AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-29, 00:51   Link #181
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
And just because every other shonen anime does it, doesn't make it right...
There was once a time when these shonen's moved at a good fair pace... but as they got closer to the manga they realized they needed to stall for time. there are many ways they can stall, but they choose the worst methods, namely dragging out actions and making them last as long as possible... there is such a thing as building up tension but this goes way beyond it.

The most ideal method is to create filler material... either create filler episodes to let you stall long enough so that you can run the canon episodes at a fair pace (which can result in painful filler arcs if the anime team has no talent, but i think it's worth it for GOOD canon episodes), or fill the canon episodes with filler material that flows well with the action that's going on (a more preferred option if the anime team can't write a decent filler episode)
You misunderstand. My comment to Rori was not meant to defend the bad pacing of these episodes (1 chapter an episode is never good unless sufficient filler is used (ala some of the recent Naruto episodes)). Rather, I was commenting on the fact that Rori acknowledged that his critique ("this series treats us as if we are retards") was relevant to all Shounen/Anime, and yet continued to issue the same critique of One Piece as if it were somehow supposed to be different. If "treating us like retards" is the same for all Shounen series (in reality, it is probably the same for +80% of all television, and +60% of all film and literature (these are just personal numbers and should not be treated as anything more than that)), then why harshly critique One Piece when it does the same as it's brethren? Why hold One Piece to different standards?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 02:15   Link #182
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ Because One Piece is supposed to be an above average shounen and not "just another anime". I don't treat it as a mediocrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Because that's the basis for manga-to-anime adaptations, obviously. It's the standard by which we judge pacing.
Major mistake you are doing there. Pacing is not measured in pages but in context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Shonen manga isn't for you, so read something else. Stop your incessant complaining.
Complaining is fun too. Makes even a bad episode to be entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Discussions are about all kinds of opinions, not just blind praise
Or perhaps I should just say, "if you don't like his opinions, go read another forum"
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I find those kind of responses when i think of how the bleach manga forum is 90% complaining... apparently it's only ok to complain when everyone else is doing it
It's a problem when you belong to the minority. I was complaining about it some years back on another forum and I was banned. Now, I will be banned if I say something good (fat chance I 'll ever write a good thing about it though)

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-08-29 at 02:26.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 04:44   Link #183
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Personally i didn't find anything wrong with the pacing for this weeks episode. I mean this is the standard for manga to anime adaptions, and we all should be very aware of that now seeing as though the show has been airing for over 10 years now.

Great episode anyway. Truly loved the music placement, especially for the very last scene at the end after Oar's was attacked by Moria. That made a heavy scene all the more emotional.

Do we have a preview for next weeks episode Blackbeard D. Kuma?
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 05:45   Link #184
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Shonen manga isn't for you, so read something else. Stop your incessant complaining.
What is wrong with complaining?
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 08:44   Link #185
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
^ Because One Piece is supposed to be an above average shounen and not "just another anime". I don't treat it as a mediocrity.
What's this "supposed to be"? Was Oda chosen amongst all others as "The One" and his work is "supposed to be" better because of that? Additionally, whether Oda is "better" that his contemporaries are, is kind of a side-point considering he does not write or direct the anime, which is the medium we are supposed to be discussing.

But, whatever, I expected bad pacing (mostly because the anime is so damn close to the manga) and I got bad pacing...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-08-29 at 11:19.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 11:06   Link #186
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Damn I feel for Oars. Sure he's one tough guy, but getting attacked by three Shichibukai is just insane. The fact that he could move at all after those three attacks is crazy. Of course he's pretty much doomed after that last shot. Just wanted to save Ace so much that he pushed too far ahead. The only way to do it is to slowly move forward as a group since the defence is too strong to try anything else.

Though also feel bad for Ace. Watching all this would be horrifying especially since he can't take any action. I can't imagine how crazed he's going to look when Luffy finally arrives on the scene.

On a lighter note, nice fighting by Hancock . Made sure to own enough of the navy so her attacks wouldn't get in the way of saving Ace.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 11:30   Link #187
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Major mistake you are doing there. Pacing is not measured in pages but in context.
Not in this case. If you watch shonen animes, you'll see that chapter coverage is the main basis for their pacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Complaining is fun too. Makes even a bad episode to be entertaining.
I certainly acknowledge that the pacing of these episodes could be better. But if you're going to complain about how the story/fighting is always explained to the audience, shonen might not be for you.

Anyone here noticed that Doflamingo had a new laugh?

Next week's episode preview: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/GPplayer/e/G...piece&type=flv
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 14:30   Link #188
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Not in this case. If you watch shonen animes, you'll see that chapter coverage is the main basis for their pacing.

