before reading the manga.
Old 2010-07-16, 12:37   Link #386
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
I've only been reading manga for a year and a half now actually. I watched the Claymore anime before reading the manga.
Then you have me beat by 3 months for reading manga.

Think I've read 9 series so far... (Claymore (all), Ghost in the Shell (all), Berserk (Volumes 1 - 10, likely will continue reading put it down when I was moving so I was just too busy to keep reading it), Full Metal Alchemist (all), Angel Densetsu (all), Vinland Saga (all), Akiria (reading Volume 2 at this very moment), Battle Angel Attia (read first 5 volumes but it got kinda boring with the whole deadly rollerblading sport, might pick it back up)... think that covers it....
Gangsta_Spanksta got me to pick up a few chapters of PunPun and two others but I can't for the life of me recall them one involved girl with split personality with big boobs and each personality knew a different form of martial arts and the other about swords that took on human female shapes when not in combat)

---

I too saw Claymore's anime before reading the manga... in fact it was a pause in the DVDs release that caused me to pick up the manga. Lucky for me it was between disc 4 and 5 so I read the battle in the north before watching it.
Old 2010-07-16, 14:36   Link #387
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:

Think I've read 9 series so far... (Claymore (all), Ghost in the Shell (all), Berserk (Volumes 1 - 10, likely will continue reading put it down when I was moving so I was just too busy to keep reading it), Full Metal Alchemist (all), Angel Densetsu (all), Vinland Saga (all), Akiria (reading Volume 2 at this very moment), Battle Angel Attia (read first 5 volumes but it got kinda boring with the whole deadly rollerblading sport, might pick it back up)... think that covers it....
Gangsta_Spanksta got me to pick up a few chapters of PunPun and two others but I can't for the life of me recall them one involved girl with split personality with big boobs and each personality knew a different form of martial arts and the other about swords that took on human female shapes when not in combat)

---

I too saw Claymore's anime before reading the manga... in fact it was a pause in the DVDs release that caused me to pick up the manga. Lucky for me it was between disc 4 and 5 so I read the battle in the north before watching it.
I wonder if most people saw the anime before reading the manga, because i know i did. After i noticed that manga's are better than animes, i stopped my anime spree and read manga, I blame claymore for that.
Old 2010-07-16, 14:41   Link #388
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:

I have 46 series in my complete list, 13 dropped, 12 stalled, and am reading 76.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
I wonder if most people saw the anime before reading the manga, because i know i did. After i noticed that manga's are better than animes, i stopped my anime spree and read manga, I blame claymore for that.
I would have raged so much if I read the manga first. You can notice when anime original material starts in any anime because of the sudden decrease in quality. But the Claymore anime end was good until I read the manga, then I realized how much potential that they gave up. It's like Rosario + Vampire anime - nothing like the manga and the manga is so good. The protagonist is a wimp in the anime but gar in the manga. You'd think most people would prefer the gar, I guess the producers and writers disagree.
Old 2010-07-16, 15:23   Link #389
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
I have 46 series in my complete list, 13 dropped, 12 stalled, and am reading 76.

I would have raged so much if I read the manga first. You can notice when anime original material starts in any anime because of the sudden decrease in quality. But the Claymore anime end was good until I read the manga, then I realized how much potential that they gave up. It's like Rosario + Vampire anime - nothing like the manga and the manga is so good. The protagonist is a wimp in the anime but gar in the manga. You'd think most people would prefer the gar, I guess the producers and writers disagree.
I read over 300 watch 9, 7 completed(Hate reading completed series, tempts meh to skipp to see how it ends, unless they haven't finished translating yet) and 10 completed, I've dropped 3 manga and around 30 animes, I'm very picky. for some reason. But yeah, i didn't like how Claymore ended after i read the manga.
Old 2010-07-16, 15:38   Link #390
MalakTawus

I agree that this battle could end in a draw with both Claire and Priscilla almost dead.....
Old 2010-07-16, 16:14   Link #391
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalakTawus View Post
I agree that this battle could end in a draw with both Claire and Priscilla almost dead.....
I think the most likely outcome, in an attempt to appease everyone, is like that: a Draw, where Priscilla is "defeated", but Claire does not go in for the kill for whatever reason, whether or not someone stops her.

Sounds alot like the anime, now that I think about it, but, obviously barring Raki who isn't there, something may happen to stop Claire from killing her, but Claire will nevertheless beat Priscilla in combat, so fans won't complain and Claire will perhaps feel better about herself, if only a little.