I certainly acknowledge that the pacing of these episodes could be better. But if you're going to complain about how the story/fighting is always explained to the audience, shonen might not be for you.
Sorry, FMAB nulifies your claims. The story was told more freely to just following the chapters to the letter, while the explaining was left to minimum.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 16:50   Link #189
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Sorry, FMAB nulifies your claims. The story was told more freely to just following the chapters to the letter, while the explaining was left to minimum.
FMAB? Is that the acronym for "Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood"? If so, that doesn't nullify my claims because that series is not shonen.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 17:24   Link #190
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
FMAB? Is that the acronym for "Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood"? If so, that doesn't nullify my claims because that series is not shonen.
Acutally it is... I do believe that Shonen is a term more for demographic, not genre...
shonen is a rather broad term that can fit for just about any series targeted to a young-teenage male audience. It's not just exclusive to the epic long fighting animes/manga

though going back to your point
Quote:
Not in this case. If you watch shonen animes, you'll see that chapter coverage is the main basis for their pacing.
Wrong kind of pacing... what you are talking about the pace at which the plot advances
The pace we have been talking about is how quickly the episode moves; not the pace of the story but the pace of the action.
And the pacing for the previous few episodes has been incredibly slow...
This most recent episode for instance, it covered no more than one chapter of material just like the last episode, but this episode had better pacing... most of the episode was high action and moved fast and slowed down when it was appropriate; namely to build up on Oar's eventual ownage and downfall... again, I feel it was a step too far and was still a bit too slow, but this episode was handled better than last episode. Just because the plot does not advance very far does NOT mean the episode must be slowed down to match it... include GOOD filler to keep the action high paced

Last edited by Slayerx; 2010-08-29 at 17:47.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 19:14   Link #191
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
As an amateur writer, when I describe a non-action scene usually takes a lot less space than an action scene. That means, a chapter full of battle would be a lot longer than a peaceful one. In manga form, again, the action would take considerable amount of frames and pages. But in anime form, the action literally lasts a lot less than the talking or just walking around. That effectively means that 1 chapter of talking may feel in anime form a lot more complete than a chapter of no talking and just action. Thus the pacing in space is measured in context as I said. One monologue that fills just a frame in manga will last entire minutes in anime, while 10 frames of action will last only one minute.

Right now, One Piece is full of action. One chapter per episode is not enough.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 20:19   Link #192
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Wrong kind of pacing... what you are talking about the pace at which the plot advances
The pace we have been talking about is how quickly the episode moves; not the pace of the story but the pace of the action.
And the pacing for the previous few episodes has been incredibly slow...
It's to be expected that action scenes will last longer in anime form than in manga form. As for the reaction shots of characters, they don't hinder the pacing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Right now, One Piece is full of action. One chapter per episode is not enough.
It is enough when they add their own filler into the canon material.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 02:18   Link #193
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ If it were non stop action between secondary characters type of filler, I would gladly accept it.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 17:30   Link #194
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
^ And what problem did you have with the filler scene of Coby being afraid? That scene just helped to convey his character development. One Piece isn't all about fighting; it has much more depth than that.

Just for the record, I'm not attacking you simply because you're complaining. I'm attacking you because from a lot of your posts that I've read, you incessantly (meaning constantly; it seems some people didn't understand this word) complain about something. Some of your complaints are valid, but some of them are quite frankly absolute nonsense. But I digress; everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it may be .
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 17:38   Link #195
Kallen4life
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Dofla is awesome

same with Kuma, that DF of his really is one of the most powerful I think

poor Oars


Moria actually FIGHTING ? :O le gasp
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 17:38   Link #196
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Some of your complaints are valid, but some of them are quite frankly absolute nonsense. But I digress; everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it may be .
Oh dang, geez, the things a guy writes ain't valid 100%. Shoot the guy.
Or maybe you "didn't get it." Or maybe having an opinion is better than not having one and parroting what others say. Or maybe off topic and ad hominem.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 17:44   Link #197
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
Dofla is awesome
Yeah, he seemed even more malicious in this than in the manga. It's like he was really enjoying himself with all of his maniacal laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
poor Oars
The music made Oars' suffering even more sad, I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
Moria actually FIGHTING ? :O le gasp
It just goes to show how dangerous the guy can be when he's not lazy.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 17:48   Link #198
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Oh dang, geez, the things a guy writes ain't valid 100%. Shoot the guy.
Isn't the whole point of an argument to try and convince someone that you're right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Or maybe you "didn't get it." Or maybe having an opinion is better than not having one and parroting what others say. Or maybe off topic and ad hominem.
This has nothing to do with what I'm saying.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 13:04   Link #199
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England
Age: 25
I have to say, this latest episode was really good. Seeing how much Oars was able to help the cause as well as the power of the Shichibukai in action teaming up to take Oars down. Was really emotional to see how much Oars wanted to save Ace. Yet we've yet to get to the real meat in this arc, I really am that excited about how it progresses.
__________________

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 10:01   Link #200
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Oars was just a big softie at heart. He was so willing to throw his own life away just to save Ace....that was a really touching flashback they showed..especially with that music they always use in such situations.

Oars did great though. He decimated the giant squad with such ease...he totally pwned a Vice-Admiral level giant. I actually felt pretty bad for that Lacroix guy.

I just wonder where the hell the pirates were while this was happening. They were supposed to cover Oars, yet Kuma was given plenty of time to pull off that Ursus Shock attack..

Poor Oars
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.