I don't personally like this, since I've already ranted how I don't want Claire to attain that level of power like that(and if she does, I hope it's temporary); however, I get the feeling this will be the most likely outcome anyway, regardless of my feelings.

Then again, maybe it does end with either or both of them dead(more then likely Priscilla): if it does, I think my interest in the story may lessen to a passing interest, because I don't see how Yagi can develop the story any further without it deviating to unrecognizable territory(again, something i've already gone into).
Old 2010-07-16, 16:23   Link #392
Ryuken
Claymore #01

Quote:
I think the most likely outcome, in an attempt to appease everyone, is like that: a Draw, where Priscilla is "defeated", but Claire does not go in for the kill for whatever reason, whether or not someone stops her.
Yes, this was something that I anticipated a long time back, and it's something very possible indeed.
Old 2010-07-16, 16:30   Link #393
Korinov
The Burned Man walks!

I don't think Clare will die here. The story is just too focused on her for Yagi to kill the main character... and if Clare dies, what's next? Miria leading the ghosts in a final assault against the Org headquarters? It's unlikely the Org would offer significant resistence, as they've just lost nş 1 and 2, and we've seen already that numbers 3 and 4 (Audrey and Rachel) wouldn't stand a chance against someone like Miria. Maybe Raki could be the man there, but it would be completely stupid that the MiB could turn him into a killing machine in just a few days.

So, regardless of the outcome of this fight, I don't see Clare dead and I also think she won't gain an exaggerate power-up. Indeed, besides the knowledge from Raphaela (which is already a HUGE power-up, maybe not in fighting terms, but I believe it will be very important after the fight against Prissy), I doubt she'll have any more power-ups in what's left of the story.

Over-powered characters, specially protagonists, tend to produce boring stories. Take Aizen in Bleach i.e., he's so over right now everybody knows only Ichigo earning a massive power-up will be able to defeat him... an so, the story becomes predictable. I don't want Claymore to go that way, that's why I agree to Raki becoming a non-aging hybrid but not to becoming a new great power as a result.
Old 2010-07-16, 16:56   Link #394
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinov View Post
So, regardless of the outcome of this fight, I don't see Clare dead and I also think she won't gain an exaggerate power-up. Indeed, besides the knowledge from Raphaela (which is already a HUGE power-up, maybe not in fighting terms, but I believe it will be very important after the fight against Prissy), I doubt she'll have any more power-ups in what's left of the story.

Over-powered characters, specially protagonists, tend to produce boring stories. Take Aizen in Bleach i.e., he's so over right now everybody knows only Ichigo earning a massive power-up will be able to defeat him... an so, the story becomes predictable. I don't want Claymore to go that way, that's why I agree to Raki becoming a non-aging hybrid but not to becoming a new great power as a result.
I would like to see a 2v1 Clare and Raki vs Priscilla. That would be nice. But yeah Kubo basically ruined Bleach by making Aizen that powerful, but then again there are still people where the King is and we don't know how strong they are. But i don't want to see Claymore turn out like that also.
Old 2010-07-16, 19:03   Link #395
evil_kenshin

Quote:
I would like to see a 2v1 Clare and Raki vs Priscilla. That would be nice. But yeah Kubo basically ruined Bleach by making Aizen that powerful, but then again there are still people where the King is and we don't know how strong they are. But i don't want to see Claymore turn out like that also.
The problem with Aizen isn't that his too powerful the problem is kubo makes him know everything with a "just like planned" moment. Even the current chapters events which would be impossible to know he again makes a "just like planned" moment.

a 2 v 1 is possible in the future but it would have to be after the orgs defeat (Raki would be able to convince the other hybrids to drop their arms considering his negotiation skills with villagers) rather than before it.
Old 2010-07-16, 19:13   Link #396
Cyclone
Transient Guest

I think many of you saying they don't want Priscilla to lose are really just saying: "I don't want the manga to end".
Simply put, Priscilla must die at some point (and I wont be sorry to see her go), and if this doesn't do it, then NOTHING ever will. A draw is at this point is pointless. I think Claymore will be ending in about a dozen (or so) chapters - just enough time for Priscilla to die, tell Clare about Raki, and Clare take down the Org and rescue the doufus in distress and bring peace to the Island. To drag it out further would be pointless.
Even if Claymore ends soon, look at the bright side - Yagi will be free to write about something else. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure I'll find that interesting too, and I'll be able to follow it right from chapter one. (And when the 3 year aniversary figure of a popular character comes out from that series I'll go ahead and buy 50 of them and sell them at a 10 to 20 fold mark up 5 years later )
Old 2010-07-16, 19:41   Link #397
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
. To drag it out further would be pointless.

the thing is that doesn't really solve anything, even if they take down the org's forces on the island the mainland would just invade and start again. This is why Rubel said that he couldn't just destroy the island's one it had to be something that happens on both the mainland & island for it to be effective.

so even if they do destroy the org on the island its a temporary solution at best with a re-invasion happening anywhere from 3-4 months (enough time for the org to realise their island forces are gone) after the destruction.
Old 2010-07-16, 20:29   Link #398
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
I think many of you saying they don't want Priscilla to lose are really just saying: "I don't want the manga to end".
Simply put, Priscilla must die at some point (and I wont be sorry to see her go), and if this doesn't do it, then NOTHING ever will. A draw is at this point is pointless. I think Claymore will be ending in about a dozen (or so) chapters - just enough time for Priscilla to die, tell Clare about Raki, and Clare take down the Org and rescue the doufus in distress and bring peace to the Island. To drag it out further would be pointless.
You're kind of missing the point.

Tacking on to what evil-kenshin said, unless Yagi is ending the manga soon, it's meaningless to kill Priscilla off. For me, it's mostly a sentimental thing; if she dies, it feels like one of the final bastions that's been around since the beginning of the manga is dead, and Claymore is no longer Claymore: Yagi has made humongous differences in the story recently, and the whole thing seems to be shifting.

So unless the story IS ending very soon, it would be meaningless to kill her off. The only thing it would do, is mark it as the final straw in Claymore's transformation; like I said, some people feel like Claymore has turned into a new chapter with the Abyssal's demise, but if Priscilla dies, I feel it would feel as if the original story has ended entirely; her fate is tied too deeply into Claire's, who is arguably the story's most important character. To kill Priscilla off, and continue the story is just too much. I might as well be reading a new story.

Even if Yagi were to end the story soon, their are too many plot-points left to do, and in a quick-timespan, the story would just even look even more sillier; Claymore would simply become yet another story that was good for the most part, but suffered by another stupid rushed ending; in the past 2 dozen chapters alone, everything has turned upside-down. Killing off Priscilla, and rushing in to save Raki and defeat the Organization would just be the cherry on top the rushed "what-the-hell-happened-to-this-manga" ice-cream that has been brewing since the Ghosts re-emerged and defeated Agatha.

No; the best path, in my opinion, would be to continue to develop everything slowly, and keep the fight at a draw. I'm already also hoping that all this is wrapped up, so we can some sort of a break, and the rushed "action and beautiful artwork>long drawn out story" will reverse and change back to what Claymore was, and should be. I prefer Claymore to continue for another good long while because, yes, I don't want it to end just yet, and for the sake of story ending on a good note rather then a bad one.
Old 2010-07-16, 20:44   Link #399
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Even if Claymore ends soon, look at the bright side - Yagi will be free to write about something else. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure I'll find that interesting too, and I'll be able to follow it right from chapter one. (And when the 3 year aniversary figure of a popular character comes out from that series I'll go ahead and buy 50 of them and sell them at a 10 to 20 fold mark up 5 years later )
Yeah i don't think you could end this series in a dozen chapters anyway. I agree with Shiek, it would be a rushed ending, and that would totally fail if it was. I say that Claymore still, at minimum, has a year left or more. I mean why would you end it here. In my opinion, it'd be like trying to end Toriko and One Piece this year. The rushed ending would suck.
Old 2010-07-16, 20:55   Link #400
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Yeah i don't think you could end this series in a dozen chapters anyway. I agree with Shiek, it would be a rushed ending, and that would totally fail if it was. I say that Claymore still, at minimum, has a year left or more. I mean why would you end it here. In my opinion, it'd be like trying to end Toriko and One Piece this year. The rushed ending would suck.
well more than a year left to go, assuming yagi is sticking with the 25 volume series plan

when chapter 106 is released we'll have 19 volumes worth of manga, so with 37 chapters (assuming yagi sticks to the 6 chapters a volume his been doing up to now) to go that's 3 and a bit years left to go.